Kim's S13.5 600WHP CA project!

Discuss topics related to the CA18DE and CA18DET series engines.
kimandre92
Car: RS13.5 (CA18DET)

float_6969 wrote:Great progress!

Thanks man, feedback is much appreciated! :)

kimandre92

So a package arrived in the mail yesterday!

Got this sub frame from Tommy, plan is to pick it apart, sand blast and paint and put new bushings in it :)

There was a Nissan Sporting Meet about 60 miles from where I live, figured I had to throw my car together and go there ! :cool:
The red S14A to the right is Tommy's btw :)

Izento
Car: RPS13

So I heard there is an integrated BoV on that turbo, but I'm confused as to how that works. It looks like it's electronically controlled or something. Very weird design.

float_6969
Car: CA18DET swapped 1995 Nissan 240sx (too many mods to list)
2015 SV Leaf w/QC & Bose (daily)

The cream colored, round cap thing is the recirculation valve. (It's is NOT a BOV because the vented pressure is routed to the intake of the turbo). The black solenoid is if you want to hook up a boost controller, you have a nicely integrated actuator and plumbing. The recirculation valve works just like any other BOV or Recirc valve. There is a diaphragm and a spring. The spring plus manifold pressure holds it shut against the boost pressure. When the TB is shut, there is a vac applied against the diaphragm and that combined with the pressure at the compressor outlet allows the diaphragm to lift and the pressure is routed to the intake of the compressor. Inside the compressor housing, there are machined and cast pathways that give the diaphragm something to seat against and air flow paths to and away from the diaphragm.

This shows the IRV in the closed position. I can't find a picture showing it in the open position.

Izento
Car: RPS13

Informative stuff! Now I know wtf I'm looking at, lol.

float_6969

Did you tell us which EFR that was? I could swear you had, but I can't find it anywhere.

1200ute
Car: Datsun 1200

I think it is 7670 - seen on FB.

kimandre92

Yes, the turbo is a 7670 with AR .86 treadstone v-band housing :woot:

Me and Tommy have done some machining so I have some updates when I come back home! :mike

kimandre92

Sorry, I completly forgot to upload pictures!

Here you go!

Got my crank back from balancing, mesuring the clearnaces to order bearings!

Getting the stress plate mounted, ready for honing!

Plateau honed

Piston ring gapping, gapped rings to 0.55mm and 0.50mm

Put the parts (and a RB26 block) in a parts cleaner

Then painted!

kimandre92

So its been a while since my last update. I moved to a new city and started a new job so I've had a lot going on.

But here is something! :)

I drilled out the oil restrictor and made a new one out of brass, without the one way function. Changed the orfice from 2mm to 1.5mm.

Aand I polished my crank

I barely started assembling the engine, measured the runout on the mains with the ARP bolts, torqued to spec 60 food pounds in three equal steps and it was off with 0.03mm. I then went down to 50 food pounds, then 40 and down to 35 foot pounds before it was around 0.01mm. I didnt find anything in the manual saying what the tolerance is.. Any of you guys encountered this problem? What did you do about it?

float_6969

I've never used ARP main bolts, and with the stock main bolts torqued to factory specs, I didn't see any appreciable out-of-round. I think it was less than .0005", which is about the limit of my bore gauges accuracy.

mdb4879
Car: 1987 Nissan Pulsar SE (CA18DET)
1990 Nissan 240SX (KA24E)
1995 Acura Integra GSR

Did you have the mains line honed with the ARPs?

splintercell
Car: 1989 Nissan 240sx HB
1991 Nissan Silvia

I love a good build. Keep up the good work Kim.

kimandre92

float_6969 wrote:I've never used ARP main bolts, and with the stock main bolts torqued to factory specs, I didn't see any appreciable out-of-round. I think it was less than .0005", which is about the limit of my bore gauges accuracy.
Thats the same as I got with 35 foot pounds, its slightly less torque, but with a finer thread.. Not sure how much clamping force it holds versa oem, but I think its still more. Gonna get this checked.
mdb4879 wrote:Did you have the mains line honed with the ARPs?
No, I have not
splintercell wrote:I love a good build. Keep up the good work Kim.
Thanks alot man ! Appreciate the feedback!

mdb4879
Car: 1987 Nissan Pulsar SE (CA18DET)
1990 Nissan 240SX (KA24E)
1995 Acura Integra GSR

I would torque them to spec and liner hone them. It would be even better if you had a torque plate to replicate the head when you line hone them as well.

kimandre92

mdb4879 wrote:I would torque them to spec and liner hone them. It would be even better if you had a torque plate to replicate the head when you line hone them as well.
Yes, thats definitely the best option. But to get that done I have to send away the block and it would take ages for me to get it back. So im gonna go with it like I did.

It's been ages since I made a update, I've done some minor things, and spendt some moeny on parts. So here is a update!

I polished the crankshaft, since it was lying around in my garage for a long time and I wanted a perfect finish, measured crank and bought bearings. It was machined for 0.25 overdim bearings.

measured the runout on the crank, less then 0.01mm!

measured the runout on the mains and rods. Even tho the rods are brand new its good to be safe.

I had to grind the thrust bearing a bit, measured it to 0.05mm

Then I used plastigauge to check bearing clearance

I started to assamble the pistons and the rods, but I only had 7 of the pin locks, so I had to order a new one so complete the last piston, I threw in the gasket kit for the engine aswell. So I'm still waiting for this package

I allso bought some other parts, I bought Tommy's R32 GTR breaks

I dissembled them, washed them in the part washer then glass blasted them. Ready for paint, think I'll go for Austin Yellow,

I allso bough Tomei headgasket, Tomei 270 Lift 10.25mm intake and exhaust camms, Tomei Solid lifters, Supertech STD SS Intake Valve, Supertech +1mm Inconel exhaust valve, Energy Suspension poly bushing kit, and Megan Racing Rubber bushings for the four mains, a Japspeed intercooler Tommy had lying around, KW V3 coilovers, S14 spindles, hubs, and some HKS copy cam gears

Me and Tommy machined the head, opened up the exhaust valve seats 1mm, i match ported the intake roughly, and started on the exhaust, will wait untill I get the gasket kit before I finish.

float_6969

Great update! Thank you!

kimandre92

Another update!
I recived the piston pin lock, so I assembled the last pistons measured rod bearing clearance and installed the rods and pistons in the block (clearance was about 0.05mm)

I made a shaft to block of the EGR channel. Knocked it in, welded the back and grinded inside to get get a smooth finish.

The manifold had some cracks after they bendt the plate when making it, it would most likely hold up just fine, but I decided to weld it just to be sure!

I reamed my valve guides and resurfaced the head.

I had a old, broken SR20 head laying around, that I could practise machining valve seats on, after I did a few I did the valve seats for my head. Was quite intesting!

I allso mangaged to f#ck up. On the first valve the pilot hit the surface under the head, wich moved my head and made me machine the seat wrong, when I tried to fix it the seat went to low, so it needs replacement. It's hard to see on this picture, but the left valve is sitting lower then the right one, I bought a new, over dimmed valve seat today.

I allso decided to test fit the camms, to see if they would clear the head. It was tight so I tried using a feeler gauge. And all of the lobes cleared with atleast 0.1mm

float_6969

I can't find it, what were the cam specs?

kimandre92

float_6969 wrote:I can't find it, what were the cam specs?
They are Tomei 270 degree duration, 10.25mm lift.

I machined out the seat yesterday, and prepped it to install a new one today

machined it to a 36mm outer diameter overdim seat.

Made a device to fit the new seat

Heated the head to about 110 Celsius, and used CRC -50 Spray to cool down the seat before I knocked it in, the seat was about 0.12mm bigger then the whole in the head, to make it sit tight.

I started drilling my head for M12 bolts since I allready boredand threaded the block for RB26 bolts , unfortunately I did a pretty big f***.
I had something else on my mind, and was't payint enough attention to what I was doing, and ended up drilling the wrong hole, then this happened.

I dont wan't to just scrap the head after I put alot of work into this, just yet.
So what I'm thinking is machining out a few mm of the total area, and make a bushing to press in then machine the bushing to the same diameter the original size.. This sucked :facepalm:

float_6969

That really sucks man, but like you said, it's not worth scrapping the head over. There's not much you can't fix with some welding and machining.

kimandre92

Alright, long post incomming.. So recently I’ve lost some motivation and I haven’t worked that much on my car. But I’ve been doing some stuff every now and then and I took some pictures

I’m gonna to go trough one thing at a time.

So after I Drilled trough the wrong whole, I made a bushing with the inner diametre a little smaller than oem size so I could get the head machined, press in the bushing and machine it back to oem standard size

The new bushing blocked the oil gallery, so I had to mill a new opening for it

Checking the angle to adjust the milling head

Unfortanly I don’t have a picture of the finished result, but it’s good.

I made this tool for fitting the new seat, I cooled it down with a cooling spray to shrink it and knocked it in with a hammer

Got some help from Tommy to machine it

I put my valve covers in the part cleaner, and glass blasted them to clean them thoroughly

After all this I assembled the valvetrain and tried assembling the head on the block, since I went up to M12 I drilled up the holes for the bolts, the holes for the guides and everything so it should fit, but it didn’t.. There was a problem.. The M12 bolt’s head was to big, so I had to modify this as well..

I dissembled the subframe I got from Tommy, removed the bushings, sand blasted it, repainted it and fitted it with new bushings. I used Megan Racing rubber bushings in the subframe and Energy Suspension polyurethane bushings in the rest.

I was a struggle to get the balljoints for the lower control arm since Nissan doesn’t sell them, but I figured out after some forum searching that I could use the front ball joints from a Sentra B12. So I bought a set of Moog on Ebay.

I also got Moog S14 balljoint’s for the S14 spindles.

I assembled the OEM S14 lugs to the spindles

I got my hands on a S15 differential

I dissembled my original diff, glass blasted the outside, cleaned it thoroughly and added acid primer

Then I painted it black and started to assemble it again, I used the crown gear from the stock diff.

Pinion torqued to spec

I checked the diff runout, the manual said 0.05 mm but I ended up on 0.06mm

I bought some oil based paint to check tooth contact

I also glass blasted the calipers, cleaned them and put them back together for painting.

The colour is called Austin Yellow

I applied a coating called Max Protect V3

Went to Nissan and got new lock nuts for the for the front hubs

I’m not sure what discs I got on the rear since they were opened, but I got DBA 4000 series rotors on the front with Yellow stuff pads

However I’m running into some issues with the front brakes, the rear ones fits like a glove but on the front the calipers are crashing with the rotors, and I’m not sure why. I’m gonna try to get another set of rotors to see if that might be the issue. When I googled the part number its specified “Application(s):
6/98-8/93 Nissan Skyline R32 GT-R - 2.6L Twin Turbo - Front
" that makes me wonder if it might be R33 discs.

Here you see a good gap between the caliper and the rotor

Here it crashes (towards the wheel, on both sides)

schnabulator

Is that build still living ?

float_6969

I never saw his last update until just now. Sucks I missed it. I hope he comes back and gives us updates!!!

Return to “CA18DE / CA18DET Forum”