m tr4nch's restoration/build thread !! (56k = death)

General discussion forum about the 240sx, and a great place to introduce yourself to the board!
pflicht
Car: 1991 Nissan 240sx - SOLD
2000 Lincoln LS - DEAD
1997 Nissan Maxima - DD
1991 Nissan 240sx - Project

Damn dude, thats fcuking amazing@ I would have been pissed at the whole damn thing and just did a shotty job and would have finished it up within a year. Way to stay motivated and not cut corners. And for the DIY on everything, +100

BTW, when you are done, I will allow those rust killing hands to come out to Kansas and clean my car of rust! jk

I will definately be looking for updates!

Hijacker
Car: '92 240sx Convertible
'94 F-150

Matt, do you have the part numbers on hand for the light and wiper switches? Convertibles tend to get theirs sun faded worse than other 240s, so I've been wanting to replace them and I've been having trouble pricing out the wiper switch. I'll have a lot better luck with a p/n

I'm actually surprised that you got a lot of the parts you did. It seems every time I go to order something oddball, Nissan has it on backorder.

homeslicej2
Car: 1990 S13 SR'd hatch

Holy crap. Nissan must love you cause I'm sure most of that stuff is $$$.
Hijacker wrote:...I'm actually surprised that you got a lot of the parts you did. It seems every time I go to order something oddball, Nissan has it on backorder.
I bet he had to wait awhile for a lot of those parts to come in from Japan or something.

urcaptnspeaking
Car: 2007 Ford Fusion, 2001 Honda Accord, 1978 Trans Am

this is nuts. I love it

m tr4nch
Car: RS13, Z31, P11

thanks guys yeah hopefully it will be drivable by the end of the summer, or at least rolling on the ground.
Hijacker wrote:Matt, do you have the part numbers on hand for the light and wiper switches? Convertibles tend to get theirs sun faded worse than other 240s, so I've been wanting to replace them and I've been having trouble pricing out the wiper switch. I'll have a lot better luck with a p/n

I'm actually surprised that you got a lot of the parts you did. It seems every time I go to order something oddball, Nissan has it on backorder.
headlight switch: 25540-44F00
wiper switch: 25260-44F00

and yeah, every time i place an order it takes at least 3 weeks since i order all the random sh*t lol.

Hijacker
'94 F-150

At least your parts dept. orders it Mine has been notoriuos for forgetting to order stuff. A set of main bearings for my motor rebuild comes to mind.

But everytime I go to order something oddball, like a set of power mirror interior sails, it seems to be on indefinite backorder.

Didderson
Car: 1990 240sx fastback; '88 Hardbody pickup; '74 Datsun Z

wtf 2xpost sry

Flicktitty
Car: 1989 Nissan 240sx 2JZ-GTE Swapped
1994 Toyota Supra
2019 Lexus GX460
1992 Lexus SC400

That is an awesome build! you very dedicated to your build! let me just say it's easy to tear **** apart put having to put it back together is where it gets tricky, then again i geuss everything you have is brand new in bags so you shouldn't have a problem.

Did you go through a nissan dealership to get the parts or a website?

m tr4nch

Hijacker wrote:At least your parts dept. orders it Mine has been notoriuos for forgetting to order stuff. A set of main bearings for my motor rebuild comes to mind.

But everytime I go to order something oddball, like a set of power mirror interior sails, it seems to be on indefinite backorder.
Flicktitty wrote:Did you go through a nissan dealership to get the parts or a website?
haha, that sucks. i go through http://www.midwaypartsteam.com in AZ. talk to mike jones there, he's taken care of most of my orders, awesome guy. he will get what you need, unless it's discontinued. or you could go through courtesy nissan's catalog online. midway's a little bit cheaper though
Flicktitty wrote:That is an awesome build! you very dedicated to your build! let me just say it's easy to tear **** apart put having to put it back together is where it gets tricky, then again i geuss everything you have is brand new in bags so you shouldn't have a problem.
thanks! i actually think it will be much easier to put back together than tear apart. most importantly because i wont have to deal with bolts/nuts/screws that are rusted to sh*t.

Lopin18
Car: 240sx Hatch 89 KA24E

O.O Whats your real name man? Mat Gates Nissan? or something around nissan? thats a lot of EXPENSIVE things there, the beauty of oem stuff

can we get an estimate on how much have u spent buying all that stuff (i mean the oem stuff only, vsld and all that are normal stuff to buy, but ALL that oem stuff is off the hook!)

Hijacker
'94 F-150

m tr4nch wrote:haha, that sucks. i go through http://www.midwaypartsteam.com in AZ. talk to mike jones there, he's taken care of most of my orders, awesome guy. he will get what you need, unless it's discontinued. or you could go through courtesy nissan's catalog online. midway's a little bit cheaper though
I used to order from Midway a lot, but when I'm ordering just one item at a time, the NICO discount doesn't really amount to much, and after shipping, it's cheaper to go through my local dealer.

And when I do a big order, I have some good hookups out here. I just don't like to take advantage of it too much.

Out of all the seals you ordered, did you happen to come across the part number for the seal that goes around the door handle and the one that goes in front of the handle key cylinder? Mine got painted over and I want to replace them before I reinstall the handles into the doors.

EDIT: Nevermind. I just got off the phone with my parts guy, and I'd have to buy the whole handle to get those seals. I guess I'll see if I can't try to save the ones I have

bmart

Quote »

lots of people don't take care of their cars around here during the winter (mine's a prime example). it looks like the previous owner parked it in the damn ocean for a while, lol.

[/quote]You would hate Canada if you think that that car was bad. A 240 In the condition that your car was in when you bught it would be worth 5-6000 dollars around here. What your doin looks great though. keep it up.

blinker_fluid
Car: 1991 240sx fastback, 2000 maxima se

When your done with that feel like restoring my car...jk. Seriously its looking like its all gonna be worth it in the end. So good that I'd be almost scared to drive it with all the bungholes on the road. What part of ocean you live in, if you need help with the motor install lmk I'm good with electrical and mechanical stuff just don't have a knack for body work. Hope to see it cruising soon, good luck.

m tr4nch

alright, more pictures..

rusty subframe

new unrusted subframe from CA (thanks to killswitch on zilvia)

KA crossmember

r33 crossmember

here's why i got a new e-brake T cable :eek:

rusty headlight brackets

non rusty headlight brackets

remember my quarter panel? this will replace it. :bigthumb:
thanks to tearlessj on zilvia

zero rust baby!!

some power window/mirror stuff (thanks to bamracing and ebay)

and this is how she sits right now :frown:

and the motor
Last edited by m tr4nch on Tue Jun 21, 2011 6:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.

m tr4nch

Lopin18 wrote: can we get an estimate on how much have u spent buying all that stuff (i mean the oem stuff only, vsld and all that are normal stuff to buy, but ALL that oem stuff is off the hook!)
hmm let's see.. all the suspension bolts/nuts/etc. was around 500. then all the other stuff adds up to about 3k.. and i'm not done yet
Hijacker wrote:I used to order from Midway a lot, but when I'm ordering just one item at a time, the NICO discount doesn't really amount to much, and after shipping, it's cheaper to go through my local dealer.

And when I do a big order, I have some good hookups out here. I just don't like to take advantage of it too much.

Out of all the seals you ordered, did you happen to come across the part number for the seal that goes around the door handle and the one that goes in front of the handle key cylinder? Mine got painted over and I want to replace them before I reinstall the handles into the doors.

EDIT: Nevermind. I just got off the phone with my parts guy, and I'd have to buy the whole handle to get those seals. I guess I'll see if I can't try to save the ones I have
ah true, yeah i don't recall a seal around the handles, idk lol
bmart wrote:You would hate Canada if you think that that car was bad. A 240 In the condition that your car was in when you bught it would be worth 5-6000 dollars around here. What your doin looks great though. keep it up.
yeah that definitely sucks for you guys in canada, idk what i would do.. i'd have to move south somewhere haha.
blinker_fluid wrote:When your done with that feel like restoring my car...jk. Seriously its looking like its all gonna be worth it in the end. So good that I'd be almost scared to drive it with all the bungholes on the road. What part of ocean you live in, if you need help with the motor install lmk I'm good with electrical and mechanical stuff just don't have a knack for body work. Hope to see it cruising soon, good luck.
lol yeah i know what you mean, people around here SUCK at driving big time NJ really needs to make the license test a LOT harder so we can get all the douchebags off the road.. oh and i don't mean ocean county over there << haha, i'm in monmouth though. thanks for the offer man, i'll keep that in mind if i need help.

mirochuki13
Car: 1992 240SX Hatch

I think the underbody looks better and better every time I check this thread.

Are you going to keep the car black?

m tr4nch

mirochuki13 wrote:I think the underbody looks better and better every time I check this thread.

Are you going to keep the car black?
yup, the plan is to get the whole car sprayed in KH3 super black again

NismoJ30
Car: 1994 Acura Integra, 1992 300zx TT

Huge props to u my friend, i thought i put huge blood and sweat into restoring my Integra, but nothing like this u definitely own me there. good luck and dont quit

AE240SX
Car: '95 240 SX-SE AT Pearl White

Matt,

Wow.... For claiming to not know anything about what you were doing you sure as heck are doing everything right. Time is money and you have so much invested in that car. I'm glad you mentioned Silbeer as that is one of my fav S-chassis cars ever. That car will be something to keep and give to the grandkids when your done with it. Goodluck.

bamracing
Car: 1989 240SX Coupe dirt track race car / 1989 240SX Fastback parts car

I've been waiting to see your build too. After seeing it, I'm not sure the door panels, power window, and power mirror parts I sent you are worthy. Keep up the great work!

You wouldn't happen to still have the old steelies lying around? My son and I could use some spares for our dirt tracker.

KFL
Car: S14

Wow.. super clean build up.. you have a lot of paitence and time. I'd be super anxious to get it up and running already.

Once our cars are running me and carlos gotta check that out and lend a hand if u need. -alex

lucky03602
Car: 96 d21 *work in progress*
01 xj Cherokee auto 4.0 4 1/2" lift 32x11.5x15 family dd

great job on the restoration, another subscriber here!!

i do feel bad for you when you have to put it all back together though...thats ALOT of work and always 1000% harder then is was taking it apart

looking at your pics. and living up in nh, i think ill end up sandblasting the checking my engine bay, seeing how all your rust was really on the inside.

darkspoon
Car: 1990 Nissan 240sx X2 + 1993 Nissan 240sx

As well, another subscriber here, great way to waste time at work, i've gone over the pictures a few times and i'm getting psyched up to do my own 240 restore. (I'll try to get pics, but you'll cry at the rust i'll be facing)

What kind of welder are you using?

BTW Thank you for the picture intensive thread, it is a great write-up of sorts. As well as the write up on the 240 dolly.

Just keep those pictures coming

boost4life1

This guy is NOT F U [ i |\| G around!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

bloodsport
Car: rps13 KA-T

boost4life1 wrote:This guy is NOT F U [ i |\| G around!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
really?

B-Boy DuB-L
Car: 1993 Nissan 240sx

Hey man if u still have that crossmember ill gladly take it off your hands for you

Cuz im looking to do a 5 speed swap. So if u have ny other parts ill take those to. Of course with some compensation

Young_240_Guht
Car: "90 240sx DOHC

Welder was probably set on pulse, and you weren't using the right settings? IDK, I wish i could have helped you with those welds after seeing how much work you've put into this car.

Kinda like what the older guys do with theyre classics, maybe if more of us would do this, Nissan might bring the S chassis back and more tasty engine choices

JaeTea
Car: 1990 240sx

You must have money to burn.

240life
Car: 1993 Coupe - S13 SR20det blacktop

I like it good luck this car should be sweeeeet when you finish!

m tr4nch

bamracing wrote:I've been waiting to see your build too. After seeing it, I'm not sure the door panels, power window, and power mirror parts I sent you are worthy. Keep up the great work!

You wouldn't happen to still have the old steelies lying around? My son and I could use some spares for our dirt tracker.
haha, they are definitely worthy! i'm so sick of having to lean over and roll the passenger window down (and mine too) all the time (my DD has manual windows as well). and i do believe i still have the steelies in my other shed, although the tires are pretty much bald. you can have them if you want to pay for shipping to TX.
KFL wrote:Wow.. super clean build up.. you have a lot of paitence and time. I'd be super anxious to get it up and running already.

Once our cars are running me and carlos gotta check that out and lend a hand if u need. -alex
thanks man
darkspoon wrote:As well, another subscriber here, great way to waste time at work, i've gone over the pictures a few times and i'm getting psyched up to do my own 240 restore. (I'll try to get pics, but you'll cry at the rust i'll be facing)

What kind of welder are you using?

BTW Thank you for the picture intensive thread, it is a great write-up of sorts. As well as the write up on the 240 dolly.

Just keep those pictures coming
i'm using a lincoln electric, model SP135T migthanks
B-Boy DuB-L wrote:Hey man if u still have that crossmember ill gladly take it off your hands for you

Cuz im looking to do a 5 speed swap. So if u have ny other parts ill take those to. Of course with some compensation
the KA crossmember? sure.. one of the motor mounts wouldn't budge so i started grinding the nut/bolt from underneath and never finished it. i don't have any extra 5-speed parts though...
Young_240_Guht wrote:Welder was probably set on pulse, and you weren't using the right settings? IDK, I wish i could have helped you with those welds after seeing how much work you've put into this car.

Kinda like what the older guys do with theyre classics, maybe if more of us would do this, Nissan might bring the S chassis back and more tasty engine choices
what's wrong with my welding? i don't really care how it looks, i always grind them down a bit anyways. i just care that i get good penetration, which i am. i prefer the one-spot-next-to-the-other method as opposed to the long straight bead. thanks for looking out though

Return to “240sx General Discussion”