m tr4nch's restoration/build thread !! (56k = death)

General discussion forum about the 240sx, and a great place to introduce yourself to the board!
naladude911
Car: 2001 Infiniti QX4

I wonder how much rust I have..... im in NY to, and I see a lot of what I hope is surface rust...

snwbrdr435
Car: 85 VW Westfalia, CBR F4i, SV650s, 1988 Honda Hawk(race)

nala rust is like an iceberg. You only see the smallest portion at the surface. What is really going to sink your ship is underneath.

m tr4nch
Car: RS13, Z31, P11

snwbrdr435 wrote:nala rust is like an iceberg. You only see the smallest portion at the surface. What is really going to sink your ship is underneath.
every time i went and looked harder i found something else

UsJdmTuner

nice man.. props to you.. thanks for answering my questions.. i was wondering if you have pictures of the foam brush you used to paint using RUST BULLET.. i read somewhere that you foam brushed it and sprayed it( did you mean spray gun or rust bullet come in spray cans?)

m tr4nch

UsJdmTuner wrote:nice man.. props to you.. thanks for answering my questions.. i was wondering if you have pictures of the foam brush you used to paint using RUST BULLET.. i read somewhere that you foam brushed it and sprayed it( did you mean spray gun or rust bullet come in spray cans?)
i use one of these to apply the first couple coats, they are like $0.49 each or something cheap like that at home depot:

and then i spray 2 coats with my sharpe fx300 spray gun:

the rust bullet unfortunately does not come in a spray can.

sped56737
Car: 2006 Mazdasped 6, 1995 Tacoma, 1965 Mustang, 1991 240sx, car hauler

this is awesome! lol my first post, just had to post in here. hope to see the updates.

nissandrftr88
Car: 34 240'S, 3 rx7's, 06 & 07 gsxr 1000

Im glad i live in the south where the rust aint nearly as bad!!

This is an awesome build,but i don think i would trust that rotisserie.

op.tic

Have you used any of the rust bullet black shell yet? got any pics of it applied? How hard is that stuff anyway, can it be chipped off at all?

RCA

m tr4nch wrote:and then i spray 2 coats with my sharpe fx300 spray gun:
Does that bad boy do paint as well?

Also when useing rust bullet isn't there a special cleaning procedure you must do to your gun to insure that the paint residue doesn't harden in the gun it self?

k00laid83

yea that gun shoots good....and also you can pick up a three guy paint gun set in a case sold by napa...i have that set and i've shot my cars roof.. my cousins cars...and a three stage house of color paint job on a harley. i think they cost me 120 for all three!

livinglegend2100
Car: 04' G35 coupe, 89' VG swapped Rx7, 03' Saturn Vue

this is by far the sickest build ive ever seen. you sir, are a god. more pitchassssssss please =D

240sxDrifter1126
Car: 240sx

very nice build...i cant wait to see it finished

m tr4nch

sped56737 wrote:this is awesome! lol my first post, just had to post in here. hope to see the updates.
thank you! welcome to nico!
op.tic wrote:Have you used any of the rust bullet black shell yet? got any pics of it applied? How hard is that stuff anyway, can it be chipped off at all?
i painted the lower radiator support with the blackshell before i welded it on. the finish is pretty much the same as the regular rust bullet. it looks powdercoated and doesn't chip. both the regular rust bullet and the blackshell are pretty tough coatings. i'll try and get a picture of it tomorrow when i'm in the garage.
rcabrita wrote:Does that bad boy do paint as well?

Also when useing rust bullet isn't there a special cleaning procedure you must do to your gun to insure that the paint residue doesn't harden in the gun it self?
yes it does.you have to keep the paint flowing or it will start to dry inside the gun. the directions on the rust bullet say not to let it sit more than 15 (?) minutes. after i'm done i run a bit of toluene through it and thoroughly clean it which works really well.
k00laid83 wrote:yea that gun shoots good....and also you can pick up a three guy paint gun set in a case sold by napa...i have that set and i've shot my cars roof.. my cousins cars...and a three stage house of color paint job on a harley. i think they cost me 120 for all three!
that's not bad for 3 spray guns.still using my sig? i fixed the "1" if you want it let me know.

update|||V

m tr4nch

did a little more cutting today.

got the driver's side draft duct cut out in the rear.

cut the bottom of the passenger side quarter panel off finally
still have to cut the duct part on the inside..

tomorrow i'll be cutting the duct, and i will be attempting to cut out the piece where the door hinge bolts up on the driver's side

(pic to refresh your memory)

Last edited by m tr4nch on Tue Jun 21, 2011 6:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RCA

Wow Awesome!

After all is said and done...what do you think all of this is going to do with the structual integrity of the car? You pretty much replaced it with welded together pieces of metal...

k00laid83

m tr4nch wrote:
thank you! welcome to nico!

i painted the lower radiator support with the blackshell before i welded it on. the finish is pretty much the same as the regular rust bullet. it looks powdercoated and doesn't chip. both the regular rust bullet and the blackshell are pretty tough coatings. i'll try and get a picture of it tomorrow when i'm in the garage.

yes it does.you have to keep the paint flowing or it will start to dry inside the gun. the directions on the rust bullet say not to let it sit more than 15 (?) minutes. after i'm done i run a bit of toluene through it and thoroughly clean it which works really well.

that's not bad for 3 spray guns.still using my sig? i fixed the "1" if you want it let me know.

update|||V
oh yea huh dang ive actually have been wanting to get rid of it man. and yea bro check those guns out!

tEknoS13
Car: 93' Type X

that spray gun, i saw some on ebay and they have different tips i think, they got 1.3,1.4, 1.5,..... which one do u have?

m tr4nch

rcabrita wrote:Wow Awesome!

After all is said and done...what do you think all of this is going to do with the structual integrity of the car? You pretty much replaced it with welded together pieces of metal...
i think it will be fine, if not better. i mean all a car really is is pieces of metal spot welded together in a million places.
k00laid83 wrote:oh yea huh dang ive actually have been wanting to get rid of it man. and yea bro check those guns out!
just bustin your balls man lol.. i'll have to take a ride over to napa one of these days and see what they got.
tEknoS13 wrote:that spray gun, i saw some on ebay and they have different tips i think, they got 1.3,1.4, 1.5,..... which one do u have?
ah yes.. i bought the gun with a 1.8 tip which is said to be good for spraying primer. i bought a 1.4 tip set to see if it would atomize the rust bullet a little better since it's pretty thick but i haven't really noticed any change.

i read that 1.4 is good for basecoats, and 1.2 for clearbut it looks like i won't be doing either of those myself so i'll be good with my 1.8/1.4 combo.

i'll have some more pics up later tonight hopefully

naladude911
Car: 2001 Infiniti QX4

what do you use to cut the metal?

m tr4nch

didn't get a lot done today...

went and picked up my new frame rail pieces

old vs. new:

double 16 gauge layers vs. the stock 16 on outside and 18 on inside:
still have some trimming/bending to do obviously

got the duct cut out on the passenger's side:

started the door hinge area.. wtf... :eek:
didn't even realize there was another layer in there.. mmm crusty...

ran out of juice in both batteries for my drill, so i will finish drilling the spot welds and cutting tomorrow.

just keeps getting worse and worse it seems :frown:
Last edited by m tr4nch on Tue Jun 21, 2011 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RCA

^ DON'T GIVE UP!We are all rooting for you! I swear one of these days I am going to pass by and help by getting in your way.

Traldan
Car: 98 240sx SE

I have an immense amount of respect for the work you've put into this car. Keep it up, man. I'll definitely be watching this.

gregfarz78
Car: 04 Honda S2000
97 Nissan Hardbody King Cab 4x4
09 Nissan Altima Coupe 3.5L

my god that car has a lot of rust you just keep finding more and more...don't give up though

m tr4nch

rcabrita wrote:^ DON'T GIVE UP!We are all rooting for you! I swear one of these days I am going to pass by and help by getting in your way.
gregfarz78 wrote:my god that car has a lot of rust you just keep finding more and more...don't give up though
haha.. i'm not giving up. it's just a friggin PITA
Traldan wrote:I have an immense amount of respect for the work you've put into this car. Keep it up, man. I'll definitely be watching this.
thanks!

did a little more today. i took a break and got sidetracked reading about welding and stuff online.

anyways.. got this b**** taken care of...

i guess i'll be stopping by the sheet metal shop again haha

i'm going to do the other side also, just to be on the safe side, although i'm sure it's not going to be quite as bad as that^ but still a little rusty nonetheless.

not sure if i'll get anything done tomorrow.
Last edited by m tr4nch on Tue Jun 21, 2011 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kalypso

KEEP GOING!!

Briggs

Dude, I just read all 4 pages, and you are the man. I give you a lot of props for this huge project. Suuuubscribed.

m tr4nch

Briggs wrote:Dude, I just read all 4 pages, and you are the man. I give you a lot of props for this huge project. Suuuubscribed.
thanks, much appreciated.

little bit of an update...

first off, here's a pic of the lower rad support with the black shell on it for those who were wondering. it comes out looking like it's powdercoated.(don't mind the silver specs, it's just a little overspray from when i painted the welds)

here is what the pass. side upper door hinge mount looked like. can't really tell from the outside if there's anything going on in there..

and DONE

i figured out why this happens. when the cars were originally manufactured, the pieces are spot welded together as bare metal. then the car gets an e-coat applied (electronically coated, for adhesion and to fill in everywhere). well those layers were so tight against each other that the paint didn't get in between them so over time the uncoated metal just rusted inside there. this may also be the reason why my frame rails rusted where there was the double layer.

anyways, that's it for now.

almost forgot, these bad boys showed up on my doorstep today:

edit: 600th post, w00t!!
Last edited by m tr4nch on Tue Jun 21, 2011 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

StricNyne

gittem gittem dont stop !!!

Kalypso

2.4Loflove
Car: 1993 Nissan 240SX SE

Return to “240sx General Discussion”