M56 exhaust upgrade????

Forum for Infiniti M37, M56 M35h Hybrid and Q70 owners.
Ilya
Car: 2011 M56x but I spend a lot of time on my 2015 Kawasaki Vulcan S. Former owner of a 2007 M35x. Also take care of my wife's 2016 QX60.

It doesn't sound too bad, but too American Muscle for me. I'm probably going to end up with the Stillen once my OEM one rusts out (thanks, Obama! jk...blame NE winters).

DoN_BLaZe34
Car: 2007 M45 Sport - Sold
2006 FX45 - Traded
2014 Q70S 5.6 - Sold
2017 Q70L 5.6 - Current

AlphaSnacks wrote:Apparently the exhaust from Stillen for M35, M45, M37 and M56 all fit one another.

Call Stillen to confirm, but the part number is the same last I checked. Hopefully you still have yours.
I was always under the impression that the part numbers were different?

Debonair
Car: 2011 Infiniti M56

The M45 system has dual tips on each muffler which I doubt will fit in the Y51 rear bumper without modification.

mike_of_earth
Car: 2011 M56S

IlyaKol wrote:It doesn't sound too bad, but too American Muscle for me. I'm probably going to end up with the Stillen once my OEM one rusts out (thanks, Obama! jk...blame NE winters).
Maybe that's what it is... I think it's a little less subtle than I'd want. I mean... it is a sport SEDAN after all. The guys at the shop mentioned trying out some smaller mufflers near where the resonators were. They also sell magnaflow stuffs, so I might try a different muffler or two. I'll capture vids of those if I get them as well.

AlphaSnacks
Car: 2013 M56S Aero

mike_of_earth wrote:https://youtu.be/yosNqvlfIcw
Video of my setup... haven't gotten used to it yet.
Holy s***. I love it.

If you're not going to keep them, sell it to me. I want.

AlphaSnacks

Debonair wrote:The M45 system has dual tips on each muffler which I doubt will fit in the Y51 rear bumper without modification.
Good point. I'm just going by Stillen's site it has all 4 models listed when looking at the M56 exhaust. :gotme

AlphaSnacks

mike_of_earth wrote:
IlyaKol wrote:It doesn't sound too bad, but too American Muscle for me. I'm probably going to end up with the Stillen once my OEM one rusts out (thanks, Obama! jk...blame NE winters).
Maybe that's what it is... I think it's a little less subtle than I'd want. I mean... it is a sport SEDAN after all. The guys at the shop mentioned trying out some smaller mufflers near where the resonators were. They also sell magnaflow stuffs, so I might try a different muffler or two. I'll capture vids of those if I get them as well.
I noticed you said that it doesn't drone or affect the loudness inside the car cabin?

mike_of_earth

Nope no drone or anything. Alpha, all I did was have them pull the X pipe and the resonators. They then ran two new exhaust mid pipes (replacing the choke point that was the x pipe) and that's it. It's all stock. I may try a magnaflow muffler to see how that sounds.
Total cost for the work at the shop was $180.

I think the only thing the Stillen offers that I don't have is an increase in diameter, but I may be wrong. I'd still be curious to see what replacing the downpipes from the manifold would look like, but I don't think anyone makes a high flow piece that will pass emissions.

AlphaSnacks

It sounds sick. I'm going to an exhaust shop to do the same next week.

DoN_BLaZe34
2006 FX45 - Traded
2014 Q70S 5.6 - Sold
2017 Q70L 5.6 - Current

Debonair wrote:The M45 system has dual tips on each muffler which I doubt will fit in the Y51 rear bumper without modification.
That's not true, the M45 has single tips, as do all of the M/Q exhausts.

Debonair
Car: 2011 Infiniti M56

DoN_BLaZe34 wrote:
That's not true, the M45 has single tips, as do all of the M/Q exhausts.
You are correct. I was thinking of the M45 Megan exhaust which has quad tips vs. the Stillen's singles. Sorry, been looking at too many setups and YouTube videos. :crazy:

DoN_BLaZe34
2006 FX45 - Traded
2014 Q70S 5.6 - Sold
2017 Q70L 5.6 - Current

NP.

The only reason I ask/asked about the part number thing is because I still have my old Stillen exhaust from my M45. That would be AWESOME if I could install it on my Q but again Stillen lists the items with two different part numbers so I'm hard pressed to think the two exhausts are identical. Would be nice, but again I doubt it...

mexillis
Car: M45s

jack up your car Don and see if the angles are the same. I think the width and location fo the tips would be in a different spot though.

AlphaSnacks

Getting my exhaust done tomorrow.

Mike: Your shop just cut the Y-pipe off right past the catalytic converters right?

I find it so weird that on our 56s the Y-pipe and CATS are one connected piece. While on other Nissans and Infinitis they are separate.

mike_of_earth

They cut just in in front of the resonators and back where it splits to the mufflers. See images;

AlphaSnacks

Yep same. I got mine with an x-pipe. I'll post videos later. It sounds good - beefier.

AlphaSnacks

Here's my exhaust sound.

Y-pipe delete. Replaced with X-pipe. Resonators replaced with standard straight piping.

https://clyp.it/2uqmrwyy

Inside the car it barely sounds any louder. I was actually disappointed when I pegged it. But on the outside, it makes noise. It sounds glorious. LOL

Our cars have a s*** load of sound deadening and also some harmonic noise cancelation going on, as well.

mike_of_earth

Very nice... sounds familiar :)

I'll post updates if I try to add some mids back, or switch out the mufflers.

JHC828
Car: M56S / Escalade ESV Platinum / Lexus LS F Sport
FX50S & M45 - sold

AlphaSnacks wrote:Here's my exhaust sound.

Y-pipe delete. Replaced with X-pipe. Resonators replaced with standard straight piping.

https://clyp.it/2uqmrwyy

Inside the car it barely sounds any louder. I was actually disappointed when I pegged it. But on the outside, it makes noise. It sounds glorious. LOL

Our cars have a s*** load of sound deadening and also some harmonic noise cancelation going on, as well.

Sounds good. Thanks for posting. I think this is the route I'm going to go for now. On my last M(45) I had the resonator delete and Megan mufflers and was very happy with the sound. I wish Megan had an axle back for the M56.

AlphaSnacks

I will say that without a shadow of a doubt, deleting that Y-pipe adds a lot of power. Low-end throttle response is really snappy now, and the torque has increased. I can make some really good passes in 7th gear on the highway without having to force the trans to shift down. It's very effortless.

Also, and this is most important, stock the motor doesn't continue to make more power past ~5900RPM. Now it pulls all the way to redline without any flatspots. It astounds me that Infiniti would fit this car with such a hunk of junk exhaust and rob the car of its potential.

Ilya
Car: 2011 M56x but I spend a lot of time on my 2015 Kawasaki Vulcan S. Former owner of a 2007 M35x. Also take care of my wife's 2016 QX60.

It's due to stupid grand daddy's (no offense to any of you old dudes bwahaha) who want 'quiet' vs 'performance'. Also probably to meet some stupid government dB restriction.

Good to know that an exhaust wakes this car up though. Do you think it's worth getting just a stillen cat back or go all out like you guys? Can anyone get inside the car cruising footage and also inside the car WOT footage? I don't want it to be too loud.

Similar to my video here for my old 2007 MXP SP Exhaust:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZ92Yhd433Q[/youtube]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZ92Yhd433Q

stm37s
Car: 2012 300 SRT8
2011 M37S
2006 Range Rover HSE (Wife's Ride)
2012 Camaro LS (Wife's Ride)
95 Impala SS (sold)
2004 Impala SS (sold)
2012 Hyundai Veloster (Daughters Ride)

IlyaKol wrote:It's due to stupid grand daddy's (no offense to any of you old dudes bwahaha) who want 'quiet' vs 'performance'. Also probably to meet some stupid government dB restriction.

Good to know that an exhaust wakes this car up though. Do you think it's worth getting just a stillen cat back or go all out like you guys? Can anyone get inside the car cruising footage and also inside the car WOT footage? I don't want it to be too loud.

She sounded good IlyaKol, I bet she was a Beast uh? I have the Stillen full exhaust and you will love it if you decide to go that route.

Ilya

Yeah that car was nice. I traded it in with 140kmi on it and no issues...just decided I wanted to upgrade lol. UpRev, TB/Intake spacer, MXP SP Catback exhaust, BC coilovers, the wheels I have on my M56 now...she was a beaut. I prefer the V8 in stock form over my old V6 though, lol.

I'm sure all the other V8 guys can say the same :chuckle: .

I would have finished my M56 already by now but I got hit with a $10k tax because my dumbass filled out my 401k paperwork wrong when I left my job last July...so I had to put my BC coilovers, UpRev, exhaust and tires for my new wheels on hold probably until the fall. Plus I'm paying for school out of pocket (although I'll finally have my B.S. in December hopefully).

:(

I do plan to go the Stillen route most likely though unless something else comes up.

stm37s
Car: 2012 300 SRT8
2011 M37S
2006 Range Rover HSE (Wife's Ride)
2012 Camaro LS (Wife's Ride)
95 Impala SS (sold)
2004 Impala SS (sold)
2012 Hyundai Veloster (Daughters Ride)

IlyaKol wrote:Yeah that car was nice. I traded it in with 140kmi on it and no issues...just decided I wanted to upgrade lol. UpRev, TB/Intake spacer, MXP SP Catback exhaust, BC coilovers, the wheels I have on my M56 now...she was a beaut. I prefer the V8 in stock form over my old V6 though, lol.

I'm sure all the other V8 guys can say the same :chuckle: .

I would have finished my M56 already by now but I got hit with a $10k tax because my dumbass filled out my 401k paperwork wrong when I left my job last July...so I had to put my BC coilovers, UpRev, exhaust and tires for my new wheels on hold probably until the fall. Plus I'm paying for school out of pocket (although I'll finally have my B.S. in December hopefully).

:(

I do plan to go the Stillen route most likely though unless something else comes up.

Sorry to here that man, I'm pretty sure you are gonna stick to your goals and turn that mutha out. They say patience is a virtue and good things comes to those who wait,my brother :dblthumb:

AlphaSnacks

IlyaKol wrote:It's due to stupid grand daddy's (no offense to any of you old dudes bwahaha) who want 'quiet' vs 'performance'. Also probably to meet some stupid government dB restriction.

Ilya, Stillen is overpriced garbage. It will add no power because it only replaces the resonators and rear muffler cans. The Y-pipe is what crushes the output, it's PUNY. I paid $250 for my whole setup and I feel like I made out like a bandit! 2.25 piping all the way back, just like stock. The Y-pipe constricts flow down to 1.25 inches, it's so bad. Stillen does not fix that. For $1000 all you get is some sound with the Stillen. Going custom will nab you power, and UpRev has a tune for M56s with y-pipe deletes.

Also, I assure you if you replace that y-pipe with an X-pipe and delete the resonators, while leaving the stock cans in the rear you will NOT hear any difference in the cabin during driving. I was petrified of this. In fact, I was even somewhat disappointed...I thought I'd hear something considerably louder inside. I'd put money down that a dB reading would show virtually no difference during cruising, low-speed, etc.

I bet I could replace the mufflers with something aftermarket and only then will I hear a little bit extra sound. Otherwise, just do the mod. Find a capable and quality exhaust shop. This with the intake shroud cover delete = heavenly.

Ilya

AlphaSnacks wrote: Ilya, Stillen is overpriced garbage. It will add no power because it only replaces the resonators and rear muffler cans. The Y-pipe is what crushes the output, it's PUNY. I paid $250 for my whole setup and I feel like I made out like a bandit! 2.25 piping all the way back, just like stock. The Y-pipe constricts flow down to 1.25 inches, it's so bad. Stillen does not fix that. For $1000 all you get is some sound with the Stillen. Going custom will nab you power, and UpRev has a tune for M56s with y-pipe deletes.

Also, I assure you if you replace that y-pipe with an X-pipe and delete the resonators, while leaving the stock cans in the rear you will NOT hear any difference in the cabin during driving. I was petrified of this. In fact, I was even somewhat disappointed...I thought I'd hear something considerably louder inside. I'd put money down that a dB reading would show virtually no difference during cruising, low-speed, etc.

I bet I could replace the mufflers with something aftermarket and only then will I hear a little bit extra sound. Otherwise, just do the mod. Find a capable and quality exhaust shop. This with the intake shroud cover delete = heavenly.
That's what I'm scared of and why I have ear marked the Stillen. I don't want anything insane that people can hear me 3 miles down the road.

At cruising/low-speed I want something that sounds stock. But when I mash the gas I want everyone to know I'm doing so lol.

Just to confirm, the Y-Pipe delete doesn't get rid of the cats? I haven't really looked at the exhaust on this car at any great deal. I need to pass emissions, etc.

AlphaSnacks

Yeah don't worry. Your friends, family, and passengers won't even know you have an exhaust. Nobody will hear you. The only time it'll be evident the car is louder is during start-up. Big V8s are extremely balanced engines and are typically very quiet motors. They hum and purr, they don't blare like an Aston Martin V8 Vantage or BMW M3 E90/E92. We're not dealing with VQs here anymore. Plus keep in mind that our cars have a lot of sound deadening and noise cancelation systems.

And the Y-pipe and cats are connected together - so they're one unit. Which requires the y-pipe to be cut away from the cats, which leaves them completely intact, and thus no emissions issues. :)

armybrat
Car: 2012 M56x with Tech Package (sold)
Custom 2-1/2" X-pipe exhaust with OEM sport mufflers
HPS intake hoses
Uprev tune

AlphaSnacks wrote:
Ilya, Stillen is overpriced garbage. It will add no power because it only replaces the resonators and rear muffler cans. The Y-pipe is what crushes the output, it's PUNY. I paid $250 for my whole setup and I feel like I made out like a bandit! 2.25 piping all the way back, just like stock. The Y-pipe constricts flow down to 1.25 inches, it's so bad. Stillen does not fix that. For $1000 all you get is some sound with the Stillen. Going custom will nab you power, and UpRev has a tune for M56s with y-pipe deletes.

New owner here - I am thinking about doing the same thing AlphaSnacks...I actually like the sound of the stock cans but hate the whole Y pipe set up. You mention the UpRev tune - will the stock tune work after the mod, or do I really need to retune? If so, how do I go about getting this tune?

adeedpb
Car: 2012 M56
2005 BMW X5 4.4i
2005 G35 Sedan - SOLD
1995 Ford Taurus SHO (Supercharged) - SOLD

The stock tune should still work but you will not be able to harness all the power you unleashed without a tune.

Ilya

Return to “Infiniti M37, M56, M35h Hybrid and Q70 Forum”