Mounting front and rear license plates on 2016 Rogue

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
elric
Car: 2016 Nissan Rogue SV FWD

The very cold temps have finally let up and it's a torrid 25 degrees today. Got out with my two new Wisconsin plates and there were two issues. First, the dealership used the wrong screws on the back plate.

No problemo, they are M6 x 16mm [pitch of 1.0]. Ace Hardware to the rescue...

And there was no front license plate bracket... My '14 was bought new in WI, so it came with it. This '16 came from Kansas, and they don't do that.

Front License Plate Bracket 96210-4BA0A / 62740 and thanks to the power of Capitalism, I have a Nissan produced bracket inbound. There are lots of "OEM" or "Nissan Part Number 96210-4BA0A" out there, and they aren't complete with fasteners or they don't look right.

Boy oh boy, Nissan has a bracket racket...

:ohsnap

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

You might try an all-points search inside the vehicle, people often chuck the factory front frame into the bottom of the spare tire well or some other nook or cranny. I wouldn't exactly call it a racket, Nissan does give you one free with the car and most folks don't trash them. ;)

elric

VStar650CL wrote:
Thu Feb 18, 2021 10:01 am
You might try an all-points search inside the vehicle, people often chuck the factory front frame into the bottom of the spare tire well or some other nook or cranny.
I pulled up the spare while looking for the tow hook, nothing under the tire but straw or some sort of grass. I looked in the glove box, nothing but user's manuals.

Anyways, I stopped at Ace and picked up two stainless steel M6x16 cheese head screws [1.0 pitch] and two stainless steel washers. The self-tapping screws had roughed up the threads just a litte, but I reverse-turned the metric screws slowly, until I felt the start of the thread.

Then I slowly started to turn them in. Once I had about one thread started, it went smoothly.

The second image is one of the dimples in the nose where the hole for the mounting screw will [unfortunately] be drilled.

:frown:
Attachments
2016_Rogue_Rear_Plate.jpg
2016_Rogue_Rear_Plate.jpg (35.17 KiB) Viewed 4456 times
2016_Rogue_Front_Plate_Dimple.jpg
2016_Rogue_Front_Plate_Dimple.jpg (18.89 KiB) Viewed 4456 times

elric

Sorry, my Rogue was built by "Renault-Samsung" in Busan, Korea....

https://group.renault.com/en/our-compan ... san-plant/

As such, it uses the M6x16mm screws for the rear license plate.

Metric.. grumble.. the glory days when "a pint's a pound the world around"

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

elric wrote:
Sat Feb 20, 2021 7:38 am
Metric.. grumble.. the glory days when "a pint's a pound the world around"
Lol... we just got about 34 cm of snow here in central Arkansas. If anyone is wondering, that's 56.67 license plate screw diameters.
:rotfl

elric

I went through Nissan Parts, they don't call out the screw grommets that actually install in the bumper.

Nevermind, license plate nuts are everywhere. I think I got a square file somewhere. Round hole and a square shank, what could ever go wrong? I looked at the Nissan bracket kit, J-nuts for the license plate scews, and what looks to be two self-tapping metal screws... That doesn't look altogether impressive. When my '14 was totalled, the plate bracket was still there. Plate was bent up to heck, but it still had to be unscrewed from the bracket....

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

You could always get rubber well-nuts and skip the square hole:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Wellnuts-Metri ... SwYshUZTKy

elric

Huh, the auction states that they don't stay flexible forever, but if I get five years out of them, that would be fine.

Reminds me of an anchor...

M6 Metric Well Nut specs:
Overall Height: 16.00mm (0.630")
Barrel Diameter: 12.70mm (0.500")
Flange Diameter: 16.00mm (0.630")
Flange Height: 1.30mm (0.051")

Wonder what the thickness of the bumper is? That would be the grip range.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

elric wrote:
Sat Feb 20, 2021 9:49 am
Huh, the auction states that they don't stay flexible forever, but if I get five years out of them, that would be fine.

Reminds me of an anchor...

M6 Metric Well Nut specs:
Overall Height: 16.00mm (0.630")
Barrel Diameter: 12.70mm (0.500")
Flange Diameter: 16.00mm (0.630")
Flange Height: 1.30mm (0.051")

Wonder what the thickness of the bumper is? That would be the grip range.
They are expansion anchors, just rubber ones for panels. They use lots of them on motorcycle fairings because they act as vibration isolators and won't crack ABS or Lexan. I'd guesstimate the bumper covers are something like 1/8"~3/16", not very thick. You're not drilling into the metal bumper, just the cover.

elric

My "Bracket-Licenc 96210-4BA0A" came in the mail today.

I whipped out my Starrett calipers and got somewhat close dimensions
2016_Plate_Bracket_Well.jpg
2016_Plate_Bracket_Well.jpg (4.99 KiB) Viewed 4313 times
For some unknown reason.I thought the wellnut's head would be in the pocket. Guess not. It now appears that an M6x14mm [with a washer] will pass through the through hole, then the wellnut will be fitted directly onto a 1/2" hole through the bumper cover. Then the M6 is tightened. At this point, maybe an externally toothed washer between the wellnut rim and the bottom of the bracket screw pocket?

How do you keep the wellnut from rotating when you can't reach it?

:confused:

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

It's an expansion fastener with a threaded nut buried in the hole, the diameter of the rubber will increase as you snug it. If the hole is properly sized (a close slip-fit) you won't have any issues getting it to tighten. The rim will also be rubber covered, so a little down-pressure will tend to keep it from skidding.

elric

Ace hardware doesn't do well nuts. Fastenal doesn't seem to stock them [ship from manufacturer], Menards has somewhat long ones which might / should work.

Found the little corner cover for the passenger side little trapezoidal cover in the floor next to the divide n conquer shelves. My dog will fall through the gaps in the shelves [stepping between them will make them fold upwards], gonna have to put down some plywood to cover the shelves. Quite a big gap to the rear of the folded-down rear seats.

Dislike the cup holders in the back of the rear seats. They only "work" when the seat is folded down. No third row seats.

Mileage after that deep freeze was 28 and a scosh, not bad. Looking at installing a rear hitch for recovery and LIGHT hauling. For BIG things, the Siverado W/T has a tow package and a beefy transmission. When everything melts and dries out, I might get enthusiastic and get the Nissan tow wiring harness. Need to get one of them there forked screwdriver thingies to pop out the trim fasteners so I can get to the wiring plugs...

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

elric wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 11:32 am
Looking at installing a rear hitch for recovery and LIGHT hauling.
Nothing wrong with loads up to about 1K lbs, but be aware that towing puts a lot of shear stress on the CVT fluid that doesn't occur under any other circumstances. Keep it fresh, and if you tow frequently, bump the normal 30K interval down to 20~25K.

elric

VStar650CL wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 11:42 am
elric wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 11:32 am
Looking at installing a rear hitch for recovery and LIGHT hauling.
Nothing wrong with loads up to about 1K lbs, but be aware that towing puts a lot of shear stress on the CVT fluid that doesn't occur under any other circumstances. Keep it fresh, and if you tow frequently, bump the normal 30K interval down to 20~25K.
Looking at a Class III hitch which is WAY overrated for tow capacity, -BUT- the tounge weight is 350lbs which should be better for bike racks or cargo platforms. Reading on the towing rules, the total weight of EVERYTHING counts against GVWR [whatever]. All internal cargo / passengers, the weight of the trailer, then we add the weight of whatever is being towed.

Measured the Divide n Conquer shelves in back. A sheet of plywood 40 1/4" wide [side to side] and 32 1/2" long [front to back] will cover both halves and cover most of the gap behind the rear folded down seats. Of course, there is a projection at both front ends of the front shelf that need to be notched out.

Compared to the '14, there's a cavern under the front seats... It used to be filled with the seat position adjustment mechanism plus other things. This '16 SV has lots more space...

I'm trying to finagle a tow hook to swap for the anti-tampering device I found under the driver's seat ;)
Supra_Front.jpg
Supra_Front.jpg (35.97 KiB) Viewed 4264 times
Where's a "thumbnail" option for images?

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

elric wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 12:31 pm
Looking at a Class III hitch which is WAY overrated for tow capacity, -BUT- the tounge weight is 350lbs which should be better for bike racks or cargo platforms. Reading on the towing rules, the total weight of EVERYTHING counts against GVWR [whatever]. All internal cargo / passengers, the weight of the trailer, then we add the weight of whatever is being towed.
Cargo racks don't stress the CVT in the way a trailer does, because they move with the vehicle. The back-and-forth loading that a trailer exerts when "rubberbanding" over uneven surfaces is what shears the fluid. If you're only doing racks, no worries.

elric

Went out with a tape, pen, and paper.

Basic dimension is 40 1/4 wide by 31 1/2 long. There are two symetrical notches to the front.

I figured out a shadetree mechanic way to cover that gap between the bottom of the folded rear seats and the Divide n Conquer... A simple 6" flap duct taped to the main rectangle. You could make a "lid" for the compartment using heavier plywood, there are two opposing tabs jutting between the front and rear shelves, but to me it isn't worth the hassle right now.

PS. A Rogue cannot take a 4x4 handi-panel. Won't fit in the rear OR side... Had to go get the Silverado to pick up a 4'x4'x3/8" handi-panel...

PPS. That Supra thing is just a keybox to hold the vehicle keys while on the lot. Makes sense, if you have a hundred [or hundreds] of cars, it's easier to have these lock boxes on the car...

:luck:
Nissan_Shelf_Dimensions.jpg
Nissan_Shelf_Dimensions.jpg (37.95 KiB) Viewed 4249 times

Return to “Rogue Forum”