Lift gate safe mode - newbie question

Forum for the unique Murano, and official home of Nissan Murano Club!
denviola
Car: 09 LE AWD

Hello all, and thank you for providing this forum.

Purchased 09 LE AWD, 8K miles, deep sapphire and leather with all the tech packages and 20" wheels Saturday. The dealer was having a clearance sale at a local mall, and of course the doors were open and the battery eventually went dead. The sales people closed the power rear lift gate manually, jumped the vehicle and liftgate will not reopen. Owners manual talks about safe mode and that the liftgate will not open and the dealer must repair. Won't open with the inside manual release either.

So they are going to pick it up and fix it Monday, and wondering if this is a simple fix. Saw several links in the service manual sticky for additional dead battery actions, and they all refer back to manual DLK which will not open.

Any info appreciated, and again thanks for letting me join your community. This car is awesome, and is much better appointed for the price than the ML350 we were going to buy.

Regards!Denny

blastoff99
Car: SO 350Z

Guess I should have read my manual more carefully... I missed this.

Should be a matter of resetting something electronically, I'd think. But your dealer needs to fix it for you -- fast.

Timmbo
Car: 2013 Infiniti JX35 AWD & 2013 Nissan Maxima Sport Pkg

Welcome Denviola to the Murano Forum!!!! Glad you enjoy the site!

The dealer should be able to easily take care of the issue for you, I have not heard of that happening, but of course it is possible.

denviola

Update, Murano to Nissan dealer today (Monday 29th). Dealer didn't come get it, we ended up taking it. You could hear the rear door motor run when using the outside door switch, but it would not release the door. They had not seen one that could not be opened before with the inside hidden latch. Told us that they could get it open and the real question was would it latch when closed again. Predicted we would need to leave it due to parts. Got it open in about 30 minutes, and told us the "10 piece mechanism" side of the latch was not functioning properly because the moving parts would not turn. Left it there, should have parts and reassembled by Thursday and cover under warranty. Nice service people there, so far.

Denny

Bunshaw
Car: '09 Nissan Murano SL FWD

They may have unknowingly damaged the mechanism when they closed it or it may have gotten stuck once power was returned. The power liftgate is definitely not as simple as it appears on the surface. Even when closing the liftgate manually on my MO it still involves the battery. I make sure to gently pull the liftgate all the way down and close it so that it is shut against the body and the MO still takes over and does some other latching. It's obvious because I can hear the liftgate motor and see the liftgate move a little more. The MO could not do that if the battery were completely dead.

denviola

That reply is right on the target concerning being gentle with the lift gate. The dealer called us back today and said it was apparently closed rather hard because it broke the motor, and the broken pieces are what fouled the mechanism. Will now take up to a week to source the parts and repair. The good is it is under warrantly. The bad is that anyone that thinks the lift gate in these operates like their old minivan or early SUV can do a significant and costly amount of damage.

Bunshaw
Car: '09 Nissan Murano SL FWD

The question is why anyone would use force in the first place. There are still those out there that slam car doors forcefully when most modern vehicle doors are very light and take little effort. The MO liftgate is one of those. When closing it manually it takes very little effort to do so. Once you get your MO back and fully working denviola it should be fairly apparent how light the liftgate is.

It's possible that the last little movement action that I referred to previously before final latch is what killed the motor if that step was done manually in a forceful manner.

denviola

Got it back today, excellent service, washed and ready to go. Rear hatch works most excellent! Had the rear bumper protector put on while there ($100), they installed it for no cost. One inside hatch bezel is cracked and will be a couple minute job to replace when the part comes in. I didn't see the crack, and the dealer told us about it so no surprises.I am so pleased with this ride and the dealer service. Guess I've been driiving other brands too long.

Return to “Murano Forum”