M35/M45 Exhaust Discussion Thread

Forum for Infiniti M35 and M45, and Nissan Fuga owners.
EniGmA1987
Car: '06 Infiniti M35 Sport

Im sure it would sound less "beefy" on an M35.

Also, I dont know why the guy is cursing when the M45 takes off and spins the tires that one time. Really the exhaust doesnt seem THAT impressive to me and even the M35 can spin tires from a dead stop :gotme

nolmt50
Car: 2006 m35

Does anyone have the megan exhaust on the M35? or have a video with a m35 that has it?

bbs350z
Car: 350z built tt
350z st track whore
m35x daily
evo 8- 30r sold

just got my custom greddy evo2 on, sounds noice!!

06M4.5
Car: 2006 M45

bbs350z wrote:just got my custom greddy evo2 on, sounds noice!!
and what happen to the pics? :tisk:

nolmt50
Car: 2006 m35

Found someone locally selling their stillen cat back system, gonna check it out tomorrow and possibly pick it up. What do you guys think a decent price would be for me to pay for it?

CPJ LB
Car: 12 G37X Sedan- stealthy modded
14 Altima 2.5
08 Tahoe
06 M35 S (gone)
14 Versa 4dr (gone)

....ok, after a couple of exhaust set ups (from free flow mufflers, to larger diameter piping, and true dual from cats to x-pipe w/ high flow resonator to stock mufflers) I went 'all in' with a full Megan exhaust from the cats....I must say, it is nice!!! the quality of the pieces is great...the sound is awesome: at start up, idle, cruising and WOT on the fwy....I just got it installed today, so I will let it break in a little more. I can immediately feel the difference in more power, lighter weight (compared to other set up)...

I went to a tuner shop -- actually 2 blocks from Megan Racing Headquarters -- got a great deal.

originally I purchased the Megan axle backs -- then started talking about cutting my set up to make it match the flanges -- it would have been a little work and more $$$ for labor -- we discussed the total cost for the mid pipe and the y-pipe, coincidentally enough, the shop owner had a 'used' megan y-pipe and we made a deal that was affordable for me -- so over all I got the complete set up(labor included) at a hell of a deal....besides, I really appreciate the clean welds on the Megan set up...really gives the exhaust system a good look -- compared to what I had...LOL.

here are some prelim pix -- will try and get a video of the sound...

OLD set up

stock mufflers with larger tips

NEW set up
Megan y-pipe -- used

Megan mid pipe

great value and within my budget...perfect sound, great look, more power...

it was a great experience since I went with the shop owner to pick up the mid pipes at Megan Racing...got to meet the staff and they talked to me about their coilover system -- the Street version -- it may be on my list -- will let you know...if I pick up the coilovers, I will sell my H-Techs and the 4 KYB's (shocks) that I just recently installed...

CPJ LB
14 Altima 2.5
08 Tahoe
06 M35 S (gone)
14 Versa 4dr (gone)

here's my first video revving the Megan exhaust (full cat back)...I took it easy...

I am still breaking it in, so I will get more videos later...I'll try and post videos of inside the car while normal driving and opening it up...

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ca0sblse ... e=youtu.be[/youtube]

CPJ LB
14 Altima 2.5
08 Tahoe
06 M35 S (gone)
14 Versa 4dr (gone)

ok...I got the Motordyne xyz pipe installed yesterday (very happy with the look, feel -- very light compared to stock y pipe, sound and overall product) -- after the install, I let the car idle for awhile and took the car out for a short drive -- then took it out on the fwy....Man!! I immediately felt the difference in flow...I have better low and mid range tq!! this was yesterday....today I took the car out for some runs and went light to light with a Cadilac CTS (3.6 version)...he had no chance...we chatted at the next light and he told me the exhaust sounded great...he was cool...we ran a few more and each time I really liked the 'pulling' feel and sound. Hopefully I will get a chance to dyno the car soon, but I'm waiting on a set of Hi flow cats....

the xyz pipe replaces the stock Y pipe (from the cat to the mids)...in my case, I had the Megan Y pipe temporarily until I got my hands on the xyz pipe...BTW, I will be selling the Megan Y pipe...

Here's a shot of the xyz pipe intalled (I bought the xyz pipe w/ resonator, but you have the option of switching out the resonator for a straight pipe or even Hi flow Cat)

Motordyne xyz pipe installed

Megan Y pipe (used and will be selling)

anyone interested in the Megan Y pipe, just shoot me a PM... prefer pick up -- although it's really light, I just don't have time to ship... :)

marosari00
Car: 2012 M56S (Stormie), 2010 Mercedes C300 Sport (Capri)

Any comments on this setup?

http://www.mandrelbend.com/mandrelbend. ... tentId=165

Aero AR25 resonators, custom x-pipe, magnaflow muffler...

DJPlayedYA
Car: 2007 Infiniti M35 Sport

I'd love to hear from from CPJ LB and Hutty985 on their exhaust systems.

I, too, am on the same team as those that want a little throatier sound, but without sounding like some tuner or muscle car. I went to my exhaust guy today, and we put my 2007 M45 Sport on the lift. He showed me everything involved. He said he could remove the resonators and install straight pipes for $60 total. Or, he said he could install cat back custom pipes with the diameter of my choice to the stock mufflers for $175. So a few questions:

1. Has anyone tried simply replacing the two resonators with straight pipes? If so, how did it sound?

2. For you guys that had your pipes done custom at a muffler shop...how did it turn out? What setup did you go with? And what diameter pipes did you use?

3. Is there a big difference between custom pipes and aftermarket ones? I'd imagine that as long as the integrity of the metal and welds were there, they'd be exactly the same...? But I'm no expert.

One more thing. I mentioned to him that I was thinking about going with 2.5" pipes and he thought I was a little loopy...lol Are 2.5" pipes too big? He recommended going with 2" or possibly 2.25" max. He was worried that if I went with 2.5" pipes all the way back to the stock exhausts, that I might lose low end power.

Thanks in advance.

CPJ LB
14 Altima 2.5
08 Tahoe
06 M35 S (gone)
14 Versa 4dr (gone)

^ welcome aboard DJ...congrats on your M.

if you wish to keep the stock mufflers, but want to increase your sound and not go crazy...just replace the mid pipe section. the easiest way to go is to pick up the Megan midpipes...it bolts on as a direct replacement, and when you're ready to sell the car, then you can put back the stock midpipe. 2.5" pipes will not hurt your HP/TQ. I currently have the Megan set up along with High Flow Cats, no issues...I have some videos out there as well (I have an 06 M35 sport)...here's a video of an M45

that just replaced the midpipes on his car w/ stock mufflers:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_IOqFkQh ... el&list=UL[/youtube]

same car with full Megan exhaust:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ryvxkd6Y ... playnext=1[/youtube]

Here's the first video I did of my car with full Megan set up (before HFC's)

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KE2uQudc ... el&list=UL[/youtube]

cji4130
Car: 2006 M35x

does anyone have this set up? has anyone even seen this?

MXP

mexillis
Car: M45s

Dj If you want a good quiet sound pick up the fujisubo exhaust fs. I put the axle back on my m45 and it quiet it down a lot. Cj, I think that exhaust is still being made and starting at 1400 or so.

DJPlayedYA

Videos and sound clips are difficult to go by, but the sound from this clip is pure magic. It's exactly what I want my M45 to sound like.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ltxssbHW ... ature=plcp[/youtube]
mexillis wrote:Dj If you want a good quiet sound pick up the fujisubo exhaust fs. I put the axle back on my m45 and it quiet it down a lot. Cj, I think that exhaust is still being made and starting at 1400 or so.
What's your opinion of the Fujitsubo Legalis R? There's a guy selling his on this forum and he only lives about an hour away. Everyone seems to be saying that the Fujitsubo line of exhausts are "very" quiet. How quiet is very quiet? Quieter than stock? Same as stock, but more rumble? A bit louder? If it is quieter or same as stock, then it's definitely not for me. I'm looking for slightly louder than stock with a nice rumble...same as the video link above. If anyone could give some more insight, that'd be MUCH appreciated. And I know almost everyone on this forum is screaming about Megan exhausts, but they seem quite a bit louder than stock, and they seem hard to come by.

radigan
Car: 2013 M37xS

cji4130 wrote:does anyone have this set up? has anyone even seen this?

MXP
what setup is that?

mexillis

Well for the m35 it's only 1 db louder and on my custom set up it made it quiet compared to what I had. Fujitsubo probly wont be for you with what you stated. if I'm not mistaken stillen was quieter than Megan unless you only purchased their axle back. I couldn't tell what M was in your link but is it an M45? most of the rhd are 35/25 in Japan so it would be hard to duplicate that sound on your car. If you're looking to spend at least a grand or so you could always go custom and add pieces until you get the sound you want. At the shop I went to they didn't charge labor if I wanted more stuff added later just the price of the parts. If you only do a mid pipe back then cost should be half that. As for your question about 2.5 that's what all the companies make them in. You could go 2.25 or whatever size you want but might as well maximize flow.

mexillis

Radian: here's a link to the group buy thread http://g35driver.com/forums/exhaust-ven ... 5-y50.html and for some reason they never put it here or any other M forum :confused: but anyway you can call up Ravspec and see about eta when and if they will make any.

KoMikeey
Car: 2007 M45 S, Aero kit, Diamond Graphite, Uprev, Injen CAI, G37 sport vlsd differential swap, Full custom exhaust (removed secondary cats) into an x pipe through the megan exhaust.

i would go with the megans exhaust, from cat backs.

i love the sound, and plus,when i was doing my research found out that YOUTUBE DOESNT JUSTIFY THE SOUND! it sounds so much better in person.

i really recommend other people getting megans get a ton of compliments from other m owners in the area.

DJPlayedYA

Resonator Delete, as a reference point for those interested.

I did a resonator delete today (simply replaced the two resonators with straight pipes), and my 2007 M45 is somewhat louder...lol (great description, huh?) At start up, it sounds great...it has a nice little revving exhaust note going on. At idle, it sounds almost completely stock...it has a tiny bit more bass. When revving, it sounds much different...kinda like a muted down version of the Megan videos on Youtube. However, it has no where near the bass levels or deep rumblings as the Megans online sound. Obviously since the stock pipes are smaller than aftermarket ones, they lack that heartfelt bass of the aftermarket kits. I haven't tested it at full throttle yet since I just got it done earlier today.

Summary: for 60 bucks, it sounds great. IMO, it has greatly altered the exhaust note of my M45 in a good way (mainly because the M45 barely has any exhaust sound in the first place). However, now I realize what kind of sound is capable of coming from this car, and it makes me REALLY want to get Megan mid pipes!!!

Partysan7
Car: 2008 M35

Hey everyone so finally installed my Megan catback which I bought used in near mint condition for only 200 bucks.. spent about 60 bucks on gaskets and new SS bolts with SS lock nuts.
I did the install myself w/help of my brother inlaw.. pretty straight forward overall took about two hours and well worth it.. before I had oem midpipe with magnaflow mufflers the sound wasnt bad (better than stock) but was lacking something and let me tell you these megans are worth every penny. even on my v6 they sound amazing and pretty loud ( might be due to previous owner breaking them in V8) who knows but doesnt sound any noticebly quieter than on v8. I LOVE IT will def. post a video.. but like another user said , youtube doesnt justify the sound properly they sound better in person.

Oh and ps;; I will have my stock setup 4sale so if interested let me know.

some pix.
stock

06M4.5

$200 is a great price

enjoy your new sound :dblthumb:

Also I have to say that your the man for installing the exhaust on all those rocks. :woot:

rxmclaren7
Car: 2006 Infiniti M35X

nice setup Partysan7!! and vid of the sound on your ride???

Partysan7
Car: 2008 M35

Thanks guys... yeah got some decent massage on that gravel :chuckle: dont have a vid of the current setup yet but will soon.. heres how it sounds only with stock y pipe which I will change out too as soon as I find any.. btw. will the megan catback benefit from a new y-pipe ?!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LRgP7pR ... e=youtu.be

rxmclaren7
Car: 2006 Infiniti M35X

sounds good with only the y pipe!!

06M4.5

Partysan7 wrote:Thanks guys... yeah got some decent massage on that gravel :chuckle: dont have a vid of the current setup yet but will soon.. heres how it sounds only with stock y pipe which I will change out too as soon as I find any.. btw. will the megan catback benefit from a new y-pipe ?!

New y-pipe and some HFC's z (berks) will make you happier :yesnod

CPJ LB
14 Altima 2.5
08 Tahoe
06 M35 S (gone)
14 Versa 4dr (gone)

Partysan7 wrote:Thanks guys... yeah got some decent massage on that gravel :chuckle: dont have a vid of the current setup yet but will soon.. heres how it sounds only with stock y pipe which I will change out too as soon as I find any.. btw. will the megan catback benefit from a new y-pipe ?!

good job Partysan7...enjoy the new fun and sound.... and yes, a new ypipe will be beneficial over our stock ypipes...

here's the link to Motordyne, check out the xyz (ypipe). I have the xyz pipe with resonator module

http://www.motordyneengineering.com/index.php?cPath=1_5

BlinG*
Car: 2007 M45 Sport

is there still a back order problem with the Megan exhaust? Or was that with the Stillen exhaust? I remember reading several guys on here complaining about ordering exhausts and not having them shipped for months.

06M4.5

Megan Racing still on back-order. As soon as they come in they sell out quick, they sell like hot cakes.

seymore4
Car: 2012 M56
Professional UPREV tuner

BlinG* wrote:is there still a back order problem with the Megan exhaust? Or was that with the Stillen exhaust? I remember reading several guys on here complaining about ordering exhausts and not having them shipped for months.
I contacted Stillen about an M45 exhaust and they replied that they make them on a per-order basis, but they have all the materials in stock so they would need about a week lead time

Mutant107

I have M45 want exhaust for added power but can pass emissions ?

Return to “Infiniti M35 and M45 Forum”