Key Fob 2012 versa not working

The Nissan Versa Tech Discussion forum is the place to discuss Versa performance modifications and maintenance.
strikingtwice
Car: 2012 Nissan Versa

Hey there. I have two keyfobs. I've tried swapping out batteries, it was weird and intermittent for a while, but now I got nothing. I have a hard time thinking they both went bad, i'm getting new batteries to insure that both of the ones i have aren't bad, but what are some other options? What am i looking at? the 2012 still has the physical key, but man, you don't realize what you're missing until you don't have it.

MikeRL411
Car: 1997J30T, 1967RL411

So the question is are both fobs kaput of is it the receiver in the car. Your call.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

MikeRL411 wrote:
Wed Oct 27, 2021 2:06 pm
So the question is are both fobs kaput of is it the receiver in the car. Your call.
No, it could also be that the BCM is losing its "fob memory" for some reason. Try reprogramming the fobs first. If that doesn't work, stop by a dealer and ask them to pull out one of their transmit checkers. There are two different kinds, either one can tell in under 30 seconds whether the fobs are putting out any signal. The Tech-II can also give an indication of transmit strength.

strikingtwice

Good info here, it would seem less likely that both fobs are out than the transmitter.

Is there a preferred tutorial for reprogramming the fobs? I’ll do a search but I mean if there’s a good preferred one lay it on me.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

On a '12 it should use the method with the door lock button plus in-out 10 times in the key cylinder. I recall a bunch of threads in here describing it, but basically you begin the procedure by locking the doors using the button, then insert and remove the key quickly over and over until you get a double-flash from the hazards. Then insert the key fully and turn the ignition on (don't start). Press the "lock" button on the fob and the car responds with another double flash. To register a second fob, press unlock and then lock on the door, then press "lock" on the second fob. Repeat for more fobs, I think the limit on a Versa is 5. If you get the car into registration mode but there's no response from the fobs, then the problem isn't the BCM's memory. To avoid a lot of screwing around, visit the dealer and see if the fobs are transmitting (locksmiths can generally check that too). Then you'll at least know where to start with the diagnosis.

strikingtwice

Can’t seem to get these hazard lights to flash to get the car into registration mode. If that’s not happening, is there a good chance the transmitter is dead? I kept putting the key in and out and there was no flashing lights. Door is locked. I’m gonna get two fresh batteries today but it’s alarming that the lights never flashed.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

strikingtwice wrote:
Thu Oct 28, 2021 7:23 am
Can’t seem to get these hazard lights to flash to get the car into registration mode. If that’s not happening, is there a good chance the transmitter is dead?
Try opening the door and cycling the door lock button in between attempts, that will reset the 10-times counter for a fresh try. If it won't respond after numerous attempts then there might be something wrong with your BCM that goes deeper than the transceiver. At that point your best bet is to visit the dealer or find a scanner that can read the BCM to see what codes are in there.

Return to “Versa Technical Discussions”