my 5.3 ls turbo s13 build

Blast down the 1320? Love the 1/8 mile action? Here's your forum.
rb25drag
Car: 1990 Nissan 240SX 5.3 Chevy + 60mm turbo + blow threw carb.

Well ive not been on here in a while. I sold my rb setup thank goodness and I decided to buy the chevy ls 5.3, then i decided to add ,y 60mm precision turbo + a blow threw carb setup. Im tired of dealing with wiring and fuel injection for a while. So im trying something new.

Motor came out of a 2000 Suburban, Not sure of the mileage.

I got it stripped and started the mock up on the turbo + headers

The headers I bought were godspeed and were for a 2000 camaro

I had to modify the crossover pipe for it to clear my steering shaft.
I also had to modify the front core support, the radiator was never going to clear the turbo So i relocated the radiator and it now sets like a camaro with a slant.

I got the engine bay all cleaned back up and re-painted

I had to notch the frame for the turbo exhaust to fit

I had to notch the core support crossover for the radiator hose to clear in its new location

I had to notch the crossmember for the gto oil pan to clear and set back as low and far as possible

I bought these transdapt motor mounts, they weld to your frame. I had to modify them just a little and cut them a little shorter, but they worked out great.

Gto oil pan fitted

Bought the eldebrock victor jr carb intake

Spector turbo hat

Aeromotive fuel pump + frp

Got the oil return welded into the oilpan

Bought the Redneck performance 2spd powerglide with 3500 stall + transbrake

Got the motor in and bolted up

I used the nissan alternator and made a custom bracket

turbo and radiator clearance = TIGHT! but works

my exhaust routed

wastegate installed

Transmisssion crossmember built

Holley 650 double pumper setup for a blow threw turbo, custom floats + metering blocks etc

taylor 10.4mm race wires

ls1 electric water pump

I took a q45 differential and took the ring n pinion out of it 3.54 gear ratio and i put it in my stock r200 case (factory 4.08) so now i will have a final gear of 3.54, should help load my turbo more.

and here is the most recent photo's got the intercooler piping welded up

I have not fired the car up yet, still gotta weld some fittings in my gas tank + run my gas lines, I still need my msd timing controller and a few other nic nacks, but it should be fired up within a month.

enjoy and to anyone who wants a build similar :naughty: hope ur good at fabricating, ive spent the last 8 months making it all fit and work.

USsil80

that thing looks wicked... only thing though is will the turbo hit the radiator if the motor rocks???
and what are you doing for a fuel tank to run that pump.. stock or fuel cell?

rb25drag

I am going to use the stock fuel tank, we built a pickup tube inside the sump for a #10 feed and were welding #8 return into it.

With the transdapt biscuit mounts it only allows the motor to flex about 1/4 inch, so I shouldn't have any problems.

meet07
Car: 89 180sx rb25det

I see some frame twisting in your near future...lol

rb25drag

Well after several months of struggling, junk yard motor turned out to be junk, so I built a new motor. Its a 5.3 iron block, punched .110 over, scat h-beam rods, je forged pistons, arp everything, comp cam .614 lift, comp valve springs etc. Finally got the motor in and running, now I just gotta work out the bugs and get it to the dyno. this car has so much tq there is no comparing to any nissan motor. So far I'm enjoying the new setup.

rb25drag

savatoge
Car: 95 240SX SE KA-T

Nice work! I'm working on an S13 coupe drag build, with a VH45DE, single turbo.

I noticed that turbo oil drainback is practically horizontal...are you relying on G forces under acceleration to assist in drainback?

rb25drag

The oil return is close but it does set above the drain a few inches. It works great, no issue's @ all.

rb25drag

I have not really updated this thread in a while. Build is pretty much finished with some small tweaking. I've been making some track passes tuning the suspension in. The car dyno'd a few months back @ 486hp and 490lb tq. So far the best pass is 6.60@ 109mph with 1.50 60ft

Here is a few video's of me doing some testing a few weeks ago.

I upped the 2step to 3600 on this launch, only got a half track pass, my dash gauges popped out and hit my fuel pump switch shutting the car down.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IFQMEG0orDg

I raced a Wagon here
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-GHV5vzu5-c

Raced a Mustang gt here, Can you say HALF TRACKED? lol Silly Fords
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZjCSRMaruQ

Best race of the night, me vs a Nova, Nova pulled me out of the lights, but i came back ftw top end.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lS91RJbvt9c

Return to “Nissan Drag Racing Forum”