M37s 4was & stability control lights

Forum for Infiniti M37, M56 M35h Hybrid and Q70 owners.
Mjkkb2
Car: 2018 QX60 AWD, 2011 M37S, 2011 Quest, 2001 I30t(sold)

My 4 wheel active steering and stability control lights lit up today after a cold start. After a 5 min drive/park and a restart the lights went away. So I went ahead and pulled the manual, and it said that if these lights light up and stay on, one should turn the engine off. If the light come back on after starting the engine then there is a problem; if not, nothing's wrong. :werd:
Anyone else had this happen to them. Car is 2011 with 22k miles,

Thanks

mazz
Car: 2013 M37x Advance, Tech Touring and Premium, Black with Stone Interior

Could the tires be low on air with the cold snap
These can set off these warnings check manual to confirm

stm37s
Car: 2012 300 SRT8
2011 M37S
2006 Range Rover HSE (Wife's Ride)
2012 Camaro LS (Wife's Ride)
95 Impala SS (sold)
2004 Impala SS (sold)
2012 Hyundai Veloster (Daughters Ride)

never had this problem with my 37s, might want to have your local dealership check it out or if you know someone with a programer that can plug & play and try to fix it for you

Mjkkb2

I would think if the low tire pressure was the culprit, the low tire pressure warning wold also pop up.

I will watch for it and if it happens again I will see a dealer.
Thanks

Mjkkb2

Looks like my 4WAS/Stability light issue popped its head again. Must be something to do with cold weather. This time it came with a little twist - my steering wheel was way off, I needed to turn it noticeably for the car to drive straight. After restarting all went back to normal; no lights, and steering wheel perfectly straight --Weird stuff..

rsilva800
Car: 94 Z32, 11 M37S , 01 Pathfinder

How cold was it? Could be that moisture is getting into a sensor and triggering the code.

Mjkkb2

pretty cold 24F

Debonair
Car: 2011 Infiniti M56

An ABS/VDC capable scan tool is probably the fastest way to narrow down the possible culprits.

rsilva800
Car: 94 Z32, 11 M37S , 01 Pathfinder

Well, a year and 4 months later I am hit with this exact same problem.

I noticed that it started a day after I accidentally hit my right rear wheel against a curve while turning right onto a street (believe me I was pissed. I even scared the wife a little, who was with me at the time of the incident).

I also noticed it only happens when I am making a turn, either right or left, at a speed above 20 mph. 4WAS light comes on as well as the VDC/Traction light and the steering wheel gets WAY off center(I have to turn it to the right in order to keep the car straight). After reading a few posts about this problem, on this and other Infiniti forums, I noticed that the TSB points this to a possible fault on the ABS module but at the same time the error states that there was a calibration error, leading me to believe that the HICAS actuator is detecting that one or both rear wheels are out of alignment (which would make sense after my little incident). Coincidentally enough the following day on my way back from work I started noticing the car pulling right at 60+mph and this has never been an issue with my M ever since I purchased it 3 years ago.

I am going to trigger the issue tomorrow and take it to the shop and plug the computer in to see what codes is the computer throwing. After that I am planning on taking it to an alignment shop and getting a 4 wheel alignment done.

Any input and suggestions are welcomed.

Jonnas3000
Car: 2012 M37S Black on Chrome 20"aluminum alloy wheels
2012 GMC Sierra
2014 Lexus IS 250 (wife)

I have been reading up on the 4was issue as my 2012 M37S started displaying this warning along with the traction control looking symbol. I have pulled the Infiniti mechanic manual and it shows a lot of things on the car that could cause this light to come on. I didn't hit anything that would have caused the car to be shaken up but rather driving between Houston and Baton Rouge for a long car ride. I could feel the steering wheel adjust a bit when the 4was light came on and it felt like something gave out. The stearing was normal after the light came on.

In reading forums many say their issue was replacing a sensor but when I studied the various codes that are associated with 4was, there are a lot of parts that appear could cause this light to go off. I wouldn't buy the sensor thinking it's the problem because this part is about $1300.

My question is, can you just turn of 4was option because from I can tell, this isn't required by the car. Looking at my cars window sticker this technology is an add on premium option.

The other option I will look into next week is to have Infiniti hook it to their system and see what code the ecu records as the error message.

I spoke with Infiniti last week about the 4was light and the maintenance manager said he has seen this on the M's and the issue has been the rear system. The part alone he said is $3500.

I hope others have figured out the problem behind this notification and share. I will share my update after getting the test at Infiniti.

Frog
Car: 2011 M56s

Just gonna throw this out there. if your wheel is slightly off center by something like 3° it will cause the four wheel steering light to come on. Check the alignment

FastCarGuy
Car: 2013 Infiniti M37S

Brand new to this forum. I just got the diagnosis today. Dealer tells me I need the actuator assemble at a cost of $5300 + Labor. Does anyone know of any other solution?

knelson
Car: 2013 black M56xS

I had an FX35 and this would happen each time i needed rotors and brake pads... no joke. It would disengage the traction control system and several lights would stay illuminated. When i replaced the pads, it would all go off. i had that car for 9 years, 185K miles and very few problems. But i remember this happening a few times if i pushed replacing the pads too far.

FastCarGuy
Car: 2013 Infiniti M37S

Were your pads beyond the little wear indicator? The dealer did their customary safety check and the brake pads were marked as "OK"

knelson
Car: 2013 black M56xS

FastCarGuy wrote:
Sat Jul 22, 2017 2:58 pm
Were your pads beyond the little wear indicator? The dealer did their customary safety check and the brake pads were marked as "OK"
I dont know about their life left, i just know it happened several times when i needed pads. It needed pads about every 20K miles and rotors every 30K as it got older. And a few times i pushed it and it was absolutely the pads that made the dash warning light light up. I didn't believe it, but infiniti service confirmed it and when i had the pads changed the light would sure enough go away.

Jonnas3000
2012 GMC Sierra
2014 Lexus IS 250 (wife)

I will say my breaks do need replacing and I have the replacements in the garage. I will get these fixed on Monday to see if it helps with the matter so thanks for the feedback Knelson.

I will also get a full 4 wheel alignment as mentioned by Frog. I will ask them to let me know how out of alignment each wheel is and post that data on the forums.

Everything I read about the 4was system is that it is purely a luxury add on to the vehicle. It is designed to help with true performance driving to better handle aggressive turning. I drive the car purely as a daily driver so I am looking for a solution to deactivate/turn off the 4 was system if the break and rotor swap isn't the fix. Does anyone know if there is a way to disengage the vehicle's 4was system?

I love this car's 330 hp, looks, and comfort factor but this 4was system and the high cost of trying to maintain the system is scaring me. This is my first Infiniti and I have always been a Lexus owner with only maintenance being breaks, rotors, and oil changes up to 160,000 miles. My M37 only has 73k miles and I was hoping to drive it until 160k at a minimum but this 4was had me at the Lexus dealership yesterday looking at 2017 G350. I am really looking for a solution because the sluggish 311 hp on the G350 is boring.

Jonnas3000
2012 GMC Sierra
2014 Lexus IS 250 (wife)

**Update** My intent of this post is to try and help as many people possible because I have spent a lot of time trying to trouble shoot this problem and these are my findings so far.

Changed break pads out today and the problem appeared at first to go away but after 15 minutes of driving on the interstate the 4was light and traction control light came on.

I went to my buddy who has a local high end auto repair shop to have the ECU checked. He ran the diagnostics and the error code that came back was C1138. What does code C1138 tell ya, well thanks to Nico club, they offer all the technician manuals that will tell you (http://www.nicoclub.com/FSM/M/2012/2012%20M/). You need to look under BRC file and use the search function. What you find is that this is tied back to the ABS actuator. This part runs currently at about $1300 for my vin number but the install doesn't appear all that complicated. When you look under BRC-140 it provides you all the instructions necessary to perform the install. I haven't fully researched it but quickly looking at it, you need to remove a tire, bleed the break line, remove and install the new unit (3-4 bolts).

I almost pulled the trigger today, literally 2 miles from the Lexus dealership, to buy a 2017 GS 350. I decided I wanted to do some more research first. I am planning to replace the ABS Actuator in hopes this solves my problem.

:wtf2: **I want to throw out a piece of cautionary information on the M37 4WAS system :wtf2:
If you have this system on your car and the 4WAS Rear Actuator Assembly goes out, this is a minimum $3,900 part online. The install should be fairly easy for someone to perform if you have a lift but the part is a killer. The installation and information on this part is in the link above under STS-175. See images below of the STS-175, picture of the part under my car with part number (part number 557051MT0A) in the event this post last longer than my photos), and the full view of the part. I took these pics while breaks were being put on today.

vmartin
Car: 2011 Infiniti M56s

Jonnas3000,

Did you replace the HICAS Actuator (557051MT0A) on your M37s? If so, did that resolve the problem?

I have been reading on these forums and found that replacing the actuator does not always resolve the issue.

I was told by my Infiniti dealership that it would cost me $6k to replace the part. They don't sound like they are 100% sure this is the fix to the issue with the warning symbols.

FUGA305
Car: 2013 infiniti m37 sport

rsilva800 wrote:
Thu May 11, 2017 4:40 pm
Well, a year and 4 months later I am hit with this exact same problem.

I noticed that it started a day after I accidentally hit my right rear wheel against a curve while turning right onto a street (believe me I was pissed. I even scared the wife a little, who was with me at the time of the incident).

I also noticed it only happens when I am making a turn, either right or left, at a speed above 20 mph. 4WAS light comes on as well as the VDC/Traction light and the steering wheel gets WAY off center(I have to turn it to the right in order to keep the car straight). After reading a few posts about this problem, on this and other Infiniti forums, I noticed that the TSB points this to a possible fault on the ABS module but at the same time the error states that there was a calibration error, leading me to believe that the HICAS actuator is detecting that one or both rear wheels are out of alignment (which would make sense after my little incident). Coincidentally enough the following day on my way back from work I started noticing the car pulling right at 60+mph and this has never been an issue with my M ever since I purchased it 3 years ago.

I am going to trigger the issue tomorrow and take it to the shop and plug the computer in to see what codes is the computer throwing. After that I am planning on taking it to an alignment shop and getting a 4 wheel alignment done.

Any input and suggestions are welcomed.
hi rsilva, I know this post is kinda of old but im hoping you see this and respond. in jan I went over a speed bumb and it set off the traction light and 4was light as well. my vehicle just got of of the warranty by 150 miles :mad: so the dealer isnt going to cover it. the diagnostic says it the rear accuator is damaged and must be replaced. by any chance what did the dealer tell you that caused your to be damaged? or how did they justify it just going bad from one day to another. my dealer says it just burnt out but they don't know the real cause behind it. if you have anything for me that may help me resolve this issue it would be greatly appreciated. thanks

White-Rush
Car: 06 M35S - Sold
11 M37S - Ran hard and sold
16 Q70S

If you can live with seeing the lights on constantly, just continue to drive your car and don't worry about it. I'm approaching 40k miles of driving with mine being defective. Earlier last month, I finally decided to stomach the pain and attempt to get the issue fixed, which will be a two part deal. They would first diagnose the issue and attempt to replace the control unit ($1790) to see if that would fix the issue alone (without replacing the rear actuator assembly $5805).....

But my tech and service adviser, always willing to help out and save a brother some money; phone'd up Nissan NA and they were warned that replacing the control unit WITHOUT replacing the Rear Actuator Assembly would only cause the new unit to burn out. In other words, $1800 down the drain!

I was told this off the record.... "Unless you have money to burn, I would not worry about it. Just continue to drive the car and enjoy it, as it should be fine"

So I will just continue to drive the car and monitor it for anything out of the norm... Please note, that I put brand new rubber on my car within 2 or 3 months of this issue starting; by the time I replaced those tires (about 43k on them, there was absolutely NO improper wear at all. The tires showed a very clean and even wear pattern, and this was only with them being rotated out about 3 or 4 times, and a fairly decent drop on some BC coils.

spirod
Car: 2011 M56S

@ White-Rush
Thanks for posting. I made the decision to put my M56S up for sale this Spring before the extended warranty expires in August. The cost of the 4WAS actuator is the main reason for my decision. My local Infiniti dealer has quoted $6487.99 +Tx CDN funds part number 557051MT0A excluding labor costs. I don't have any issues with the system, just curious at what the replacement costs are.
Some members have had difficulty with the steering wheel position being off center. Are you saying that you haven't had this issue or any other issue driving your car?

White-Rush
Car: 06 M35S - Sold
11 M37S - Ran hard and sold
16 Q70S

My steering wheel is slightly off, but not to the point where it completely obvious. I have to get an alignment this weekend, so I'm hoping that this will correct it, knowing that I haven't had an alignment done in over 15 or so months..

Mark Linkous
Car: 2012 Infiniti M37x

Those same lights occurred during Car & Drivers long term test of the M56. It was a major consideration why I specifically avoided the Tech package as with the factory warranty about to expire, I shudder to think how expensive the related parts are.

The exceedingly difficult part was finding a Deluxe Touring Package equipped M without the Tech Package. Suppose it makes sense as the Deluxe Touring Package is $800 more expensive than the Tech ($3800 vs $3000) and needless to say Infiniti would prefer all M's sold me optioned out.

Frog
Car: 2011 M56s

One of the things the system of checks and steering wheel position relative to tire position so getting an alignment may solve your problem

stm37s
Car: 2012 300 SRT8
2011 M37S
2006 Range Rover HSE (Wife's Ride)
2012 Camaro LS (Wife's Ride)
95 Impala SS (sold)
2004 Impala SS (sold)
2012 Hyundai Veloster (Daughters Ride)

Had my M37s since May 13 and knock on wood no issues to say thus far, Thank God!!!

Jstephens
Car: 2011 M37s

Hey guys, does anyone know where the rear 4was relay is located? I bought one today from Nissan but can’t find it in the car. I have a 2011 m37s with the same issues as everyone else. I saw that someone said replacing this might work.

EdBwoy

Jstephens wrote:
Fri Jul 17, 2020 8:09 pm
Hey guys, does anyone know where the rear 4was relay is located? ...
It is located at the left side of the trunk. Remove the trim pieces from the left wall of the trunk room and you should find the 4WAS main control unit that carries it. Think of it as where the fuel tank filler neck would be if it were on that side.
...I saw that someone said replacing this might work.
Have you considered getting a professional diagnosis to tell you exactly what is wrong with your system specifically?

Jstephens

Thanks man, I’m looking now, can’t find it for nothing . I wish I knew someone that’s a professional that can look at this..honestly I’m a Lil untrusting after taking it to Infiniti here in Gwinnett. They did a wheel alignment and dianogstics that produced no information and cost me $350 ...2nd day and after I paid and started asking questions, the service advisor walked me back to the service manager who explained that I needed a intire rear system over 6k. My service advisor was asking just as many questions to the manager as me. It was obvious as day this guy did have a clue what the 4was system even was smh.. if you know of any knowledgeable mechanics that can look at this in GA, please let me know.

Jstephens

Ok found and replaced the rear relay, still light are on.

Dash45
Car: 2013 Infiniti M37

Does anyone have any suggestions for fixing the 4WAS and traction control lights on the M37? It's a 2013. The lights came on the car several months ago, I cleaned the black housing unit for the gearing on the actuator unit as someone suggested on one of the post. The lights did go out for several months but recently came back on. I replaced the rear relay when the lights came on a 2nd time and had the car aligned. I have new Conti tires, brakes, pads and the car has been aligned twice in the last 6 months. The steering column is straight; I don't have any issues with the car's performance while driving. I have 94K miles, the car has been excellent up until this point with the lights; It's in excellent condition, otherwise! The Dealer quoted the price of $6K+ to replace the Actuator, but I think it could be something else causing the lights to stay on. Please let me know if you have any other suggestions that work!

Return to “Infiniti M37, M56, M35h Hybrid and Q70 Forum”