Learned'd VIII: Less Bewbs, Same Nonsense

A General Discussion forum for cars and other topics, and a great place to introduce yourself if you are new to NICO!
MinisterofDOOM
Car: 1962 Corvair Monza
1961 Corvair Lakewood
1974 Unimog 404
1997 Pathfinder XE
2005 Lincoln LS8
Former:
1995 Q45t
1993 Maxima GXE
1995 Ranger XL 2.3
1984 Coupe DeVille

Man, I'm just having a string of great luck.

Dropped my Nexus 6 face-down on concrete Saturday. Destroyed.

Time to replace it, but I'm EXCEEDINGLY picky about my smartphones, and I want a Nexus. Unfortunately, because Google are f*** asstards, Nexus doesn't exist anymore. Just these wannabe-iPhone wastes of space called Pixel with bezels the size of a Nimitz-class flight deck and pricetags way too high for what they do.

The closest thing to a phone I actually like is the ZTE Axon 7. But they come in gold or black (what the F@CK is with this gold phone trend? Who buys this s***?) and the black ones are perpetually on backorder.

So I did some research and settled (quite literally, unfortunately) for an LG V20. Big screen (nearly impossible to find anymore unless you like Samsung, which I don't), good (but not great) hardware specs, SD slot, removable battery, fingerprint scanner, and a tasteful design.

It's not perfect:
It's not a Nexus, which means it's laden with bloatware and Android has been ruined (though much less so than with other manufacturers).
It's got an IPS display rather than OLED (why the Hell does ANYONE make ANY screen that's no OLED anymore?! Especially high-end devices!)
It has a Snapdragon 820. Not a great chip. Bad battery life and prone to thermal throttling.
It's as expensive as a Pixel, despite being less premium.
The media speaker is downward-firing. The Nexus 6's dual front-facing stereo speaker arrangement spoiled me and now I can't stand anything else.
The whole damn face is glass and just waiting to be scratched to Hell, with nothing to stand it off the surface if placed face-down (again, all-glass-faced N6 had small standoffs in the speaker grilles to keep the glass from getting demolished my tabletops when face-down).
The volume buttons are in the wrong place. How many people use their left thumb for volume control? Not enough to do it wrong, that's how many.

I'm going to TRY to leave it stock, but I'm only 4 days in and already struggling. I'm itching to make some minor build.prop tweaks and uninstall all the bloat.

I'm not sure if I like it or am just tolerating it a this point.

Frankly, I think the smartphone market is s***, and has been since just after the Nexus 6 launched. Everyone went from trying to build a good phone to trying to brag about having the best specific feature on their phone. Best camera, best stupid curved display, best not-headphone-jack, whatever. Phones stopped moving forward and started being stupid for the sake of uniqueness. There's not a phone out there right now that I WANT. Just a few that don't entirely disappoint.

IBCoupe
Car: '08 Nissan Altima Coupe 3.5SE
'19 Infiniti QX50 FWD
'17 BMW 330e iPerformance

Whenever my life isn't frustrating enough to build up a good slow-burning rage, it's good to know that I can come to this thread and get one from MoD by proxy.

Curmudgeons of the world, unite already!

Dattebayo
Car: 2004 Frontier Desert Runner

I just got a S7 Active last week, and it's solid as hell. Big-a** battery, 3 whole days moderate use without a charge. I don't even see a huge drain difference when I compare the loudspeaker to using a headset for calls, weird! I hate how heavy it is, though. I feel like I'm carrying around a lead brick... The stock OS supports tethering, so all-in-all, I'm happy.
Also, this thing has been officially dropped from a 6 foot height to concrete, and it took it without dents at all. Apparently, they made this one with a inner screen and an outer screen cover that is part of the phone.

Seeing as how that would have helped my S6 Active survive (also a solid phone, but a little weaker from a performance and obviously structure), I can agree with that, even though it makes it alot thicker from front to back.

MinisterofDOOM
1961 Corvair Lakewood
1974 Unimog 404
1997 Pathfinder XE
2005 Lincoln LS8
Former:
1995 Q45t
1993 Maxima GXE
1995 Ranger XL 2.3
1984 Coupe DeVille

Scratch that. Black Axon 7 suddenly back in stock and $50 off with free 2-day shipping. I ordered one this morning and will be making use of T-Mobile's 14 day return policy on the LG. I'm getting more phone for less than half the price.

Bonus: ZTE is looking at releasing a pure Android option for the Axon 7. Might be lucky enough to end up with a new Nexus after all.

Dattebayo
Car: 2004 Frontier Desert Runner

Where is the link? I might get a mini as a backup phone...

szh
Car: 2018 Tesla Model 3.

Unfortunately, no longer a Nissan or Infiniti, but continuing here at NICO!

You can still get a new (old-stock) Motorola Google Nexus 6 on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Motorola-Nexus-C ... ds=Nexus+6 for around $325 or so.

I have one of these phones and like it a lot too!

They also have the Hyundai version of the Nexus 6P there too: https://www.amazon.com/Huawei-Nexus-H15 ... s=Nexus+6P ... this should be comparable to the Nexus 6, but costs a bit more since it was a later generation.

Z

MinisterofDOOM
1961 Corvair Lakewood
1974 Unimog 404
1997 Pathfinder XE
2005 Lincoln LS8
Former:
1995 Q45t
1993 Maxima GXE
1995 Ranger XL 2.3
1984 Coupe DeVille

I considered ordering a new-in-box N6 from Amazon, but for the pricepoint, I have a hard time buying a 2-year-old phone, even if it is excellent.
The fact that Google has officially ended software update support for the Nexus 6 as of Nougat, combined with both my Nexus 6s having had noticeable 1-year battery life degradation means despite my fondness for the phone, it's not really an option now. I need something new, with at least a couple years of software support in the pipeline.

I'm also looking for something with a fingerprint scanner--this is the single feature the N6 lacks that I've found myself really wanting. Third-party support for authentication means things like Lastpass and banking apps are significantly more convenient with a fingerprint-enabled phone. It also means I can enable a true secure lockscreen without losing much convenience.

I am not interested in the 6P because of its Snapdragon 810. That was a disaster of a chip with bad performance and battery life. The 805 and 820 are much better chips. I also really dislike the form-factor of the 6P with the goofy camera strip at the top.

The V20 has been good, but the inferior IPS display is very noticeable after years with AMOLED. I also strongly dislike the rear-mounted power/lock button. It's fine for unlock, but locking the phone with the fingerprint sensor on the back is nowhere near as natural as using a right-side thumb button.
The biggest killer aside from the mediocre IPS display is the horrendous media speaker. It's a bottom-facing speaker that sound like an old Tiger Electronic device being played through aluminum foil. It echoes badly through the phone's body as well, causing a weird echo effect. It's also really quiet even on high volume, and that includes ringer and notification audio. I've missed this phone ringing a few times due to it being in a pocket (where the speaker faces down into cloth) or faced away from me on a table in a marginally noisy room. And my ringtones and notification sound clips sound muddy and garbled compared to what I am used to from the N6 (and even my prior N5 with downward-facing speaker).

I will definitely miss the removable battery, but with the ZTE's 2-year warranty and even out-of-warranty repair service (with deductible) including advance replacement shipping and free two-way shipping, I am a lot less worried about that than I am with the Nexus 6.

My Axon 7 should be here tomorrow. In the meantime, I'm trying my damnedest to let the V20 convince me to keep it. One of these phones is going back to the manufacturer in a week; it's just up to the phones to decide which it'll be.

szh

Yeah, the Axon 7 does look pretty good - does it do Android updates often like the Google Nexus though?

Their web site has a sale on it for a few days (for $349) and it includes a case and USB-C charging cable: https://www.zteusa.com/axon-7

Z

MinisterofDOOM
1961 Corvair Lakewood
1974 Unimog 404
1997 Pathfinder XE
2005 Lincoln LS8
Former:
1995 Q45t
1993 Maxima GXE
1995 Ranger XL 2.3
1984 Coupe DeVille

Yep, I snagged one for that price. They went from completely unavailable and on backorder indefinitely to suddenly available on-sale for $50 from every retailer on earth. Mine's in transit to arrive tomorrow.

ZTE has a better reputation than most for frequent android updates, and seem to stick to the bimonthly security updates fairly consistently. My N6 wouldn't take OTAs anway due to root (anything non-stock on the system partition will cause the update to fail to avoid conflicts) so what I'm mainly looking for is the ability to move to major version updates when desired, even if I have to do it manually (as I did with the N6). Nougat is expected to hit in January, which is admittedly later than I'd like. But they're also talking about doing a pure-android release, which may speed up the release timetable for those who want to go that route (less need to polish and test updates since all they're really testing is device compatibility rather than feature/patch testing per-device).

szh

I'll be curious to see which phone you end up keeping! :yesnod Let us know ...

Z

MinisterofDOOM
1961 Corvair Lakewood
1974 Unimog 404
1997 Pathfinder XE
2005 Lincoln LS8
Former:
1995 Q45t
1993 Maxima GXE
1995 Ranger XL 2.3
1984 Coupe DeVille

Another big complaint about the V20:
It's SERIOUSLY over-compresses images over MMS. I never had any trouble sending full-resolution MMS images with any of my previous phones (at least the last few Nexuses). But the V20 makes even big text nearly unreadable. This is not configurable. I originally thought this was a carrier-tweak (since I have a T-mobile version of the V20) but I'm seeing reports of this issue on V20s on other carriers (and unlocked). Big deal-breaker for me, as I use MMS a lot for more than just memes. I seriously hope the Axon 7 doesn't have this issue.

MinisterofDOOM
1961 Corvair Lakewood
1974 Unimog 404
1997 Pathfinder XE
2005 Lincoln LS8
Former:
1995 Q45t
1993 Maxima GXE
1995 Ranger XL 2.3
1984 Coupe DeVille

Axon 7 is here. Initial thoughts:

Seriously impressive. In general, I like it better than the V20, which is (despite my pickiness) a phenomenal phone.
The AMOLED screen is a huge improvement.
The unibody design feels a lot nicer in-hand and I prefer the little extra heft of the Axon 7.
The volume and power buttons are much better placed, and the fingerprint reader is as well.
I was a little nervous about the capacitive buttons at first, but I think I like them more as they free up screen space without looking monumentally tacky like Samsung's implementation. They are not backlit, which reviewers hate but I am fine with.
MiFavor is vastly superior to LG's android skin. It's much closer to stock while still retaining a lot of customization enhancements. It's nicer to look at, nicer to use, and seems more polished all around (ignoring some occasional weird translations).
While I quite like the in-hand feel of the very square V20, the Axon 7's curves have a nice fit to them as well. I don't know that I prefer either; they're both great.
The Axon 7's stereo speakers are superb. Way better than any other phone I've ever listened to. And headphones (either bluetooth or wired) sound excellent as well. This is a HUGE step up from the V20, which brags about its quad DAC but then wastes that hardware on a single crappy side-firing speaker. The included JBL earbuds are decent enough to show off the superior audio even if they're nowhere near audiophile caliber.
I like the Axon 7's gesture input options much better than the unconfigurable volume-button double-tap shortcuts on the V20. The ZTE's gestures aren't configurable, either, but they're more natural and real-world useful than "down twice for camera or up twice for random bizarre note-taking app". The caveat being I can't get the camera launch shortcut to work on the ZTE for some reason.
The Axon 7 has a really robust built-in battery management utility that seems to manage battery without crippling apps. Combined with the big ol 3250 mAh battery and AMOLED display, I expect great battery life.
Axon 7 also reports back on freed RAM when clearing background apps through the multitasking button--something I think many people will misunderstand as RAM is a confusing concept to a lot of people for some reason, but which I appreciate as a general indicator of system load.
Rolling back to 6.0.1 Android, I miss the more robust in-line actionable notifications and ability to mute any notification without completely hiding it.

szh

Thanks!

How would you rank it compared to the Nexus 6?

Z

MinisterofDOOM
1961 Corvair Lakewood
1974 Unimog 404
1997 Pathfinder XE
2005 Lincoln LS8
Former:
1995 Q45t
1993 Maxima GXE
1995 Ranger XL 2.3
1984 Coupe DeVille

Compares favorably to the Nexus 6. The biggest differentiating factor is the lack of stock Android. Otherwise, everything the Nexus 6 did, the Axon 7 does as well or better. The screen is slightly smaller, but a much better amoled panel: brighter, with better color reproduction. And you get that fingerprint scanner and the micro sd slot.

szh

MinisterofDOOM wrote:Compares favorably to the Nexus 6. The biggest differentiating factor is the lack of stock Android. Otherwise, everything the Nexus 6 did, the Axon 7 does as well or better. The screen is slightly smaller, but a much better amoled panel: brighter, with better color reproduction. And you get that fingerprint scanner and the micro sd slot.
Cool, thanks!

Looks like an option (price is right) if my Nexus 6 dies ... I removed the insurance on it a few months ago. Company paid, but wasn't worth it anymore! So, if I drop or break it somehow, I would need a replacement.

Z

MinisterofDOOM
1961 Corvair Lakewood
1974 Unimog 404
1997 Pathfinder XE
2005 Lincoln LS8
Former:
1995 Q45t
1993 Maxima GXE
1995 Ranger XL 2.3
1984 Coupe DeVille

Very extensive final conclusion:
smartphones-comparo-lg-v20-vs-zte-axon- ... 12486.html

(Spoilers: I returned the V20 today.)

MinisterofDOOM
1961 Corvair Lakewood
1974 Unimog 404
1997 Pathfinder XE
2005 Lincoln LS8
Former:
1995 Q45t
1993 Maxima GXE
1995 Ranger XL 2.3
1984 Coupe DeVille

Another review. This one unexpected:
sony-mdr-1000x-noise-cancelling-over-ea ... 12527.html

numbnuts240
Car: 1999 exploder 4-door 5-speed, 1974 fairlady z 250gt, 2011 ford focus, 2010 mazda3

first: :spitout: :lolling: :rotfl
second: that roo is effing jacked

float_6969
Car: CA18DET swapped 1995 Nissan 240sx (too many mods to list)
2015 SV Leaf w/QC & Bose (daily)

First time I've seen the whole video. The clip of the kangaroo getting punched is all over FB. Still funny every time I see it.

MinisterofDOOM
1961 Corvair Lakewood
1974 Unimog 404
1997 Pathfinder XE
2005 Lincoln LS8
Former:
1995 Q45t
1993 Maxima GXE
1995 Ranger XL 2.3
1984 Coupe DeVille

I've been seeing that video all over, and I haven't tired of it yet. The stunned reaction of the 'roo is amazing.

MinisterofDOOM
1961 Corvair Lakewood
1974 Unimog 404
1997 Pathfinder XE
2005 Lincoln LS8
Former:
1995 Q45t
1993 Maxima GXE
1995 Ranger XL 2.3
1984 Coupe DeVille

I GOT MY CAR BAAAAAAAAAAAAAACCCCCCCCKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK!!!!!!!!

I haven't stopped grinning for hours.
It feels WONDERFUL to have torque on-tap again.
The LS8 makes more torque in 4th gear at 1000rpm than the Ram did at 4000rpm in 1st. 0-40 feels like it happens in 1/3 the time.
Damn this car feels tiny after weeks in an extended cab truck, though. The steering wheel is RIGHT THERE. And tiny.

Finally got the new winter wheels and tires on. I think I like the 5-spokes a LOT better than the 7s.

Stock 7 spokes:

5 spokes (also factory LS8 wheels, but from the lesser non-sport V8 trims).

Oh, and yes, my passenger mirror is missing. I have a grey one from the junkyard, but it's missing the puddle light, so I'll have to buy a new one. A spectacularly inanttentive and confused Acura driver ran me off the road and into the orange barrels in a construction zone and I clipped one with the mirror trying not to die. Two days before I dropped my car off for this whole effing bodywork fiasco.

MinisterofDOOM
1961 Corvair Lakewood
1974 Unimog 404
1997 Pathfinder XE
2005 Lincoln LS8
Former:
1995 Q45t
1993 Maxima GXE
1995 Ranger XL 2.3
1984 Coupe DeVille

Annnnnnnd

They f*** it up again.

They forgot to replace a ton of trim pieces, and didn't put ANY of the fasteners back in the passenger door panel. They also BROKE and did not fix a trim piece on that same passenger door panel.

I'm so mad there's not enough profanity in all the languages of humanity to cover it. I called their corporate office and lodged an official complaint, and told them every step of the way I've been convinced I couldn't be more disappointed, only to be proven wrong by orders of magnitude each time. I don't know whether they're overworked or have a bunch of new guys or they just don't give a s***, but they screwed up BASIC STUFF at every possible opportunity. There was not one thing they did right the first time, and plenty they never got right at all.
The best part is that when I've brought up legitimate complaints before, they've IMMEDIATELY become defensive and acted like everything was perfectly fine. So my next conversation is going to open with an invitation to STFU, listen, apologize, and make it right. I will not accept any other outcome and I'm not interested in debating my way there. The general manager has already showed he doesn't give a flying s***, so maybe his boss's boss will scare some sense into his apathetic a**.

First rule of customer service:
When a customer has a legitimate complaint, you listen IN PERSON intently and commit to correct it.
You DO NOT send a helpless clerical worker to tell the customer there's nothing you can do because it's not your fault (especially when it IS YOUR f*** FAULT GODDAMMIT).

I need to see a VERY earnest desire to make up for all their ineptitude or my next step is going to be using all the resources I can find to DEMOLISH their reputation.

Best part? I WAS strongly considering having them do some minor paintwork, as well as buying a new passenger mirror and having the paint done at their shop. NOT ANYMORE. I even had their appraiser quote me for the work. Would have been $600-700 bucks easily. Guess who's not getting that business anymore?

I'm so mad I could rant for hours and not even begin to run out of steam.

float_6969

It seems like getting good body work done is hard to do anymore. I hear about stuff like this a lot.

frapjap
Car: '99 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am
'07 Subaru Legacy

That body shop blows, man.

I've only seen two good ones since I've been in cars. Most just push them in and back out the doors. Can you get the car out of there and go somewhere else?

numbnuts240
Car: 1999 exploder 4-door 5-speed, 1974 fairlady z 250gt, 2011 ford focus, 2010 mazda3

what do you do with a fall pumpkin that hasn't begun to rot? get a 6-pack, rummage through the garage for supplies and start crafting!

i give you, pumpkin claus

float_6969

LMFAO!

Bubba1
Car: 2003 Nissan 350z
2008 Acura TSX
2008 Toyota Corolla S
2001 Toyota Avalon XLS

Clever. it was also nice you didn't to "squash" it after Halloween.

MinisterofDOOM
1961 Corvair Lakewood
1974 Unimog 404
1997 Pathfinder XE
2005 Lincoln LS8
Former:
1995 Q45t
1993 Maxima GXE
1995 Ranger XL 2.3
1984 Coupe DeVille

Oh man.

This Saturn I'm trying to sell.
I was just about to list it but discovered that for some reason the battery wouldn't hold a charge for more than 12 hours. I figured I'd better get that figured out because explaining why someone should buy a car that won't start after sitting overnight is not an appealing prospect.

The battery is less than 6 months old and a high-end Die Hard Gold. Electrolyte is fine. Takes a full charge without issue.
I thought it was the fact that I let it sit in the cold for a couple weeks, but even after several full charge cycles, it would do the same thing: 12.5 volts, car starts, leave it sitting for a few hours, car doesn't start, 4.5 volts.
Even though I have a strong electrical and electronics background, the list of things I hate more than troubleshooting electrical issues in cars is very very short. Maybe single-digit short. But I dove in. I checked everything.
Then I put some things together and figured it out. Every time I attached a battery charger/jump pack, the doors would IMMEDIATELY lock. I thought maybe it was some insane GM security feature: keep people from bypassing the alarm by pulling battery power because they'd be locked out.
Turns out one of the power lock switches no longer returns to its neutral position, so it was resting in the "lock" position constantly. I'd charge the battery, test voltage, think everything was okay, and then walk away, and the lock actuators would draw constant current until they drained the battery. Then I'd come back and find a dead battery and a car that wouldn't crank.

So I carefully reset the switch to the center position, listening for the actuators to release. So far, it's been 24 hours and it still has a full charge.

My job and my hobby are both probably 80% troubleshooting, and people ask me how I'm so good at it. The real answer: I just try EVERYTHING POSSIBLE even if it makes no f*** sense until I find the answer. After decades of doing that, apparently one gets pretty good at trying the right things before running out of ideas. Who would have thought to check the door locks? Not me. Still not sure how I noticed the stupid broken switch. Glad I did. I could be out there piled in wire harness cursing loudly and putting a multimeter on everything in sight hoping to somehow get lucky and find the answer. There's no skill in this. Just luck and habit.

I fixed a freaking SMS issue on my cell phone by disabling VoLTE. The two are not connected. I just thought I should try it. It worked. T-mobile asked me why the Hell I thought to try that. I told them I had already tried everything else, so why not that? Best part: I can't leave well enough alone, so I switched the SIM card to the other slot (dual SIM phone) and the problem vanished. SMS and VoLTE. Manufacturer and T-mobile are both baffled. I'm just glad I'm good enough at pretending to problem-solve that I actually managed to fix the damn thing.

float_6969

Is the door switch still available? That's a good one though. Would have been tough to figure out. I'm the same way with trouble shooting. It's all I've done for the last 20 years for a living and a hobby. I tell people the same thing. You just kind of get a feel for what's going to fix it. I don't always even have a good answer for why I thought to check whatever-it-was, I just did.

numbnuts240

i absolutely love when i've completely exhausted every probable and logical solution to a problem, only to try something way out of left field and it works.

Return to “General Chat”