m tr4nch's restoration/build thread !! (56k = death)

General discussion forum about the 240sx, and a great place to introduce yourself to the board!
m tr4nch
Car: RS13, Z31, P11

nothing much to update, still salty roads around here. :facepalm:

knocked out this little project the other day that i've been meaning to do. retrofit the generic keyfob circuit board into a newer nissan fob.
i used to do these for the g35/350z guys with the real nissan fobs (the older looking kind that look like this generic one) so i was already planning on doing this from the very beginning.

the two boards and fobs next to each other:

i de-soldered the 4 switch buttons on the generic fob and had to relocate the lock/unlock switches so they would work with the new fob housing. i had to mount the top switch vertical because there was a component on the board right there that it would have interfered with if i kept it horizontal. the other 2 buttons don't do anything so i left them off. and of course had to shave out plastic from the new housing to make the board fit snugly. i cut the emergency key so that the tip wouldn't interfere with the battery holder sticking through (wasn't going to use it anyway).

a couple of test fits and button clicks, snapped it all back together and it works flawlessly!

was holding onto the red nismo fob holder for when i completed this job.
also finally got the titanium nismo key from ronin imports cut.
and grabbed a cool nismo keychain strap from ebay to complete the look. :bigthumb:

just wanted to add a more modern touch to everything.
the 2-button Nissan fob that i used wasn't offered in the states, the part number is 285E3-1KA0D and is from a nissan navara apparently. i did this on purpose since i only have lock/unlock and no alarm sound. all the 3 button remotes in the states have the horn button at the bottom but that would have been useless for me, so i opted for this 2-button one for a clean look.

hopefully will be back on the streets soon since it's starting to get a little nicer out. :dblthumb:

PapaSmurf2k3
Site Admin
Car: 2017 Corvette, 2018 Focus ST, 1993 240sx truck KA Turbo.

Awesome!
I had a titanium key for my current 240, and then the ignition cylinder went out, so I swapped one in from a parts car I had and now my nice key no longer works :(

m tr4nch

PapaSmurf2k3 wrote:
Thu Mar 17, 2022 8:15 pm
Awesome!
I had a titanium key for my current 240, and then the ignition cylinder went out, so I swapped one in from a parts car I had and now my nice key no longer works :(
ahh that sucks. could always get the cylinder repinned by a locksmith to your old key, or get a new key. would prob cost the same amount either way :gotme

PapaSmurf2k3
Site Admin

Yeah I tried hitting up the guy that sold me the last one but never got a response. I even laser-engraved mine :(
Who's your source?

m tr4nch

PapaSmurf2k3 wrote:
Sat Mar 19, 2022 7:04 am
Yeah I tried hitting up the guy that sold me the last one but never got a response. I even laser-engraved mine :(
Who's your source?
source for locksmith? i don't have one lol. if you mean for the titanium key i got it from ronin imports. they offer a cutting service too so i just had them do it, didn't want to risk anyone local around here messing up the key.

PapaSmurf2k3
Site Admin

Yeah I meant titanium key source haha... I didn't expect you to find a locksmith for me.
Looks like they are out of stock of the 240 keys at the moment :(
Thanks for the link!

NukeKS14
Car: 1995 240SX SE - KA24DE-T
AC Cobra Mk IV Rep.
2020 Civic Si

m tr4nch wrote:
Thu Mar 17, 2022 7:35 pm
nothing much to update, still salty roads around here. :facepalm:

knocked out this little project the other day that i've been meaning to do. retrofit the generic keyfob circuit board into a newer nissan fob.
i used to do these for the g35/350z guys with the real nissan fobs (the older looking kind that look like this generic one) so i was already planning on doing this from the very beginning.
Now that is clever as heck! I have the stock keyless ignition system in my 95 SE but I have tried (and failed) to replace the keyfob since the OEM one is busted. I threw your little $14 box from that link onto my wish-list and if I can't get the stock system working, I'm gonna go that route.

That's really clean what you did with the fob there. Never considered relocating the momentary switches on the PCB before now... :BnB:

float_6969
Car: CA18DET swapped 1995 Nissan 240sx (too many mods to list)
2015 SV Leaf w/QC & Bose (daily)

Were you not able to locate an OEM FOB, or did replacing it not work? I had issues with my stock system not working after I replaced the FOB and it ended up that the stock hood sensor was bad. I just unplugged it and it's worked perfectly ever since.

m tr4nch

NukeKS14 wrote:
Mon Mar 21, 2022 4:23 pm
Now that is clever as heck! I have the stock keyless ignition system in my 95 SE but I have tried (and failed) to replace the keyfob since the OEM one is busted. I threw your little $14 box from that link onto my wish-list and if I can't get the stock system working, I'm gonna go that route.

That's really clean what you did with the fob there. Never considered relocating the momentary switches on the PCB before now... :BnB:
thanks! wasn't too hard to do, just took some time to get it all fitted up. yeah if your oem stuff is on its way out then why not, the kit is certainly cheap enough. if i ever need more fobs i will just buy another whole kit lol.
float_6969 wrote:
Thu Mar 24, 2022 4:53 am
Were you not able to locate an OEM FOB, or did replacing it not work? I had issues with my stock system not working after I replaced the FOB and it ended up that the stock hood sensor was bad. I just unplugged it and it's worked perfectly ever since.
this 240 was a base model from the factory so it didn't have any keyless entry/power lock stuff. so the easiest/cheapest way to get keyless entry was to get that universal kit hooked up.

float_6969

Ooohhh, that makes more sense.

ImBackBitches
Car: 1991 Nissan 240SX
Mazworx SR2.2 Stroker, etc

Ah this makes my heart happy.
I wish I could take the time to make things as mint as you have.
This thing looks beautiful so far. Great job.

m tr4nch

ImBackBitches wrote:
Tue May 24, 2022 6:47 pm
Ah this makes my heart happy.
I wish I could take the time to make things as mint as you have.
This thing looks beautiful so far. Great job.
thank you!

small update here.
soooooo i got some cts-v calipers! painted them red, slapped on some brembo stickers, clear coated, baked in the oven as per the paint's instructions. then realized i didn't shave enough off the back for the knuckle/adapter bracket to clear, shaved that out, touched the paint up and threw em on!

new in the box

prepped up for paint

i used vht caliper paint. sprayed the red, applied the high temp brembo stickers, then sprayed the clear.

fresh out of the oven

afterwards realized i didn't take enough material off, oops! i touched up these spots after i was done with final test fitting. this is how much needs to be removed so the knuckle will clear-

had to trim a little bit off the dust shields, no biggie.

got some new stainless braided lines since i needed banjo style fittings, and got some hawk hps pads to try out.

the final installation with the adapter brackets-

before and after. definitely noticeably bigger!

replaced the brake fluid in the reservoir and bled the whole system. took it out for a spin to do the brake bed-in procedure. got some good pad material on the rotors, done. they sure look way better sitting behind the g35 wheels now! the z32 brakes were looking a little small in there lol.

so for anyone curious, i got the calipers from rockauto for about $136 each (cheap!), the adapter bracket kit on ebay from hybrid performance, and then followed the installation instructions from ctsvbrakeswap found on their site here. i went with the zinc plated drilled & slotted powerstop rotors so they would match the rear. i thought about getting the 2-piece rotors from z1 but didn't feel like spending that much on them right now. maybe in the future.

as far as performance goes, i haven't driven it enough yet to make any comments. the rear setup is still z32. if anything i may try and get my hands on a rear r33 gtr brembo setup. the rotor is slightly larger than the z32 and apparently it all bolts right up. this setup should be ok for now though.

NukeKS14
Car: 1995 240SX SE - KA24DE-T
AC Cobra Mk IV Rep.
2020 Civic Si

Those look great on there! That's exactly what I did to upgrade the fronts on my '14 Camaro from the standard 4 pot to the 6 pot ZL1/late CTS-V setup. Those look just like the 5th Gen Camaro SS calipers and I bet they are. Wish I'd have kept mine instead of selling them.

If you know the Delco part # you can sometimes snag them on Amazon for cheap too but it's more of a gamble than Rockauto.

Weather's nice out, do you have any plans to strap a GoPro on there and get some driving vids this summer?

m tr4nch

NukeKS14 wrote:
Sun Jun 26, 2022 8:05 am
Those look great on there! That's exactly what I did to upgrade the fronts on my '14 Camaro from the standard 4 pot to the 6 pot ZL1/late CTS-V setup. Those look just like the 5th Gen Camaro SS calipers and I bet they are. Wish I'd have kept mine instead of selling them.

If you know the Delco part # you can sometimes snag them on Amazon for cheap too but it's more of a gamble than Rockauto.

Weather's nice out, do you have any plans to strap a GoPro on there and get some driving vids this summer?
thanks man, yeah i think they are the same as the camaro ones. looks like GM used these on a bunch of different models between chevy and cadillac. i do need to get some more action videos of this thing. i haven't touched my gopro in like 4 years :eek: lol. i will have to dig it out and see if it's still all good.

PapaSmurf2k3
Site Admin

Looks good! Whatcha doing with the old Z32s?

m tr4nch

PapaSmurf2k3 wrote:
Tue Jul 05, 2022 4:27 pm
Looks good! Whatcha doing with the old Z32s?
thanks! i'm saving them to throw on my z31 one of these days.

m tr4nch

well guys, the 240 has finally slayed the dragon!
trailered it down with a few friends over labor day weekend, hit the tail of the dragon and a few other nice mountain roads. i am pretty impressed with this thing, i had zero issues other than some annoying slight rubbing of my front tires on the plastic wheel liners on hard turns. the dragon is probably the #1 test of a car's ability and i'm glad this thing did so well!

PapaSmurf2k3
Site Admin

Damn, we were out there too... cabin 630 at Fontana Village.
Got rained out most of the weekend, but that made for light traffic on the dragon and some cool pictures.
Vette on dragon in rain small.jpg

float_6969

LOOOVVVEEE it!!!! That's so great. It's amazing how far it's come from where you started. Congrats again.

m tr4nch

PapaSmurf2k3 wrote:
Tue Sep 13, 2022 6:09 am
Damn, we were out there too... cabin 630 at Fontana Village.
Got rained out most of the weekend, but that made for light traffic on the dragon and some cool pictures.
nice, yeah we got down there weds evening, so we had thurs and fri which were good days. sat & sun got rained out so we didn't drive. we stayed in bryson city this year.

float_6969 wrote:
Tue Sep 13, 2022 10:27 am
LOOOVVVEEE it!!!! That's so great. It's amazing how far it's come from where you started. Congrats again.
thanks man! :bigthumb:

m tr4nch

updates!

small detail in the bay. got an old logo nismo radiator cap sticker from restomodninja, to match the other old nismo logo stuff. put it right over the real one, so it's still legit right? kinda? :biggrin:

scored a couple goodies from yahoo japan. black s15 sun visors w/ mirrors, black s15 dome light, and manual seatbelt trim pieces for the b-pillars, which i'll eventually have to cut holes for and fit. i'll get around to installing it all one of these days.

i finally got all the aero pieces painted! so i went about installing everything.

fresh from the shop:

installed the xenon lip first. during previous test fitting i had drilled a few mounting holes for a bolt/nut. i did not use any double sided tape. i painted the heads of the mounting hardware for everything black so they would be less noticable.

side skirts up next. i scraped off and replaced all the foam strips with new stuff, and used the brackets that i made a few years back.

for the rear valance kit, just standard install with bolt/nut and double sided tape in the designated places.

before i mounted the wangan wing, there was a small damaged spot on the corner of the hatch i wanted to take care of. the wing will cover 90% of it and you won't see it unless you're looking for it after it's mounted, but i wanted to fix it the "right" way beforehand instead of risking it getting worse later on.

so this spot happened as i was moving parts around years ago. i closed the front door of my house as i was walking in with the hatch and the edge of the door caught the corner and chipped the paint right off back down through the layers to the original color. so it's been there since before i even had the car back together. it's about the size of a dime.

so i began the process. sand down and feather edge, filled in with some high build primer, then glazing putty, sand smooth, color coats, sand smooth, 2k clear coats, sand smooth, buff out, done!

full disclosure- it's not a perfect repair, and i knew it wasn't gonna be. i f'd up the first time and sanded through the clearcoat after i was done and basically had to do it all over again, doh! :slap: the black color i used isn't a 100% match, it's a shade lighter but you can't tell unless you're shining a light directly on it (the wing will cover 90% of it), and the surface isn't totally totally flat with the surrounding area but it's pretty damn close (once again the wing will cover it). all in all i'm happy with the result. it was the first time i've ever done any spot repair like that so i'm happy with it.

with that out of the way, i set up everything to get the wing mounted. i used some 2" wide 3m double sided tape. did some test fitting and used welding magnets to hold the position so i could just line the wing back up once i was ready to mount.

underneath the wing on each side are 2 openings above the edge of the hatch. to me they look like places to put brackets to secure the wing to the hatch. i did some looking around on teh internetz and came up empty handed with any info of anyone doing this.

i decided to make my own mounting brackets. the 2" wide double sided tape is pretty strong but i will feel better with having actual brackets holding it on just in case. i don't want the wing flying off on the highway from a strong gust of wind lol.

so i came up with these:

made from stainless steel, they wrap around the hatch edge and secure from underneath with a set screw with blue loctite. i didn't want the set screws to destroy the hatch seam sealer and paint so i cut some strips of scrap stainless bands i had laying around to go between the screw and the hatch. also added a piece of neoprene on the inside of the brackets to prevent scratching of the hatch edge.

m tr4nch

fully installed. and yes, there's enough room for the brackets to fit in the panel gap without touching anything when the hatch is closed.

pulled it out of the garage for some pics. damn, i love it!

that's about it for the moment. i should have some more coming soon!

here's a teaser... ;)

PapaSmurf2k3
Site Admin

So freaking awesome man. Are you still running a plastic radiator though?
Also, are you coming to Carlisle the weekend of May 13th?

m tr4nch

PapaSmurf2k3 wrote:
Sun Apr 30, 2023 9:06 am
So freaking awesome man. Are you still running a plastic radiator though?
Also, are you coming to Carlisle the weekend of May 13th?
thanks!
yeah that's my frankensteined radiator. s14 core with s13 end tanks. it was the thickest core i could fit and still be able to stuff a clutch fan in there. been fine so far.
and no good for carlisle, i'll be busy that weekend. :frown:

m tr4nch

nismo stripes!!!

got these from acromann. the quality of the vinyl is pretty good. their website is ancient and doesn't have any ssl encoding which i didn't feel comfortable about, so i messaged them on ebay ("decalbase") and bought directly from them with paypal after a few emails back and forth. they don't look active anymore on instagram either but they are still around. :gotme
the sides are the 119" length, and the hood stripes are the 15" wide version.
they can do the stripes in what ever color combo you want. i chose the traditional nismo color scheme.

getting ready for the sides. testing placement and used blue tape as a guide for the bottom edge, using the body line as the reference point.

sides on, hood on!

just the look i was going for, i love how it came out! looks a lot better in person.

now i just need to get some real wheels lol. one of these days...
will tackle more of the interior next when i get some time.
:bigthumb:

m tr4nch

PapaSmurf2k3
Site Admin

I'm not sure how I feel about the hood one, but the rest is growing on me. Hey at the end of the day, its your car and you can do whatever you want with it.
What's wrong with the wheels you have on there now? Why don't you like them?

m tr4nch

PapaSmurf2k3 wrote:
Fri May 19, 2023 9:37 am
I'm not sure how I feel about the hood one, but the rest is growing on me. Hey at the end of the day, its your car and you can do whatever you want with it.
What's wrong with the wheels you have on there now? Why don't you like them?
they aren't for everyone, i love them though.
as for the wheels, i like how the g35 wheels look on it, but i always wanted either some work vs-xx or lmgt4's. or lmgt1's but i sure as hell can't afford them now. not a must, but one day i would like something else. i may even go down to 17's with them.

asoomal
Car: 2001 Subaru Impreza L 5MT (Daily)
1992 Nissan 240SX SE 5MT w/HICAS (Being restored)

Lawdy that's a beauty!!

It definitely has a 90s vibe going on, love it!

m tr4nch

asoomal wrote:
Sat Jun 10, 2023 9:08 pm
Lawdy that's a beauty!!

It definitely has a 90s vibe going on, love it!
thanks dude! please tell me you're still working on yours?!

Return to “240sx General Discussion”