Megasquirt writeup for the CA18DET

Discuss topics related to the CA18DE and CA18DET series engines.
240 Trainee

I was looking into this again, and found information of software called megasquirtnspark. You use it with the Megasquirt I system, and it seems to expand the capabilities of the megasquirt I system. I was wondering if someone who has alittle more basic knowledge about this than me has weighed the two options.

biosehnsucht

How's your gas mileage, with no O2, and what kind of driving is it (city/hwy/mixed) ?

SR20Monster

might just be headed in this direction for my s14sr..

mothius
Car: 1988 nissan pulsar (det)

just in case anyone is seriously considering this be aware that you will not have sequential fuel injection, megasquirt does not support this, and you will not be able to use your CAS, as of now it does not support it.

r34 gtr
Car: 98 Frontier XE 4x4
95.5 Audi URS6 Avant 5spd
03 BMW 330i ZHP 6spd
89 240sx base CA18DET

the stock EM isnt full sequential either...

The_Chosen_One
Car: 2009 Subaru Impreza 2.5i

mothius wrote:just in case anyone is seriously considering this be aware that you will not have sequential fuel injection, megasquirt does not support this, and you will not be able to use your CAS, as of now it does not support it.
If only you knew what you were talking about Like R34 GTR said the stock ignition is batch fire, same as SR's. Megasquirt will support Sequential Injection and Ignition within a few months when the router board comes out. And if you go MSI you CAN use your CAS, several people have done it on the CA and SR. Also Sequential Injection really only benefits in lower RPM's not to mention people with Batch fire injection get similar gas mileage as Sequential injection users.
Modified by The_Chosen_One at 10:07 AM 4/3/2007

mothius

don't get your panties in a wod, I did do some research on their site and was seriously considering this. However, all I am saying is that currently they don't support a CAS. And yes I am aware that people are using their CA's with megasquirt, with modifications outside the normal setups. Everytime you add an independent variables to a system you change the dynamics of that system, and I for one do not have the money to experiment. In case anyone is wondering here is the link to their page where they discuss this issue http://www.megasquirt.info/ just my 2 cents

When engine temp is low, engine starts or engine load is heavy, fuel is injected into all four cylinders simultaneously twice a cycle under the stock ECU. I believe this is what you are refering to.

Modified by mothius at 4:03 PM 4/3/2007
Modified by mothius at 4:04 PM 4/3/2007

The_Chosen_One

mothius wrote:don't get your panties in a wod, I did do some research on their site and was seriously considering this. However, all I am saying is that currently they don't support a CAS. And yes I am aware that people are using their CA's with megasquirt, with modifications outside the normal setups. Everytime you add an independent variables to a system you change the dynamics of that system, and I for one do not have the money to experiment. In case anyone is wondering here is the link to their page where they discuss this issue http://www.megasquirt.info/ just my 2 cents

When engine temp is low, engine starts or engine load is heavy, fuel is injected into all four cylinders simultaneously twice a cycle under the stock ECU. I believe this is what you are refering to.

Modified by mothius at 4:03 PM 4/3/2007

Modified by mothius at 4:04 PM 4/3/2007
Sigh go do some more research, you obviously didn't do enough of it. Theirs a reason why I said MSI and not MSII. MSI with MS n Extra you can use the stock cas, all you do is just use the 180* signal wire. Theirs no fancy gimmicks. And if you want to use the COP setup, you either add 3 more VB921 ignitors or wire up the stock ignitor, its not hard. Several people have done it on the CA and SR using the STOCK ignition. It doesnt change the system, MS is designed to be universal. Go to http://www.msefi.com theirs several threads on people doing it.

And no at startup or low engine temps does it shoot fuel into all four cylinder simultaneously, thats not how batch fire works. Batch fire on the CA is like this. Cylinders 1 and 4 get a squirt of fuel, depending on the cycle the fuel gets burnt up before its able to be used, thus why its also called Waste Spark. Same goes for 2 and 3. The fuel is only shot when the signal is received on each bank of injectors.

mothius

look I'm not trying to piss you off but as far as megasquirt goes just pointing me to there forums really doesn't help, can you be more specific? Also as far as what I said about the fuel delivery it came straight from the service manual so if you have a problem with it take it up with nissan.

The_Chosen_One

What do you mean be more specific? I cant get any more specific than what I just said. MSI with MS n Spark and Extra allows you to use the stock ignition. When you use the CAS you use the 180* signal. The CAS is optical which reads 2 sections cause theirs certain marks on the disc. And for the COP you either use the VB921 chips which are like mini ignitors or you rig up the stock ignitor. I dont know how much more I can specify.

As for linking you to the forum, is for you to search for the guys on their that already did it to their CA's and SR's.

As for fuel you should of mentioned that your refering to the Nissan system. As for service manual it has been wrong before.

As for pissing off, your not. It's just annoying when your posting wrong info and actually trying to pass it off as being factual even after your corrected.

mothius

well said, however, nothing I have said is nonfactual, I should have been more specific. MSII does not support CAS, yet. And as far as taking your opinion over Nissan's I'll stick with their's. Also concerning the MSI, it does not fire the same way the stock CA18DET ECU does, 2 coils at a time with waste is not the same as 4 fires without waste, and that does change the way it was intended to deliver fuel. I did more research on their forums, and so far other than people mentioning that they got it to run this way does not mean that it is more efficient. Produce some numbers and I will be glad to recant my statement, and give a formal post apology.

vlad_rally
Car: Renault S5 A8
Nissan 200SX S13 SR20DET

could some one please please pleaaaaase send me the fuel and spark table for the ca18det in any kind of megasquirt (1,2,3). Please...i need tables to start from and sett up my car further...Thank you sincerly.

Return to “CA18DE / CA18DET Forum”