Legalization Fee's.

A forum for owners and fans of the legendary Nissan Skyline and Nissan GTR.
stoops417
Car: FB

has anyone thought of the idea of "legalizing" a skyline for use in a state other than CA? Here in Missouri, you can register and drive "off-road" vehicles on public streets/highways.... Ezcheese15, would it be any cheaper if i were to buy a skyline from you for this instance? or would the paperwork/legalization process still be the same and therefore the price? Or would it be different?

SmithSR
Car: 240sx

The car must comply to DOT/EPA. MotoRex is on the books with both to bring the car into compliance. Have you searched around and noticed how many threads are dedicated to sneaking, cheating, or otherwise conning their way into owning/driving a skyline. There are threads which have discussed, in detail, the fact that importing on your own, then cost of legalization requires just as much money up front as going to MotoRex.

If you are in a position to get a bank loan for a $30K 350Z, you should instead be able to get a bank loan for a MotoRex $30K R32 gts-t. So, instead of swapping vins, cheating the system, or risking losing the car, work on improving your credit score, get the loan, and go buy a turn-key street and smog legal Skyline from MotoRex. <-this is where most people give up and realize it'd take years to complete such a task. <--these people aren't as dedicated as they say they are.

stoops417

Were you referring to my idea?... because what i was talking about would be 100% legal...

SmithSR

Going through MotoRex is 100% legal. The car does not conform to federal smog and crash regs.

Post the state law that says vehicles intended for off-road use only can be legally registered and used on public roads.

http://www.nissaninfiniticlub....ber=2

"there are bonds(100% of what you payed for Customs, 150% for EPA source: http://freespace.virgin.net/jo....html) that you must put down, but get back once the car is street legal"

"the only LEGAL skylines I know of have been imported through Motorex."

http://www.nissaninfiniticlub....24532

"If you want to import it as a racecar, then you have to claim so at port. Also, you have to file paperwork showing that you plan on racing it and at what races, in what sanction. Or, for a show car, what shows it will be attending."

"Yeah, I just did a little digging and found that even if they give you permission to import for racing purposes, you have to re-file for permission after a year. So...not worth it."

"That's because there *is* no way around it. If there was, then somebody would have done it by now."

"your $10400USD skyline sent to GK Automotive for DOT and EPA compliance brings your total to $16,400. Next, importation duty: 2.5% of $16400= $410. New total: $16810.The site figures $2000 for shipping and insurance.New total: $18810.The site then figures $1250 for "eventualities" aka unknown expensesNew total: $20060.Next is the whopper! customs bond equal to 100% of vehicle value $10400 added on, bringing your total to: $30460DOT conformance bond equal to 150% vehicle value($10400)=15600 added on to your original dollar amount needed to get your car here legally and in compliance with the three agencies.New total: $35660.USD

Yes, they are correct about the two bonds, which in your case would total $26000USD are returnable upon verification of vehicle compliance.

So, to get your car street legal in the U.S. you need $35660 sitting in your bank account right now."

http://www.nissaninfiniticlub....ber=2

"You guys don't seem to understand that legalizing a car is not a state government thing. It is a federal thing. I don't care what state you live in, all states are equally as hard to legalize a car in (with the exception of the Republic of California). I don't care if you are in Chicago, Atlanta, Bowling Green, or even a farm in the middle of Wyoming. It's all the same process.

For the kit car stuff, it is *illegal* to import a Skyline as a kit car. I don't care how you do it. Read http://www.epa.gov/otaq/imports/kitcar.htm

Specifically, the following statement...which is off the EPA website itself, not some B.S. wannabe pro-motorex site.

The production, sale and importation of vehicle parts (engines, transmissions, chassis, vehicle bodies, etc.) are not regulated by EPA because parts are not considered motor vehicles under the Clean Air Act. However if the parts constitute a disassembled vehicle or an approximate disassembled vehicle, the combination is considered a motor vehicle under the Clean Air Act. Any attempt to use this policy to circumvent the Clean Air Act or the Imports regulations will be considered a violation of the Clean Air Act and will be strictly enforced. An example of such circumvention is:

A kit car maker who also provides the engine and transmission before or after production/importation of the body/chassis.

And also...

Except with regard to kit vehicles meeting the guidelines at "2" above; an individual or firm that assembles kits for hire or resale, that produces assembled kit cars for resale or that produces complete kit car packages for resale will be considered to be a manufacturer of new motor vehicles under the Clean Air Act. Such manufacturers and their vehicles are subject to all applicable regulations under the Act including civil penalties of up to $25,000 per vehicle for each new motor vehicle distributed in commerce, sold, offered for sale, or introduced, or delivered for introduction, into commerce, unless such vehicle is covered by a certificate of conformity issued by EPA."

http://www.nissaninfiniticlub....26235This sticky is what you really need to read.

I wasn't pointing the finger at you specifically. Getting the car registered is the hard part. The time, money, and energy you put into this could better be spent earning the money to do everything in accordance with federal standards.(MotoRex)

You'll need 250% of the vehicle's value up front. You'll need an RI. You'll need to then get the car to comply($).

OR, go to MotoRex, and get a turn-key 100% regulation compliant car. Either way, you'll need roughly the same amount of money, up front. So, instead of finding a back door, why not start saving money?

--quotes from various members

-Phil:rant

stoops417

I agree that the best way is through Motorex, i was simply implying that, where there is a will, there is a way.

You have done plenty of homework here and if i were not too tired, i would do some more myself... but i know for a fact that in Missouri and i'm sure in some other states as well, it is legal to register an Off-Road vehicle for use on the road (i'm sure i couldn't register it here, and drive it into CA... but that doesn't matter to me personally) as long as it meets some standards (i will look these up for specifics but it's basically, lights, wipers if you have a windshield... brakes that exist... ect.) In CA you will never see dune buggies on the road because of the severe penalties for such but... in MO they are legal and plentiful... SO... assuming a RI could get the car here, A resident of MO or a state with similar laws could LEGALLY register and drive the car on public roads. without having to deal with getting a US vin and such... in theory that is...

I'm tired so i'm not sure if the above makes any sense or not but... it's a thought. Perhaps someone else can take my thoughts and improve upon them to the point of piloting their very own Skyline...

gsxtasee
Car: racing anything and everything

motorex charges $16k to legalize it but if the car you buy in Japan has been crashed, they can't/won't do it and then you just bought a POS and have to ship it back to Japan. If you pay motorex to find you one, they assume the risk of getting you a car and handing you the keys to a street legal car.

the Darkside Motoring prices are the same as Moterex prices only Motorex has about 15 of them sitting in Gardena... How many does Darkside have? What rep does Darkside Have? I have a loan right now and a blank check for $50k and another $15k cash to go with it... if Darkside can get my '96 R33 GT-R here and street legal then I would consider buying from them but, alas, I call BULL**** and I have the cash to back it up....

gsxtasee

My bad...I meant to say "after dark" not Darkside motoring in the previous post. I tried to edit it but it was too late. I have e-mailed the moderator to try to have them correct it for me.

I meant "how many GT-R's does After Dark have? what's their Reputation? I have the cash to back it up and if they can deliver a street legal, registered R33 GT-R to me, I woul consider buying it from them instead of Motorex.....again, I am saying this with CASH IN HAND... any reply?

I'm not trying to be a di ck but I just think it's stupid when people try to act like they can do sh it they can't just because they think no one can/will call them on it... I mean erally, how many of you on here are in the market for a Skyline, realistically? So how could you really call them on it? Well I can and I am... it's put up or shut up time.

SmithSR

Have you called MotoRex yet? It sounds like you're ready to deal...

This would be great if you kept us all in the loop. Please let us know what becomes of this deal.

gsxtasee

Of course I've Called Motorex. They are the only ones who can -Legally_ bring in Skylines and sell them for use on public highways with no shady business, swapping VIN's, or other such crap that will get your car taken and help you lose all your money.

Motorex is looking right now for the car of my dreams. I just wanted to put it out that I _have_ the money to buy, I _am_ in the market, and will buy -if- someone can actually back up their claims... if not, then you all know that whoever is saying they can bring them in is full of it. If so, then I stand corrected and I'll get a good deal on a Skyline GT-R. As it is, I am not complaining about what I'm talking with Motorex about... They are good peoples and have a good reputation and are PROVEN to bring in and make Skylines legal... seeing as how I've been driving my friends' R32 GTS-T w/ RB26DETT for the past week or so... see pics posted by DAEDALUS

SmithSR

:Werd Best of luck to you. I'm a bit jealous! Post up pics of your purchase..

gsxtasee

I'm a bit jealous of myself!! It is still hard to believe I am actually working on getting my dream car. I just had some pics sent to me of a possible car that I could possibly get. It is really nice but I have to wait for it to be mechanically checked out since it already has some mods (yippee!!). If it checks out, It could be mine in about 2 months or so; I think. If it turns out this is the one I am getting, I'll post the pics I have but not until it checks out...

EZcheese15
Car: 2012 Juke SV
2011 Titan Pro-4X
2007 BMW 328i

I just want to say that this thread is old, and some of you may not know, but I no longer am associated with Afterdark Tuning. And currently, the only legal way to import a Skyline is through Motorex or RBmotoring.

IneedMoney
Car: car

cars in japan are dirt cheap!!!

Return to “GTR Forum / Skyline Forum”