Let's talk about......Kneeling for the Anthem

A place for intelligent and well-thought-out discussion involving politics and associated topics. No nonsense will be tolerated at all.

Your stand on kneeling for the National Anthem

100% for it
15%
100% against it (Keep politics out of sports)
38%
50/50 agree on the issue, but there's a better stage for that
46%
0% IDGAF about sports, I'm just here to vote.
No votes

Total votes: 13

RCA

AZhitman wrote:
Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:51 pm
In discussing IA, you're right in my wheelhouse.
It's always nice to have primary sources during discussion.

Never really thought of it that way, it's an HR investigation.
HR follows company policy and doesn't make the investigations public.

I would argue that in the case of LE if people in a community are upset with their PD, and nothing wrong technically happened then something is probably not right. Either IA is looking out for the department, or the people they serve don't agree with or understand the policies of the department.

The public is why the LEs and PDs exist. If people are upset (justified or not) and they are ignored, the loss in trust will occur and you dig yourself into a whole. This hurts everyone. Obviously there are cases when the outrage is unreasonable but that is the community you serve, a good faith effort needs to be made for the betterment of everyone. Pitting ourselves against each other will lead to chaos so we need to work with each other and what ever gets us there is worth trying.
AZhitman wrote:
Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:51 pm
Body cameras aren't exactly a "no-brainer reform." Certainly, they have their place, and they appear on the surface to be a panacea. However, there are a ton of issues people don't think about.
I wouldn't categorize any single reform as being "an answer or solution for all problems" (I had to look that up) but it is definitely a better direction than not having cameras. All the details and nuances need to be ironed out sure, but all the push back is shameful and definitely leaves a sour taste in my mouth. As for the issues involved with body cams it's probably worth it's own thread being that this one is about NFL protest of police.

As someone who works/worked in the industry have you noticed changes in disciplinary actions, officer behavior, or the public's behavior since (cellphone or body) cameras have become more prevalent? My intuition says it makes it more difficult to get away with stuff and so it probably changed the behaviors of all those involved.

AZhitman
Administrator
Car: 58 L210, 63 Bluebird RHD, 64 NL320, 65 SPL310, 66 411 RHD, 67 WRL411, 68 510 SR20, 75 280Z RB25, 77 620 SR20, 79 B310, 90 S13, 92 SE-R, 92 Silvia Qs, 98 S14.

RCA wrote:
Sun Oct 22, 2017 3:31 pm
I would argue that in the case of LE if people in a community are upset with their PD, and nothing wrong technically happened then something is probably not right. Either IA is looking out for the department, or the people they serve don't agree with or understand the policies of the department.
That last point is, sadly, the case, more often than not. The genpop don't see first responders, athletes, or military as human beings like themselves. They see uniforms (and the mental imagery that invokes is good, bad or indifferent based on their culture, upbringing, and possible positive or negative past experiences). You are correct in that the genpop has little to no interest in learning - and I'll go a step further - not just about the department's policies, but about the law, the Constitution, and the disconnect between what they're shouting and what they truly believe.

Think about how many people fundamentally misunderstand freedom of speech and freedom of expression (as discussed above).

No, the genpop is rarely interested in facts. One need only look at our political situation to see evidence of this. They want to hate the villain, cheer for the hero, and God forbid if they're exposed to be anything that doesn't coincide with popular thought. When enforcement of a clearly-stated law is labeled as "racism" for convenience, that's not the job of the LEO or department to educate. The impetus is on the loudest mouths and ringleaders to make sure they know what they're talking about.

Again, you nailed it - We absolutely can do better., and that foot should never lift off the pedal. But it's hard to teach those who, in general, don't want to learn. To get in an uproar over a handful of unjustifiable force cases - which cross racial lines (we just hear about [conveniently] ones that involve a minority perpetrator) out of the literally hundreds of thousands of police contacts that occur every day with no drama, is to be intellectually dishonest - and, perhaps, to undermine the 99.999% of perfectly functional and appropriate interactions that occur daily.
RCA wrote:
All the push back is shameful and definitely leaves a sour taste in my mouth.
Agreed. On the surface, absolutely. Which is why I will never support unionization of the job (or any other function). But again, the pushback may not be for the assumed reasons. It comes down to perception - which I'm about to touch on.
RCA wrote:
have you noticed changes in disciplinary actions, officer behavior, or the public's behavior since (cellphone or body) cameras have become more prevalent? My intuition says it makes it more difficult to get away with stuff and so it probably changed the behaviors of all those involved.
Absolutely - but not always in the ways you'd expect. Unknowingly, you've even demonstrated [I'm not picking on you, but this is a great example] the POV that leans to one side. And that's what happens with the genpop. Cams aren't just there to prevent brutality or inappropriate interactions. In fact, once the genpop sees some of the footage, they're usually aghast at what LEOs have to deal with - you'll hear responses like, "I would smack the s*** outta that guy" or "God help my kid if he ever talks to a cop like that." These are the people who perceive that the cams are JUST to "catch bad cops." Nope. Part of the beauty of them is that they're impassive and devoid of opinion. They show the bullcrap that people pull - often for no good reason.

There's a school of thought (and I'm not up on the latest research) that cams make those interactions MORE difficult.

LEOs have to go "by the book," rather than using professional discretion (or, what the genpop would call "human kindness"), meaning something that might have gotten a stern warning, or a "WTF dude, you don't wanna go to jail, get outta here!" now result in an arrest (increasing the chances for bad things happening on both sides).

There's also a tendency for certain citizens to "act out," knowing full well they're on cam. They know their words and behavior can be "ramped up" as long as they don't cross the line. That fakery makes legitimate human interaction difficult. Think of the worst internet troll you've witnessed, and translate that into real life... and then tell me you'd want to deal with these a$$hats. Remember, these aren't badges, they're real people, just like us. They want to go home and wrench on their car, play with their kids, catch a ball game, etc. Meanwhile, Punky McThug is doing everything in his power to elicit a negative response from an officer [see self-fulfilling prophesy] because it'll reinforce his already-negative perception of the uniform.

Good stuff, brother. I hope this is helpful - and BTW, anything I share plus a dollar might get you a small soda. :)

srellim234
Car: 2007 silver Versa SL
hatchback w/CVT
(sold 08/2011)
2008 red Toyota Prius
(purchased 04/2016)

I went to the Kernville Whiskey Days Rodeo on Saturday and I left still shaking my head at the hypocrisy that I can only term "redneck Republicans" display. Besides a lot of the people in the crowd disrespecting the flag by wearing clothing depicting it, the people running the show actually complained about the NFL "kneelers" while they

1. Opened with a parachutist bringing a large American flag down into the arena, a flag large enough that it is almost guaranteed to land in the dirt and dung every time while cowboys stand by to try to gather it up quickly. It hit the dirt before the parachutist did.
2. They held that flag horizontally at waist height (another no-no) during the singing of the National Anthem while they held the flags of the state, the rodeo company and a few others higher than that even though they did dip those other flags a little.
3. Respect for the singing of the National Anthem also went out the window as they began whistling, cheering and catcalling during the last line.

Someone sitting near us actually had the stupidity to complain about not wanting to see or hear a political statement at a football game while he cheered the announcer endorsing the Republican candidate for the state assembly multiple times and the he cheered as the candidate rode her horse around the arena. A rodeo is a sports/athletic event every bit as much as a football game is.

macgiver

maybe them's just Super Patriotic huh, ya thank ,eh ????

Return to “Politics Etc.”