Loose clamp question

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
digimon
Posts: 9
Joined: Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:14 pm
Car: Nissan Rogue 2012 SV

Loose clamp question

Postby digimon » Thu Sep 22, 2022 10:45 am

Hello,
I noticed jingling when I started the car and found something that looks like a loose duct clamp on the exhaust pipe.
Any ideas what this clamp is for and how to fix?

Thanks!
Attachments
Inkedrogue.jpg


User avatar
VStar650CL
Posts: 5373
Joined: Thu Nov 12, 2020 1:25 pm
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

Re: Loose clamp question

Postby VStar650CL » Thu Sep 22, 2022 11:03 am

That isn't OE, but we often use stainless band clamps like those to silence noises from broken tack welds on the OE heat shields. I'd give the exhaust system an eyeball, chances are you'll find something loose which that clamp was holding down.

digimon
Posts: 9
Joined: Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:14 pm
Car: Nissan Rogue 2012 SV

Re: Loose clamp question

Postby digimon » Thu Sep 22, 2022 11:19 am

VStar650CL wrote:
Thu Sep 22, 2022 11:03 am
That isn't OE, but we often use stainless band clamps like those to silence noises from broken tack welds on the OE heat shields. I'd give the exhaust system an eyeball, chances are you'll find something loose which that clamp was holding down.
Could be holding the heat shield in place?
Will something else go bad because of a missing heat shield?

Thanks!

User avatar
VStar650CL
Posts: 5373
Joined: Thu Nov 12, 2020 1:25 pm
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

Re: Loose clamp question

Postby VStar650CL » Thu Sep 22, 2022 11:37 am

No, but the shields that are tack-welded to the pipe can make some of the most irritating bumblebee and tincan noises imaginable. If that clamp was applied to remedy a broken weld, you should probably locate the spot and tighten it back up.

digimon
Posts: 9
Joined: Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:14 pm
Car: Nissan Rogue 2012 SV

Re: Loose clamp question

Postby digimon » Thu Sep 22, 2022 12:08 pm

VStar650CL wrote:
Thu Sep 22, 2022 11:37 am
No, but the shields that are tack-welded to the pipe can make some of the most irritating bumblebee and tincan noises imaginable. If that clamp was applied to remedy a broken weld, you should probably locate the spot and tighten it back up.
I will see what I can do, but it is possible that the heat shield is long gone...

itsa300zx
Posts: 1190
Joined: Sun May 31, 2009 9:39 am
Car: 1990 300zx NA W/TT swap
2011 Nissan Rouge S
2008 Highlander SR5
Location: up North, Edm. AB

Re: Loose clamp question

Postby itsa300zx » Thu Sep 22, 2022 1:56 pm

No one on the internet is going to be able to tell you that with the picture you posted. But I guess its possible.
Get under there and look yourself or take a picture while under there for us to look at. Then we can comment.

digimon
Posts: 9
Joined: Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:14 pm
Car: Nissan Rogue 2012 SV

Re: Loose clamp question

Postby digimon » Fri Sep 23, 2022 5:54 am

itsa300zx wrote:
Thu Sep 22, 2022 1:56 pm
No one on the internet is going to be able to tell you that with the picture you posted. But I guess its possible.
Get under there and look yourself or take a picture while under there for us to look at. Then we can comment.
I attached another picture.
Hope this helps.
Attachments
rogue2.jpg

User avatar
VStar650CL
Posts: 5373
Joined: Thu Nov 12, 2020 1:25 pm
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

Re: Loose clamp question

Postby VStar650CL » Fri Sep 23, 2022 6:06 am

There are no shields on that section of pipe, but there is supposed to be an intermediate rubber hanger in between where the clamp is and the main muffer at the rear. Maybe somebody tried to use the clamp as a kluge substitute for the hanger?

12 Rogue Exhaust.jpg

digimon
Posts: 9
Joined: Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:14 pm
Car: Nissan Rogue 2012 SV

Re: Loose clamp question

Postby digimon » Fri Sep 23, 2022 7:27 am

VStar650CL wrote:
Fri Sep 23, 2022 6:06 am
There are no shields on that section of pipe, but there is supposed to be an intermediate rubber hanger in between where the clamp is and the main muffer at the rear. Maybe somebody tried to use the clamp as a kluge substitute for the hanger?
I found a youtube video that shows the exact same duct clamp at the same location, that makes me think that this can actually be a factory installed part (see attached picture)?
Attachments
rogue4.PNG

User avatar
VStar650CL
Posts: 5373
Joined: Thu Nov 12, 2020 1:25 pm
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

Re: Loose clamp question

Postby VStar650CL » Fri Sep 23, 2022 8:21 am

That's a rusty heat shield being clamped to the pipe. Weird, the parts drawings usually show the shields when present, but I guess it has one there after all. Anyway, that's a repair, it is not OE. Nissan doesn't use that style of band clamp for anything except intake boots.

digimon
Posts: 9
Joined: Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:14 pm
Car: Nissan Rogue 2012 SV

Re: Loose clamp question

Postby digimon » Fri Sep 23, 2022 9:07 am

VStar650CL wrote:
Fri Sep 23, 2022 8:21 am
That's a rusty heat shield being clamped to the pipe. Weird, the parts drawings usually show the shields when present, but I guess it has one there after all. Anyway, that's a repair, it is not OE. Nissan doesn't use that style of band clamp for anything except intake boots.
Thank you for your response.
So, a duct clamp appears on more than one car to hold a heat shield, that is not supposed to be there per Nissan drawings...
I wonder what else Nissan left out of drawings :)

User avatar
VStar650CL
Posts: 5373
Joined: Thu Nov 12, 2020 1:25 pm
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

Re: Loose clamp question

Postby VStar650CL » Fri Sep 23, 2022 10:04 am

Everybody uses band clamps to fix busted tack welds on heat shields, and busted tack welds are almost inevitable on anything more than about 8 years old. There's nothing unusual about that. The wife's '13 Altie has two of them on the flex pipe shields, along with probably 75% of the older Nissans on the road.

itsa300zx
Posts: 1190
Joined: Sun May 31, 2009 9:39 am
Car: 1990 300zx NA W/TT swap
2011 Nissan Rouge S
2008 Highlander SR5
Location: up North, Edm. AB

Re: Loose clamp question

Postby itsa300zx » Fri Sep 23, 2022 11:54 am

I used the same fix for my rattles in my 2011 Rogue.

digimon
Posts: 9
Joined: Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:14 pm
Car: Nissan Rogue 2012 SV

Re: Loose clamp question

Postby digimon » Fri Sep 23, 2022 1:25 pm

VStar650CL wrote:
Fri Sep 23, 2022 10:04 am
Everybody uses band clamps to fix busted tack welds on heat shields, and busted tack welds are almost inevitable on anything more than about 8 years old. There's nothing unusual about that. The wife's '13 Altie has two of them on the flex pipe shields, along with probably 75% of the older Nissans on the road.
I understand, but I own this car since its birth, and I don't think a service technician would add a clamp without telling me about that.
It is possible, of course, that I was told, but forgot about it.

Thanks everyone for chiming in.

User avatar
VStar650CL
Posts: 5373
Joined: Thu Nov 12, 2020 1:25 pm
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

Re: Loose clamp question

Postby VStar650CL » Fri Sep 23, 2022 2:27 pm

digimon wrote:
Fri Sep 23, 2022 1:25 pm
I don't think a service technician would add a clamp without telling me about that.
If that's what you think, please read this Nissan bulletin and check out what the "fix" is. Mind you, this is recommended by Nissan. Your repair order would read something like, "Performed repair per bulletin NTB14-018," with no mention of a clamp except as a part number (if it was warranty) or a shop expense:
https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2014/ ... 5-9999.pdf


Return to “Rogue Forum”