LED headlight install

Forum for Infiniti M35 and M45, and Nissan Fuga owners.
mexillis
Car: M45s

my leds didnt mention any type of k. and the link yos provided above is what i bought at the store. but if you can find stronger/brighter ones get m. im gona buy a second set to make it brighter

Menace2Society

Well i just ordered a set from V-leds. The same ones that yoz suggested. They should be bright enough, no?

mexillis

yeah they should. post pics of it when ur done. i've read people installed m but no pics to share. i would like to see how it turned out w/dif. brand leds.

giovanna145
Car: 95 300ZX TT

Anyone tried to change out the lights to an LED on the instrument panel? I know most people like the Amber look but I like the colored ones like the 08's. Just wondering if anyone has looked into it or if it's impossible

mexillis

ive seen this question before, i just havent seen anyone do it yet. if someone has post pics. and how to

Menace2Society

Yup will do... Just got the strips today so ill be sure to post pics.im mostly going to follow your set up mex

IM4UMIA
Car: 2007 Infiniti M45 Sport

What kind of tape did you use to cover the wiring? (Not talking about the electrical tape.)

Looks great by the way!

mexillis

IM4UMIA wrote:What kind of tape did you use to cover the wiring? (Not talking about the electrical tape.)

Looks great by the way!
the only kind of tape i used was electrical tape, for areas that i spliced into and to cover up the led's. Is that what you were wondering?

wolfM35
Car: 2007 M35 Sport

I was also wondering about the other tape. It looks like 3M double-sided tape with the red backing.

mexillis

wolfM35 wrote:I was also wondering about the other tape. It looks like 3M double-sided tape with the red backing.
ohh ok i gotcha ya, yeah thats the double sided tape that the led's come with but i didnt use it thats why it still has the red backing. I used 3M adhesive to make the led's stick to my headlight housing. It's like a silicon/superglue you could say. If you use that make sure to not apply the 3M adhesive to the whole srtip unless you have 2 people to apply pressure. It doesnt conform to the shape perfectly and is best if you do half and half to make it do so.

IM4UMIA
Car: 2007 Infiniti M45 Sport

mexillis wrote:
the only kind of tape i used was electrical tape, for areas that i spliced into and to cover up the led's. Is that what you were wondering?
No... after you installed the LED's, secured and taped the wiring connections, you then cover everything up with tape. What tape is that? It doesn't look like electrical tape. I've ordered everything but this cover up tape. Will post pix once completed. Thanks again.

mexillis

It is electrical tape. The other black stuff that doesnt look like tape is the rubber weather strip that is there originally. Hope THIS clarifies for you\

mexillis

updated pic with 6000k low beams, 3000k HID fogs, red LED side marker and LED parking bulb

dvan

Very nice look Mex

abrahams600
Car: 1990 Taurus SHO

I got pulled over the other day for having the same LED color and the cop said they where tooo blue...I need to order 6000k HIDs so they don't mess with me i guess.

mexillis

yeah some cops can be a PIA sometimes, maybe he needed u to make his quota or somethn.

msid05
Car: 06 Infiniti m35 sport

mexillis wrote:my leds didnt mention any type of k. and the link yos provided above is what i bought at the store. but if you can find stronger/brighter ones get m. im gona buy a second set to make it brighter
Hey Mexillis. Quick question how much space is there to install the lights the way you installed them.

I found these lights made by the same brand you used. They are supposed to be brighter but im wonder if you think they'll fit and can be installed the same way you did yours.

http://www.alpena.ca/Product.aspx?id=1136

TDot
Car: 2008 M35X, Lakeshore Slate/Tan

I really like this look, one bar of light. I prefer this over seeing individual bulbs as if the headlights were for a Christmas tree. Does it look like that in person or just in the pics?

mexillis

msid05, those will fit. I would recommend getting longer ones though or two sets to make it longer. Reason I say that is if you want the light to extend all the way to the edge near the fender you can remove the little rubber piece and slide the LED's inside to make it illuminate the whole lens. Tdot, yes they shine just like the picture show. I never liked the individaul LED look and no every car is manuf. is doing it.

msid05
Car: 06 Infiniti m35 sport

mexillis wrote:msid05, those will fit. I would recommend getting longer ones though or two sets to make it longer. Reason I say that is if you want the light to extend all the way to the edge near the fender you can remove the little rubber piece and slide the LED's inside to make it illuminate the whole lens. Tdot, yes they shine just like the picture show. I never liked the individaul LED look and no every car is manuf. is doing it.

More towards the fender? so like it'll extend over the low beam projector? The leds are one single 20" strip that should be long enough no? There not 2 12" ones like the ones you got. Gonna get 2 but it'll cost $100 opposed to the 2 for 25. Think it's worth it for that much for more brightness?

TDot

I think it would be even hotter, if you're inclined to go through the trouble, to be able to have the fogs and those on by themselves.

jiggersplat
Car: 2008 Infiniti M45x
1995 Toyota Supra TT 6-spd

anyone ever tried using electro-luminescent glow wire instead of LEDs? It's flexible and a continuous light instead of individual LEDs.

http://www.glowire.com/

wideopn11
Car: 2012 Infiniti M37x Moonlight White

Takeda CAI
Stillen exhaust w/ MeganRacing Y-pipe
SCALE coilovers 16K/10K F/R
Akebono BBK
Cusco strutbar
25mm spacers F/R
Uprev tune by seymore4

Looks good mexillis. I like the solid beam of light across the top.

TDot

jiggersplat wrote:electro-luminescent glow wire
That's exactly what I've been wanting for a couple ideas I had that LEDs just wouldn't do. Damn why did winter have to come, all these projects bubbling in my head and too cold to do the work I want. Only thing I don't like is the need for drivers, but it will have to do. Thanks.

mexillis

msid05 wrote:
More towards the fender? so like it'll extend over the low beam projector? The leds are one single 20" strip that should be long enough no? There not 2 12" ones like the ones you got. Gonna get 2 but it'll cost $100 opposed to the 2 for 25. Think it's worth it for that much for more brightness?

Yeah to illuminate the whole top part of the lens. If they are 20" per strip that will be long enough and you wont need two of them. IDK how bright those one's are that you mentioned but mine were not visible during the day and where bright enough at night. I no longer have this set up any more but it was pretty simple to do. I haven't tried it yet but I think you could make the fogs turn on with the parking lights just by tapping into them. That would probably be a way to make them not turn off when turning on the high beams too.

TDot

When you put the glue on the led strip did you put it on the top of the led light (opposite side of 3M tape) facing the back of the car? Or did you put the glue on the side of the led facing down towards the ground (glueing the side of the strip to the headlights)?

mexillis

the LED's i purchased were not side emiting diodes so I applied the glue to the opposite side of the 3m backing and made it adhere towards the back of the car so the light will shine into the lens.

TDot

I kind of figured that, but here's why I asked.

I took a pic of my headlights and I want to make sure mine are like yours to get the same results. Notice the black "strip" on the top of the headlight. That's on the inside of the light, looks like a sealer or glue for the headlight. I'm not talking about the thick rubber weather strip sitting at the top front of the light, I'm talking about the thin black one just above that. If I place the light like you say, it will shine directly into that strip.

I'm guessing, and hoping, you do have the strip there as well and the way all this works is the light emitted is defused and spread out by bouncing directly on that black strip and then bleeds down and defused through the ridges at the top of the headlight assembly to create the look of the solid bar. All just a guess, so I'm hoping you do have the same black strip.

mexillis

I think mine does have that but will double check later today. I no longer have the LED's ever since I installed my custom headlights so I dont have them in the way like my pictures show on the first page of this thread.

mexillis

Mine do have that black strip inside the lens. Where I placed the LEDs was on the edge of that. What you can do is if it comes with a press me switch place them on the lens and see how it shines. That's what I did prior to installing them and glueing them in place. I did a set for someone and they had side emitting LED'S and it worked using the 3m backing and just laying it like normal and still created the beam of light instead of individual ones. That's an easier way to do this mod.

Return to “Infiniti M35 and M45 Forum”