MMA you Filthy Bastards!

NICOclubs sports and p0ker related discussion forum
fayceoff

Uhhh - not according to the UFC Press Release. http://www.ufc.com/index.cfm?f...=8538
UFC Press release 6November2007 wrote:On January 19, 2008, at the Metro Arena in Newcastle, England, “The Prodigy” finally gets his chance for redemption when he challenges Joe “Daddy” Stevenson for the Interim World Lightweight Championship at UFC 80: RAPID FIRE.

Did I read that wrong?

fayceoff

Oops. Guess Dana took the stupid way after all. My fault, James.

http://msn.foxsports.com/boxing/story/7637366
foxsports.com wrote:Sherk appealed the suspension and his suspension was cut in half. He is now eligible to fight again. However, because the steroid suspension was upheld at all, the UFC decided to strip Sherk of his championship status and make a previously scheduled interim title bout between B.J. Penn and Joe Stevenson a full title fight.

Mr1der
Car: It's still not a Nissan...

I think it's only right personally.

like Barry Bonds...if it all washes out...I think they shouldn't acknowledge his homerun records.

generic808
Car: 08 Infiniti G35S
10 Infiniti EX35

^ Have to agree, but than again, most modern day "physical" sports records would be washed away. We all know that most athletes competing at the top level of a physical sport are juicing. Come one now, the NFL's steroid testing is a joke! I once saw Bill Romanowski pre-game and I swear the dude was high on something, not to mention his taking steroids. He even admitted to it after his retirement. The NFL would lose out on too much money if they actually tested all their athletes and banned them accordingly.

Look what just happened to Marion Jones; now she's spending 6 months in a federal prison. It's just impossible to compete at the top elite level if you're not juicing and the guy next to you is.

fayceoff

generic808 wrote:^ Have to agree, but than again, most modern day "physical" sports records would be washed away. We all know that most athletes competing at the top level of a physical sport are juicing.

It's just impossible to compete at the top elite level if you're not juicing and the guy next to you is.
I feel the same way - there's such a fine line now between "supplements" and "performance-enhancing substances". If it's your job to be in the very best possible physical condition, then you should be able to do WHATEVER you need to for that to happen. Most pro/olympic athletes would still take stuff that would help them win even if they knew it would kill them in five years. As a matter of fact, I think marijuana should be legal with the same restrictions as alcohol, but the simple fact is that rules are rules and you have to abide by them for things to be fair and even.

generic808
Car: 08 Infiniti G35S
10 Infiniti EX35

fayceoff wrote:
I feel the same way - there's such a fine line now between "supplements" and "performance-enhancing substances". If it's your job to be in the very best possible physical condition, then you should be able to do WHATEVER you need to for that to happen. Most pro/olympic athletes would still take stuff that would help them win even if they knew it would kill them in five years. As a matter of fact, I think marijuana should be legal with the same restrictions as alcohol, but the simple fact is that rules are rules and you have to abide by them for things to be fair and even.
It's so funny how this all started with the single season homerun king, Mark McGuire, and his "andro" scandal. There is a very fine line between supplement and steroid these days. The supp companies are actually one step ahead of the regulating bodies, and they seem to put out "stuff" every other month which is some sort of precursor to a steroid, just labeled as a "supplement".

I played football at the DI level, and I'll tell you that you'd be amazed at how many of the guys in the locker were "on". It's mind boggling, really. I was pressured on many different occasions, but never gave into it. I take really, really good care of myself physically, and would never harm my body in that way. I tried andro when it first came onto the market, way before the Mac scandal, because I thought it was a safe supplement. Let me tell you what, I don't know if it was just me, but I broke out with zits all over my forehead and chest when I was on it for only 2 weeks. I started freaking out because I have a very good complexion, so of course I went off of it. I do take creatine off and on for the past 12 years or so, but that's about it. I get my nutrition from food, not a bottle.

I just feel it's so sad that many of these athletes, like you said, would take harmful substances for an extra edge, knowing it would kill them 5 years down the road. It is very sad.

fayceoff

War Jorge! He RUINED Kendall!

fayceoff

So BJ beat Joe, but I think the cut on the forehead was a HUGE factor in that. And then he called out Sherk, who he HAD to know was sitting cageside... But it was a decent event.

Mr1der

not a fight on the card was really boring.

solid overall...I'm not mad I had to pay for it in the least.

but yeah...the cut on Joe I think played a big part...but at the same time, an in shape BJ was on him like stink on ****.

I think that fight would've gone a few more rounds with out the cut though...I was hoping Joe Daddy would find a way to TKO BJ or something after he came out in teh second round knowing he probably wouldn't get another round or even a full round because of that cut.

fayceoff

Yeah, he tried. You could see the urgency in Joe when he came out in the second. I've never seen Stevenson look worried ever before this, and I've been watching him since his first couple of fights in Gladiator Challenge and King of the Cage, but he was definitely concerned a few times when he was on his back against BJ... But I say in a third and fourth rounds, Joe probably would have been able to take the fight.

How about Davis crushing Liaudin? And where did that left that put down Lambert in his fight even come from?
Modified by fayceoff at 5:14 PM 1/20/2008

Mr1der

Gouviea just threw the hook out of nowhere.

I guess his corner was paying attention Lambert dropping his hands when he swings.

after seeing davis throw those kicks...I knew he was setting up a punch.

I figured it'd have been a straight right but he wound up nailing him with a left hook on the freakin' neck.

ouch.

ReaperBJJ
Car: '95 Sentra '89 240 hatch

I train for MMA, I hope to fight sometime in the next year, I almost have my blue belt in BJJ. I come from a wrestling background I wrestled for 9 years. I'm just now starting kickboxing and some Muay Thai work so I have a better stand-up background.

Anyone see the fights last night? I was too tired to watch them but I know that Brock got finished in the first 2 minutes after going crazy and pounding Mir. Also heard the Tim and Big Nog fight was pretty good, and Big Tim was actually trying to finish for once instead of using Stand and Pray.

fayceoff

Yeah, it was pretty good card. I thought the Heath/Boestch fight and the return of Ricardo Almeida were both better than the HW ones, but I was really happy that there were a lot of finishes. David Heath threw - no, FLUNG his opponent so that he bounced off the cage and hit his face on the canvas, then Heath just beat on the guy until Heeb Dean jumped in to stop it. Almeida pulled an arm-in guillotine, and when the guy stood up to try and slam out of it, Almeida held on, tucked his head in, and rolled them so that he was on top.

ReaperBJJ
Car: '95 Sentra '89 240 hatch

fayceoff wrote:Yeah, it was pretty good card. I thought the Heath/Boestch fight and the return of Ricardo Almeida were both better than the HW ones, but I was really happy that there were a lot of finishes. David Heath threw - no, FLUNG his opponent so that he bounced off the cage and hit his face on the canvas, then Heath just beat on the guy until Heeb Dean jumped in to stop it. Almeida pulled an arm-in guillotine, and when the guy stood up to try and slam out of it, Almeida held on, tucked his head in, and rolled them so that he was on top.
Yeah, sounds like I missed some sick Jiu Jitsu, according to the PBP I read this morning quite a few of the fights ended with Guillotines, including the Nog fight. I don't know if I'm glad that Lesnar lost or not. He seemed like a d!ck in all his interviews, but he's been decent enough everytime I've met him in person, and he is from MN, and has trained at my dojo a few times(I train at Koumei Dojo up in Brainerd MN, home of Brock Larson(UFC/WEC vet, most recently lost to Carlos Condit) and Kyle Jensen.(WEC vet)

fayceoff

Ooops - It was Boetsch who beat up Heath, not the other way around. My fault.

Mr1der

fayceoff wrote:Yeah, it was pretty good card. I thought the Heath/Boestch fight and the return of Ricardo Almeida were both better than the HW ones, but I was really happy that there were a lot of finishes. David Heath threw - no, FLUNG his opponent so that he bounced off the cage and hit his face on the canvas, then Heath just beat on the guy until Heeb Dean jumped in to stop it. Almeida pulled an arm-in guillotine, and when the guy stood up to try and slam out of it, Almeida held on, tucked his head in, and rolled them so that he was on top.
that guillotine was sweet.

if it was a higher profile fight it'd have surely been sub on the night.

good solid entertaining card.

I was pleased both Lesnar and Sylvia lost.

Lesnar, with a real camp and a few years will be a beast though.

unless he's got a baby chin.

fayceoff

Mr1der wrote:that guillotine was sweet.

if it was a higher profile fight it'd have surely been sub on the night.
Yeah, that definitely should have been, regardless of how high profile. And the other fight I mentioned should have been KO of the night.

Mr1der

it was still a solid card.

http://www.frankmir.com

pretty cool..he gave Brock tons of props.

sil8tdrftr
Car: 240SX coupe, fastback, vert

cant wait to see cung le take on frank shamrock.... elite XC

havent really read through the whole thread but you guys also into the WEC and SHOeliteXC fights...

xekushnr
Car: '90 240sx Hatch

I'll watch them when they're on but they are not my favorites. Elite XC has been pretty good recently. WEC seems to be a good showcase for new talent.

Mr1der

indeed.

it's getting to where they need to throw a ton of money at Filho and Silva to get them to hook up at 185 though...he's destroyed the division in the UFC.

fayceoff

sil8tdrftr wrote:havent really read through the whole thread but you guys also into the WEC and SHOeliteXC fights...
I watch any MMA I can whenever I can. But since I can only afford so many Pay-per-Views, I only buy the UFC.

You think Filho would be a good match for Silva, James? (sorry, but the user names get to me after a while) Filho's a bad dude no doubt, but I haven't seen anything from him that makes me think he could beat Silva.

Mr1der

me either.

he'd get KO'd in the first round.

but damnit...you gotta give Silva more top opponents...Filho's commonly seen as number 2 at 185.

they do have Akihira Gono though...and I think I just butchered his spelling.

I wonder if the UFC willl let him use his big DJ Ozma entrance...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ad-kr-hhMmA

they could always sign Matt Lindland again...though I don't ever see it happening.

fayceoff

Mr1der wrote:they could always sign Matt Lindland again...though I don't ever see it happening.
Yeah... Lindland and Salaverry are probably gone forever. But Lindland is probably the only MW with a chance. I mean, I think with the right circumstances, Linland probably could have beaten Fedor. Seriously.

xekushnr

fayceoff wrote:
Yeah... Lindland and Salaverry are probably gone forever. But Lindland is probably the only MW with a chance. I mean, I think with the right circumstances, Linland probably could have beaten Fedor. Seriously.
I suppose if the circumstances were that Fedor were a paraplegic I would agree with you I actually did not see that fight so I shouldn't really comment. I've seen Fedor look like he was going down, but he always prevails in the end.

sil8tdrftr
Car: 240SX coupe, fastback, vert

fayceoff wrote:
I watch any MMA I can whenever I can. But since I can only afford so many Pay-per-Views, I only buy the UFC.
WEC is on a channel called V.S. versus ... and ELITE XC is on showtime the movie channel... you should check out your cable/satellite provider for me it was like an extra $10 to add each channel on to my bill...

dont know if the rumor is true but do any of you know if the fight with KIMBO and LESNAR is being signed ??? i herd that kimbo might go into the UFC for this fight

Mr1der

Lindland had a puncher's chance on Fedor, that's all.

he throws a pretty hard punch...that's the only way he's gonna get him.

Kimbo and Lesnar are signed to different orgs...

Lesnar's next fight is with Mark Coleman.

fayceoff

xekushnr wrote: I actually did not see that fight so I shouldn't really comment.
Yeah, I had trouble believing it, too, but see if you can find it on YouTube or something. You'll be surprised. If Lindland were to land one of his rights - never mind. That's what I was thinking about Hendo, too.

Coleman VS Lesnar is going to be just as much bullisht as Hughes VS Gracie. White is trying to help someone be a draw by feeding him a former great. Don't get me wrong; it's MMA and anything can happen, but realistically, Coleman is just too old, slow, and against Lesnar, too small.

xekushnr

fayceoff wrote:
Yeah, I had trouble believing it, too, but see if you can find it on YouTube or something. You'll be surprised. If Lindland were to land one of his rights - never mind. That's what I was thinking about Hendo, too.
I just found the fight on YouTube, and it only looked like a competition for the first half minute, after that Fedor was in total control. Lindland did land a nice punch to the head of Fedor early that opened up, but once Fedor reversed the takedown Lindland lost his momentum. I thought Fedor was going to get him with the Achilles lock, which would have been pretty cool. I'm not surprised he finished with an armbar though. Fedor loves those armbars.

Mr1der

Lindland has decent KO power too...but not like Hendo.

watching Hendo/Fedor would be freakin' sweet....

hell, he's beaten Big Nog...

Fedor has wicked Armbars.

one of the slickest is still his armbar on Coleman in the opening round of the 2004 HW GP

Return to “The Sports Bar”