muffler trouble

The Nissan Versa Tech Discussion forum is the place to discuss Versa performance modifications and maintenance.
carorules

Had the same problem a month ago at 34 000 KM on a 2010 Versa.

Was able to get it fix for 50$ at a muffler place. They said this should buy me about 2 years before it gives up again and I might have to replace the whole thing then.. Probably won't have the car anymore by then, it's giving me too much trouble already.

arms0258
Car: 2010 Nissan versa hatchback

Hah.. Same just happened to me.. Pipe broke from coupler before muffler.. Rest of the system is fine.. Probably from salt and vibrations over time..

steve_rolfeca

Same problem here. 2011 Versa Hatch, gently driven, 40,000Km.

I've contacted Downey Nissan here in London, Ontario to see what they can do.

I've had zero complaints with this vehicle, except for a rather bizarre part failure that was covered under warranty:

At less than 20,000Km, I heard a loud, almost explosive bang from under the right front corner of the car while driving slowly through a parking lot. There were no further symptoms after the noise, except a slight, occasional "gronking" noise from that corner when making tight turns at low speed.

It turned out that the spring had a flaw in the steel, and had broken. The reason that the ride height, etc., didn't change, was because the break was right up at the very top of the spring, and wasn't in one of the active coils.

Given the excellent way the service department has treated me in the past, I'm hopeful that they can do something for me under a goodwill warranty.

goosetifer
Car: 2010 Nissan Versa Hatchback

Picture: https://plus.google.com/108076383674559 ... 4559845568

This is the connection between the muffler and the resonator assembly. For context see the diagram here: https://www.rockauto.com/catalog/morein ... 454&jpid=0

2010 nissan versa hatchback with 60K miles on it. Maryland driven, some salt and snow.

Tch
Car: 2012 Nisan juke

:cry: I have a 2012 Juke and my muffler broke at the flange. Dealership wants to charge 450? How can this not be a recall when so many of us are experiencing this flaw in the car.

doglvrx3
Car: 2011 Nissan Versa hatchback

My muffler was rattling and just about fell off on my 2011 Versa hatchback. mechanic did a "flange" job as new system is $575! I have an extended warranty. Does anyone know if the extended (Gold Preferred) covers this problem? The car has 50,000 miles on it. I'd like to arm myself with some info before going to the dealership. thanks.

doglvrx3
Car: 2011 Nissan Versa hatchback

Apparently exhaust system is not covered. I'm sorry I ever bought this car. Battery died at 40k, now the exhaust system at 50k. POS!

surfaholic
Car: 2011 Versa SL Sport

Same issue here - 2011 Versa - battery and the muffler flange cracked within a week of each other at just under 43,000 km. Very minimal signs of rust under the car as I drive in Vancouver and just a few ski trips. sigh.... my last car went almost 90,000 km over 10 years before I changed the muffler! This seems far to early! Taking it up with Nissan and my extended warranty but not holding my breath.

prgallady
Car: nissan

I had issues with my muffler, actually it fell off while my 18 year old was driving car in the neighborhood. Thank God he was almost home and it wasn't in the highway. I currently put a complaint with the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) also a complaint going with the Attorney Generals Office in Virginia and only have 47000 miles. If anyones is interested please let me know. They should definetly be responsible for defaulty and crappy vehicles and assembly of faulty mufflers...this is what Nissan states in their latest letter, "An automobile is made up of thousands of various components and parts which are made by man, and assembled by man. Our wish is that there is never a mechanical failure; however there is no guarantee given, but our word in the form of the warranty to assure that if a failure does occur, we will cover the repair. While this is not the experience we would desire for our customer, Nissan has never failed to comply with the warranty that was given." They choose to not cover their parts and cover their butts instead...let Nissan know you are upset and you want to be reimbursed for your issues. Tell them your pissed off this is nuts and unwarranted and irresponsible behaviour!! :mad:
Call Virginia Attorney General Office and place a complaint RIGHT NOW, TODAY the more people we have complaining then we can have Nissan move their butts to fix these issues 1.800.552.9963 or 804.786.2042.

Elitemma
Car: 2009 Nissan Versa

Same thing happened to my wife's 2009 with 65,000 miles. Driving in Philadelphia 3 hours from the house. I'm trying to put a sleeve on it. Advance nor auto zone have the right size sleeve. Either it is too smalland wont go over or too big and won't tighten. Anyone know the stock size so I can do it my self and not spend hundreds of dollars? I'm going to weld the muffler side but not the exhaust since it's right beside the gas tank. Oh and I had to replace the front coil spring, it snapped in half when I say in it in the driveway...... That's makes you feel real good about yourself. I am under 200lbs that happened 6 months BEFORE the recall on the springs.

kngo22609
Car: 2014 Nissan Versa Note

My 2014 Nissan versa note has just the same muffler problem, breaking clean right at the flange. How can this not be a recall?

Return to “Versa Technical Discussions”