Major Cell Phone Expense Reduction

Forum dedicated to computer hardware and software, mobile phones and electronic gadgets.
OwnerCS

Long Story Here

I experienced problems with my Samsung Android cell phone to the point where I called AT&T for help. The AT&T phone tech was helpful and told me they were paying a $100 bounty if I would take it to a store and trade up to a new model. I wanted a new Samsung Rugby that was priced at $99 with a 2-year contract. When I went to the store a few minutes later where the sales clerk (PUNK) indicated the deal had ended a few days earlier and that my phone was not really worth anything on trade in. I called AT&T back and no remedy to the solution could be reached. AT&T service in my area has been going down hill as the number of towers seems to be dropping in some possible cost cutting measure. Actually Cricket and T-Mobile provide similar service to AT&T in my area if you can imagine what that is like.

Note: I had been paying AT&T $146 per month for an unlimited plan with 3 additional (data limited) lines for my kids at $76 per month for each line. My monthly bill from AT&T was approximately $374 per month. The rate was purported to be %18 percent off. Verizon seems to have the best coverage in my area so I stopped by the store to compare prices. Actually Verizon would have been slightly more expensive than AT&T in my situation.

Later that Saturday evening I stopped by Wal*Mart and picked up a Samsung SCH-S738C Android version 4.0.4. for $99 (no contract) with the StraightTalk UNLIMITED voice, text, and data plan for $45 per month. After fees (tax) the auto-debit amount to my credit card is ~$51 per month.

Just an observation about AT&T billing,the three phones for my kids were listed and priced at roughly $52 per month. However after all of the special AT&T fees and taxes the amount rolled up to $76 per month.

Bottom line, once I get all of the phones moved from AT&T to StraightTalk, I will be able to save about $170 per month.

I never thought I would like cell phone service from Wal*Mart. However, the service coverage seems to be better than AT&T and phone works without issue. I can use the cost savings help pay for my kids' car and school expense.

Phatman
Car: 03 Pilot

My understanding is that Straight Talk uses the Verizon network. Thus why your coverage would be much better. I have an AT&T phone that's paid for through my work, but again, horrible coverage. The only thing I can do about it is wait until the 2 years is up and then upgrade to a Samsung which doesn't fix the coverage issue. -_-

Return to “Computers / Electronics”