ludi´s ´90 S13 CA18DET

General discussion forum about the 240sx, and a great place to introduce yourself to the board!
JGT Customs

I always wanted to put a CA in the 3 240's I've owned. Car looks great and it's refreshing to see someone build a CA instead of the SR ;)

Luchitosan
Car: Nissan 200sx Ca18det 4 port

Wow great tires, are just for circuit isn't ?

Beautiful car love those rims and please more videos !

Luchito

ludi
Car: ´90 Nissan S13 CA18DET

Luchitosan wrote:Wow great tires, are just for circuit isn't ?

Beautiful car love those rims and please more videos !

Luchito
No, the tires are street legal. :naughty:

After some problems with the oil temperature / oil cooler everything is now ready for the first test drive on the Lausitz Ring at 06.05. The oil temperature do not rise and I suspected the oil cooler, but in the end it was a mass problem of the display. I hope it all works well for a large Trackday (almost-car-festival.de) at Oschersleben. ;)

Some pictures:

New Brakekit:

Image :woot:

Here's a little video about the responsiveness of my setup (there were many requests to, so I've taken it once):

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZM10C_sU63I[/youtube]

About 2 weeks ago we were in Most [CZ]. I was there only as a cameraman and supporters. From the footage I've made two videos. (Sorry, no Nissan with it. :( )

M5 E39 Drift (2x):
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5E0Q-biM2RE[/youtube]

Most Trackday-Clip:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YSQgav4capM[/youtube]

Best Regards, ludi

Luchitosan
Car: Nissan 200sx Ca18det 4 port

Excelents videos nice complitation between too images !
I wish you all were kept s13 like this...snif

Salute !

ludi

Luchitosan wrote:Excelents videos nice complitation between too images !
I wish you all were kept s13 like this...snif

Salute !
Thanks for the great comment! I am very pleased! :yesnod

First test run on the Euro Speedway Lausitz was quite successful. :D I was able to improve my personal best (from 2:18:70 to 2:16:40), but of course everything is still upgradeable! But I am glad that everything worked well. :)

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9LE1m52xpdg[/youtube]

Best Regards, ludi

ludi

Last weekend we went to Oschersleben for the "Fast Car Festival". It was the second time that this event is taking place and it was really great and we had a lot of fun! (And my first time on the track - much nicer to drive than the eurospeedway ...) The car ran great, except for one small problem with the studs on the front ...

Some pictures:

Stint 2:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cpccU_O7W94[/youtube]

Stint3 (Chased by my buddy with his 200SX S14a. ;) ):

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=edMPM4Poz_0[/youtube]

And a small clip from the day, with some more jdm cars. :)

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-Yjlp1oZyQ[/youtube]

Best Regards, ludi

ludi

My new headlight cover is finished and I am very happy with the result! :)

Best Regards, ludi

pepesilvia
Car: 96 S14

beautiful work as always ludi :bigthumb:

ludi

pepesilvia wrote:beautiful work as always ludi :bigthumb:
Thanks! :gapteeth:

So it looks now:

And a little video of the car from my buddy [SR20DET with 400hp]:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6lvqmVb5L-Y[/youtube]

Best Regards, ludi

ludi

Small update: my turbo was leaking at the end of last season yet. Reason: flange warped. :tisk:

So new flange weld:

Then there came a few new parts:

- Whiteline anti-roll bars
- Megan Racing camber adjustment

Some last pictures from the last season:

Parts for the new season:

255/40 R17 Michelin Pilot Cup:

Kaaz 2-Way:

Bailey DV30:

Piping has now been examined for leaks: Keeps 2 bar fine. Must replace only one location.

Best Regards, ludi

Jake The Snake
Car: S14 SR20DET

Very nice build! I love the pig nose s13 and here in the states the CA never gets put in cars (at least in my area) so I don't get to see them. I like it a lot. Glad you decided to build it instead of an SR swap. Looks like it paid off!

ludi

Jake The Snake wrote:Very nice build! I love the pig nose s13 and here in the states the CA never gets put in cars (at least in my area) so I don't get to see them. I like it a lot. Glad you decided to build it instead of an SR swap. Looks like it paid off!
Thank you for the nice comment! :) Yes, I'm not a "SR20-hater" or "CA-fanboy" - I simply opted out of money and lack of time for the CA.

My goals were also not so high that a SR20 would have been worth. But sometimes I miss the torque punch from a SR20 - but looking forward, then again, that my CA is gearbox friendly. ;)

Best Regards, ludi

ludi

The last post was already 6 years ago ... Time for an update! :) I still have the car and have modified it a little over the past few years, but also made it more suitable for everyday use ... The car is not for the racetrack anymore, but normal driving is now a lot more fun! It got now other Suspension, other Turbo, other enginemanagment, other Injectors, other ignition, other exhaust ...

Current spec-list:

Engine:

- CA18DET
- ACL-bearings STD
- Wiseco pistons 84mm
- K1 rods
- HKS headgasket
- Tomei springs
- HKS camshafts (In: 256/8.8 - Ex: 264/9.0)
- Stock camshaft gears
- Garrett GTX2867R .86 GEN2 @ 1.4bar
- braided lines
- 980cc BOSCH EV14
- ARC turnflow intercooler
- Bailey BlowOff
- APEXI Airfilter
- Apex engine and transmission mounts
- Audi R8 GT NGK Coilpacks
- BKR8EIX plugs
- R32 GTR radiator alloy
- D.Speed style manifold
- 3 Zoll engineback
- Exedy NSK-7279HDB paddle clutch
- Zex flywheel (9.8KG)
- Z32 fuelpump

suspension/wheels/brakes:

- KSport Suspension
- 350Z Front Brakes / Z32 Rear Brakes
- 5 lug swap
- braided lines
- 17x8 ET20 R32 GTR V-Spec by BBS
- S13 Ösi-Spec Diff 3.916

Interior:

- S14 seats
- EMU Black
- VDO Boost and Oiltemp gauge
- LC-1 with DB-gauge

Greatings, ludi

PapaSmurf2k3
Site Admin
Car: 2017 Corvette, 2018 Focus ST, 1993 240sx truck KA Turbo.

Nice update :)
Unfortunately the pictures aren't working.
What did the car dyno at with all the updates?

ludi

PapaSmurf2k3 wrote:
Wed Sep 09, 2020 11:37 am
Nice update :)
Unfortunately the pictures aren't working.
What did the car dyno at with all the updates?
With the old setup (366HP) I run 9.9s from 100-200 kph. With the new setup and 1.4bar boost I run 9.4s 100-200 kph. Now we managed to have 1.6bar boost. Next step is to change the wastegate. I think I have now about ~400hp?! I´m aiming for about 1.8-2bar boost.

Best Regards, ludi

ludi

Hey, season in Germany is over and I maneged it to go on the dyno. If do get not what I´m expected, but and the end I´m happy. At the the street I have a average of 1.55bar (22.5psi) boost. At the dyno I get only 1.45bar (21PSI).

Best Regards, ludi

PapaSmurf2k3
Site Admin

Yeah, almost looks like you're not hitting full boost until after 5,000 RPM.

ludi

You are right ... At the street I hit full boost at 4600upm. The owner of the dyno also feared to meassure the car at 4 gear.

Best Regards, ludi

float_6969
Car: CA18DET swapped 1995 Nissan 240sx (too many mods to list)
2015 SV Leaf w/QC & Bose (daily)

Is that a single scroll exhaust housing? If so, I would HIGHLY recommend a twin scroll housing. I'm running an EFR7064 w/a 1.04AR T4 twin scroll exhaust housing. That turbo is slightly larger than yours (70mm vs. 64mm) and I'm spooling closer to 4K rpm. I also usually see some positive boost pressure as early as 3K rpm. While twin scroll tends to give up a little on the top end compared to an open scroll, they excel everywhere else. Especially in the area before the turbo spools up.

ludi

float_6969 wrote:
Mon Jan 18, 2021 8:54 am
Is that a single scroll exhaust housing? If so, I would HIGHLY recommend a twin scroll housing. I'm running an EFR7064 w/a 1.04AR T4 twin scroll exhaust housing. That turbo is slightly larger than yours (70mm vs. 64mm) and I'm spooling closer to 4K rpm. I also usually see some positive boost pressure as early as 3K rpm. While twin scroll tends to give up a little on the top end compared to an open scroll, they excel everywhere else. Especially in the area before the turbo spools up.
Hi, Thanks for your advice but I am not a fan of the EFR series. It will be more like a G25 or G30 from Garrett, with Vband and external wastegate. :)

The car now has water methanol injection, which was really a very good investment. Exhaust gas temperature has dropped significantly and we were able to optimize the ignition well.

I've put together another little video of the current performance:

Best Regards, ludi

PapaSmurf2k3
Site Admin

Noice.
I've wanted to do some water/meth for quite a while now but have never bitten the bullet. I even have an old SNOW system that a buddy gave me like 15 years ago.

ludi

PapaSmurf2k3 wrote:
Tue Oct 26, 2021 7:55 am
Noice.
I've wanted to do some water/meth for quite a while now but have never bitten the bullet. I even have an old SNOW system that a buddy gave me like 15 years ago.
Thank you! :) Remap is necessary to use all the features of WMI. Otherwise you will lose power due to rich AFR. You get most of the extra power from additional timing due knock safe fuel and cooler intake temp.

Best Regards, ludi

float_6969

I commented on your video on YT! Didn't realize it was the same person. Anyway, looks great!

ludi

float_6969 wrote:
Wed Oct 27, 2021 5:46 am
I commented on your video on YT! Didn't realize it was the same person. Anyway, looks great!
Yes, I have then also noticed when I watched your videos! (S14 with CA18DET :dblthumb: ) Thanks for the nice comment again here! :) Glad you like the video and the car.

Best Regards, ludi

ludi

The season is over and off we go with the first revisions:

The air filter box should fit into the engine compartment again. And off we went ...

Here you can see well, what was made as an emergency solution and so then just under 10years but was left. The pipe does not go in the exact direction and the temporary friction protection between the two pipes. This should now be different ...

Here you can see well why the OEM air filter box does not fit so easily. It is located at the outlet for the RZV.

View from above. No possibility to mount the air filter box properly ... For an open air filter is just enough.

https://i.ibb.co/T4Vs6hN/IMG-20211106-133223.jpg

Two cuts later and a fitting intermediate pipe it now looks quite suitable.

Thanks to a good friend, the pipe could also be hoped together again quickly. :thumbup: Only at the end everything is then welded properly, if everything fits well.

Fits now also very well past the air filter box. :yeah:

Next step now is to order some stuff after all. I will redo all old silicone hoses and renew all clamps. Furthermore, I'm thinking about maybe converting back to an open blowoff because the space is just extremely tight. I will take a closer look at it though. Next I will optimize the air filter box as far as possible. To do this, I will look to see if a larger opening from the air filter box to the turbocharger is possible and if so, how much that would be. I will also try to optimize the air supply - the 3D printer will be used again. Let's see what I can come up with. :) When that's done, a new intake manifold will be built from the air filter box to the turbo. Then it should all look pretty original again. :)

First idea:

Been with me a bit longer, but didn't get to use them yet: a set of Crimson Racing Sparco NS-II Python in 8x17 ET32 and 9x17 ET38, freshly made for me by a buddy. Now the tires are here too - used set of Federal RSR in 225/45 R17 and 255/40 R17.

Best Regards, ludi

float_6969

Love the look of the stock airbox and those wheels are BEAUTIFUL!

ludi

float_6969 wrote:
Tue Nov 09, 2021 9:03 am
Love the look of the stock airbox and those wheels are BEAUTIFUL!
Thank you very much, I also like the look. :) I hope the original air filter box will not be restrictive. Yeah, I think the rims are really nice too - let's see how they look bolted on the car. :)

Best Regards, ludi

float_6969

Stock air boxes are rarely restrictive, so I'd be surprised if it was an issue!

ludi

float_6969 wrote:
Wed Nov 10, 2021 6:50 am
Stock air boxes are rarely restrictive, so I'd be surprised if it was an issue!
You're right about that! Anyway, I'm happy about the inconspicuous look and the refresh of all the piping. It was time! :)

Best Regards, ludi

ludi

some little updates... The list for the parts I want / need to order is so far ready and now I hope for Black Friday to save a few bucks. :)

I made a few adjustments to the design for the (hopefully) optimized intake for the OEM air filter box. This was followed by a glue flange and some installation space technical adjustments.

This is how the finished test print from PLA looks now - I'm happy so far. :)

Now refurbish the corresponding opening in the air filter box. For this I treated myself to set from Dremel, which was really excellent for this.

I tried to install the air filter box as if everything was already glued. It has worked so far quite well - I hope that proves true when it is glued ready. monkey_eye

I think the are is maxed out. I already wanted to have a light funnel and at the narrowest point I now have twice the cross section to the OEM solution, but still have a similar flow pattern as OEM. Let's see how that works in practice then.

Material for the flange to the aluminum piping to the air filter box and for the screw points on the piping has also arrived, so I can give that to a buddy next week. :)

Best regards

Return to “240sx General Discussion”