KA24E ECU Tuning

Information on the naturally-aspirated KA24E and KA24DE engines.
TeckniX

Sorry nameserver was being gay.. it should be comin' back up - it just needed to respawn

sil80drifter
Car: 1990 240SX Hatch

can you also post the prorams themselves there?romeditor can be a pain for some to get from that japanese website, and live edit as well.

sil80

ftrs13
Car: KATs

this would be great for my KAT if I knew what I was doing. haha

guess Ill just stick with safc

TeckniX

sil80drifter what other programs are you talking about??

Anything you guys want I'll organize and post. As long as whatever you send me is documented :P

ftrs13, I would love to get my hands on a ka-t tuned ecu. I think some guy around me has one s14 though, but I don't think it will change too much. I guess just check the website ..

btw: anyone having problems still accessing http://ka.slasher.org ?

ftrs13

Ill be looking into this when I get to school and have all that "free time" on my hands.

Ive decided to give it a try, why not.

KA-ET ecu coming right up

ftrs13

Ill probably be in touch with you guys soon, but as it werel do you think that I could start by tuning on an SAFC, and then modifying the maps to the SAFC settings, and using that as a starting point?

aim: shersman3384

edit: I figure that I could compare with the sr20det files for aprox. info?

TeckniX

I don't believe the safc is really gona help you figure out how to modify the maps. It might give you an idea of when/where you need to add fuel, but probably will need some tuning after you've chipped your ecu

ftrs13

Im thinking that, but it will give me a good place to start, ie what %decrease, on boost I will need to tune properly. if will just give me the extra advantage of making slight changes on the fly, and trying those out instead of retuning and going out again.

at any rate, its going to take me a while to get prepped for this, I only get back to school, and access to eprog on the 19th, and I need to do a lot more research on fuel and timing maps.

Tech12
Car: 91 240sx Super Hicas

Any idea if this will work on a ka24 D e? Looks like a fabulous setup up you've come upon, and I don't want to be left out ^_^

noss81

it will work for the ka24de however there is a little bit more involved than what is involved for the ka24e.

for starters the ka24e uses a dip eprom (as posted by deviousKA earlier) however the ka24de uses a plcc eprom which is a sqaure shape

i.e.

as far as i see it you have a few options with this. the main problem is that most programmers that people buy cannot program these plcc style chips. so there are a few people that have built daughter boards for sr20det ecus (they have the same plcc style chip)

the daughter board is soldered into a 40pin connection on the the ecu board via a ribbon cable. then the daughter board has 2 28pin eproms programmed in an odd/even arrangement.

these daughterboards from my experience cost AU$150 a pop and they're made by a guy that goes by the name of 'badbiki'

i can get similar boards made up, however i have to get them made in a minimum run of 10 boards, however the cost would be closer to AU$100 each maybe less.

here is a pic of the daughter board

the other option might be to solder on a plcc socket to the board and insert a plcc chip into that socket. this would require a programmer that is compatible with these chips. however, i may be wrong, this may not work due to the fact that the ecu is an OBDII ecu and it may be like recent model bmw's and audi's where they will not start if they cannot read the original ecu chip on startup.

also with the ka24e, there are many different ecu's around. i sell ka24e chips and i've sold some to americans and canadians, and i have come across 4 different ecu types so far where the chips from one dont work in the other. and thats just in the stanzas. so when you're downloading stuff off the net, just make sure you're getting the right stuff

Open4Cycle

Great thread! I noticed that the 240sx_ka24e_stock.bin file is corrupt. That can make it hard for someone to learn from. I'm reading info on reprogramming a Z-32 eeprom and trying to apply it with rom-edit and having a little trouble translating zx to sx talk. Which brings me to a question about increasing injector size from stock (270cc) to 550cc. Using rom-edit I changed the K number from 6020 hex to 2F30 hex. ((270/550)*24608) What else do I alter in rom-edit to correct for 550cc injectors? TTP min, TTP max, where do I adjust TPscales and latency?

Thanks

noss81

you just need to change the ttp min from memory. the reason you need to do it for is to prevent over fueling and make the idle smooth, so you only need to modify the first few values in the ttp min section. in rom editor its under the 'global' tab. unfortunately its really early in the morning and i cant remember how you're supposed to change the value (i.e. what you should divide/multiply it by)

Tech12
Car: 91 240sx Super Hicas

noss81 wrote:the other option might be to solder on a plcc socket to the board and insert a plcc chip into that socket. this would require a programmer that is compatible with these chips. however, i may be wrong, this may not work due to the fact that the ecu is an OBDII ecu and it may be like recent model bmw's and audi's where they will not start if they cannot read the original ecu chip on startup.

I'm not sure if that odbII problem applies to all KA24DE ecu's as my s13 is odbI as far as I can tell. I also have 2 different KA24DE ecus lying around, one numbered 24, the other 28 (I think, Its late and I'm getting tired) So I'll check out if there is a difference in the main chip layout.

I want to keep looking into this, as I think I would like this over such a thing as an e-manage, and I don't want to shell out 2 grand of the AEM EMS.-Lech

noss81

i have an s13 ka24de bin file here, but i'm not sure what ecu its for, all i know is its s13 and its for a 'federal' ecu.

http://www.antrx.com/ryan/temp/KA24DE_S ... -54F01.bin

Calesta

Wow- I'm very very glad that I saw this! I haven't been to the forum in a while.

I've been playing around with the Hondata system in my Civic for a while now, so this should hopefully be a piece of cake. I've been hoping something like this would pop up for the KA-E... now I can forgot about using an SAFC on my truck.

Does anyone know for sure if the 95 (my truck) SOHC ECU is the same as the 93? Considering that OBD came into play in 1992 and went to OBD2 in 1996, I assume the 95 should be similar to the 93. Can anyone confirm this for me?

noss81

i'm assuming the 93 is a ka24de? (i'm in aus so i'm not sure on some of your cars over there) if its a de its definately not the same ecu as the e. as i mentioned previously come ecu's arent even the same between the same models.

Open4Cycle

Can anyone change injectors with live-edit using the KA24E 240SX config file? I get an overflow error. I can change injectors using the SR20DET config. I compared these two config files and all address locations are the same other than speed and rev limits. I think the K number is different. Does anyone have an address map they can post for a KA24E 240SX?Thanks

Calesta

All of the Nissan Harbody trucks from 1990 to 1997 model years used the SOHC KA24E. The DOHC engine wasn't available in the trucks until the 1998 Frontier. I was just wondering if the ECU was similar between 93 and 95, considering that 93 and 95 should still share the same sensor configuration (OBD revision).

noss81

i guess there'd only be one way to find out and that would be to copy the ecu image to your computer and check it with another ecu image. the maps would be very similar although they might be in different locations on the ecu.

Calesta

Well, I was hoping that someone would be able to tell me right here, but I guess I'll have to go pull my ECU and find out.

:)

deviousKA
Car: 90 240sx NA /72 Datsun 510 NA /86 corolla GTS NA

I havent checked a 95 truck ecu, assuming its same as the 93 one i posted a picture of.

btw: i checked that 240sx stock rom image, i dont find it to be corrupted maybe try again.

Calesta

Ok- so the 93 ECU is one that you took a picture of personally? Or is it a picture that you found online? Just curious...

Calesta

Oh yeah... devious- I'm going to go ahead and link this thread over to the good people at nissanminis.com. I'm sure there are a few of them over there who would love to tinker with tuning rather than lay frame and throw sparks all the time.

maik21
Car: 240sx Coupe 5.0 90

who has a ecu rom for a ka24e 240sx 90 ? i need one that havent aiv =)

maik21
Car: 240sx Coupe 5.0 90

i forget something, i have an auto trans =)

Calesta

Sorry for the crappy quality guys... but I was shooting with the phone and not my real digi-cam. The pictures are from my 95 Hardbody, and the ECU is NOT the same as the 93.

D21shoka
Car: Nissan 4x4 1996 pickup XE KA24E

Hey deviousKA i have been reading your posts and they are amazing. problem is i don't know how old this thread is and the pictures and some website are not accessible. I have a 1996 4x4 pickup with a KA24E engine which i want to bring that engine up from 134hp to around 200-240hp stock with ecu+piston, camshaft, pulleys, and other upgrades. I am very interested with what you have done and i want to upgrade my ecu so can you send me all the info and programs for the ecu and any input i will be very appreciated! thanks much.

a_ahmed
Car: 1991 240sx fastback

we seriously need a KA NA forum.... I got a bunch of boltons just put on and im planning to get a wideband and nistune... i want this going :D

datapster
Car: '04 spec v, '86 starion

D21shoka wrote:Hey deviousKA i have been reading your posts and they are amazing. problem is i don't know how old this thread is and the pictures and some website are not accessible. I have a 1996 4x4 pickup with a KA24E engine which i want to bring that engine up from 134hp to around 200-240hp stock with ecu+piston, camshaft, pulleys, and other upgrades. I am very interested with what you have done and i want to upgrade my ecu so can you send me all the info and programs for the ecu and any input i will be very appreciated! thanks much.
i need all this info too please can anyone from back in the day help???

neverlift

Return to “KA24E / KA24DE Forum”