Let's talk about privacy - Driver Privacy Act of 2015

A General Discussion forum for cars and other topics, and a great place to introduce yourself if you are new to NICO!
Dattebayo
Car: 2004 Frontier Desert Runner

5.56 wrote:i dont want to sound like a jerk, but the same people complaining about this DDA of 2015 drive around with their smartphone:
1. pinging towers
2. sending exact gps location via map aps, etc
3. post on social media apps from wifi locations
4. access apps via wifi connections
5. give up wither location to google via WAYS app
and to think, this is happening 24/7, even when not in our own cars. to to think that we agree to "TERMS & Conditions" when downloading apps that take & sell:
1. our contact info
2. our phone book
3. our posts, messages, emails, texts
4. microphone
5. camera & pictures
etc. and this is happening 24/7

shall i go on?
Yeah, but just so you know: If you really wanted to, you could alter those permissions from just about any app you want with a android development kit without much penalty. I'm willing to bet you can't say the same about the car's data logger unit. BTW, it's WAZE, not WAYS.

Q451990
Car: 1990 Q45 - 118K, 2022 Toyota 4 Runner, 2004 Frontier M/T - 108K, 2012 Xterra (Mom's), 2023 Rogue (Inlaws)

So if I buy a new(er) car, I need to locate this chip... remember where it is, and in case of an accident with airbag deployment that I'm not feeling all warm and fuzzy about - shoot it. Alright... got it! No one will notice the smell of gunpowder over all of the other freshly deployed air bag smells.

OriginalWheelman
Car: '15 Ford Focus Electric

txchamps wrote:Let us revisit this:

At the risk of hijacking this thread and sounding didactic, I wish to say the following:

The second quote, if read in context, refers to the philosophical construct of the "right to privacy". It is an amorphous area whose boundaries are loosely defined, and hard to pin down. Referring to it with absolutist language such as "never" and "always", "invariably", etc. will get you into trouble with experienced sophists (of which I am not one).

The first quote, again, if taken in context (funny how quoting somebody out of context can give one such freedom to point fingers, isn't it?) refers to a physical object with limited and definable capabilities -- in this case, a microchip that has a certain limited capacity. Holding data beyind its capacity is, therefore, impossible -- not just unlikely, but purely impossible. There are only so many bytes available. Can you put a gallon of water in a quart jug? No -- that is impossible, not just unlikely. I stand by my first statements, and hereby retract my "corrections".

:nono:

I now relinquish control of the thread back to y'all -- Cheers!
Semantics is the argument of a man with no argument.

txchamps
Car: 2015 Versa Note SV, 2023 Kia Rio S

OriginalWheelman wrote:
Semantics is the argument of a man with no argument.
I see that you missed the point, which is that I am not contradicitng myself. Semantics or not.

Also, I could add that quoting out of context is the argument of a man cannot argue a point without doing so -- but I won't :biggrin:

Let's drop it and move on. It was only a minor quibble in the 1st place.

AZhitman
Administrator
Car: 58 L210, 63 Bluebird RHD, 64 NL320, 65 SPL310, 66 411 RHD, 67 WRL411, 68 510 SR20, 75 280Z RB25, 77 620 SR20, 79 B310, 90 S13, 92 SE-R, 92 Silvia Qs, 98 S14.

See what happens when you get smart, passionate (and hard-headed) people in the same room?

I love it. THIS is what makes this site so much better than 90% of all other automotive forums.

Think anyone would be having this level of intellectual discourse on Facebook? I THINK NOT. :)

Bubba1
Car: 2003 Nissan 350z
2008 Acura TSX
2008 Toyota Corolla S
2001 Toyota Avalon XLS

AZhitman wrote:See what happens when you get smart, passionate (and hard-headed) people in the same room?

I love it. THIS is what makes this site so much better than 90% of all other automotive forums.

Think anyone would be having this level of intellectual discourse on Facebook? I THINK NOT. :)
Then you get to the rest of us bums... ;)

OriginalWheelman

I'm just a redneck with an education.

txchamps
Car: 2015 Versa Note SV, 2023 Kia Rio S

OriginalWheelman wrote:I'm just a redneck with an education.
Hey, don't sell yourself short. I've read your posts.

OriginalWheelman

The truth isn't selling myself short. My momma says ya'll and only has 8 of her original teeth. I'm a redneck, and I don't consider that an insult. It's my culture.

audtatious
Car: 2017 Q60 Red Sport. Gone: 2014 Q50s, 2008 G37s coupe, 2007 G35s Sedan, 2002 Maxima SE, 2000 Villager Estate (Quest), 1998 Quest, 1996 Sentra GXE

We should allow Police to instantly access data loggers from their cruisers...you know, for perceived safety. They can instantly issue tickets and increase revenue...errrr...increase safety.

lol

Return to “General Chat”