Light Cornering = Grinding and Slip Light

The club for Nissan Maxima and Infiniti I30 / I35 owners, and the official home of Maxima Club of America!
ZGadson

Whether I'm turning into my driveway at 3mph or driving on the on-loop to to get on the highway while going 40mph, the inner front tire grabs the road and pulls the car into the corner while making a grinding sound (almost like the sound of ABS working). The traction/slip light comes on as well.

Anyone know what could be going on? Bad sensor? Bad slip computer? Could it possibly be the ABS coming on (even though the slip light comes on when it does its thing)?

Any input or answers are greatly appreciated. The dealer wants me to pay $115 just to run a diagnostic test on the car and that's not going to happen,

Sentientbydesign
Car: 03 Evo VIII - 330 AWHP
05 Subaru Legacy GT Stg 2 - Sold
05 G35 6MT Coupe - 278 WHP - Sold
04 WW Evo VIII - 302 AWHP - Ex's
96 I30 - Sold

You might want to update you cardomain profile. The 35 in I35 indicates you have a 3.5 L V6 not a 3.0 like you have listed. I looked at the HP rating and was kinda confused until I realized you have an I35 and not and I30.

As far as your problem. Did you go with factory sized tires or did you change sizes? If you went with staggered sizes, then you may be throwing your ABS and VDC (if you have that, not sure) off and causing the car to think you're slipping and going to crash.

Is your warranty up? If not, tell the dealership that they need to look into it for free under your warranty.

ZGadson

Warranty is gone, and I've gotten new tires since I've updated my cardomain page. The tires are the original size, and they're Continental Something or Others - excellent grip and handling in all weather.

Any other ideas?

(I also fix my cardomain page - thanks!)

Sentientbydesign
96 I30 - Sold

This is out of my realm of expertise. I can only guess that it's one of the speed sensors or the ABS is malfunctioning.

lightsout
Car: 00 Nismo Maxima SE

the speed sensors are easy to replace b/c they are located right behind the tire.

did u get it scanned?

McSteve
Car: 2001 Infiniti I30

Sentientbydesign wrote:You might want to update you cardomain profile. The 35 in I35 indicates you have a 3.5 L V6 not a 3.0 like you have listed.
Smarty pants! That's what I left him as a comment on his cardomain!

ZGadson

McSteve wrote:
Smarty pants! That's what I left him as a comment on his cardomain!
lol, I didn't even see that.

And no, I haven't gotten anything checked out yet. Like I said in my 1st post, the dealer wants $115 just to hook up their computer and scan for problems. Im trying to avoid the dealer if at all possible.

(Autozone's computer didn't find any problems or show any codes, but the tech there told me their diagnosis tool only covers about 20% of what the dealer's tool can look for. If there's no codes - and no service engine light - Autozone's diagnosis tool is useless.)

Sentientbydesign
96 I30 - Sold

Not sure if this will work, but you might try taking it to a Nissan dealer instead of an Infiniti one. When I had my I30, they were only going to charge me $90-$95 for the diagnostic.

ZGadson

Sentientbydesign wrote:Not sure if this will work, but you might try taking it to a Nissan dealer instead of an Infiniti one. When I had my I30, they were only going to charge me $90-$95 for the diagnostic.
That's still a good chunk of money for them to not even fix anything. There's not even any labor involved - a money could run a diagnostic test on the car.

Sentientbydesign
96 I30 - Sold

Try negotiating with them and see if they'll throw refund you the diagnostic if you do the service with them.

Otherwise you're just going to be driving around with a potentially unsafe vehicle.

lightsout
Car: 00 Nismo Maxima SE

AUTOZONE has another bigger(yellow) code reader besides the OBDII. I would recomend purchasing that one for i think a couple hundred bucks...then you can scan your computer all day if you wanted to.

Sentientbydesign
96 I30 - Sold

lightsout wrote:AUTOZONE has another bigger(yellow) code reader besides the OBDII. I would recomend purchasing that one for i think a couple hundred bucks...then you can scan your computer all day if you wanted to.

I don't think that will cut it. He needs a Consul II (SP?).

Rhyno
Car: 2002 I35

Interesting that I have the same problem with my '02 I35, only it is usually at a higher speed than 3mph (like 20+) and only seems to be while i am taking clovers (bearing right) and something like a tiny bump in the road or letting off the gas slightly causes the VDC to kick in and pull. If I take the same cloverleaf with the VDC off, I can do it at 50mph with no slipping or squealing tires.

I have changed tires, but that tiny of a change shouldn't throw things off that greatly, or you think that would be part of standard maintenance to re-calibrate with each rototion, tire pressure change, or new tire purchase. Besides, I've always used the same size spec tires on the original wheels.

I've heard of ABS systems kicking in because of debris or corrosion or a defective ABS sensor, and I know the VDC system works off this. I'm wondering if anyone else has ever tried cleaning these off and had any results (bad or good) after doing that or if I should just go about the stealership way to have them look into it?

Also, I was told that a low brake fluid level could cause the ABS/VDC to get all whacky. At one point my brake light would come on for no reason and I topped off my brake fluid and that fixed it. I'm wondering if a period of having low brake fluid might somehow have re-calibrated the system?

sfarace

Did anyone get this problem resolved? I'm having the same issue with my 04 coupe. It happens intermittently and only when I turn to the right (SLIP light comes on, grinding noise and feels like the car is braking) usually on a cloverleaf interchange ramp. It's happened at speeds of 30mph and higher. Also car seems to drift back in forth when going over 65 mph on the highway.... doesn't want to stay in straight line.

I've been to the dealer 3 times. First time they said my back tires were the wrong size. Replaced back tires, still happened. Second time I left the car at dealership for a mechanic to road test. He could not reproduce the problem. SLIP light never came on. NO computer code error. Third time I went on road test with mechanic. Still could not reproduce the problem with the Slip light, but he did feel the car drifting back and forth when going over 65 mph. He said the car was not driving right and that he needed to download the computer results. They called me the next day stating no errors detected and the car was fine since they could not reproduce the problem. I asked them to look into the problem further since I really don't feel safe driving the car. I was told to pick up the car and that I would have to file a claim with Infiniti corp office.

Any ideas on what is wrong?

ZGadson

sfarace wrote:I've been to the dealer 3 times. First time they said my back tires were the wrong size. Replaced back tires, still happened. Second time I left the car at dealership for a mechanic to road test. He could not reproduce the problem. SLIP light never came on. NO computer code error. Third time I went on road test with mechanic. Still could not reproduce the problem with the Slip light, but he did feel the car drifting back and forth when going over 65 mph. He said the car was not driving right and that he needed to download the computer results. They called me the next day stating no errors detected and the car was fine since they could not reproduce the problem. I asked them to look into the problem further since I really don't feel safe driving the car. I was told to pick up the car and that I would have to file a claim with Infiniti corp office.
Same thing happend to me with a different issue. The phrase "we couldn't recreate the problem" still pisses me off even a year after my dealer/warranty experience. Unfortunately it had to end with my lawyer friend calling the dealer and informing them that they were going to keep the car and drive it around the block every 5 minutes until they found a problem.

kram7211
Car: 2016 Nissan Quest SV
2002 Infiniti Q45

Looks like its been 12 years since anyone posted.....did anyone ever find the cause of this? It just happened to me recently. I tried taking some readings of the ABS module, but theyre not making sense to me. Wondering if anyone had the fix before I take it to Infiniti or Nissan.
Attachments
IMG_3852.jpg
IMG_3856.jpg
IMG_3849.jpg
IMG_3855.jpg
IMG_3853.jpg
IMG_3851.jpg

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

The ABS actuators usually make a noise between a grind and a burp when they're working individually, that may be what y'all are hearing. The most common cause of false actuations with no codes is the Steering Angle Sensor (SAS). When they go bad they often "false" faster than a scanner can catch, but the ABS catches it and thinks the car is suddenly yawing. It taps an actuator, sees there's no actual yaw, and the problem evaporates. The best way to see it is to stream actuator status for the wheel that seems to be the noise source, along with the SAS stream. You may or may not see anything on the SAS, with Consult3+ we have a utility that can zoom the graphs and catch stuff down to 10 milliseconds, but if you see the actuators working you can be pretty certain the ABS is responding to an invisible input that isn't a wheel sensor (even one missing reluctor tooth signal will trip a wheel sensor code).

kram7211
2002 Infiniti Q45

Thanks for the quick reply, I think you're right, a diagnostic with the Consult is in order. Same situation of false abs actuations with two different Steering Angle Sensors. Im using a Launch scanner and it has two options to test, ECU signals, and Main Signals. I'm showing a drop in the ABS C/U voltage when testing ECU Signals, but no drops or crazy wheel speeds when testing Main Signals. Not sure of the difference. When the voltage drops to 0, the system looks like it goes haywire - front left wheel speed of 158 mph, all other wheels at 0 mph, steering angle of 1280 deg (way past max), pressure sensor reading of -27000 bar (normal range is something like -40 to 300bar), engine rpm of over 7000 - all of which I know are not happening. I'll make an appointment with Infiniti tomorrow. Thank you.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

Check the ABS ground wire. All Nissan products have a dedicated wire that's just for the ABS, nothing else on it. Weird things happen 100% of the time if it gets loose or corroded.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

On the '16 Quest the ABS ground is E42, it's inside the cabin. Looks to be alone on the underside of the steering member. See page PG-104:
https://www.nicoclub.com/service-manual ... 6%2FPG.pdf

kram7211
2002 Infiniti Q45

The VDC/TCS/ABS control unit has 4 grounds. Checked all 4 for continuity and cleaned ground E67 just to make sure. My car is a 2002 Infiniti Q45 that im in the process of refurbishing.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2022-05-29 at 9.06.04 PM.png
Screen Shot 2022-05-29 at 9.02.52 PM.png

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

You don't have the Q listed on your sidebar, I assumed you meant your Quest. The setup on your Q is typical, the ABS's all have at least two ground pins but they always come together at a single point that isn't shared by other devices. That makes it a likely failure point whenever you see power or signal misbehavior that only affects the ABS and not other systems.

kram7211
2002 Infiniti Q45

Sorry, just added the Q45

Return to “Maxima Forum & I30 / I35 Forum”