m tr4nch's restoration/build thread !! (56k = death)

General discussion forum about the 240sx, and a great place to introduce yourself to the board!
Nis-240sx-san
Car: 1991 240sx KA-T

WOW! .....This is a really nice build. You must have a lot of patience to do this kind of extensive work. +12467432 for the great work

Ericb
Car: 91 240sx

Your awesome.

Im lost for words with this build.

pflicht
Car: 1991 Nissan 240sx - SOLD
2000 Lincoln LS - DEAD
1997 Nissan Maxima - DD
1991 Nissan 240sx - Project

I would really like to have your motor!

Ericb
Car: 91 240sx

I would like to have this mans heart (not in a gay way) and determination

240 GTR
Car: '98 240sx. 2006 yamaha raptor 700r

wow. i knew you were restoring your 240, but i didnt think you were doing all of this. it's amazing!

i dont know if you remember, but i bought the tein he's from you. i'm glad to see that you are still going to put coilovers on it.

keep it up man. looks like your almost there!

dalzell240
Car: 95 240sx red

i wish i had time and money for somethin like that

eldewen
Car: 89 240sx, 91 240sx (project swap car), 93 300ZX N/A Vert

m tr4nch wrote:
for sandblasting i use one of these guns with the hose attachedwith my air compressorand a bucket of sand

I'm also needing to get a sandblasting setup going and am kind of a n00b about it so far. By "and a bucket of sand," do you mean literally, like a bucket of sand from the backyard, or do you need to buy some special fine grit sand? Also, does your sand blaster......have a hopper for the sand or does it siphon it?

sommmatt
Car: 1989 240SX

If you didn't spend so much time taking pictures you would be done by now.

m tr4nch
Car: RS13, Z31, P11

Ericb wrote:I would like to have this mans heart (not in a gay way) and determination
lol i get what you're saying though. thanks!
240 GTR wrote:wow. i knew you were restoring your 240, but i didnt think you were doing all of this. it's amazing!

i dont know if you remember, but i bought the tein he's from you. i'm glad to see that you are still going to put coilovers on it.

keep it up man. looks like your almost there!
of course i remember, haha. i've changed my aim sn since then (took the P out). how are the coils treating you? and how's your cars doing?
eldewen wrote:

I'm also needing to get a sandblasting setup going and am kind of a n00b about it so far. By "and a bucket of sand," do you mean literally, like a bucket of sand from the backyard, or do you need to buy some special fine grit sand? Also, does your sand blaster have a hopper for the sand or does it siphon it?
yes, i literally mean one of those orange paint buckets from home depot with sand in it. the gun siphons the sand from the bucket. and don't get sand from your backyard, or even worse, the beach.. i got 2 bags of sanitized play sand to use (also from home depot). i sweep up the sand when i'm done for the day and filter it through a screen. i haven't even opened the second bag yet.
sommmatt wrote:If you didn't spend so much time taking pictures you would be done by now.
hahah.. if you divide the number of pics i have by 3.5 years, i think i would be lacking in the pic department.

thanks for all the great comments

Jeff822

Wow dude this a pretty sick build, wish I had the money to do something like this.

pflicht
Car: 1991 Nissan 240sx - SOLD
2000 Lincoln LS - DEAD
1997 Nissan Maxima - DD
1991 Nissan 240sx - Project

Its been ~11 days since some pictures... This thread has delivered THUS far... I want more, more, MORE, MOAR!!!!!

Mista Lee
Car: 1991 Hatchback

damn mann, you have love for this carthis is real dedication.great job so far, and i'm lookin forward to seeing you finish it up!good luck!

datsun2401972
Car: 90 240sx coupe XE

m tr4nch wrote:what's wrong with my welding? i don't really care how it looks, i always grind them down a bit anyways. i just care that i get good penetration, which i am. i prefer the one-spot-next-to-the-other method as opposed to the long straight bead. thanks for looking out though
Yeh, I was gonna comment on your welds too, but I see perfect welds every day... It's not just penetration you want, but also resistance to cracking. A good rule of thumb, if it "looks" good, it is good. But even a good "looking" weld can crack. If you can find a good weldor that's been in the industry for a while(that's not an *******), you can learn alot from em'.

But regardless, this project is much deeper than how your welds look. And it's downright motivational for me. +1 for DIY!

m tr4nch

pflicht wrote:Its been ~11 days since some pictures... This thread has delivered THUS far... I want more, more, MORE, MOAR!!!!!
i know i know.. in about 2 weeks i will be starting to get **** done again. can't wait!!
datsun2401972 wrote:
Yeh, I was gonna comment on your welds too, but I see perfect welds every day... It's not just penetration you want, but also resistance to cracking. A good rule of thumb, if it "looks" good, it is good. But even a good "looking" weld can crack. If you can find a good weldor that's been in the industry for a while(that's not an *******), you can learn alot from em'.

But regardless, this project is much deeper than how your welds look. And it's downright motivational for me. +1 for DIY!
hmm i see.. i guess i will just practice some more then. thanks man.oh and sometime in the future, my next "project" will probably be an S30 i LOVE that car. (going by your name)

datsun2401972
Car: 90 240sx coupe XE

My s30 was my first car purchase with my own money...I was 17 at the time. I still have it actually, it's just on some lawyers property...and he's being a d!ck about it.

Awesome cars though. I would love to have a cherry one with an SR or RB25 in it. It just takes too much money to make those old engines roar. And then I bought my s13 coupe, so all funds for my s30 were moved to the s13...

Anyways, keep the inspiration coming!

perkeset
Car: 1993 240 sx

first off, props man one of the best builds i have ever seen on a s13. now as for the starter placement in the fire wall, i installed my rb and had to bang the fire wall back a good 2-3" to clearance it. depending on the kit you use yours will sitt different than mine, but you seem to be pretty good at welding so i would say you may want to make your own mounts we did and we sat the rb25 back about 2" from where it sits with the McKinney kit better weight balance for the car. yes that meant even more customizing of the fire wall but i think it was worth it.

oh and did i mention much respect for a bad azz build, oh yeah man if i ever see you at a show. . .i am buying you a beer cause after this build your gonna need it

gregfarz78
Car: 04 Honda S2000
97 Nissan Hardbody King Cab 4x4
09 Nissan Altima Coupe 3.5L

God damn man thats a nice build! Your nissan dealership must hear cha ching when you walk in the door lol I feel your pain about jersey cars though the road salt and salt water near the ocean just destroys everything around here, I bought my car from a guy in texas so I wouldn't have to deal with rust.

How much did the weatherstripping run you I need to replace all mine too...oh and where did you get that sandblast gun?

PhopsonNY

Hey Matt,

Great work here...

With all this work, I suggest you also get at all the parts that are not accessible with a rust converter/inhibitor.You seem to have got quite a bit of it, but for some extra safety, I would do it.

The areas I was worried about when I did my car;

Inside frame railsInside rocker panels,Inside the quarter panel ( you seem to have taken care of this)

I got hold of one of these kits and blasted those areas

http://www.eastwoodco.com/shop...21310

Good luck with all the good work

m tr4nch

datsun2401972 wrote:Awesome cars though. I would love to have a cherry one with an SR or RB25 in it. It just takes too much money to make those old engines roar.
S30 with rb25 =
perkeset wrote:first off, props man one of the best builds i have ever seen on a s13. now as for the starter placement in the fire wall, i installed my rb and had to bang the fire wall back a good 2-3" to clearance it. depending on the kit you use yours will sitt different than mine, but you seem to be pretty good at welding so i would say you may want to make your own mounts we did and we sat the rb25 back about 2" from where it sits with the McKinney kit better weight balance for the car. yes that meant even more customizing of the fire wall but i think it was worth it.

oh and did i mention much respect for a bad azz build, oh yeah man if i ever see you at a show. . .i am buying you a beer cause after this build your gonna need it
thanks i mentioned before back on page 1 that i am most likely going with the SYKO mounts. i guess i'll worry about the firewall when i get to the point of dropping the motor in.
gregfarz78 wrote:I feel your pain about jersey cars though the road salt and salt water near the ocean just destroys everything around here, I bought my car from a guy in texas so I wouldn't have to deal with rust.

How much did the weatherstripping run you I need to replace all mine too...oh and where did you get that sandblast gun?
yeahh that's one of the bad things about living around here.. the weatherstripping ran me about $600. that's for everything: the 4 pieces for the doors, the door mouldings along the top, the hatch, and hood.

the sandblasting gun i got at home depot for like $15 or $20
PhopsonNY wrote:Hey Matt,

Great work here...

With all this work, I suggest you also get at all the parts that are not accessible with a rust converter/inhibitor.You seem to have got quite a bit of it, but for some extra safety, I would do it.

The areas I was worried about when I did my car;

Inside frame railsInside rocker panels,Inside the quarter panel ( you seem to have taken care of this)

I got hold of one of these kits and blasted those areas

http://www.eastwoodco.com/shop...21310

Good luck with all the good work
thanks man, yeah one of those undercoating guns is definitely on the list. when i'm done, i will have gone over pretty much every inch of this thing

gregfarz78

m tr4nch wrote:yeahh that's one of the bad things about living around here.. the weatherstripping ran me about $600. that's for everything: the 4 pieces for the doors, the door mouldings along the top, the hatch, and hood.

the sandblasting gun i got at home depot for like $15 or $20
Yeah hope you plan to garage keep that bad boy when you're all done it really makes a huge difference my spec is 6 years old its been garage kept most of its life and doesnt have a spec of rust on the underbody or anywhere. Did you spray that rust bullet or brush/roll it on?

m tr4nch

gregfarz78 wrote:
Yeah hope you plan to garage keep that bad boy when you're all done it really makes a huge difference my spec is 6 years old its been garage kept most of its life and doesnt have a spec of rust on the underbody or anywhere. Did you spray that rust bullet or brush/roll it on?
definitely will be garaged kept when i'm done.

for the engine bay and front wheel wells i sprayed on both coats of rust bullet. for the underbody in the rear i brushed on the first 2 coats over the sandblasted areas with a foam brush, and then sprayed on 2 coats to cover everything. so the sandblasted areas have a total of 4 coats now just in case. i'll be doing the same for the floor section as well.

gregfarz78

Nice like I said mine has no rust but after drooling over this thread I'm going to paint my entire interior with rust bullet even though it will be garaged and never see snow.

LeMoine
Car: 91 240sx coupe

If you ever sell this car then you might aswell just never buy a 240 again because no other s13 can be close to as nice as this will be when finished. Great project tho get some pics up i want mooree

dray3OOO
Car: 90 rb20 hatch HKS everythang
77 corolla stroke 2tg 40mm mikunis

wow def. inspirational a tru project. cant wait to see it done and its not even my car

__CURRTISS__
Car: 1997 Toyota Corolla

omg....i wish like many others that i had the time to do this....damn

Ghostdrifter88
Car: 2017 Taco

You have some serious patience.This build is freakin awesome. great job dude.

fitlife240sx
Car: 1995 240sx

wow its coming out really good so far...good luck

Flicktitty
Car: 1989 Nissan 240sx 2JZ-GTE Swapped
1994 Toyota Supra
2019 Lexus GX460
1992 Lexus SC400

LeMoine wrote:If you ever sell this car then you might aswell just never buy a 240 again because no other s13 can be close to as nice as this will be when finished. Great project tho get some pics up i want mooree
X ALOT!

lovin the build just stopped back for any updates.

s13gebala
Car: 99 maxima , 91 sr hatch

very nice, any engine mod plans with the rb25?

and do you think powerwash(water n air) would get rust off?

m tr4nch

thanks everyone! updates coming sooon, i promise.
s13gebala wrote:very nice, any engine mod plans with the rb25? and do you think powerwash(water n air) would get rust off?
for now i am just gonna leave the rb25 stock and get used to it. maybe some bolt on's in the future. i'll be shooting for low 300's, maybe like 320hp, but i will figure all that out later.

and for your other question, i don't think powerwashing rust is a good idea. first i don't think it will get it off, and second it will probably make it worse (water/air and bare metal = rust). so i'm going to have to advise against that

and on a side note, as of right now i am officially 21!!! w00t!!

Return to “240sx General Discussion”