m tr4nch's restoration/build thread !! (56k = death)

General discussion forum about the 240sx, and a great place to introduce yourself to the board!
m tr4nch
Car: RS13, Z31, P11

Topless_S13 wrote:This build is absolutely awesome! Keep up the good work!
thanks!!
GoodzKouki wrote:Hey m tr4nch, as always your work is amazing. I was wondering if you were planing on running differant seats at some point, and if so would you be willing to sell the GTR seats to a fellow New Jerseyan :biggrin: ?
thank you sir. i eventually want to get some red dc5 ITR recaro's, but not sure when that will happen. i want to get the car on the road first lol.
Toyojay wrote:A spectacular car! Have enjoyed reading through your years of work! Post updates! :bigthumb:
thank you!

m tr4nch

my time's been pretty sparse lately. i've been working on getting the block and head cleaned up.

removed the oil pan and oil pump. the neo's have an N1 oil pump from the factory. and the long crank collar on the neo's is a myth. every one i've seen pictures of has the short collar, including mine.

i also got the gasket material removed from both the block and the head.

during:

after:

need to finish cleaning them up a bit.

CarAudioChris
Car: 1996 Nissan 240sx w/ RB25DET

Keep it up brother. I will do this one day... Hopefully sooner than later.

LSDrift
Car: 1990 RS13 RB25

This thread is my motivation for my very similar project...any updates!? Amazing work!

Flicktitty
Car: 1989 Nissan 240sx 2JZ-GTE Swapped
1994 Toyota Supra
2019 Lexus GX460
1992 Lexus SC400

I'm curious to see what kind of progress has been made in nearly the year since the last update.

Very impressive to see you're still building this car, and not just that you're continuing the build, but the quality hasn't fallen off in the least.

Very Cool.

m tr4nch

CarAudioChris wrote:Keep it up brother. I will do this one day... Hopefully sooner than later.
LSDrift wrote:This thread is my motivation for my very similar project...any updates!? Amazing work!
Flicktitty wrote:I'm curious to see what kind of progress has been made in nearly the year since the last update.

Very impressive to see you're still building this car, and not just that you're continuing the build, but the quality hasn't fallen off in the least.

Very Cool.
thanks you guys. i know it's been almost a year since i last posted an update here. i was trying to make some more progress with things and then post a bunch of stuff completed but everything's been real slow for me because life. but i'm going to gather all the pics i have and make an update post and hopefully have more posts regularly since i'm starting to move nicely on this project again.

thanks for the continued interest! keeps me going. :mike

m tr4nch

so first thing's first, for the last year and a half i've been working as a fabricator/welder and my skills have improved significantly. i do aluminum mig at work, rarely any steel. figured i would throw this out there considering during the beginning of this thread my welds kinda looked like crap lol.

here are some examples of my work:

also picked up a new mig and tig machine for a good price. i need to get some more tig practice in.

first mig steel bead ran with the new machine, testing it out:

quite an improvement from way back when!

m tr4nch

made a bit of progress since last year.

took the block out in the driveway, scrubbed it down real good to clean the gasket surface, and to prep the outsides for paint. used like 8 cans of brake cleaner.

taped everything off that wasn't getting painted-

used some eastwood high temp 2k engine paint. i wanted a matte black finish but they didn't have straight high temp matte black, so i got the gloss black and some matte clear.

primer-

black-

peeled the tape off the freeze plugs and a couple other parts and then sprayed the clear, and came out like this-

painted some other parts while i was at it. masterseries base coat, then finished off with some eastwood 2k rat rod satin black and some matte clear in a few places.

throttle body, aac valve, power steering pump-

starter-

vtc solenoid and cam gear-

used some of the leftover high temp gloss black on the turbo coolant fittings, since the blue/red earls theme won't match anything. and used leftover high temp matte clear on the power steering fittings.

trans adapter plate cleaned up and painted-

rear timing plate cleaned up and painted. there's a vacuum hard line that runs behind it that interferes with the greddy manifold that needs to be cut off, so i cut the tube and crushed the ends shut with my press.

started to clean up the oem fuel rail to clear coat it, but underneath all that dirt was a neochrome-looking finish that i like, and the clear would have made it all dull, so i left it. looks pretty cool.

i then started to dig into the head. cleaned it up the best i could.
cleaned out all the spark plug wells-

cleaned all the carbon out of the exhaust ports and cleaned off gasket material from the flange surface-

cleaned out top end where the cams sit-

ended up having to pull the cams anyways to do the seals-

and FINALLY.... threw in arp head studs and put the head back on the block. i used copper gasket spray to help with sealing a little more, figured it wouldn't hurt. then reinstalled cams with new seals.

so as you can see i finally have some engine assembly going on. everything i wanted to paint is now painted for the most part. i just need to get some more things powdercoated, but it's finally starting to come together so i should be updating this thread a little more often.

m tr4nch

can't forget about new parts!

grabbed a nismo timing belt and clear cam cover. should look pretty sweet. :biggrin:

bought a bunch of the new p2m hose clamps to use with my future intercooler/intake piping. they look very good and seem to be of very high quality, i'm impressed.

mocked up on the throttle body-

also picked up p2m carbon hood struts. much easier when popping the hood instead of using the prop rod. best part is it doesn't require any hole drilling.

got a nice apexi filter kit-

caved in and got the tomei titanium test pipe to match the catback exhaust. welds look yummy

picked up a used z32 speed sensor to use in the rb trans so the speedo will read correctly

i know i'm forgetting some things, will take more pics and post them up later!

Hijacker
Car: '92 240sx Convertible
'94 F-150

Those clamps are the sexy!

And dude, your welds at the beginning of this thread were still great for someone who literally had 0 experience. You've just improved on a raw talent.

m tr4nch

Hijacker wrote:Those clamps are the sexy!

And dude, your welds at the beginning of this thread were still great for someone who literally had 0 experience. You've just improved on a raw talent.
haha thanks man. yeah i guess i just had to practice a little and hone those skills.

LSDrift

Awesome. I need to put together a build thread for mine. Glad to see you're still at it! This motivates me!

LSDrift

Also, you may have said it earlier in the thread but where did you source all your OEM Nissan stuff from? Lots of this S13 stuff is getting pretty scarce... :/ I'd search through the thread more but I'm having a hard time with things loading due to all the ads...

m tr4nch

LSDrift wrote:Also, you may have said it earlier in the thread but where did you source all your OEM Nissan stuff from? Lots of this S13 stuff is getting pretty scarce... :/ I'd search through the thread more but I'm having a hard time with things loading due to all the ads...
i've placed orders through a few different places over the years. i used mainly midway nissan- http://www.partsfornissans.com/
also have used http://www.courtesyparts.com/
and https://www.amayama.com/en for oem stuff from japan

and yeah, hard to believe some of the things i've ordered a few years back are discontinued/not available anymore now.

Hijacker
Car: '92 240sx Convertible
'94 F-150

I'm running into situations where I wish I had ordered parts years ago when they were readily available. But, all is not completely lost. There's still lots of stuff available. It's just some weird odds and ends

LSDrift

So...a little off topic...but I built the dolly/cart that you did a write up for(which works sweet btw)...and now I'm trying to figure out how in the hell you got it loaded into that Uhaul trailer. Did you use plywood as ramps or anything like that? The dolly makes things a lot easier but it's still definitely like a 4 man job I'm thinking.

m tr4nch

LSDrift wrote:So...a little off topic...but I built the dolly/cart that you did a write up for(which works sweet btw)...and now I'm trying to figure out how in the hell you got it loaded into that Uhaul trailer. Did you use plywood as ramps or anything like that? The dolly makes things a lot easier but it's still definitely like a 4 man job I'm thinking.
no ramps, just lifted it up with a few people. the half rotisserie bar i made for the rear helped a lot for doing that. basically 2 people standing on the trailer can deadlift the car up and onto the rear of the trailer. of course i had the dolly strapped to the car at that point so it would come up with it. then it's just a matter of pushing it back to fit in the trailer.

i moved the car this way i believe 4 times to transport it to different places. but yes it will take you plus another 2 or 3 people to do.

m tr4nch

dropped some parts off today for powdercoating so hopefully i'll get them back in the next week or two.

did a couple random things:

oem exhaust manifold studs installed. was going to use the arp ones but they were fitting super tight and i didn't want to chance anything like stripping the threads or have to tap them, etc.

did some tig for once, welded in the an fittings on the valve covers. i got the fittings from raw brokerage, they are supposed to be press fit for series 1 rb25's but the neo's openings are a hair bigger and they slide in and out freely so they must be welded in place. not bad for my first try on cast aluminum i suppose. didn't even use any filler rod, just fused together pretty effortlessly.

also while i was at it, i decided to chop off the protrusion on the rear part of the intake-side valve cover since it doesn't need to be there. on the neo covers there's a boost sensor iirc that mounts there. cut off with a band saw and then grinded/sanded down smooth.

and lastly, sanded off/buffed out the zaklee website letters on the clear cam cover because it looks really out of place and stupid on there. now you can't even tell it was there.

will have more to post once i get everything back from being powdercoated!

centralcoaster33
Car: 240SX #5-1997

Of all the places to advertise your brand, the middle of a clear window shouldn't be a consideration, especially if your business is clear windows! I'm glad to see you found time to post some updates and photos.

m tr4nch

got everything back from being powdercoated, and wow, i am impressed at how well it all came out.

the lighting sucks in these indoor pictures because of the floor so the gold looks really dull.

and for the newer style greddy manifolds that i talked about previously, the water fitting does indeed just thread in with an o-ring.

a little better representation of the color:

and way better pics out in the sunlight

should look pretty sweet once it's all together.
:bigthumb: :bigthumb:

LSDrift

Looking good! You have any plans to go bigger turbo in the future? I noticed your stock turbo outlet pipe/elbow was in that group of powder coated goodness.

240sxier_than_u
Car: 1995 Nissan 240sx

Do you have any videos of the build on YouTube? By when do you think you'll have the engine together? I can only image how much stress you probably went through. The car is gonna be perfect when it's completed.

centralcoaster33
Car: 240SX #5-1997

240sxier_than_u wrote:The car is gonna be perfect when it's completed.
This thread is like 9 years old, your project seems to be maybe 10 years old and I've been following for at least 6 years. I agree with the above post. Which makes me wonder, are you going to be okay with driving around a perfect car that you personally assembled completely? Will you be all cautious and :ohno: or will you be driving it hard, knowing it's all done tight and reliable :woot: :shifter: ?

m tr4nch

LSDrift wrote:Looking good! You have any plans to go bigger turbo in the future? I noticed your stock turbo outlet pipe/elbow was in that group of powder coated goodness.
as of right now, not really tbh. i'm not looking to make crazy power with this car. who knows though, that may change in the future.
240sxier_than_u wrote:Do you have any videos of the build on YouTube? By when do you think you'll have the engine together? I can only image how much stress you probably went through. The car is gonna be perfect when it's completed.
no youtube videos unfortunately. i've been playing around with the idea of doing a timelapse video of dropping the engine in the car, i think that would be pretty cool. no idea when it will be together. things keep coming up, time gets stretched out, run into problems, etc. hopefully this summer but i know i've said that like every single year this has been going on for lol.
centralcoaster33 wrote:This thread is like 9 years old, your project seems to be maybe 10 years old and I've been following for at least 6 years. I agree with the above post. Which makes me wonder, are you going to be okay with driving around a perfect car that you personally assembled completely? Will you be all cautious and :ohno: or will you be driving it hard, knowing it's all done tight and reliable :woot: :shifter: ?
yeah i didn't really expect this whole thing to drag out to this many years when i first started it. i think at first i'll be cautious until i get used to driving it again and work out all the kinks. once i'm confident everything is all good then i will definitely be driving it spirited. gotta enjoy the fruits of my labor haha.

m tr4nch

got a few things done. installed new rear main seal, oil pump, oil pan, water pump, and thermostat with the freshly powdercoated housing tube.

went ahead and cleaned up the injectors and replaced the filter baskets, o-rings, and pintle caps. next up is install them into the fuel rail and test fit in greddy manifold to see what kind of spacers i will have to make so the whole thing mounts properly. the neo fuel rail mounts differently than the r33 rail (which the greddy is designed for).

after all of that is done, will move onto installing timing stuff, hot side/turbo, intake side, and accessories!

speaking of timing stuff, i decided to get a fluidampr pulley to replace the old stock one. it had a few chips in it and for the price i got the new one for i figured what the hell, might as well do it now. they have these listed for only fitting the rb26, but it will work with the neo rb25 no problem. the neo uses a 4-rib power steering pulley just like the rb26, whereas the r33 rb25 uses a 3-rib pulley. so the rb25 isn't listed as compatible, although i'm sure you could put the 3-rib belt on there just fine if you had a s1/s2 r33 rb25.

i hope to have things rolling a little quicker from now on. this is the fun part!

m tr4nch

got around to making some spacers for mounting the neo fuel rail. i cut these out of 1" flat bar that we had at work, they are about 19mm thick (1" wide). everything seems to fit up nicely with the injector adapters i got from madparts.net and new fat o-rings from the r33 fuel rail/intake manifold. it's mounted nice and solid, should have enough sealing pressure around the fat o-rings since it's leaving indentations in them. should be good to go.

wa-chiss
Car: 1990 Nissan S13 H/C KA24E
2005 Toyota Sequoia
1976 Honda CB750F Super Sport

Wow bro! I'm extremely jealous right now. This thread just keeps getting better.

Please tell me you're going to use a wiring specialty harness or equivalent for this thing. Nothing like new wires and connectors to hook up to these clean parts.

m tr4nch

wa-chiss wrote:Wow bro! I'm extremely jealous right now. This thread just keeps getting better.

Please tell me you're going to use a wiring specialty harness or equivalent for this thing. Nothing like new wires and connectors to hook up to these clean parts.
thanks! yes of course i got a new harness from them. i think i posted it up on the last page :dblthumb:

wa-chiss
Car: 1990 Nissan S13 H/C KA24E
2005 Toyota Sequoia
1976 Honda CB750F Super Sport

wow, don"t know how I missed an entire page...... I see it now. Good thing!

m tr4nch

ughh damn you photobucket. i may need to go with another image hosting site.
anyways, got a few things in the works right now, will be back to post updates.

Return to “240sx General Discussion”