KA24E Timing Chain by Noob HELP!

Information on the naturally-aspirated KA24E and KA24DE engines.
VISALIAGRAPH
Car: 1995 Nissan Hardbody Pickup Extended
KA24E with 130,000

Hi and thank in advance for any help here,

Changed my timing chain this weekend. Got a kit with sprockets, chain and guides. As well as a new tensioner. Upon researching I saw it stated more than once that after finding the compression stroke of #1 TDC its a simple fact of lining up the discolored chain links with the punches on the sprockets. This I did. Then put in the oil pump so the distributor was aligned to first firing position. Second try nailed it. Pretty pleased at this point. All put back together, started it. Ran almost wimpy sounding. Tried a bit of gas and it stalled and wouldn't start again. Am I missing something here. I'm afraid I have a piston to cylinder strike but after such attention to detail could there be something I missed? Wouldn't the links to the punch marks prevent something like this? More info is available if needed. Thanks!

Jeff (VisaliaGraphics)
Last edited by VISALIAGRAPH on Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

VISALIAGRAPH
KA24E with 130,000

UPDATE...

Took the cover off and the link has moved 6 teeth over on the top sprocket. Does this link ever move after revolving around normally? I didn't think it would.

VISALIAGRAPH
KA24E with 130,000

Figured it out. Also figured out this is a readers paradise. Not a whole lot of post replies. :wtf2:

jonnyh421
Car: Nissan d21

I just endured a similar run in. I'm sure you musta been a tooth off on the oil
Pump drive gear? Really thought i was gonna have to tear it back down

VISALIAGRAPH
KA24E with 130,000

Oil pump indeed. I've gotten pretty good at it now. When inserted just look at the other side for a backwards D. Straight up and down and its good. Truck is running pretty well, but just doesn't seem to have the power it did before. Anyone have some basics on bringing my engine power back up to par. I've done the basics, new oil, filters, plugs but still isn't the same as before I fixed the timing chain. Still noobin it so any ideas are certainly welcome. Even the crazy ones.

Return to “KA24E / KA24DE Forum”