Losing faith and hope...feeling trapped

A Q45 forum / Cima forum for the President of Infiniti's lineup. Brought to you by Infiniti Parts USA, your OEM source for Q45 parts!
98_Q45

I’m sure I’m probably going to get slammed for this, but just when I thought the Q was running perfectly and only needed a couple suspension parts, things have once again taken a turn for surprise. And it’s got me livid.

Over the past week, after doing a drive about 250 miles away...my airbag light suddenly came back Blinking on again (Had it cleared by dealer last year) and the hard starting issue that I traced to the PCV valve is now back, despite it starting up beautifully for the past couple weeks. Did an oil change again, ran some fuel cleaner, rechecked the PCV valves. Hoping it goes away after some driving. But seems to keep coming back every couple thousand miles as the oil gets dirtier and a couple tanks of gas (I will admit I do clock a lot of miles on the highway each month).

And on top of that, trying to chase down mechanics to fix simple things has turned into a hassle in of itself. I was hoping to be doing a trip this weekend, and now it’s canceled because I been trying since Thursday to get a mechanic to install some bushings, and all are booked. And only reason I waited is because I had ordered all the parts that aren’t really in stock. Even the dealer today stood me up, saying the lead mechanic wasn’t in...and the person on duty isn’t qualified to do such work. Terrible.

I know the solution is, “get a new car”. But I’m f***. My credit just isn’t to where I am can just walk into a dealer and get approved. Used car lots often want the whole payment. And not having a car is worse than a headache car, but I don’t mind it long as the same issues don’t keep coming back again and again. Not to mention, my air conditioning was blowing perfect the past couple months, went in the other day and it was lukewarm. Sounds like evaporator may be going kaput, but I have a spare that I thought was leaking which was likely attributed to a clog.

Not to mention, my 97 Maxima is on borrowed time. Parents have been driving it into the ground. It needs so much suspension/exhaust work that I’ve basically turned a blind eye. But the engine and transmission is solid except for a miss in one of the cylinders.

I feel used cars can be nothing short of a nightmare when things can’t get right...I just don’t know what to do. I’m just at the point of not wanting to fix anything else, and just letting it ride til I have the will to want to deal with it. Anyone with similar experiences, talk to me. I’ll try not to be upset lol

AZhitman
Administrator
Car: 58 L210, 63 Bluebird RHD, 64 NL320, 65 SPL310, 66 411 RHD, 67 WRL411, 68 510 SR20, 75 280Z RB25, 77 620 SR20, 79 B310, 90 S13, 92 SE-R, 92 Silvia Qs, 98 S14.

Man, we've all been there I think.

Here's my quick-and-dirty: A classic Q (yep, she's a classic) isn't a DD, unfortunately. They're finicky and difficult.

Take a break and regroup.

My next advice won't be what you want to hear, but it's solid and you'll thank me later: Go find you a 2003-2008 Corolla or Camry with under 150k miles. Bulletproof, reliable, and simple to fix, and great DD transportation. Not glamorous, not cool, and not stylish, but fantastic A-to-B cars.

You've been here long enough to know I've got a cool car collection and more cars than I deserve, more than I can drive.

Know what my DD beater is? A raggedy-a$$ 04 Corolla with a missing rear bumper, tons of dents, 290k miles, and it looks like it was pulled out of a junkyard. BUT, it always starts, parts are CHEAP, a drunk monkey could repair it with basic tools, and the AC works. I paid $1k for it 6 years ago, it's been through 2 kids, I've loaned it to friends, and IDGAF if someone hits it. It's cheap to fix, insure, and fuel, and I wouldn't sell it for $3k. No payments, no worries, no drama. If and when it finally dies, I'll donate it and find another one.

My daughters both drive an 04 Camry, and same deal - Cheap, reliable, and efficient. That should be your goal as well.

Good luck brother.

98_Q45

AZhitman wrote:
Sat Sep 05, 2020 9:58 pm
Man, we've all been there I think.

Here's my quick-and-dirty: A classic Q (yep, she's a classic) isn't a DD, unfortunately. They're finicky and difficult.

Take a break and regroup.

My next advice won't be what you want to hear, but it's solid and you'll thank me later: Go find you a 2003-2008 Corolla or Camry with under 150k miles. Bulletproof, reliable, and simple to fix, and great DD transportation. Not glamorous, not cool, and not stylish, but fantastic A-to-B cars.

You've been here long enough to know I've got a cool car collection and more cars than I deserve, more than I can drive.

Know what my DD beater is? A raggedy-a$$ 04 Corolla with a missing rear bumper, tons of dents, 290k miles, and it looks like it was pulled out of a junkyard. BUT, it always starts, parts are CHEAP, a drunk monkey could repair it with basic tools, and the AC works. I paid $1k for it 6 years ago, it's been through 2 kids, I've loaned it to friends, and IDGAF if someone hits it. It's cheap to fix, insure, and fuel, and I wouldn't sell it for $3k. No payments, no worries, no drama. If and when it finally dies, I'll donate it and find another one.

My daughters both drive an 04 Camry, and same deal - Cheap, reliable, and efficient. That should be your goal as well.

Good luck brother.
Solid advice there, I don't like cloth seats but I'll receive it lol. I actually used to have a 96 Camry. Unfortunately it was previously neglected and came with its fair share of issues from the 1st week I had it. However, like most of my cars I "trained" it for highway driving and did a couple cross country trips. Thing I hated the most was the timing belt/water pump. Went out twice. Each time is $500. Similar to the Qs starter: The hardest thing to fix on this car, and I've had it happen twice THIS YEAR lol. But my fault not buying Denso the first time.

But that was actually my 2nd car (87 Buick century my first). I guess the reason I'm so irritated is because my other car, the 97 Maxima which is very similar (shares same spark plugs, oil filter, fuel filter, etc) has clocked in 390,000 miles, and the only things ever to leave me stranded were the 2 alternators and 2 radiators I've replaced. But it has it has had it's fair share of annoying problems though (motor mounts, rack and pinion vibration, cranking issues, alignment woes). But it seems like once I got something fixed, it didn't come back. The Q seems to have the same problems over and over, and it'll happen out of NOWHERE. Like no warning. Well, maybe a little warning...But not much lol.

As an update: I'm feeling a little better today. Was able to temporarily get the a/c cold again, only needed 6 ounces of R134 to get back up to 35-40 PSI. Only cost me $5 because I have the gauges already and know how to not overfill the system m Must be a small leak somewhere, but at-least it's not a clog like before. It's been 2 months since vac/recharge, so I don't mind adding a couple ounces once a month til it starts getting cold next month. Labor day weekend was in the 90s, and it held up well.

The starting issue, i was able to also cure that for now by adding seafoam to oil and just gave it a hard a** Italian tune up doing 90-110 mph for about 5 miles. Now it's back to starting up the second I turn the key. It's leading me to believe it has to do with something getting gummed up, but I can't figure it out. I might just buy Napa pcv valve instead of the oreiley one's I have. The previous Napa ones I installed went a good 60K before giving me trouble. But it took a long time to realize what was causing it. Once I changed it last month, engine cranked over nice each time, but it's not even been 5,000 miles and the problem came back. Then I'd change the oil, and it would fix it. I've been on 1,500 mile oil change intervals all summer, but it's leading me to believe it's not that. Gotta be spark plugs getting carbonized, but those have been changed also.

But anyhow...Idk if I can go back to a 4 cyl car again (I don't feel safe lol), but maybe an American truck like everybody in my town drives could be a possibility. I've been eyeing Lincoln navigators and the discontinued Mercury Mariners aka Ford escape (future money pit lol).

I just wish NEW cars were more accessible. The dealers lie and say they'll approve anybody and take any trade. I went to trade my Q for a Nissan pathfinder couple months ago, they wanted to check my credit, and tried to put me in a base Chevy Malibu and put $2,000 down. Yet they don't think a $49,900 car can easily sell for 3-5K if they give it a fresh paint job. I was hoping to use it as a down payment. They didn't want to deal.

MowgliCSM
Car: 99 Q45t, 07 S550, 89 Mitsu Mirage Turbo.

I don't even know where to begin. A lot of advice has been given your way on here and in my opinion you only post here to validate your own beliefs. I hope you will accept some good advice and make a change to put yourself in a better position. I know it feels good to go with your heart on things, but to be pragmatic you need to follow what your brain says. A Q45, especially now being of this vintage, is a great and interesting second car or project. As far as a daily driver, it's not a great idea unless it has been meticulously maintained through it's whole life or you have money to throw at it. There is a reason I gave my Q a break and changed my daily to a newer Benz S550. The northeast has taken a toll on it over the 14 years I have been driving it and the underside is a bit of a mess. So now it's off the road while I go through everything. It won't be cheap but it is what it is. I love this car and I have the ability and money to make it right. From all of your postings, I think sensibility needs to reign here and maybe do what you can to get into something reliable and then later down the road, when in a more comfortable position, revisit Q ownership.

Ludeaem
Car: 2000 Infiniti Q45 AE

It almost sounds like you're a masochist. As everyone has stated these cars really shouldn't be daily'd as part availablity is tough enough. Doubly for you, since you do not wrench yourself. Mine is a 2nd car so it can be down for weeks, even months at a time if need be. As others have stated, either sell this car for what you can OR buy a Camry or Accord for 3-5k and deligate this to a 2nd project car.

BCC93QT
Car: 1990 Infiniti Q45
1995 Infiniti Q45

The fgy33 are so cheap with quote a bit of them available right now. I lucked out with my current 2 G50s... payed next to nothing for each and they are mechanically and cosmetically sound... unless something terrible happens they will last another decade. Your biggest problem is your stubbornness to not work on it yourself. No no we dont want to hear "I dont know how". You didnt know how to walk but you sure do now. When I had my first Q I was in the same boat... but just said the hell with it and attempted to all the work myself. Unless you learn to use your two hands.... or figure out a way to make good money. Dont plan on having a vehicle other than a regular old everyday econobox or something BORING.

dnudelman
Car: 1994 Q45 Silver/Grey

Your Car Toys should never be your daily driver.

BCC93QT
Car: 1990 Infiniti Q45
1995 Infiniti Q45

dnudelman wrote:
Thu Sep 10, 2020 7:33 pm
Your Car Toys should never be your daily driver.
That all depends on how many toys you have.

Return to “Q45 Forum / Cima Forum”