Meet my little arsenal.

Hiking, fishing, hunting, boating, biking, travel and recreation-related discussion forum
themadscientist
Car: R32 GTR, DR30 RS Turbo, BRZ, Lunchbox, NSR50 Sportster 883 Iron
Location: Staring down at you with disdain from the spooky mountaintop castle.

It's entirely up to user use profile. If I had it all to do over, instead of all these different guns, I would have bought a single AR10 style lower and two uppers, one 16" all around and one long DMR for reaching out. I'm pretty well locked into what I have, though so I am trying to tailor each rifle to a specific role.

The LWRC is the house gun. With that in mind, I have the heavy hitting 6.8 cartridge, a collapsible stock, no unnecessary weight and I will soon have a basic red dot optic and weapons light on it. Bump in the night, one full mag should clear the house of just about anything.

The S&W is the Swiss army knife. It carries everything needed to keep it running should a SHTF scenario arrive and I have to run for the hills. The fixed stock isn't tacticool to the range heroes, but it has enough storage for all my cleaning gear, and small replacement parts like pins and gas rings and realistically, it's only a bit longer than a fully collapsed carbine stock that carries nothing. In the grip I have an extra bolt and firing pin. The foregrip has additional storage as well. There is no fancy optic, just no BS flip up sights which, again, earns snickers from the goofs at the range, but I can hit what I want at 500 meters all day through iron sights and they don't need batteries. IMO, red dots are only a real advantage in close quarters for rapid acquisition.

The 300 is the puzzler. It's cool as hell, but I'm having a harder time figuring out a mission for it. If I was willing to go through the trouble of getting a suppressor, obviously, that's the rifle to mount one to, but I'm not, so it's sort of an $1800 white elephant. :facepalm:

The Ruger was intended to be my sniper rifle, but with the 700 around, it's become the all around domesticated hunting rifle. I don't hunt, but if things got to the point where I needed to put food on the table then sorry, Bambi, mother green learned me how to put lead on target and you are about to have a bad day.

The 700 is pure sex. Other than the caliber, it's a lethal package right out of the box. Being .223, though, I can share ammo with the S&W and if events called for Mr. Smith and I to go on walkabout, I would hope I could lug this sucker too. The ability to at least suppress targets out past the AR's effective range could mean life or death and this sucker can make some long distance phone calls. ;)

biggie
Car: '16 Q70L/'14 Q60S Vert/'19 Armada/'09 FX35

If you don't have a use for something just give it to me.

themadscientist

< This is the same guy that has a shipping container full of car parts. ;)

biggie

I'll take some of those as well.

themadscientist

biggie

If you were closer a friend of mine would probably get it.

themadscientist

ROAD TRIP! :slap:

biggie

When I invent my own gasoline that costs pennies.

themadscientist

The Ruger shoots well. I was only at 15 yards, granted, but it took nothing to punch overlapping holes from a crude bench rest. My fears about the results of the light weight were confirmed. Even with the rubber buttpad, the recoil was punishing, as bad as my buddy's lil .44 carbine.

biggie

It seems that it is designed to be a hunting rifle, not something you want to shoot a ton at the range.

themadscientist

I think it's a great all around bolt gun. I'm no benchrest elitist, just a guy who likes a machine that runs well and is versatile. The Ruger American is like a Toyota Corolla. It ain't flashy but it will get you there!

Mr1der
Car: It's still not a Nissan...

I want one. I like Rugers. The new budget bolt rifles are outstanding though. Very competitive market.

themadscientist

True. Savage and Marlin have some good guns in that range too.

Mr1der

Mossberg's rifle isnt bad either. The Weatherby Vanguard is a solid buy as well.

The Ruger has the best trigger out of the box unless Savage started putting the accutrigger on the axis rifles though.

themadscientist

Well, the 300 blackout is gone. I traded it to a buddy for two pistols which he was as lukewarm about as I was the 300, win/win. :dblthumb:

Germany and America? What could they be?

Hello HK P30!

Meet your new buddy, the Ruger SR1911!

Now you too go play now. :biggrin:

Mr1der

Both are suppose to be outstanding. I doubt I'll ever own an HK though, for what they want for them there's a fine option a few hundred dollars less or a nice 1911 for the money.

themadscientist

I probably would not have bought it retail because I think HK likes their stuff more than I do; I'm not paying that much you krazy krauts!

The Ruger, I knew I would love; I researched the crap out of it before I pulled the trigger. The HK was a mild interest, but I'm glad I got a chance to meet it. I already like the euro paddle mag release, but not only is that ambidextrous, everything is. The slide stop and the safety are on both sides and the safety is located and oriented just like a 1911 so the manual of arms is very similar. The decocker is new to me, but I already like it.

Mr1der

I don't much care for the paddle releases. Even being a southpaw. They just feel awkward to me. Bests the hell out of heel catches though!

themadscientist

I've never been able to easily drop a mag with the classic 1911 release. I have to completely change my grip to get to it. My gen 4 Glock is just long enough to reach. I prefer using my trigger finger, though. My XDm's ambi button is great, but the paddle release is the most ergonomic for me.

biggie

Gimme SR1911...

Mr1der

Range report on them yet?

Return to “The Great Outdoors”