KA-T Won't go into boost? (still not resolved)

Your premier source for information on the Turbo KA: KA24E-T and KA24DE-T (KA with aftermarket turbo kit)!
coolbone28

At least the one from my 95' is plastic.

The number code is: 22680 70F00 A36-610 G70
the tag is like a turquois color.

mixeds14
Car: 240

thats weird, both my 95 n 96 had plastic mafs...

OP... u have ur maf at least 12 inches away from the turbo? have u gotten ur wide band yet?

im sure it something simple with ur car... maybe ur just overlooking it... quit messing with it for a day or two n them go over it with a clear head, u never now u might just find out whats wrong with it...

Razi
Car: Moo

Oh my mistake, I didn't know the S14s also had plastic ones.
I wonder why Nissan made that switch.

I agree with Mixed though, it must be something simple that has been overlooked.
A small leak that's hiding from you or something.

StryfeS13
Car: 1993 240sx

S13's had aluminum body mafs, S14's had plastic body mafs.
And yes, the MAF was atleast 12 inches away from the turbo.

Thanks for all the help everyone, but I already took all the turbo stuff off and returned it to stock. I just couldn't be without a vehicle like that.

When I was taking it apart I noticed the turbo has some in/out shaft play. Maybe when the turbo reached 7 psi, it started to seize, and would make the car stutter.

I honestly have no clue what the problem was at all.

Thanks everyone for the help/knowledge!

Razi

Is it running like normal now?

StryfeS13

Sure is.

since when were you a mod Razi?

Razi

Haha, became one today! :P

At least the car is running normal as N/A!

neverlift

wtf

something was bad or installed wrong if it runs good now. with an fmu you have basically a stock running car(maybe a few * off timing retard) so it should run perfect otherwise(I had an fmu setup and loved it!)

grats razi... thought you were a mod already lol

can I get a cool long timer name color or something hehe

biggie
Car: '16 Q70L/'14 Q60S Vert/'19 Armada/'09 FX35

My bet was something with fuel/ecu issue, wasn't sure of the setup, but there is a reason I recommended saving for proper tune/etc.

StryfeS13

neverlift wrote:wtf

something was bad or installed wrong if it runs good now. with an fmu you have basically a stock running car(maybe a few * off timing retard) so it should run perfect otherwise(I had an fmu setup and loved it!)

grats razi... thought you were a mod already lol

can I get a cool long timer name color or something hehe
The turbo has a little bit of in/out shaft play. Maybe when it saw all 7 PSI it wouldn't spin freely anymore and choke out the engine? I have no clue. When I went 1/2 throttle to 4K and the WOT it'd work though. Very odd problem.

Anyway, if anyone's interested, the T25 and 6:1 FMU are FOR SALE.

6:1 FMU has LESS than 20 miles on it, looking to get 125. It's a vortech.

T25 has minimal side to side shaft play, and a little in/out shaft play. Looking to get 90 for this.

Just send me a PM.

I'm going GtiR T28 or Godspeed 18G :crazy:

s13drifter88
Car: 93 S13 Coupe CA18DET (Money pit)
1996 D21 Hardbody (Work truck/daily)
!993 Del Sol (Daily)
1987 Pontiac GTA (Drag project, other money pit)
1989 SOHC S13 Buzz Car

Im told you it was something electronic man. Thats why I said maf cause the inlet vortex of a turbo can really fubar a maf reading, esp when the ecu isnt mapped for the readings that its recieving and having to do the best it can with what it thinks it has. Remove the turbo and the problem goes away but you have the same maf ect ect and havnt changed anything else. Its now seeing what its supposed to be looking for.

neverlift

yeah an pwnd snail CAN choke the motor out, however I am still not sure thats the problem. The in an out is deffinately not a good sign, however a **** hair of radial play is acceptable(gotta have room for the oil).

you should reinstall all parts(after replacing or fixing the turbo) and run the afm on the cold side of the IC. I had some rough running issues while draw through, stumbles and stalls after boost and semi rough idle(unmetered air is a killer) but never any unboostable conditions.

Now I have an afc I might try it again but IDK about all the backfiring.

s13drifter88
Car: 93 S13 Coupe CA18DET (Money pit)
1996 D21 Hardbody (Work truck/daily)
!993 Del Sol (Daily)
1987 Pontiac GTA (Drag project, other money pit)
1989 SOHC S13 Buzz Car

I can believe a pwnd snail can choke a motor but i dont see it causing all the stumbling and spitting. My friend Jeremy fragged the nylon compressor wheel on his stock rb25neo turbo and it didnt cause any running problems per say. It just wouldnt make 0 vacuum. he starting to boost right before the maf has a fit and its pulling all kinds of timing goodness and hitting fuel cut. maf cant see no more, fuel not spray no more.

Neverlift, Im up and down on the afc. I like afc's for the ability to translate in different mafs and the ability to make small minor corrections to fuel curves but I dont think theyre ideal for any kind of "tuning", esp how it can modify where you run in the ecu's timing cells. Being able to cal in a diff maf and maybe make some fuel adjustments for an fmu is great but thats about as far as Id go. Just my opinion tho

SiDwAyZ240
Car: 95' SR Slayer, '02 LT Tahoe, '03 Chev Express is the DD

Have you checked your distributor? I don't think S13 DE's are the same but my S14 DE had a bad CAS which is in the dizzy. If you punch it, it hesitates real bad; but if you slowly accel. then it seems to be ok. Pretty easy to check with a multi meter.

EDIT: Never mind just saw you put it back to stock and not having any problems.

Return to “KA24ET / KA24DET Forum”