Logitech G900: new Favorite Mouse Ever

Forum dedicated to computer hardware and software, mobile phones and electronic gadgets.
MinisterofDOOM
Car: 1962 Corvair Monza
1961 Corvair Lakewood
1997 Pathfinder XE
2005 Lincoln LS8
Former:
1995 Q45t
1993 Maxima GXE
1995 Ranger XL 2.3
1984 Coupe DeVille

I've owned a few top-tier Logitech gaming mice, and liked a lot of them. It seems like periodically they release a flagship that's fantastic and sets a new standard, and then everything between those releases is a bit more "meh." The MX518 was phenomenal and is still (over 10 years later) preferred by many gamers. The G9 has a similar reputation. There have been a few recent high-end Logi mice like the G502 and G602, but they've been missing...something. I bought a G602 and while I don't dislike it, I find the extra thumb buttons generally not-useful, primarily due to wonky OS-support (and thus native game support) for those extra thumb buttons.

I was leery of the G602 for its wirelessness, and while I don't dislike it, I don't really like it much either. It does its job with some less than desirable quirks. I really dislike the use of AA batteries compared to the built-in rechargeables in my wireless workstation mice (one of which is another superb Logitech offering, the MX Master). And its ergonomics are a bit weird. It also doesn't have tilt-wheel for some reason.
But the G900 caught my attention by proving better response times than WIRED mice. Logi's new transceiver was designed to outdo other top-end wired mice without wires. BUT the G900 also has a true wired mode (when charging, it connects via USB as a traditional wired mouse) which allows those still not sure about wireless to bypass that possible drawback. So there was really no risk.

I'm happy to say that the G900 is the G9 successor I've been looking for. I've been using it for a few weeks in both wired and wireless modes, and I honestly cannot tell a difference. And much of my use has been in the new DOOM, which is the fastest-paced game I've played in ages, where any latency or hiccups in wireless would be immediately noticeable.

I'd say the G900 is not just the best gaming mouse I've used, it's the best all-around mouse I've ever used. Yes, I'd prefer my MX Master with its thumb scroll wheel for productivity purposes, but if I had to pick a mouse for everything, I'd take the G900 over the MX Master every time.

So let's dive into the mouse's specs. This thing is way overengineered--as one would rightly expect for 150 freaking dollars.

It's a very, very lightweight wireless mouse. Logitech has compensated for the added weight of the battery by shedding weight everywhere else. It's like the McLaren P1 of mice. Yeah, it's partly electric, but it weighs less than most traditional mice. The scroll wheel is spoked, to save weight. That's how Lotus Logitech has gone with this mouse.

It's ambidextrous but very very comfortable. It also has swappable thumb buttons to support that dual-handedness. You can use none, either side, or both sides of thumb buttons. And when using all 4, they aren't redundant, but count as separate buttons.

The two primary buttons are hinged. They're not simply flexing plastic. They have a high-end switch angled to work with the hinge position for a really clean, consistent click mechanic.

The scroll wheel has Logi's notchless "Hyperscroll" switched by a mechanical switch behind the wheel. This is something I find generally more useful in productivity applications rather than games (I use it a lot scrolling through code and spreadsheets at work) but is still very welcome on the G900.

It has multiple switchable DPI settings like all modern mice. The steps are individually configurable. The DPI switch buttons (which can be rebound if desired) are much better placed than other mice I've used. Out of the way but quick to reach. Far better than the weird inset-into-button-1 location on the G602.

It has a customizable RGB lighted logo on the back for people who like that kind of thing (i.e. not me). It can be configured to change color according to battery life, which is a nice non-blingy functional application for it.

It's superbly balanced. Pick the mouse up lightly between thumb and pinky (the way I hold the mouse generally) and it doesn't shift at all. Its light weight also makes it very easy to throw around and lift for recentering.

The optical sensor is dead center. Thanks, Logitech. Some of their older mice (including the otherwise-excellent G9!) had off-center sensors that would mess with fine rotational mouse inputs. I like to sort of rotate the mouse very slightly around my pinky knuckle which rests on the desk for precise up/down cursor movements. On mice with off-center sensors, this works weirdly (usually backward of expected) and I hate it.

It has lots of feet. Two extras around the sensor itself. This is good because the more foot surface, the smoother the glide AND the less you build up grime on each pad.

Charges last a while, even on more battery-intensive settings (bright RGB, high sampling rate, etc.) and recharges very quickly.

The charging cable is very flexible and is barely noticeable when present. I've plugged it in to charge many times and forgotten I wasn't using a wireless mouse.

Despite being very light for a wireless mouse, it feels very solid. It reminds me of my Nexus 6: Yes, it's plastic, but it's better assembled than many of its kin built from far more "premium" materials.

It looks kinda funky. Again, kind of Lotus or McLaren. Yeah, there's "styling" but it's mostly functionally-driven.

I like this thing.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I have to go Super Shotgun some CyberMancubi.

Return to “Computers / Electronics”