Leaf Performance Boost?

The web's first forum dedicated to Nissan's groundbreaking electric car, the Nissan Leaf.
WDRacing
Car: 95 240SX, 99 BMW 540i, 01 Chevy Express, 14 Ford Escape

I know it goes against the grain a bit, but I'm wondering if it's possible to extract more power from the electrical system of the leaf, albeit in short bursts with the expected charging requirements to follow. I love the idea of a silent, zippy little street rocket to head up to the beer store or pick up my kids at school. It would be a refreshing change from my "loud-as-hell" 240 or my yacht like Caravan :biggrin:

float_6969
Car: CA18DET swapped 1995 Nissan 240sx (too many mods to list)
2015 SV Leaf w/QC & Bose (daily)

The LEAF will have an ECU to control the engine output, although it will be much more simple than what is in a modern ICE. I would imagine that "tweaking it" just like we've done with our current ECU's should be possible.

themadscientist
Car: R32 GTR, DR30 RS Turbo, BRZ, Lunchbox, NSR50 Sportster 883 Iron
Location: Staring down at you with disdain from the spooky mountaintop castle.

I would expect there are certain questions which must be answered.

1. What can the motor handle?
Short bursts should not be too much of a problem.

2. Same question for the pack.
If the pack can't push the amps you have the EV equivalent of a restrictive intake.

3. How curmudgeonly is the ECU?
I suspect the ECU will be complex, but only for necessity, not purposefully to stymie you. I doubt Nissan expects Leaf owners to "feel the need" so are not likely to erect electronic barriers like the GT-R.

Return to “Leaf Forum”