***KANSAS/ NEBRASKA/ MISSOURI Check-IN!

Including ND, SD, NE, KS, OK, MN, IA, MO, and WI
JB'sTitanXD
Car: 2017 Titan XD Cummins

KCMO here!

float_6969
Car: CA18DET swapped 1995 Nissan 240sx (too many mods to list)
2015 SV Leaf w/QC & Bose (daily)

Welcome!!!

NukeKS14
Car: 1995 240SX SE - KA24DE-T
AC Cobra Mk IV Rep.
2020 Civic Si

Wow this place really died. Ottawa KS here. Where is Dano?

float_6969

I don't think he's been on here in ages. I'm pretty sure he still has his S14, but I think it's still just as wrecked as it was.

NukeKS14
AC Cobra Mk IV Rep.
2020 Civic Si

That sucks. We need to set up a meet sometime once all this rain stops. I saw an SR swapped S14 kouki I parked by at cars and coffee last weekend. I think that's the second S chassis I've seen since I moved back to KS almost a year and a half ago.

Still rocking the CA Ryan?

float_6969

For sure, though it'll be a bit later in the summer before I could make it. I'm swamped with work right now, plus I just sold me house and bought a new one, so I'm just crazy for the next month an a half.

I do still have the CA! It's (supposed) to be in an S14 now. I've had a few engine failures that I finally figured out were all caused by an improperly installed helicoil on the #4 cylinder. It was done by the previous owner of the head. I didn't even know there was a heli-coil in there. So fingers-crossed, this engine stays together this time, LOL!

NukeKS14
AC Cobra Mk IV Rep.
2020 Civic Si

Oh jeez, i went through that on one of my exhaust manifold studs. Ended up drilling it out and putting a different thread replacement solution. Let me know if you need a hand moving stuff. Ottawa isn't too far from Topeka by way of Pomona.

Ill keep my fingers crossed for you man.

float_6969

Thanks!

NukeKS14
AC Cobra Mk IV Rep.
2020 Civic Si

I found the pic, here's what I ended up with. I don't think I'm going to have any issues with that #1 exhaust stud anymore. The inner thread is M10x1.5 The hole the PO drilled for the helicoil was too big and it wasn't holding so it was this or have one larger exhaust stud.

Finished the COP conversion on my KA today.

float_6969

That's a similar product to what I used in the head, only mine was aluminum and didn't have those "tabs" on it since it was for a spark plug. I definitely liked it better than a helicoil.

COP conversion looks nice! Which coils? what EMS are you using?

NukeKS14
AC Cobra Mk IV Rep.
2020 Civic Si

Yeah that thing along with some JB weld should effectively be part of the head now. I got it from a machinist in Lawrence when I was having the old log manifold planed before I just gave up on it altogether. It's working so much better than a helicoil would. Don't get me wrong, they have their place but man they REALLY make me cringe when I see one in a head.

Thanks for the compliment, I'm running a Megasquirt from DIYAutotune. Coils are from the front bank of a VQ30DE-K (01' Maxima engine) on a Wiring Specialties S15 SR20DET coil pack harness I wired in. I really just need to sit down and make a build thread but I'm still spending too much time in the garage to get online more than in passing. ca18det_boy is going to weld up a screamer pipe for me as soon as I get it cut, marked, and sent his way and if I can figure out the weird misfire I'm having at about 8psi/5500 RPM I'll take it easy on the wallet for a while and work on the yard/house instead. Maybe find some time one evening to sit down and upload some pics and start a legit thread. Car has a suuuper long way to go but no rust and it's garage kept so it should stay that way.

float_6969

That's a good setup! How do you know Aaron?!? Him and I did some wrenching together back in the day. I tried to help him wire up his S14 SR into an S13, but it did NOT go well. That was waaayy back before there were a bunch of write up's on it, so it was a PITA.

That's right around peak torque I'll bet, which is usually when you're ignition strength is being tested pretty well (minus high RPM's, but with COP, you probably don't have coil charging limitations). Have you tried closing the plug gap down or increase the dwell to see if it changes?

NukeKS14
AC Cobra Mk IV Rep.
2020 Civic Si

I'm the other Aaron. You came over to our apartment in Lawrence once like... I dunno 14-15 years ago. I just forgot my username and started a new account, then came across this thread when I was trying to figure out what it used to be (Import_Ant I guess). I enlisted in the Navy in 08' to be a nuclear electronics tech and did that for almost 10 years until I got out and moved back to KS fall of 17'. I didn't even own a car for the 5 years I lived in Japan, was busy doing life and never really got online. I was kicking myself for not bringing back an 89½ GT-R like a few of my friends did but, after bitching enough about missing my 240s for the better part of 3 years my wife told me I just needed to go find one already. If it's the S14SR I think you're talking about, we picked that notchtop up in Lawrence in my Dad's truck. I think I still have pics of it!

As for the weird misfire, I got it all sorted. I transferred my timing/VE/AFR tables and ignition settings onto a fresh tune file and *BAM* problem solved. Best I can figure is, the old tune file was running off of a thumbdrive (which I didn't realize at the time) and my laptop is OOOLD. thumbdrive kept getting bumped while I was driving (blown struts and shot bushings) and I think I corrupted something while I was autotuning the VE table, then loaded it when I saved after driving. Everything is set up off of hard drive now. Running AMAZING and I have tons of room to raise dwell. I'm at 2.7ms w/ a 2ms duration spark running .040 gap on NGK coppers (1 range colder). Only running it to 10psi peak with the EBC, I have it switched so I can power it off and run on the wastegate, which is set to 5# and that's where I plan to cruise 99% of the time for longevity until I either buy a rotating assy for the KA or Aaron sells me his RB25.

Yeah there it is; That's why he got it so cheap haha. I think the PO was tuning it off of an SAFC.

float_6969

Ooohh! I totally recognize the Import_Ant SN! I'm glad you got the mis-fire sorted out! Random issues can be hard to find. It was a notchback S14 SR, I never saw it in that state. I think the first time I saw it, he had already had the machine work done. Good ole's SAFC. Blowing engines since the late 90's!

steel30coupe
Car: 1990 240

West Plains Missouri and soon to Columbia MO. Just listed an unmolested 90 240sx in the marketplace

Return to “Midwest Region”