Leaky Sunroof !

Discussion of Infiniti's amazing (and underrated) sport-luxury crossovers, the EX35 and EX37. For 2014, the EX series will be renamed QX50, in line with Ininfiit's new naming conventions.
rontek
Car: Had -2008 Infiniti EX35 Now - 2009 Infiniti FX50S

Great ! Thanks for the update ! Please keep me informed if there is any change in status. Not that I am wishing bad luck on anyone, I just want to keep track of any other issues.

Thanks Again,

Ron

EXceptional
Car: 2008 Aspen Pearl EX35 Freakin Loaded!

This is absolute CRAP.

I've handwashed my Wife's EX35 since we picked it up... and we have not seen any signs of leakage, yet.

The thought that it CAN leak, is disturbing.

rontek

My point EXACTLY ! Maybe you will not have any trouble, but keep an eye on it.

Thanks,

Ron

sluday
Car: 2008 EX35 AWD Journey Moonlight-nav-premium-tech-lux

I was wondering if the leaky roof has something to do with the roof rail installation. maybe the rails are bolted on too tight and has lifted or warped the roof to create a gap in the moonroof? Does you car have roof rails?

rontek

Actually mine does NOT have rails or a rack at all. I ordered specifically without them. I am not sure about the others having issues, but thanks for the idea!

Thanks,

Ron

Riker2k
Car: 2008 Infiniti EX35

Hi folks,

So this is my first post but am very interested in this topic as I just purchased my EX on June 16th, 2008 and about 5 days ago I experienced the leaky sunroof a few of you are talking about. Another name for the list I guess...

Mine doesn't leak badly, and only when it rains hard; haven't tried an automated carwash yet though. Exactly as Ron commented it leaks at the back of the roof.

I've scheduled a time with the dealer to look at it and then figure out what to do. I'll keep you all posted.

As a note, my sales rep did mention they had a service bulletin out for "sedan" sunroof leaks (I believe he said last year) but nothing on the EX as far as he knew.

Not very happy about the roof problem but love the car otherwise.

ColinOttawa, Ontario, Canada

dividedhighw
Car: 2008 EX35 AWD (Technology Pkg)

rontek wrote:My EX was March 08 production as well. Ron
Hey Ron ... how can I tell the production date on my EX?

TIA,David

rontek

Hi Colin,

Thanks for the information. Please keep us posted with the response from your dealership. I have added your info to my list, if you need a copy, just shho me an e-mail, and I can send it off to you. That goes for anyone else too !

Good Luck !

Ron

rontek

When you open the drivers door, there is a label on the lower right of the frame. It has the production date in the upper left of the label. Month and Year.

dividedhighw

Thanks! (Mine is Jan 2008)

Love your avatar, BTW!

My sunroof hasn't leaked during heavy rains, but I haven't taken it through any sort of automated wash as yet. If/when I do, I'll keep you posted.

I feel for you because I've found the people staffing the Infiniti toll-free number in Canada, absolutely NO help at all (I'm actually about to write a letter detailing the abysmal service and even worse attitude). I dread having to jump into this myself, but if/when it comes, I'll be all in ... in the meantime, hold fast.

Cheers,David
Modified by dividedhighw at 8:23 PM 7/16/2008

rontek

Thanks for the support . It is greatly appreciated.

Ron

Glad you like the Avatar ~

sluday
Car: 2008 EX35 AWD Journey Moonlight-nav-premium-tech-lux

I just hand washed my EX today and I soaked the moon roof with water on purpose and I still had no leaks. I was looking at the roof and it seems to be a little lower than the roof line and a little water pools up there. Do you think your problem could be that the roof is not fully shut? It may be just a couple milameters off. In older cars there used to be a manual crank that you could use near the motor that would open and close the roof if the motor went bad. Maybe you just need a half of crank to tighten the roof when closed.

EXceptional
Car: 2008 Aspen Pearl EX35 Freakin Loaded!

Mmmmmm...

As mentioned before, I haven't had any leaks either... and I only hand wash as well !

We've had a lot of Rain here in the past while... and no leaks either when we're cruising around !

Maybe it has something to do with the color "White" ? Lucky us !

Nice Avatar, sluday... I mentioned to the Admins a few weeks ago, that I'd like to see some Infiniti EX35 Avatars... and lo and behold a White one appears.

Charisma

Well Ron, you can add me to your list. I was hoping I would manage to avoid this problem.

rontek

I am sorry to hear it. If you want to send me the name, city and state of your dealership, I will add the info to my list. Also, let me know if you report the issue, and the dealerships repair attempts or response would be helpful. I can send you a copy of what I have so far as well if you like. Just let me know.

Thanks and good luck.

Ron

Riker2k

Hi All,

So, I had my car in for service of the leaky sunroof (and humming at startup) yesterday.

Good news is that the dealer didn't blow me off or say it was normal. They had the car for the day and the Service Manager called to say it was ready and explained at what they had done to the sunroof. He said that they adjusted the sunroof to the correct position and fixed a "piece of metal" that was bowed in the wrong direction at the back of the roof. Apparently the metal guides the water to drains in the roof and it was bent in the wrong direction so the water wasn't draining properly. He said that the roofs aren't air tight and so water is actually meant to get by the seal but the drains are meant to keep the water out of the car.

The service invoice description of repair says:

INSPECT, FOUND REAR OF SUNROOF SITTING LOW. ADJ. SUNROOF UP TO CORRECT POSITION. CLEAN AND LUBE SUNROOF SEAL. ADJ. REAR WATER TROUGH TO CORRECT BOWED DOWN. CORRECTED POSITION ALLOWS WATER TO FLOW TO SIDE DRAINS. DUMPED WATER ON ROOF TO VERIFY LEAK CORRECTED. CUST TO MONITOR.

I can say that I noticed a height gap difference between the rear of the sunroof and the actual roof of about 1/4" (give or take) when I took the car in. After I picked it up the rear of the sunroof is almost perfectly in line with the actual roof now. Not sure if they would have noticed the gap if I hadn't mentioned it when I dropped the car off. Funny part is that I looked at the sunroofs of 3 or 4 new EXs on the lot and they all seem to have that gap.

It's rained here this afternoon so hopefully I'll have good news to share when I leave the office and can check for leakage.

I have no idea whether the drain explanation is true or not but I suppose it seems to make sense.

As a note, the build date on my EX is Nov 2007.

Hope that helps someone and I'll provide an update after I've had a chance to get it wet!!!

Cheers,

ColinOttawa, ON

sublime1017
Car: ex35 journey with nav and premium package. RWD

Great feedback Riker2k on both issues! Will be bringing in my ex to the dealership next week. Thanks so much!

Riker2k

I'm just glad to help. My comments to the dealer about hearing of the leaky sunroof issue online seemed to catch them off-guard. Hopefully it made them work a little harder...

Let us know how it turns out for you as well!

Colin

dividedhighw

Great write-up Colin!! From your description, I'm guessing you had this done at Tony Graham Infiniti?

BTW, my sunroof hasn't leaked but I just checked it and at the rear, it is lower than the roof itself by about 1/8". Do you think I should get this adjusted?

TIA,David

morning_glory
Car: EX35

Went to Non Contact Car wash for the 1st time yesterday and guess what?...I got that leaky sunroof problem...I called my dealer and he said he was very surprized about this.I gave him this forums web site url....

Anyway they suggest to replace the sunroof.

Don't like this...

rontek

FYI - I am up to 14 Vehicles with leaks reported at this point.

Riker2k

dividedhighw wrote:Great write-up Colin!! From your description, I'm guessing you had this done at Tony Graham Infiniti?

BTW, my sunroof hasn't leaked but I just checked it and at the rear, it is lower than the roof itself by about 1/8". Do you think I should get this adjusted?

TIA,David
Yes, it was serviced at Tony Graham in Bells Corners. Overall I'm fairly happy with the dealer, at least so far.

Not sure whether it's worth getting your roof adjusted or not. From what I read here it seems that other dealers seems to be replacing the roofs when they leak rather than making adjustments.

The adjustment on mine (as far as height goes) was immediately noticeable when I picked up the car but, like I said, mine was closer to 1/4". I can't imagine that it would hurt to have it adjusted but, as they say, if it ain't broke...

A general, small update on my end; it rained yesterday afternoon and I'm happy to report no actual water on the seats / armrest. The sponge strip at the back of the roof (on the inside) seemed damp but maybe that's what it's for??? Definitely no water anywhere in the car though. Hard to say if it's "fixed" because it didn't rain very hard. I'm tempted to try a car-wash but that seems to be where things go badly... Considering I don't even have 1000km on the car yet I'm still attached to the pristine interior.

Anyhow, that's the latest. More updates as they unfold.

Colin

rontek

Thanks for the updates Colin. Please keep us posted !

Ron

Riker2k

Hi folks,

Well, after some fairly decent heavy rains here in Ottawa I feel like there's been enough water over my roof to comment on the situation.

Good news - it appears that the leaking has effectively stopped. Two VERY heavy rains have now come and gone and not water in the vehicle. One of the storms lasted a good 2.5 hours and dry afterwards.

I do *feel* like there's a little dampness on the sponge strip near the back of the roof but I honestly can't tell if it's the material that it is made of just feels that way or it's wet. I know that sounds crazy but check the strip when you get a second and see if it feels that way to you...

So, overall I'm feeling good about the dealers adjustment. Almost tempted to try a carwash to see what happens...

Anyone else having success or continued problems??? Haven't seen any other updates so I'm curious as to what's happening with everyone. Or does it only rain here...

Colin

rontek

Hi Colin . I am glad the "adjustments" appear to have resolved your problem. I never experienced leaks in the rain, ONLY in the car wash, but it still was not acceptable to me. As for the foam rubber strip, mine too appeared to be wet, only when the leaking occurred. Never in the rain or otherwise. That too was one of my concerns, that eventially it would deteriorate after continually becoming "wet" and "dry" . I am not sure exactly what the purpose of that strip is as it does not appear to cushion anything when the glass is shut. Maybe thats a good question for the service dept to answer. Thank you for your continued updates. It is greatly appreciated.

Ron

Riker2k

I'm gonna have to bite the bullet and take my car through a car wash, aren't I?

sublime1017

Ok, we had a heavy rain today and I can say that my sunroof does leak! So as far as my vehicle is concerned, this isn't just a high pressure wash problem. I am so pissed. The water was in the front area where the glass meets the foam and in the same place in the rear section of the sunroof. I have subsequently booked an appointment for next Wed with my dealer. I will be bringing Collin's feedback with me in hopes this addresses the issue. Will keep everyone posted when I get my car back. The only good news, I guess, is that the water didn't get inside the car when I have the sunroof visor (or whatever you call it) covering the glass. For now, I have to keep a towel in my car to absorb the water, but obviously, who wants to have to run outside to their car after a heavy rain to deal with this issue!!!
Modified by sublime1017 at 9:23 PM 7/23/2008

rontek

Very sorry to hear your experience. Please let me know if you need any of the data I have collected so far. Infiniti HAS to begin acknowledging they have an issue here and not a series of unrelated isolated incidents.

Good Luck !

Ron

Riker2k

sublime1017 wrote:Ok, we had a heavy rain today and I can say that my sunroof does leak! So as far as my vehicle is concerned, this isn't just a high pressure wash problem. I am so pissed. The water was in the front area where the glass meets the foam and in the same place in the rear section of the sunroof. I have subsequently booked an appointment for next Wed with my dealer. I will be bringing Collin's feedback with me in hopes this addresses the issue. Will keep everyone posted when I get my car back. The only good news, I guess, is that the water didn't get inside the car when I have the sunroof visor (or whatever you call it) covering the glass. For now, I have to keep a towel in my car to absorb the water, but obviously, who wants to have to run outside to their car after a heavy rain to deal with this issue!!!

Modified by sublime1017 at 9:23 PM 7/23/2008
Hi folks,

Really sorry to hear about that sublime. I know I was pretty upset when it happened to me as well. Especially on a car that had less than 500 Kms on it... (I know, us Canadians and our metric!)

For what it's worth, after yet another HUGE rain yesterday (and it was pouring down like a low-powered pressure washer) my car was water free!!!

I'm inclined to think that my dealer actually did manage to fix the problem (at least in my case) with a simple adjustment.

Does your roof have the slight gap at the back between the glass and the roof too?

Hope they get it resolved for you ASAP!

sublime1017

Glad to hear your issue seems to be resolved Collin! I hope I have a similar result! Yes, there is a slight gap between the glass and the roof.

Return to “Infiniti EX35 / EX37 and QX50 / QX55 Forum”