krash's vert

The Internet's ONLY forum for 240sx convertible information and the official home of the 240sx Convertible Club of America!
Sittinsidewayz420
Car: 93 Nissan 240SX Convertible

ill post pics and maybe even start up a build thread of my own just to give u an idea of whats underneath the hood.

krash
Car: 1993 Nissan 240sx Convertible

Well, I guess its time for an update.

I rebuilt the head on the engine and got it all installed. Then I found out there was a rod knock :cry: . I was running around for a good week trying to figure out what to do. I bought new bearings but this would be a first for me. I didn't want to see the car sitting useless while I figured out how to install the rod bearings properly. Well, fate has it that my sister's vert has turned into somewhat of a project for her thats waiting funds. She daily drives a jeep now, so she graciously offered to let me use her engine while I get things together. Not thinking twice, I pulled her motor and shoved it in my car. My engine now resides on an engine stand, waiting for some attention.

After I got it on the road, I decided it was time to get some tires for the wheels that I bought. I got the XXR 527's and I was really anxious to see them on the car. Again I stumbled upon more unknown areas for me, picking tire sizes out. After weeks and weeks of reading, googleing, researching, asking around (thanks 94_240sx, Greg, and Simmode1), I settled on some 215/45/17 Nitto NeoGen's. This being my first ever tire upgrade, I wanted to make sure that I'd clear my struts, which I in fact did. Now that I look at it, I could fit 225s with no problem all around. When I get coilovers and adjustable arms, I'd like 235s up front and 245's in the rear.

Got the tires mounted and took a ride up to Ocean City with a few friends and stayed there for a week. The car's been great. She has her quirks here and there (burning some oil, starting problems, TPS issue), but she runs very well. Other than all that, I got a touchscreen Kenwood indash unit on ebay for dirt cheap, and some s14 seats. She won't be seeing mods probably until next spring/summer since the new school semester is starting, but I'm quite content with how she's sitting right now.

All right I've talked enough, here's some pics from Ocean City:

Last edited by krash on Sat May 05, 2012 8:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Eikon
Car: 71 240z, 93 Supra TT

Looking awesome!!!

krash

Thank you sir!

Eikon
Car: 71 240z, 93 Supra TT

It's really amazing what a difference a nice set of wheels make. Really sharp!

krash

Yea man, it really transformed my whole car. Handling is greatly improved as well. I had some really bald 205s on there before, so no doubt it improved handling :rotfl

krash

Just had a bit of an adventure tonight. I was on the highway to drop a friend off at home. Because of the power outages from the recent storm, some of the lights on the highway were out. Being in the front of the "pack" I switched on my high beams to do myself, and everyone behind me, a favor. This dude in a 2009 Camry flies by me and then gets in front of me (he didn't cut me off). So I switched off my high beams. I guess the dude thought I flashed him because he got really aggressive. He slowed all the way down so I tried to get around him and as I was doing that, he'd try to run into my car.

So I hit the brakes, got behind him, and tried to pass on the other side (keep in mind the speed limit here is 55mph). He tried to hit me again, but this time I was successful in passing him. He immediately pumped his high beams and began tailing me like crazy. I didn't want anything to do with this situation, so I downshifted and hit it.

I hit 100mph, and he was still following me very aggressively, I let him start to pass me on the left and then I slowed down, hoping to get him in front of me so I could exit without him knowing, but he also hit his brakes and tried to hit my car again. I'm not going to lie, at this point I was kind of scared. For all I know some meat-head with roid rage and a pistol was trying to kill me (I'm quite negative in these situations).

I said a quick prayer, told Kate (my car) that its time to wake up, and really hit it this time. Roid-Rage Camry Driver followed suit. I hit 100mph again on a straight and started revving my engine loudly at the local police hideouts to attract some attention, no luck. There was a little shopping center to my right, so I slowed down, popped it in second and got off the highway. I could hear the fat Camry squealing tires behind me, trying to follow me through the turns.

I realized this dude was really trying to follow me to the end. Lucky for me, the power in the area I had just turned into was out. I knew the roads well, and Steroid-Camry-Man was still behind me trying to kill me, so I clicked all my lights off and went at it. Hard left, hard right, full power on a straight, hard right again. I avoided using the brake so I wouldn't give away my location, because I could see his high beams slowly getting dimmer. One more hard left and I screeched into the parking lot of a populated target.

At this point I knew I had lost him, my friend confirmed that we'd lost him 2 streets down the road. This was by far the scariest experience I've had while driving on the roads. This was also the hardest I've pushed my car on populated roads. Had there been more traffic, I could have easily slipped away, but there weren't to many cars on the road so my choices were few. Kate listened to my every input and command without hesitation. No loss of traction, no fear of losing control, no problems accelerating. She did what I told her to do, and what needed to be done.

Maybe I was too drastic in my actions, but I didn't know what else to do. Like I said, this was the scariest road situation I've ever had to deal with. Sure it was probably just some dude trying to piss me off, but after he tried to run me off the road 3 times, I didn't want to chance it, especially with a passenger. Luckily, my knowledge of the technicals of racing (thanks to you guys actually), cars, and the little auto-x experience that I have gave me a little advantage in my escape.

So thats my story for tonight. Kate did good, I'm very pleased with where the car is right now. Annnnd heres a picture for good luck:

krash

I got a bit of money from fixing my uncles car, so I got some s00p3r JDm TytE lug nuts. Really though, the Vatozone ones that are currently holding my wheels on got rusted on the first day. So I got some nice Muteki ones.

As I was searching for lug nuts, I noticed people were dropping large amounts of money for lightweight lug nuts. Really? A few grams that close to the axis of rotation does not seem worth it. I feel like a good ol' run on the treadmill would yeild similar results.

I also fixed the shift knob my girlfriend bought me.

I dunno if you can tell, I'm a fan of orange :cool:

its one of those universal ones that have no threading, just three screws that you tighten onto the shifter stalk. Well that method of mounting SUCKS. So I cannibalized the threaded insert from a Razo shift knob a friend gave me and whaddya know, if fit perfectly.

Just waiting for the glue to cure so I can use it. I guess this means I have to fix my center console and make a shift boot now.

PANDAemic
Car: 89 S13 Hatch CA18DET

Looking good! Love the rims on your convertable.

PyR0NiAk
Car: S13 SR W/ T2 GT3071R .86AR, JWT S4 Cams, 810cc Injectors,Z32 MAF, JWT tuned ECU 87mm 9:1 Compression CP pistons, Manley Rods

Did you test fit the knob to make sure it was going to face the right direction when threaded in?

krash

I didn't but only because of the way the razo knob was. You could keep tightening it and yes it would get tighter, but even when it was at its tightest you could slowly turn it more if you tried. That threaded insert is plastic. I can take some pics of the finished product today

PyR0NiAk
Car: S13 SR W/ T2 GT3071R .86AR, JWT S4 Cams, 810cc Injectors,Z32 MAF, JWT tuned ECU 87mm 9:1 Compression CP pistons, Manley Rods

krash wrote:I didn't but only because of the way the razo knob was. You could keep tightening it and yes it would get tighter, but even when it was at its tightest you could slowly turn it more if you tried. That threaded insert is plastic. I can take some pics of the finished product today
Looking forward to seeing it.

Here's mine...

krash

Is that the Duracon or whatever knob? That thing is sweet! My friend has one and it doesn't heat up in the sun that quickly.

Here's a picture of the NRG knob installed:

PyR0NiAk

krash wrote:Is that the Duracon or whatever knob? That thing is sweet! My friend has one and it doesn't heat up in the sun that quickly.

Here's a picture of the NRG knob installed:

Yeah, it's the Tomei Duracon Short. That orange looks nice...

krash

Thanks man! Makes for a good contrast in the interior combined with the amber gauge cluster lights

Sittinsidewayz420

quick question, what kind of steering hub do you use? i noticed u bought one from ebay and i recently did the same. It also gave me the BOSS steering hub but that thing is garbage, did u use it or buy another hub?

krash

I actually didn't use the ebay steering wheel at all. It was too small, felt cheap in my hands, and the "leather" was going to fade asap, so I toughed it out with my busted stock wheel and recently got a nice good condition stock wheel.

If you decide to use the ebay wheel, you can get an NRG hub or a MOMO hub or something similar. I like NRG solely because of the color choice :rotfl

Sittinsidewayz420

i dont mind that mines a bit small, helps me get into the car alot quicker lol. I might end up gettin the NRG hub for it. But for right now, i might tackle painting my valve cover :D

Miamibass
Car: 240sx
'91

I have the same wheels coming but going with 225 front and 245 rear. KYB shocks and springs also ordered. Did you have to roll your fenders?

krash

Nope, didn't have to roll anything. I would have had to if I was lower though

420sxWETDREAMS
Car: 1991 240sx Hatchback

Judas wrote:I painted my carpet in 2007, after that I had to paint it every summer :) It´s not a bad job to do every year, looks nice.

what steering wheel is this?

420sxWETDREAMS
Car: 1991 240sx Hatchback

Your car looks sexy.

Dattebayo
Car: 2004 Frontier Desert Runner

Hey, when did you get the touch screen installed? That looks nice...

krash

I got it sometime last year for like $300 on ebay! Its pretty cool, but it lags sometimes. I'm hoping to save up and replace it with an android tablet soon.

ALSO, some amazing driver ran into my car yesterday, while it was parked, and then drove away! I woke up and saw the damage and was beyond pissed. Then an ambulance driver saw me out side and told me that he saw it happen and that a white GMC yukon is what hit my car. Well I found peices of the GMC around my car. So okay, got a witness, evidence, and a make/model. My sister was driving around and actually found the car that hit mine. So we got his plate number are called the police, who gave us their info. I just made an insurance claim, so we'll see what happens.

Here's the car that hit it:

^Still has peices of my taillight on his car....

Well, someone is paying for this, and its not me! I'll keep you guys posted

Zeifer
Car: Winter: 2001 Chevy Crapalier
Summer: TBD '95 Nissan 240SX S14.5

Hope you got justice, bro!

Is it just me or does it seem like almost everyone around where you live is an ***hole driver?

Crazy Camry guy and then the white hit and run tank lol.

krash

Zeifer wrote:Hope you got justice, bro!

Is it just me or does it seem like almost everyone around where you live is an ***hole driver?

Crazy Camry guy and then the white hit and run tank lol.
Yea man, I live in Maryland near DC and VA. Its like a melting pot of d-bag and bad drivers.

Anyway, guess its time to update, huh? The driver of the yukon showed up to my house the next day. She was super apologetic. Her kid was having a pretty bad athsma attack and she was rushing him to the hospital in the snow (I live down the street from the hospital). So as soon as her kid was stabilizing she came over and sorted things out. Can't believe she actually came back, good people FTW!

I got about $2000 for the damage from the insurance, so thats pretty cool. My dad is going to add a bit on top to get the whole car painted as well, pretty boosted for that.
So I've been replacing dented panels and such. I got good doors and a new rear bumper as well as a tail light garnish. Need a new front bumper and hopefully I can find a new trunk lid and some clean front fenders too.

THEN, more surprises. It had gotten nice outside so I did a tune up, changed my oil and started the car. knockknockknockknockknock :squint: Yes, ANOTHER rod knock. WTF. So after some brainstorming and tossing some ideas around, I said you know what, I'm not going to go through this again.

So I bought some parts.

- ARP head studs
- Clevite rod/main bearings
- Eagle rods

Got some sweet new tools also:

Digital bore gauge and digital 3 - 4" micrometer

Doing a full rebuild. I need to take some measurements and blueprint the motor so I can take it to the machine shop and get the necessary work done. Already tore everything down:

After I get the machine work done, I can buy the rest of my parts:

- Wiseco pistons
- Felpro headgasket
- ARP main studs
- misc hoses etc
- Prosport Oil pres. gauge
- Prosport water temp. gauge

Its going to be N/A for a while so I can work out all the kinks. I'm also going to run a lightweight flywheel and an interesting intake setup. Its working out pretty cool because the motor that I'm rebuilding is the original motor that came with this car from the factory. She's getting her heart back.

After the motor is good and running, she can go to the body shop and get that damage fixed.

The next few months are going to be pretty cool, stay tuned!

Driftnaut
Car: 2005 Nissan Altima 2.5s

An updates?

krash

Only more bad news!

Some genius ran into my car while it was sitting in the driveway. I have some amazing luck:

It damaged the core support too

Good news is I was able to fix it on my own:

Just need to source some mint fenders before I can paint it all!

Engine is still getting rebuild, I bought some goodies that I should take picture of... :yesnod

Hijacker
Car: '92 240sx Convertible
'94 F-150

You need to put that car in a hermetic bubble

AZrolyat
Car: 1993 240sx convertible

Who woulda thought in front of your house is more dangerous then the actual roads are...

Return to “240SX Convertible Forum”