Michigan Gets It

A place for intelligent and well-thought-out discussion involving politics and associated topics. No nonsense will be tolerated at all.
stebo0728
Car: 1993 300ZX, White, T-Top

WDRacing wrote:
How is this a bad thing?

Historically I believe this was one of the key concepts of our founding fathers, to leave things better for the future generations. Why do we always insist on mucking that up?
Oh I'm not intending to imply that it's a bad thing. I'm just saying I can understand the frustration union members might feel having had to fight for benefits that someone else can just waltz in and get later. I don't think it's a bad thing, and whether anyone else does or not, my point was, there's nothing you can really do about it.

stebo0728
Car: 1993 300ZX, White, T-Top

And another thing. The focus of this seems to be on mixed situations. Employers that employ both union and non union employers. That is a large issue involved, but there's also another positive aspect. NEW BUSINESS. Companies can now set foot in Michigan to do business without having to employ a single union worker. This is huge, whether unions want to recognize it or not. If it holds, this will do nothing but help Michigan's economy. New businesses, offering new jobs, pumping new capital into the local economy. While the unions are boo-hooing, they have to realize, their bicycle may have just broken, but Dad is on the way home with a new dirt bike! Cheer up!

AZhitman
Administrator
Car: 58 L210, 63 Bluebird RHD, 64 NL320, 65 SPL310, 66 411 RHD, 67 WRL411, 68 510 SR20, 75 280Z RB25, 77 620 SR20, 79 B310, 90 S13, 92 SE-R, 92 Silvia Qs, 98 S14.

stebo0728 wrote: I'm just saying I can understand the frustration union members might feel having had to fight for benefits that someone else can just waltz in and get later. I don't think it's a bad thing, and whether anyone else does or not, my point was, there's nothing you can really do about it.
I think the members who DO feel frustrated need to be reminded that they didn't march for civil rights, yet they reap the benefits. They didn't press for OSHA, yet they reap the benefits. They didn't spearhead the Industrial Revolution, yet they reap the benefits... et cetera.

For a group of "tough guys", they sure do act like a bunch of spoiled, entitled, whiny b****es. :rolleyes:

WDRacing
Car: 95 240SX, 99 BMW 540i, 01 Chevy Express, 14 Ford Escape

stebo0728 wrote:
WDRacing wrote:
How is this a bad thing?

Historically I believe this was one of the key concepts of our founding fathers, to leave things better for the future generations. Why do we always insist on mucking that up?
Oh I'm not intending to imply that it's a bad thing. I'm just saying I can understand the frustration union members might feel having had to fight for benefits that someone else can just waltz in and get later. I don't think it's a bad thing, and whether anyone else does or not, my point was, there's nothing you can really do about it.
I didn't mean to imply that you meant it as a bad thing. I meant it as another reason I don't understand the pro-Union types. Willing to stand in the way of bettering something simply because it doesn't benefit them personally.

Return to “Politics Etc.”