LS2 Truck coil swap

Discuss the RB20, RB25 and RB26 series engines.
ItzGenX
Car: Smoke Purple 95' S14.5. Powered by the "Iron Man".

I finally got back to working on my project yesterday, and I decided to tackle the coils. I decided to mount mine directly on the spark plugs. All you need are coil boots from a Toyota Supra, and they should come with coil contact springs as well. Push the springs into the LS coil, then the boots (mine are LS7 vette coils). They push down pretty snug on top of the plugs and stand upright by themselves. A bracket to prevent them from popping up will be required. I made a simple set of brackets out of sheet metal to keep them down. Next on the to-do list is wiring.

Some photos:

Yellow4g63
Car: 95 RB20 240, 91 NX2000 VE power, 95 Stock 240sx

you will enjoy them!

meet07
Car: 89 180sx rb25det

how are you guys checking your ignition timing? And what kind of timing light are you using?

Yellow4g63
Car: 95 RB20 240, 91 NX2000 VE power, 95 Stock 240sx

I have a old digital snap on timing light. Then I lock timing in the AEM to 15 then set it to 15 :).

omnigear

does it clear the cover with the wires hooked up?
ItzGenX wrote:I finally got back to working on my project yesterday, and I decided to tackle the coils. I decided to mount mine directly on the spark plugs. All you need are coil boots from a Toyota Supra, and they should come with coil contact springs as well. Push the springs into the LS coil, then the boots (mine are LS7 vette coils). They push down pretty snug on top of the plugs and stand upright by themselves. A bracket to prevent them from popping up will be required. I made a simple set of brackets out of sheet metal to keep them down. Next on the to-do list is wiring.

Some photos:

outlaw7
Car: 78 zed

^I did the same swap using the ls2 LQ9 coils bolts in like factory. I used Mojo performance brackets. They clear the rb26 coil cover but im not so sure about other rb covers.

omnigear

I dont have the LQ9 I have what ItzGenX is using which I think is taller than the LQ9
outlaw7 wrote:^I did the same swap using the ls2 LQ9 coils bolts in like factory. I used Mojo performance brackets. They clear the rb26 coil cover but im not so sure about other rb covers.

ItzGenX

omnigear wrote:does it clear the cover with the wires hooked up?
ItzGenX wrote:I finally got back to working on my project yesterday, and I decided to tackle the coils. I decided to mount mine directly on the spark plugs. All you need are coil boots from a Toyota Supra, and they should come with coil contact springs as well. Push the springs into the LS coil, then the boots (mine are LS7 vette coils). They push down pretty snug on top of the plugs and stand upright by themselves. A bracket to prevent them from popping up will be required. I made a simple set of brackets out of sheet metal to keep them down. Next on the to-do list is wiring.

Some photos:

I had to cut out a small section of the rear ignitor indention to clear the #6 coil harness plug. It still looks fine to me since wires and crap pop out there regardless of the cutout, and the wires passing through seem to cover up the hole nicely.

My timing is checked by using a spare coil (these things are sold in packs of 8). The spare coil has a 6" spark plug wire and boot on it that I made. All I do is unbolt #1 coil from the bracket and pull it out, insert the spark plug wire from the spare coil, and plug in the harness connector to it. I hook the timing light to the small section of spark plug wire. Once the timing is set, I just toss the spare coil back into my toolbox. You can see me zeroing my ignition timing before tidying all the wires etc up in the video below.

PS. I love these coils. No misses while running a huge gap for better low end response. They were also super cheap to boot.

https://youtu.be/51jvdCM89kg

omnigear

Happen to know the part number for the 3 pin connector for the harness? I rather not cut n splice the one I have on it now.

I had to cut out a small section of the rear ignitor indention to clear the #6 coil harness plug. It still looks fine to me since wires and crap pop out there regardless of the cutout, and the wires passing through seem to cover up the hole nicely.

My timing is checked by using a spare coil (these things are sold in packs of 8). The spare coil has a 6" spark plug wire and boot on it that I made. All I do is unbolt #1 coil from the bracket and pull it out, insert the spark plug wire from the spare coil, and plug in the harness connector to it. I hook the timing light to the small section of spark plug wire. Once the timing is set, I just toss the spare coil back into my toolbox. You can see me zeroing my ignition timing before tidying all the wires etc up in the video below.

PS. I love these coils. No misses while running a huge gap for better low end response. They were also super cheap to boot.

https://youtu.be/51jvdCM89kg

ItzGenX

I made my own harness from the igniter harness all the way to the coils since the igniter gets ditched anyway. I basically bought a 8 pin delphi weatherpak connector for the igniter side of things and ran all new wires for each coil to the new coil connectors. It is made as a small sub-harness and works nicely for quickly disconnecting for whatever reasons such as when pulling the motor. The dated stock connectors were cracked and probably not very sealed anymore anyway.

omnigear

can you make more brackets , i need one >_<
ItzGenX wrote:I made my own harness from the igniter harness all the way to the coils since the igniter gets ditched anyway. I basically bought a 8 pin delphi weatherpak connector for the igniter side of things and ran all new wires for each coil to the new coil connectors. It is made as a small sub-harness and works nicely for quickly disconnecting for whatever reasons such as when pulling the motor. The dated stock connectors were cracked and probably not very sealed anymore anyway.

Return to “RB20DET / RB25DET / RB26DETT Forum”