Kouki Type-X Cluster Wiring Help

ONLY for ADVANCED technical discussion about the 240sx!
White Comet
Car: fc, s13 and mazda6, Sierra

alright, did anybody else repin the subharness into maxima plugs. the wire pins seem to wide and dont really want to fit into the maxima plugs. any suggestions?

finalgear
Car: 91 240sx /90 240sx

yo get on aim wc

White Comet

logging on to aim now

White Comet

rofl, im at my parents and this is a new computer that doesnt have aim on it yet. im dl'ing it now

DreamN
Car: '93 240SX Coupe (TrackSlut)
'93 240SX 'Vert (DailySlut)

whowutwut wrote:I have my type x cluster hooked up and my fuel gauge does not read accurately. It moves but it is not accurate. With a full tank, the needle dos not point all the way to the top .

finalgear, can you fill up your tank and see what the fuel gauge reads? If anyone got their fuel gauge to work, please let us know!
I filled up my tank last night. Needed went completely to the top, even surpassed the full line a bit. A few minutes of driving and it settled evenly at the full line. Still don't know if it's completely accurate, but I'll be checking fuel consumption via the trip meter and see how many km it takes for the fuel light to come on (fuel light is functional btw :D).

DreamN

White Comet wrote:alright, did anybody else repin the subharness into maxima plugs. the wire pins seem to wide and dont really want to fit into the maxima plugs. any suggestions?
I used the Maxima harness and what I did was get two sets of harness. Used the middle plug that we don't need and cracked the sucker open to get to the terminals and wires. Next I opened up the plugs we do need (the plastic bits on top and bottom are removable, just pry them off carefully) and slid the terminals w/ wires in. Filled all the remaining spots and snapped everything back to together.

finalgear

DreamN wrote:
I used the Maxima harness and what I did was get two sets of harness. Used the middle plug that we don't need and cracked the sucker open to get to the terminals and wires. Next I opened up the plugs we do need (the plastic bits on top and bottom are removable, just pry them off carefully) and slid the terminals w/ wires in. Filled all the remaining spots and snapped everything back to together.
thats exactly what i did and the 3 wires that are not used i removed them from the plugs after i got everything wired up

DreamN

Well, I traveled around 90-100 miles today. The Trip Meter (A) read 268.6 which would be 170 miles. So it's obvious that I don't have an S14 Speed Sensor installed yet. Needle is just north of the 3/4 mark, I would say 13/16.

placham
Car: 1992 Geo Prizm (4AFE)---Gone
1990 Nissan 240sx Coupe (RB20DET powered),
1994 Toyota Celica GT (3SGTE swapped), 1995 Nissan 240sx KA24DE,
2011 Nissan Sentra SER Spec-V

I have been rocking this kouki gauge cluster for over a week now. Looks really good in day time too, like the red needles on it. It has trip A and B.

Looks like my fuel gauge read correctly, I still have to fill it up and see. I have a JDM sending unit, from some SR20DET, had to replace my old rusty one. I had to put in a Walbro fuel pump.

Now does anybody have problems with Tachometer, I have a RB20DET, it seems to be reading correctly, I see 1500RPM at cold start, but when warms up it drops to 1000RPM. This seems to be correct compared to my R32 cluster. Just want to get this out there, because it's weird. I thought I was going to have to change to R32 tachometer. (I dont know what motor you guys use this cluster with, but Rb20 seems to be working fine)

My speedo is way off, wracked up around 200kilometers on a 15mile trip LOL, I'm still looking around for a S14 VSS. **** is expensive new.

Got my temp sensor from my back-up 95 KA24DE, that I was going to use long time ago. RB20DET sensor think read faster temp, with this cluster, KA24DE seems to be correct.

Got my CEL light hooked up to cat light. X11

I did few things different, like X14, X23, X24, X26, X27, X28, are not connected, I even pulled out wires for these so their not hanging off, makes it look cleaner.

And my clock and odometer light-up when I put the key on to ACC and start, when I turn on lights (ILL) they stay on. (BY the way my clock light didn't work at first had to take it out, when I put it back in it started to work , DN) I hooked them up to ILL+, and ILL-, 2 wires coming from black plug on 240sx, think they'r. Red/Black is ILL-, and Red/Blue is ILL+ IIRC, hook them up to cluster when you look on back it will say ILL-, and ILL+ trace them back to plug and right terminals. X7 ILL+, and X15 instead of ground I went with ILL-, dont know if this makes a difference.

And yes Maxima plugs are a perfect fit for this cluster, You will need another 240sx cluster harness unless you want to cut your own. I cut them in half and soldered all the wires together, then threw-out extra wires from 240sx's plugs (white, black)

By the way plugs come from 4th gen Maxima made between 1995-1999 Or to be exact from like 6/94 to 5/99, you will have to cut them as they are wired into interior harness. Maxima uses 3 plugs (2 white, 1 brown) for cluster, I got all three, and with a rear red side marker for 240sx. I spent 7 bucks all together . I personally didn't care for wire color on maxima plugs, I tried to match 240sx wires with correct terminals on plug, and if I was missing a wire or didn't need it I just pulled it out. I used a small paper clip sharpend at the end to release wire terminal from plug.

I picked up my cluster from ebay for $54 shipped from Japan, plugs costed me about $3 , spare 240sx harness for about $15, about 3.5hours researching and actual making of harness. I'm a happy camper .

One more thing where can I get ( or what kind of wedge bulbs) are these on cluster. It seems to me that kouki cluster is kind of dim.

Hope this info helps others, and piles on to what you guys all ready have.

By the way thanks to all that have posted here with their info, I found it really helpful and informative.

Now onto my DCC, I still have to wire in.

finalgear

thanks alot and the bulbs you need for the cluster are #74

placham

One more thing, I'm trying to source a VSS from Japan, hope the price will be cheaper, than here in states.

My question is, would a S14 SR20DET VSS be same as SR20DE, both being manual trans??

Thanks.

finalgear

yea it will be the same

White Comet

they should be, but i cant say for sure

DreamN

should be exactly the same. If you can get them for cheap please share with us as a lot of us are still seeking the sensor. Dealership price is just insane though. Hell, even my local Autozone wants $120 + tax.

DreamN

So far my fuel gauge is okay. Traveled 160 miles or so and it's at about 5/8.

If anyone needs an S14 temp gauge sensor I can get them for $15 shipped.

Dark_Wave
Car: 240sx DiscoPotated S15 Steering+Seat

I dont post to often here, but i whant to thank everyone that post on my thread to help other with this cluster. A very special thank to MrFairlady that have found that the Maxima plug is the one that we all need. By the way, i did scrap my cluster trying to solder wire direc on the cluster... so dont ever try it... Thx agant to all.

SpeedRacer1
Car: 1990 240SX, G35

Ive been running this cluster for 3 years now, the fuel tank sensor does not need to be changed. I still have the 1990 240SX sensor sending to the cluster with absolutely no problems. You may need to check your wiring if it is not working properly.

As for the CA, you just need to swap out the S13 CA speed sensor with an S14 SR or KA sensor to get the speedo to work. Also take out the S13 CA temp sensor with an S14 SR or KA temp sensor.

The RB20 uses a speedo cable if I recall. You may be sunk unless you get some kind of voltage converter. Unless the S14 VSS fits into the hole for the speed cable.
RCCC_DRiFteR wrote:Speed, as far as the clock. You said its on when the car is?? but by "on" are you referring to the backlight to the clock??
Three months later...I dont leave the SR forum much... My clock is not wired correctly. The digital clock is on 24/7 as long as it has constant power. But it will not light up until the key is in ACC or ON ie running.

finalgear

as for the ca that's what i thought good job guys

White Comet

alright, im sitting here right now with teh maxima plugs and s13 subharness and im about to start the wiring up of this. is teh info and wiring diagrams on the first page correct? or are there changes and adjustments that need to be made? is that wiring correct for the clock illumination? and is it correct for the fuel gauge to read correctly? thank you very much, i just want to make sure i get it right the first time

finalgear

yea is correct

placham

RB20DET, uses a cable driven speedo, but a S13 electric VSS fits into trans hole. My old gauge worked fine but with this 180sx kouki gauge, speedo is off. So a S14 VSS sensor will work with RB20DET trans, since a S14 VSS works in a S13 SR20DET/KA24DE trans.

White Comet, just a tip, when I wired my gauge. I had all my wires all over, I connected my cluster with "new" harness to verify that everything worked fine. Afterwards I started to clean up the wiring harness.

I'm having the guy that sold me cluster, look for a S14 VSS in Japan. If he finds one, I'll ask him if it will be okay to post his email. So who ever wants/needs on can email him directly.

DreamN $120 at AUTOZONE is pretty cheap, do you know if it's with the plastic gear. I have checked at NAPA, but they want around $180, I'm not sure if it comes with the gear or not. Because price made me run for the door

White Comet

placham wrote:
White Comet, just a tip, when I wired my gauge. I had all my wires all over, I connected my cluster with "new" harness to verify that everything worked fine. Afterwards I started to clean up the wiring harness.
yeah that would be ideal, but i dotn have a running s13 right now, so im doing it and cleaning it up right away. if i have to troubleshoot later, so be it.

just checking (im still matching wires) but x14 is not connected, right?

edit- x24 isnt connected either is it?
Modified by White Comet at 8:43 PM 9/26/2008

finalgear

placham wrote:RB20DET, uses a cable driven speedo, but a S13 electric VSS fits into trans hole. My old gauge worked fine but with this 180sx kouki gauge, speedo is off. So a S14 VSS sensor will work with RB20DET trans, since a S14 VSS works in a S13 SR20DET/KA24DE trans.

I'm having the guy that sold me cluster, look for a S14 VSS in Japan. If he finds one, I'll ask him if it will be okay to post his email. So who ever wants/needs on can email him directly.

DreamN $120 at AUTOZONE is pretty cheap, do you know if it's with the plastic gear. I have checked at NAPA, but they want around $180, I'm not sure if it comes with the gear or not. Because price made me run for the door
Gear not included in that price

leonelrr
Car: s13,s14, z32TT, YZF R6 None of them work nothing to brag about

SUPER DUPER! VERY USEFUL INFORMATION GUYS THANKS TO EVERYONE FOR SHARING!

MY SPEEDO DOESN'T WORK NEITHER MY RPM AND MY GAS GAUGE IS NOT ACCURATE MY TEMP SENSOR IS BAD SO THIS IS THE PERFECT EXCUSE TO DO THE TYPE X CLUSTER CONVERSION!

There was one on ebay for around 150.00 thg plus 40 shipping i thght it was overprized..

Ohh and yeah speedracer1 if you read this, id would like to get some info on your car bro i like it..Sorry to threadjack..

White Comet

leonelrr wrote:There was one on ebay for around 150.00 thg plus 40 shipping i thght it was overprized.
yeah thats def overpriced. i got mine for $80 shipped from splintercell (excellent seller btw, he ships crazy fast). then i spent $5 on maxima plugs from a 94 and found out they were wrong and spent $10 on the right plugs from a 96. the s14 coolant temp sensor was $18 from nissan and i still have to get the s14 speed sensor. right now the running total for me is $32, i didnt pay for the cluster, it was a bday present from my brother. so $32 and all i need still is the s14 speed sensor and possibly led bulbs

SpeedRacer1
Car: 1990 240SX, G35

I guess this would be a bad time to tell everybody then that I have had an extra S14 VSS/w lower Kouki S13 tranny harness in my garage for the last year and a half. The only catch is that it is only being sold as part of a set, that set includes the S13 Kouki tranny it is installed in, I dont feel like parting it out...

This is about the low to average price of an S14 VSS used,http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors...wItem

[email protected]

finalgear

Well if you had it for a year already just sell the VSS

s13gebala
Car: 99 maxima , 91 sr hatch

so much work

DreamN

SpeedRacer1 wrote:I guess this would be a bad time to tell everybody then that I have had an extra S14 VSS/w lower Kouki S13 tranny harness in my garage for the last year and a half. The only catch is that it is only being sold as part of a set, that set includes the S13 Kouki tranny it is installed in, I dont feel like parting it out...

This is about the low to average price of an S14 VSS used,http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors...wItem

[email protected]
Trade you my stock one plus $25 for yours. :D

Oh and my fuel gauge is off. I actually ran out of gas. Going to bend the arm a bit like finalgear posted. No biggie.

White Comet

DreamN wrote:Going to bend the arm a bit like finalgear posted. No biggie.
hey, that was my idea

Return to “240SX Technical Forum”