Lit Sleepy Eyes Write Up

General discussion forum about the 240sx, and a great place to introduce yourself to the board!
le_ryan
Car: Mazda 3 / 91 nissan S13 SR

night240 wrote:
....one more question where do you guys switches inorder to do the sleepy eyes.
Im gonna take an educated guess at the missing word here..

Question:....one more question where do you guys BUY switches inorder to do the sleepy eyes. Answer:Any autoparts store like Napa, Autozone, Advanced auto, Orielighs <--spell?Just check any auto parts store and ask for a 30amp toggle switch or button, they should have about 10-15 different style switches, pick one you like. 30amp is prolly over kill, but i like to be safe.

Is that what you were asking?

night240
Car: Nissan 95

vroom-chirp wrote:
Im gonna take an educated guess at the missing word here..

Question:....one more question where do you guys BUY switches inorder to do the sleepy eyes. Answer:Any autoparts store like Napa, Autozone, Advanced auto, Orielighs <--spell?Just check any auto parts store and ask for a 30amp toggle switch or button, they should have about 10-15 different style switches, pick one you like. 30amp is prolly over kill, but i like to be safe.

Is that what you were asking?
nope , i was asking if where do u put a flip switch inside of your to do sleepy eyes?

le_ryan

night240 wrote:
nope , i was asking if where do u put a flip switch inside of your to do sleepy eyes?
see the button behind the steering wheel.. thats where i put mine, you can put it where ever you want.

night240
Car: Nissan 95

vroom-chirp wrote:
see the button behind the steering wheel.. thats where i put mine, you can put it where ever you want.
oh icz now. how did you do that?

le_ryan

ok man, no more free beez, the post has all the aswers you questioning, not trying to be a jerk or nothin, but it would prolly help you alot if you reread the post.Ryan

tramp_drift240
Car: 1992 240sx SE Coupe

sweet, its a little late for me to be posting this now, but your writeup made this really easy to do.

i had originally found that video on google with the japanese guy explaining how to do it with the two toggle switches, but this way works much easier in my opinion.

and i put the toggle switch on the fuse cover, no one knows ive got an aftermarket switch, i like it.

good job on the write up man

le_ryan

Hey thanx tramp_drift, its always good to know i helped someone out in anyway i can.

JDMrida

Is it hard to get under the dash for switch like that?My headlights are weird... one side goes down faster than the other... Any way i can fix this?

le_ryan

JDMrida wrote:Is it hard to get under the dash for switch like that?My headlights are weird... one side goes down faster than the other... Any way i can fix this?
As for the location of the switch, that little area of fake buttons just pops right out, install the switch, tuck the wires, and pop it back in.

One way you may be able to fix it is to adjust the arm that swings the lids open, I sat on my passenger side with the sleepy eyes engaged, and it threw off my head lights. my passenger side would go down later than the other.Ill get pics of the arm if you need, but what you do is turn the lights on so that they both are open all the way,disconect the fuse for the head light control, then you use a 13mm wrench and lossen the bolt on the arm, once you can move the lid and arm, bring it up higher or down lower wich ever way it needs to go.Tighten it back up, reinstall the fuse, and try them out, if you still need to ajust it, do it again with the proper adjustment.

JDMrida

Can you post a pic of the bolt on that arm? I dont know which one you're talking about. Thank you

le_ryan

you cant see it in this photo but this gives you an idea of the dificulty involved, its not too hard, you'll get it, loosen it, but watch out it may alow the lid to fall, just get it loose enough to slightly adjust it up or down and tighten it back up when you get it where you want it. Dont worry if it falls, just open the lid back up to the open/on position and see how far off you are. you may have to manually lower the lid to get some clearance.

here you can actually see the bolt where the red string ends........dont forget to remove the fuse labled light control, or if you already have the Lit Sleepy Eye switch mod done, just flip your LSE switch off, effectivly disconectin the circut....One more thing to remember, If all this fails, It may mean your head light motor is old and is just slower than the other.hope this helps, let me know if you need something

crash n burn
Car: 91' le hatch, 93' UDSM silvia, 92' M30

love it..took me 20 minutes, longest part was figuring out where to put the switch, then cut the blank switch panel, awsome write up

sr20detRcr1
Car: 92 240sx

vroom-chirp wrote:When working on another mod, i used a "noid light" ( looks like a screwdriver with a light inside the handle.)Probe a few wires that arent in use, i used the O/D off indicator light wireing, since i had swaped over to 5spd, it was no longer in use, probe the wires and find the one that makes the noid light turn on and thats your power.Connect that to the "ground" on the switch, and tape off the other wire left, and it should work.Im not one thats too into electrical stuff but that seemed to work fine for me.Mabey if someone that knows, can confirm that this is ok to do, but like i said it worked fine for me.
great write up!! the led part is still confusing after reading that lol

hybrid_flyer
Car: 95 240sx SE wrecked....89 240 coupe now

love this thread its a great write up, and it works great. One thing you may want to warn people about is the fuse. If you dont use an inline fuse holder or cover the fuse and connections you run the risk of grounding it out on any bare metal. Just my .02

still a great write up, i like have day lamps, but dont like having them all the way up

Lost_In_Translation
Car: 1991 Nissan 240sx, stock with many problems.

I just did this trick yesterday but one light goes down faster than the other....Well I was pretty cheap so I decided to use an old back wiper switch I had, it fits perfectly in the overdrive switch space. just letting you know

nismo 03
Car: Nissan 240sx

just a question not tryinng to put any one down but is their any way the by doing this u could fry some wires????

le_ryan

only by grounding it out like stated above, just keep everything wraped in electrical tape, and follow the geeraly rule of electricity by not showing anywires.

nismo 03

i done f@$*ed it all up lol

i dont know what i did but i got off the phone with the guy thats fixing my car and he said i burned out a whole section of wire and it need to be replaced lol he said its only going to cost me $350 lol (with injector that the car needs)

le_ryan

damn dood, what the hell did you do ?! You must have not read it right or something

morbid
Car: alot of s***

great writeup thanks

nismo 03

nah i dont know all i know is that it blow out all the light wires and then some

350 isnt alot i just have to put my wheels on hold for a minute

Sil80315
Car: 1991 Nissan 240sx

Ok correct me if im wrong but I only read the first page about this write up and i must say its very well done but..why is everyone buying wires then cutting wires just to have lit sleey eyes when you can just unlug the motors and then turn the little red nob on top of the motor to the correct height and works perfect. unless i missed something that this does something else besides keep your lights in sleepy mode while they are lite.

nismo 03

Sil80315 wrote:Ok correct me if im wrong but I only read the first page about this write up and i must say its very well done but..why is everyone buying wires then cutting wires just to have lit sleey eyes when you can just unlug the motors and then turn the little red nob on top of the motor to the correct height and works perfect. unless i missed something that this does something else besides keep your lights in sleepy mode while they are lite.
cau
Sil80315 wrote:Ok correct me if im wrong but I only read the first page about this write up and i must say its very well done but..why is everyone buying wires then cutting wires just to have lit sleey eyes when you can just unlug the motors and then turn the little red nob on top of the motor to the correct height and works perfect. unless i missed something that this does something else besides keep your lights in sleepy mode while they are lite.
because u can bring them up at the flip of a swithc

Sil80315

ok so this write up tells you how you can hit a button and the lights will go right to desired height for sleepy eyes? then you can hit the button again and it goes full up?

hybrid_flyer

Sil80315 wrote:ok so this write up tells you how you can hit a button and the lights will go right to desired height for sleepy eyes? then you can hit the button again and it goes full up?
nope ya got it wrong...ok this is for people that already have sleepy eyes. now with the headlights in the sleepy eye position this allows the headlights to be on. then when you flip the switch the headlights go all the way up when they are on. pretty cool actually, now i have a headlight controller and the switch to turn them on lol

Sil80315

Do you still have to adjust the sleepy eyes every time you turn the secondary switch on and make thelights go all the way up? Im talking about setting the desired height of the lights, then hit a switch to open them back to full then hitting a switch to make them go back into the sleepy eye height i wanted? or do i have to repeat the whole "pushin and pulling out" of the button thing?

myS13wantsaVQ35
Car: 1990 240sx / 1997 2dr Tahoe

bad ***, thanks for the info

hybrid_flyer

Sil80315 wrote:Do you still have to adjust the sleepy eyes every time you turn the secondary switch on and make thelights go all the way up? Im talking about setting the desired height of the lights, then hit a switch to open them back to full then hitting a switch to make them go back into the sleepy eye height i wanted? or do i have to repeat the whole "pushin and pulling out" of the button thing?
well i take it you dont have a headlight controller so yes you will have to do that. if you have a controller like i do then no they go back to where they were. i admit the controller is expensive but i think it looks kinda lame when you sit there stuttering your headlights to the position you want, but thats just my .02

Lost_In_Translation
Car: 1991 Nissan 240sx, stock with many problems.

Here is a pic of the switch

Looks weird but it's because I sanded off the paint.

And here is the sleepy eyes mode

Btw I fixed the uneven headlight problem by adjusting the control arms...

hybrid_flyer

Lost_In_Translation wrote: Btw I fixed the uneven headlight problem by adjusting the control arms...
dam how did ya adjust the headlights my arms are pretty frozen??

Return to “240sx General Discussion”