LED Upgrade Project + Dome Light Conversion

Forum for Infiniti M35 and M45, and Nissan Fuga owners.
Big Raj
Car: 06 M35X

how do I get to the license plate bulbs?

kingpin
Car: 2004 M 45

did my car earlier in the year ..it looks killer .with the tan leather ..

lino
Car: 1991 Q45a Fed-Spec, IQP/White, Texasoil 9 Accumulator Recharge, '93 TCU 1st Gear Start, JWFSB, B&M 70268 Transmission Cooler, BBS Forged Wheels, DRLs, Silverstars, Tint, Very Well Serviced.

I can't believe how bright those lights are. One of these I'll get around to doing mine.

ktap13

Will the dome light leds fadeout when the door is shut or will they just go out?

Menace2Society

Great Mod looks awsome!just wondering if people think it would look good with blue LED's instead of white ones?also would an LED Strip light (http://www.v-leds.com/Interior-LED/Dome ... 74237.html) work in the footwells?

infinitiandbeyond
Car: 2007 M35x

Hey KTAP, great question. They will dim down half as normal and then just shut off. It is indeed more abrupt than stock.

Mex35x
Car: 2006 m35x

any way I can get you to repost the pics please?or email them to me?

mcrews
Car: 2002 Q45 Sport

thanks for the hard work.Did the applicable bulbs on my 02Q45.

wow

Baconz06M35
Car: 2006 Infiniti M35 Wheat/Black

Here is a do it yourself step by step narrative for those of you who have had issues with the dome light bulbs. Most of the LEDs have the polarity wrong, and since these are not wedge bulbs, they cannot be simply turned around.

You will need to disassemble them, switch the wires to reverse the polarity, and reassemble the LEDS.

Everyone has a preference for the vendor/brand of bulbs, but I found some inexpensive SMD LED bulbs that work great!

You need a couple common tools:- Tweezers or little alligator clip holders- A small razor or pen knife- Rosin core solder- Soldering gun- needle nose pliers

This is the bulb I used for the dome light:first use the razor or knife to loosen the base from the LEDs. slide the knife between the base and the LED and gently cut them apart. Dont cut all the way through!!! BE GENTLE.

work the base away from the LEDs

You can either use a small solder vacuum to suck the solder out of the base, or you can just melt the solder and pull the top, and the wire, out of the melted solder.

There should be some sort of silicone, or glue holding it all together. cut/peel away the old silicone and expose the wires. 1. one wire will fit straight down through the hole in the bottom of the base2. the other wire will be soldered to the inside wall of the base

Melt the solder on wire 2 and pull it away from the base. Switch the wires, and solder the other wire back onto the base into position 2.

Silicone around the bottom of the LEDs and slide it back into the base. The loose wire should slide straight down into the hole in the bottom of the base.

Hold the LED and the base together until the silicone dries.

One wire should be sticking up through the bottom of the base

Solder around the wire to fill in the hole and create a solid soldered base

The LED should fit perfectly into the socket, and your light should turn on! I recommend pulling the fuse from the box from the driver side under the dash before switching the bulbs.

Here are some pictures of the finished product! Enjoy!

Good luck! Let me know if you have questions.
Modified by Baconz06M35 at 10:39 PM 2/12/2010

ncballa3
Car: 2006 Infiniti M35 Sport

Nice whip and photos!I have a question and would love some help. I am trying to replace my daytime running lights to LED's but it's not working. I bought 38-LED bulbs in super white to really make it bright. I unplugged the standard running light bulbs and simply plugged in the new LED bulbs but it's not working. I unplugged them and re-installed them again switching terminals and still nothing. The seller told me to try and plug one into my rear license plate lights, so I tried and NOTHING again!I don't know if I got a bum set of bulbs or if I'm missing something. Do I need to buy new harnesses or should the bulbs just simply plug in and light fine??PLEASE HELP!!

IM4UMIA
Car: 2007 Infiniti M45 Sport

How do you remove the trunk lid lining to swap out the reverse bulbs? I can see that most of what's securing the lining simply snaps in place. However, there are two black knobs that I'm not sure what to do with. They turn but don't seem to do anything. I'm afraid to try to pop them off.

RONSM35X
Car: 2008 INFINITI M 35X

How I REMOVED THE TRUNK LID. Just take those turn knob ( turn so they feel loose not so close to the lid that it's holding in place) and yank them right out. No worries they won't break . . Then get a flat head screwdriver and stick it in the little slot that's on those black peg things (or what have u) on the trunk cover but b careful they will break so b patient. Its real easy just take it slow. i can't stress this enough. it will pop out half way then grab and pull the rest of the way with your hand. Once that's done pull the emergency handle( Yellow) thing out of it slot. It will make a loud bang so don't fret again. Its just infiniti trying to discourage you from doing it yourself , let it hang there. Then pull the mat from the top and bottom corner you're working on. i find it easier to do one side at a time n you won't lose things that way. You will have to pull toward you and down to avoid the latch for the trunk . It's a pain for me and nerve racking but it won't break or rip. Once inside bulb right in front of you i think its in a green bulb holder but you'll see the wires leading to it just twist - its real tight ( or I'm real weak) and i think that's it. Someone Can explain better with less words please do . GOOD LUCK.

IM4UMIA

Re: the four door LEDs .....I easily pried the bulb casing from the door and removed the plastic cover. For the life of me I cannot get the OEM bulb out. It wiggles slightly back and forth but will not lift out. It's a tight space and I cannot get my fingers on it well enough to pull it out. My hands are fairly medium to small. I'm afraid to try to pry it out with a screw driver from one of the side openings. It's really ticking me off ......and that little bulb gets HOT after a while.

Any suggestions?

RONSM35X
Car: 2008 INFINITI M 35X

Three words my friend. NEEDLE NOSE PLIERS. Grab that bit*h tight and yank it out. Don't b afraid about breaking the bulb just make sure you grab it at the far end of the bulb.

IM4UMIA

Thanks .... I figured it out though .... stuck a small flat head screwdriver in the side opening and those boys popped right out.

IM4UMIA

In place of the pry tool used by 'infinitiandbeyond', a plastic cooking spatula from the kitchen drawer worked flawlessly!
Modified by IM4UMIA at 5:52 PM 2/20/2010

RSXr4c3r
Car: 2006 Infinity M45

first off...hello nicoclub!!!....i havent been posting because i have been doing a lot of searching and reading before i actually just reply to this forums and ask but first off...

wow...this is awesome...i recently picked up a M45 and the previous owner had done 75% of the led conversion but i didnt know what to do with the dome light so now i have something to work on...thank you so much

but the purpose of my reply is to ask you guys if you guys have tried to replace the blinkers in our car to led....i believe because led bulbs have a lower load, we would have to install load resistors in our car so that the blinkers dont blink rapidly like the way mine are right now...so please help me out if you guys know the answer!

yosM45
Car: 2006 M45 Sport Twighlight Blue

Could someone just confirm for that the front dome/map lights are the BA9S?

Also, has anyone changed the light of the Infiniti front door foot step light from orange to white?

Phantom Infiniti
Car: 2006 M35x

Yes the Dome/map lights are BA9S. i got a set from SuperbrightLEDs.com and so far so good :)
Sry no info on that second question but i too would like to know if it could be done.

Ilya
Car: 2011 M56x but I spend a lot of time on my 2015 Kawasaki Vulcan S. Former owner of a 2007 M35x. Also take care of my wife's 2016 QX60.

Gonna add this to the FAQ/HowTo thread.

+1 for V-Leds. I use them exclusively for all my auto LED needs.

yosM45

Thanks Phantom!

Question...

All the other bulbs in the car are from V-Leds, and their "WHITE" is 6000k.

The High Power 9 LED BA9S on SuperbrightLEDS.com says that their bulbs are 5500k. Will they match?

Also, I can't tell if they are saying that the "white" is 5500k or the "blue" is 5500k? Which ones do I get?

http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-bin/ ... s-xhp9.htm

Ilya
Car: 2011 M56x but I spend a lot of time on my 2015 Kawasaki Vulcan S. Former owner of a 2007 M35x. Also take care of my wife's 2016 QX60.

5500k is probably white and they will match to an extent, won't be perfect, but may work out just fine.

Queensbridge

Nice. Looks like a Lexus now inside.

SteveTheTech
Car: 15 Sentra SR
12 G37x Coupe
-Formerly-
05 Mazda 6 L3 Sport, 95 J30, 94 D22

V-leds ftw. The tecnology has finally increased and the price has decreased enough to make this a worth while upgrade. I just ordered a full set for my wife's car after she saw the huge difference on my dinosaur.

If you do it halfassed it will show, in either long term durability or rapid degradation or multiple led panels.

Phantom Infiniti
Car: 2006 M35x

yosM45 wrote:Thanks Phantom!

Question...

All the other bulbs in the car are from V-Leds, and their "WHITE" is 6000k.

The High Power 9 LED BA9S on SuperbrightLEDS.com says that their bulbs are 5500k. Will they match?

Also, I can't tell if they are saying that the "white" is 5500k or the "blue" is 5500k? Which ones do I get?

http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-bin/ ... s-xhp9.htm
I purchased the ""BA9s-xHP6-12V 6 High Power LED Bulb | $ 4.95 |Cool White BA9s-CWHP6"" for the dome lights and V-leds for the back bulbs. the back is slightly brighter but the colors are the same. not sure about the 9LED but the 6LED cool white works fine.

yosM45

Thanks! That's what I was wondering. I have the same setup on the rear.

So cool white it is, but I'm go gonna get the 9 led since the top leds are blocked by the metal plate.

Baconz06M35

ncballa3 wrote:Nice whip and photos!I have a question and would love some help. I am trying to replace my daytime running lights to LED's but it's not working. I bought 38-LED bulbs in super white to really make it bright. I unplugged the standard running light bulbs and simply plugged in the new LED bulbs but it's not working. I unplugged them and re-installed them again switching terminals and still nothing. The seller told me to try and plug one into my rear license plate lights, so I tried and NOTHING again!I don't know if I got a bum set of bulbs or if I'm missing something. Do I need to buy new harnesses or should the bulbs just simply plug in and light fine??PLEASE HELP!!
You may have to adjust the wire leads on each side of the base. Sometimes the wires dont exactly line up, or they get squashed too close to the wedge (if that makes sense) Try pulling the wires away from the wedge in order to make better contact with the socket. Good luck! If that doesnt work, PM me and i'll see if I can help.

Baconz06M35

My next project will be replacing the gauge cluster backlights. I would love to do the bright blue or a bright white. I know a lot of you really like the Infiniti orange, but I'm just not a fan. Has ANYONE done this on the M??? I've seen it on others, but I would really hate to get in there and damage any of the electronics.

yosM45

Changed the map light bulbs out from the 1 led Ba9s, to these...

http://www.v-leds.com/Exterior-LED/Corn ... 57628.html

And I must say they are just as bight as the rear map lights now. They're 5 leds...

$12.00 shipped for the pair.

V-leds coupon code..

Starting 7/2/10 to 7/5/10 use Coupon Code BOOM for 20% off Everything!

Need to change the fogs out now, ANYONE have any suggestions from V-LEDS?

Tech_Guy
Car: 2006 M35x AWD

I replaced my fogs with this part:

http://www.v-leds.com/Exterior-LED/DRLF ... 24328.html

The color matches the factory HIDs and they're a lot brighter than I expected. Haven't had a chance to test the nighttime/foggy/rainy effectiveness, but for looks it works for me.

I just got my 2006 M35x - bought it from a friend of the family and I've been riding in it and occasionally driving it since it was new. I knew I wanted to replace the fogs immediately, but this thread has got me wanting to do the whole thing in LEDs. I've used V-LEDS for my other vehicles and have always been satisfied.

Return to “Infiniti M35 and M45 Forum”