Major Screw up with Convertible top

Dedicated to the G37 Convertible. This forum is for convertible-only content that is NOT covered in the other G-Series forums.
haleakalag

Colossal mistake I made tonight. Heard some chirping from the rear of our 09 vert, and was going to just raise and lower the top (haven’t done so in many months, and cycling thru once always stopped the chirp previously). Forgot to remove a tote bag (12x9 inches) way in the back of the trunk. Halfway down it stopped moving, and was horrified to see the blue tote bag wedged under the roof and below the parcel shelf (see photo). It is wedged so tight can’t move the bag at all. The top will only slightly raise and lower the parcel shelf, then cuts off, presumably the bag is obstructing operation and some sensor then shuts down. I then removed the parcel shelf, was able to slightly move upper part of the tote bag and complete the top opening. The rest of the bag is wedged under the roof, which won’t allow it to close. Any help would be appreciated. We don’t have an Infiniti dealer on Maui, Nissan place couldn’t work on hardtop years ago, had to ship car out.
Attachments
7AFFA2D5-5DDB-4CC5-8CCD-904D4FEE1B18.png
2D4475FC-774E-40C7-8459-DBB97D911D65.jpeg
0BC26EA9-1E50-4907-81E7-0AA7865F1D93.jpeg

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

Haven't dealt much with folding hardtops, but on raggies you can always get at the main roof hinges by pulling the back seat and the rear side trim. Taking loose the main bolts will allow the whole roof assembly to rock slightly and generally allow anything jammed underneath to be removed.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

Here's a link to the FSM section for your roof, if that helps. The exploded drawings may help you figure out exactly which part of the motion is jammed:
https://www.nicoclub.com/service-manual ... 9%2FRF.pdf

haleakalag

Thanks much. I looked at the back seat removal. I think I need to be able to access some bolts in the trunk (which are blocked by top now). The mechanism/motor is working, but blocked by bag which triggers a sensor to stop. Someone suggested software tool to independently move components, which then needs a reprogram. If I could just access the bag and remove so much easier.

Return to “G37 Convertible Forum”