Key System warning light stays on

A forum for the Nissan Quest... minivan lovers unite!
halwsmith3
Car: 2015 Nissan Quest

Howdy. I have 2015 Quest. Just wondering if anyone's Key System warning light stays on. When I turn the van on the light comes on and doesn't cut off. Runs fine. Any ideas? If you can help Thank You. :)

Rogue One
Administrator
Car: 2011 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Honda CR-V LX
2022 Honda Pilot Special Edition

:welcome:
What if the Warning Light Turns On?

There are a number of reasons the Intelligent Key warning light will come on. It is important to note that this light is separate from the low battery light. The warning light indicates a problem with either the key fob or the electronic systems in the car.

Communication problems may be one of the reasons that the warning light turns on. If the car cannot read the key fob, the antennae on either side have been compromised or signals are no longer being sent, the light will notify you of a problem. With older designs, keeping the key fob too close to an active cell phone was known to occasionally cause issues with the signal, leading to a replacement for the key fob. With newer designs this is far less common, but because it is not impossible, it is important to consider this when arranging your key fob and cell phone in your pockets or bags.

The most likely situation that would cause the warning light to come on is a problem with the electronic steering system. The steering system locks by default when the car is parked and turned off, so a malfunctioning system may mean that you are unable to start your car. This is for security purposes and should not be cause for alarm. Simply get your vehicle serviced as soon as possible.

halwsmith3
Car: 2015 Nissan Quest

Thanks for responding! So it is watching two systems. I replaced the 2032 batts with 2025 as recommended. All key locks and auto doors work. The steering wheel doesn't lock so I took off the steering wheel and attachments and all body molding. I saw nothing that hooked up electrically to the steering column that could make it lock. I can't remember if it locked. The old locking system where it would fit into the built in cavity under the steering column is empty, never had a locking device in it. Should it lock?

Return to “Quest Forum”