ka-t vs sr20det? why?

Your premier source for information on the Turbo KA: KA24E-T and KA24DE-T (KA with aftermarket turbo kit)!
Tulsa_S-13
Car: 1991 SR 240sx

nelson8708 wrote:
FJ24

FJ20ET

Both 8,000rpm and still pulling!!!
Awesome! One of these days when the money tree blooms I will be swapping one into a 510 or S12!

One of the coolest 4 cylinders ever produced.

redtop91
Car: ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A Start

Tulsa_S-13 wrote:
Awesome! One of these days when the money tree blooms I will be swapping one into a 510 or S12!

One of the coolest 4 cylinders ever produced.
And in the case of the FJ20ET one of the more powerful as well.

darkforcejackal
Car: 1993 Nissan 240SX

I'd say that HOW you do the little details in the swap is far more important than the actual engine you decide.

Each engine has different attributes, so decide your engine first based on what you want, also factoring extra costs each swap/engine may or may not have:

-- Clutch - what'll you need to hold the power reliably? Included?-- Exhaust system suitable to the application-- Installation and/or misc. parts (this can add up - oil lines, couplers, piping, bov etc etc)

THEN, get to the real research on that specific engine and your desired set up, and make it happen without cutting corners.

Focus on the DETAILS of the install, so that everything only has to be done once. THEN you'll be happy with the end product.

Ultimately, i'd advise only trying to save money where it is wise to do so.

redtop91

darkforcejackal wrote:Ultimately, i'd advise only trying to save money where it is wise to do so.
Best advice yet. Whatever you do only cut corners on areas that are aesthetic or don't affect car safety or performance.

Kittychubbs
Car: 180sx Ae86 Aw11 and a VIP ^o^

Hmmm yeah I love both. I driven SR and I have a 92 KA which has like 110t miles.

at the moment I have 1700$

but then I have a turbo kit for my KA all i need its the donwpipe made and thats it.

sumtimes I do wonder which one, there is a shop like an hour away that does a S13 black top swap for 1800$ (the red is 150$ less)

and sell the turbo kit but my engine doesnt have many miles so Im in the dilemma lol haha what you guys think?peace out to everyone SR,RB,KAT powered owners.

redtop91

Don't go SR unless you can do the swap yourself. Too many people wanting them are jacking up the swap price.

greengt2nv
Car: 91 s13 hatch w/super hicas 305 v8 (Under constuction) 99 yzf 600R

Edub1 wrote:and doing a motor swap, you should consider a cam or cams, a header and a good tune. I'm quite sure you could gain at least 40WHP with these mods. The KA exhaust is designed with a few PSI of backpressure that can go for 15+HP and a cam should add another 15. Adding about 5* of timing and leaning out the KA's God awfull rich fuel map should add another 10-20.

For under $1000 and no swap, 180-190HP N/A FTW. I will be glad to help you with a tune.
I was wondering about this! I have a SOHC and I want to do N/A mods I got a header,ngk wires, plugs, exhaust on its way, intake...but I was wondering how I could lean this bad boy out and how to build up an N/Atorque monster? and the motor only has 96k. anyone know where I can get a cam for the single cam? or where to get a ecu programable chip?

WDRacing
Car: 95 240SX, 99 BMW 540i, 01 Chevy Express, 14 Ford Escape

You'll have more luck in KA forum, we specialize in boost.

WD

redtop91

greengt2nv wrote: build up an N/Atorque monster

greengt2nv

You know what PHUCK this place all people can do is flame!!! I come for advice! Not to put up with ignorant a$$holes!!! If I wanted to do that I would just ask these questions at Autozone!

redtop91

greengt2nv wrote:You know what PHUCK this place all people can do is flame!!! I come for advice! Not to put up with ignorant a$$holes!!! If I wanted to do that I would just ask these questions at Autozone!
oh come on it's all in good fun. if that really angered you that much, i apologize.

greengt2nv

I am over it I don't want to ruin someone thread like people do to mine.

Kittychubbs
Car: 180sx Ae86 Aw11 and a VIP ^o^

Please dont think everyone here is just a big moron and just hate on others ideas I mean you should do what you really want and get to it.but its always wise to lisen to others advice since most that do have been there n done that, and know what the good and the bad.

Like me Well I decided to go KAT since i spend money goin to knotts and doin the toys for tots and took an oldskool western pic with my GF. so im like on the 1600$ now lol so im just gunna get that Downpipe and boost controller and walbro and Ill be set for boostin' woot woot. peace out

C-Kwik
Car: 2013 Chevy Volt, 1991 Honda CRX DX

greengt2nv wrote:

I was wondering about this! I have a SOHC and I want to do N/A mods I got a header,ngk wires, plugs, exhaust on its way, intake...but I was wondering how I could lean this bad boy out and how to build up an N/Atorque monster? and the motor only has 96k. anyone know where I can get a cam for the single cam? or where to get a ecu programable chip?
Read my response to Edub1's post that you just quoted. His numbers are very unrealistic. If you were to be able to pull off 150 WHP with bolt ons, you're in good shape. It would take some serious headwork and tuning to achieve 170-180 WHP. Above that, you'ld need a huge budget, be able to do some engineering and would sacrifice drivability and longevity. You're not going to get any miracles out of bolt-ons.

Consider, there is one major factor that ultimately determiness how much power you can make. Air. The more air an engine can ingest, the more power it can make. To increase airflow through an engine, you need to increase displacement, increase volumetric efficiency (which is still limited to displacement), increase RPM's (so long as you can increase VE at the higher revs), and/or force more air into the motor(turbo/supercharging/nos). Displacement is limited to parts available and space available in the engine block. VE usually requires a compromise Especially as you near and pass 100% VE. Increasing revs requires stronger internals and a very balanced system. The KA is already known to have issues with high revs. None of these three options are going to significantly increase airflow with any ease. FI is relatively easier and cheaper to extract higher power levels.

Portal-S13
Car: 1992 240sx Hatch

GuSpeed wrote:thank you for responding. I have thoughts of all the ends of routes. CA, RB20, SR, and I just read somewhere that KA-T is cheaper.

Well I just wanted to know how much cheaper. All I want is around 180-200whp with very low boost.

I was also trying to make sure I got all the things I need if I went the KA-T route.

Thanks!
you can get CA's and RB's for near 1200$ I dont know if you can beat that for a KA turbo kit.
http://store.max-redline.com/servlet/-s ... rbo/Detail

Im going KA-T, already had a stock ka and swapped it out for a CA, needless to say i had fun, but the CA's are notorious for spinning bearings. So im going KA-T and thats who im going with, its a kit none the less and if i want to upgrade the turbo i can do so at a later point, but this is the ABSOLUTE cheapest route.

ANd if you think about it, if you are mechanically inclined....rebuilding a KA isnt hard at all, and the parts arent that much either.

D-UNIT
Car: a 91' S13 (15.014 @ 94.56mph NA) KA-T

Oh my lawd.... You do realize that the last post was a little over 9 years ago. I mean you had to have known........Oh well , carry on.

D-UNIT

I think I could do cheaper than that , man this thread got me thinking ( maybe I should start a new one....nah).
Ebay turbo -$ 200-250
Ebay pipe kit $50
Ebay intercooler $75
Bottom mount manifold $ 100
Oil pressure/return lines $ 150
Genuine bov $ 200+

That leaves plenty money for management/fuel upgrades.
Before you diss the ebay stuff , just note that I personally have a ebay intercooler and SR20 pipe kit (buy um separately = cheaper) and a ssac turbo manifold installed on my car since January '09 boosting 15psi with no problems yet. Good luck. Funny thread this!

RiverCitySX
Car: 1993 Nissan 240sx KA-T

redtop91 wrote:Torque whores go KA. Rev whores go SR. WDRacing, an SR swap is far cheaper than any RB swap in my opinion but while this topic is more useful than most (I had to delete the flame that I had made) it still frustrates me because there is no real reason why to do one over the other because any real horsepower will require rebuilds of both (but the SR internals are good for 400+ ). I am an SR guy and I really look at the KA-T as (dont anyone get angry and call me a brat) as the Wal Mart brand of engine swaps, its the cheaper, quicker alternative. But I feel that those who really know where power production is at go SR.
As far as power production goes, I'd like you to search for the 1000+whp KA-T.
It was feature in a multi-issue article in Import Tuner (I think ?) about 3 or 4 years ago.
IMO, in this day and age, which motor you have makes no real difference. Be it KA SR RB
LS CA VG VQ, ect. What matters is how much your willing to spend to acheive your desired
power output and your personal preference. I chose to go KA-T for several reasons,
it was already there, KA-T is not done very often, generally speaking. And so I could and
the "You got an SR20 in there?" with "Nah, KA-T Brah" :dblthumb:

D-UNIT

Eh "brah" don't waste you're life , the post you quoted is over 9 years old.

WDRacing
Car: 95 240SX, 99 BMW 540i, 01 Chevy Express, 14 Ford Escape

Indeed, Redtop doesn't even frequent Nico anymore.

RiverCitySX
Car: 1993 Nissan 240sx KA-T

LOL yea I didn't notice that till after I posted :gapteeth:

Return to “KA24ET / KA24DET Forum”