Loud screeching from the bottom of the engine bay

Forum for Infiniti M35 and M45, and Nissan Fuga owners.
Austin06_M45S

Loud screeching from the bottom of the engine bay

Postby Austin06_M45S » Tue May 12, 2020 5:05 pm

I wonder if anyone saw these symptoms.

I have a 2006 Infiniti M45 Sport that I got used back in 2009 with 47k on it and it broke down at 214k in March 2017.

It has been maintained at the same shop for most of the time I had it. Last time they saw the car when they installed new catalytic converters on it in November 2016 (they also religiously changed oil in it, knowing that VK45DE burns it at a good rate).
4 months later the car broke down. Since during 2016 I spent around $5k on it I did not want to tow it back to pour more money into it at that time. Now I do want to figure out if the engine is toast or something else might be the problem like an accessory belt or some pulley.

So back in March 2017, when driving back from work, literally 3 minutes away from my house, maybe at 40mph a LOUD screeching noise starting coming from (what it seemed) lower left side of the engine bay.
I thought something went wrong with the front left wheel.
I also smelled burning rubber or plastic from friction (it did not smell like oil to me).

I pulled it into the garage but the screeching and smell did not stop at idle.
The oil temperature was normal.

I started the car another two times and same horrible screeching with the smell of hot rubber/plastic.
It was not drivible. Considering it had 214k miles on it and I just dumped $2.5k on catalytic converters on it 4 months before this happened, I got a new car and this one has been sitting in the garage since March 2017.

Can someone suggest how I can find out if the engine itself is toast without towing the car to a mechanic ?

One simple suggestion I got was to take off the accessory belt and start the engine. If the noise is still there - the engine is toast. (I figure the engine will overheat very fast).
The dipstick shows oil level between the MIN and MAX dots. The coolant is at MAX.

Has anyone experienced anything similar ?
I listened to a few videos with screeching pulleys, there are nowhere close to the horrible screeching I heard.
Also, something leaked under the left side of the engine bay. I cannot say what exactly after so much time, looks like oil by color.

I'm attaching a few photos.
Thank you for your suggestions if any.
IMG_0060.JPG
dip stick
IMG_0024.JPG
under left side
IMG_0022.JPG
underneath
IMG_0043.JPG[/attachment attachment=3]IMG_0078.JPG
IMG_0074.JPG
left side of engine
IMG_0082.JPG
pulleys, something leaked on the bottom
IMG_0084.JPG
alternator
Attachments
IMG_0078.JPG
accessory belt
IMG_0043.JPG
coolant level

Ilya
Car: 2011 M56x but I spend a lot of time on my 2015 Kawasaki Vulcan S. Former owner of a 2007 M35x. Also take care of my wife's 2016 QX60.

Re: Loud screeching from the bottom of the engine bay

Postby Ilya » Tue May 12, 2020 6:18 pm

I would agree...remove the belt and see what happens.

DenisMcG
Car: 2009 Infiniti FX50

Postby DenisMcG » Wed May 13, 2020 3:39 am

There should be no need to start the engine with the belt removed. Just take the belt off and spin the idler and tensioner pulleys by hand. You will feel if one is bad. The burning smell is likely the belt rubbing across the pulley that has a bad bearing. If you find one of these pulleys to be bad, make sure you get a new belt as well.

Austin06_M45S

Postby Austin06_M45S » Thu May 14, 2020 3:41 pm

Thank you. I do need to check if it's the accessory belt or pulleys so I'll run it before getting the parts.

Return to “Infiniti M35 and M45 Forum”