ka-t vs sr20det? why?

Your premier source for information on the Turbo KA: KA24E-T and KA24DE-T (KA with aftermarket turbo kit)!
new_to_drift
Car: 89 240SX coupe

off subject.edub i saw up at the top of this second page you would be willing to help tune a KA.email me if that offer is still available.im very close and im looking to try go lean it out a bit. [email protected] this subject i think you could go CA,throw a FMIC and a tune on there and ull be golden for your low boost 200hp.

BoostFab
Car: S13cp, S13fb, S14z

redtop91 wrote:
Disagreed. If you are patient and thoroughly research the swap and dont undertake it before you can complete it an $2500 SR swap is very manageable. Thats at least how much mine was (but I did the labor myself and with enough patience you can manage a clean swap) I'm putting down 210 to the wheels with a ghettofied STOCK KA exhaust Here's proof that with a plan a clean (and powerful) swap is possible.
how many noob on here raving sr this sr that can pull of the entire swap themself before breaking something and have it replaced once or twice?!? most of them will take it to a shop for a swap, how much that end up!? then with that budget you're still stuck with the side-mount, let alone other electronics for managing the boost, etc. and then you are still stuck with limited power 200hp. you spent that same amount on the stock KA, you're already exceeding 350whp already.

BoostFab
Car: S13cp, S13fb, S14z

C-Kwik wrote:But for comparison's sake, you're making 210 WHP out of your SR for $2500. It's not bad if 210 WHP might be all you want. But what if you want some 350 WHP? With the SR, you're going to need to get a larger intercooler, a larger turbo, and upgrade the fuel system. With a typical KA turbo kit, 350 WHP is nor more than a fuel upgrade and boost controller(or even a stiffer wastegate spring) away.
exactly, that's basically a new turbo kit on top of the $ spent on the swap. trust me i know several friends that spent over $5k on their sr and still barely making 350whp. and they are persay "not noob" and know what they're doing.

GuSpeed

All things are very subjective. I can't find a deal for an SR motor for $1200. That's really cheap.

Second. For $2500 swap. Yes that is very do-able. I did the math, so I agree with you, but this is the catch 20.

If the motor you get is good, turbo is good, and no problems with sensors, then $2,500 is correct! But if you get a **** motor and turbo, you're SOL. And I have a budget of $2-2,500 and I don't want to take the risk of getting a **** motor. That's my choice.

Now I just plan on making sure my KA runs good, and spend that $2,500 on Fidanza flywheel 11LB, new clutch, 11LB aluminum driveshaft, crank pulley, electric fan, and I still have enough money left over to buy full coilovers, all new bushings, and other misc. things.

All things are good, just what you want to do with your money and what you wanna do. Otherwise whatever you choose to do is good for you because you choose to do that. For your self. NOt because some guy say SR are better or RB is better. Whatever!! Do what makes you happy.

Bosrudorfer
Car: S14

redtop91 wrote:I am an SR guy and I really look at the KA-T as (dont anyone get angry and call me a brat) as the Wal Mart brand of engine swaps, its the cheaper, quicker alternative. But I feel that those who really know where power production is at go SR.
For what I've spent on my motor I could buy two SR's sir so think twice!

Ok my thoughts. The shop that built my motor always does SR's and RB's, they commented the KA has a powerful feeling to it, something that dyno and numbers dont desribe. Once you step on the gas you feel it while they said with the SR's you have to wait for it to kick in.

Visually the SR is more beautiful. The KA is ugly with the wires. Doing a swap is faster and easier but be careful with the history of the JDM engines.

The SR has way more parts which does suck for us KA guys.

If you drift go SR.

If you want torque go KA-T.

If you want raw power go RB.

If you want an all in between get a CA which are also awesome motors.

If you have a 200K KA then I you can do a rebuild (you know the history of the motor) or if you dont want to I recommend doing a swap.
Modified by Bosrudorfer at 2:02 PM 12/5/2006

nelson8708
Car: 1989 Nissan 240sx Fastback
1994 Acura Integra LS

The KA being a "Wal Mart brand of engine". I dont care what brand you think it is. Wally World is awsome anyways. I think that what ever engine makes you happy you should go with. I have 1K in my ka24e-t motor. Once i get my fmic on and am on 10psi i plan on having around 220-230whp and 240-260wtq. I chose this motor because that is what the car came with plus when the other nissan guys hear i boosted my single cam they think it is slow and underestimate it(cheap to boost also). If i get a 240 that is not my dd like the one i currently have i want to do a rb20det swap. Once agian the sound of the inline 6 is awsome. I dont care what motor is in my car. As long as it is fun to drive.

What ever motor you swap is up to you......as long as you take me for a ride in it once it is done.

In my opinion:

KA=TorqueSR=Revs and a little TQCA=RevsRB=Sex

redtop91
Car: ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A Start

nelson8708 wrote:KA=TorqueSR=Revs and a little TQCA=RevsRB=Sex
Agreed. An SR motorset you'll never find for $1200. I don't recall saying that but if I did that was definitely wrong on my part. $1600 is about the lowest you'll find: http://www.jdmenginedepot.com/...id/39 I recommend finding an eBay powerseller if you are going to buy an SR. 1. Because they have an established identity which they don't want to lose or have soured so they won't skip out on you 2. Buying the product using paypal. I cannot stress this second one enough. Buying through paypal ensures that if you are stood up, Paypal will reimburse you in full AND as an added bonus (at least in my case) I got the money I was stood up for back and the SR that Paypal recovered from the guy Free SR FTW! Once again if you can do the swap yourself you are running about a $2200 tab at that point. Slap on an ebay front mount and an S15 T28 and you can make close to 310 WHP for around $3100 bucks from beginning to end. Correct me if I'm wrong but the forged pistons and rods for a KA that you will need will cost 1300 if you can do it yourself and if you can manage to find a KA Turbo kit for under $1800 you might have 30-40 more WHP than an SR but with a MASSIVE downtime, and unless done perfectly, a much less reliable motor.
Modified by redtop91 at 12:54 PM 12/6/2006

bigk
Car: cars, football, girls

The motor u posted for $1600 comes with a Cut wiring harness and no igniter chip or intercooler etc...

WDRacing
Car: 95 240SX, 99 BMW 540i, 01 Chevy Express, 14 Ford Escape

This thread is gay. There isn't very much tech at all, simply posts about personal preference.

For 220RWHP I can build u a kit for under a grand. For that low of a number you don't even need a FMIC or any tuning. A stupid FMU, JGS mani and some piping...done. Can the SR20 be done for under a grand in your driveway with a simple set of tools...no it can't. There, now no more posts comparing price...its stupid.

WD

redtop91

That's why I said:
redtop91 wrote:Once again if you can do the swap yourself you are running about a $2200 tab at that point.

redtop91

Damn. Double post. oh well.
WDRacing wrote:For 220RWHP I can build u a kit for under a grand. For that low of a number you don't even need a FMIC or any tuning. A stupid FMU, JGS mani and some piping...done. Can the SR20 be done for under a grand in your driveway with a simple set of tools...no it can't. There, now no more posts comparing price...its stupid.WD
The only reason why that is manageable is because the KA is a young engine thus most of the parts will have to be custom in some aspect and most of the KA-T guys I've met are brilliant mechanics or machinists that can whip up custom parts themselves, therefore at a discount. I really don't think the SR was all that hard of a swap. I am no guru of engines and their properties but I managed it solo with no real problems at the age of 17. All the kiddies that want an SR swap are driving up the price. In realistic terms (factoring in inflation and what not) both engines are equal in every aspect. Its all preference. I wanted a reliable daily driver with 300 whp by project completion. My SR will provide that in 800 dollars bringing the grand total to 3k. I didn't feel that I could get those numbers without sacrificing some reliability with the KA but I could have been wrong. I probably am biased though because I have done little to no research on the KA as it was in my 240 about a day and a half before I chucked it.

Tulsa_S-13
Car: 1991 SR 240sx

For under $1500 someone can easily build a T25 KA_T setup. In fact, it has been done numerous times, not to mention the setup can give you around 220-250 rwhp at 7-10psi. It can actually be a great setup depending on the driver's needs.

For example, a t25 setup with a well tuned suspension could make one hell of an autocross car. Immediate boost coming out of the turns=

Personally I love both engine! However, a person can put together a built KA-T that would be able to withstand 350+ rwhp with a budget of around $3-4k.

You have to keep in mind Ryon, the AVERAGE SR swap cost roughly $2.5k and yeilds a mere 200-210rwhp. Depending on the condition of the car's stock KA a budget of the same amount can net 250-300rwhp, its been done and proven.

It's interesting to note that you mention that the KA lacks "reviness". If you noticed Marcus's tachometer with the V2 cams he was able to carry the engine to 7k and the car was still pulling hard. Oh, and compare the price of aftermarket cams for the SR compared to that of the KA, its amazing the price difference! Also if you remember after riding in my car how fast my KA was able to rev, the difference that the Fidanza flywheel makes is incredible, not to mention the torque of my car compared to that of your SRs.

I think the bottom line is to ride in a car with both setups. I was fortunate enough to do so and really was amazed at the usable powerband of Marcus's GT32 powered KA.

So just research before you decide, and good luck!

Oh and one last thing..... FJ20ET FTW!!!!!!

EDIT**

To accomplish 300rwhp with the SR you will need an upgraded turbo, GT2871r, which can be had for a low $1.2k.

300hp capable turbo for the KA= T3/t04e= dime a dozen= $300-600

crzycav86
Car: 93 240sx KAT

WDRacing wrote:This thread is gay.
haha. i was just about to say that. i think it started on the right foot, and then the dumb people came in and ****ed it up.

i say the smart, unbiased people from the sr, ka, rb, ca forums should all meet in a chatroom and get it all sorted out once and for all. then you can sticky it in the respective forums and avoid lame threads like this one.

Edub1
Car: 89 240sx KA-T

A low end KAT with no IC and only a FMU with stock injectors is only good for about 190 - 200HP. Plus, this will over drive the injectors to where you will be risking them crapping out and running you lean. Larger injectors and some engine management is the correct way to turbo.

WI_S14_Goldie
Car: 1995 Nissan 240sx SE, 91 240 fastback LE, 1997 kouki S14, DD = 93 Nissan Maxima

All those engines are potential! but i favor the KA.

WDRacing

Edub1 wrote:A low end KAT with no IC and only a FMU with stock injectors is only good for about 190 - 200HP. Plus, this will over drive the injectors to where you will be risking them crapping out and running you lean. Larger injectors and some engine management is the correct way to turbo.
Ok bro...since you COMPLETELY missed the point of the post. You can use an FMU and I have never seen an injector fail because someone used one...EVER. There are all kinds of things that "could" happen. Are you going to tell me I can't make more the 200whp with a FMU? Cause I'll take that bet and you'll be paying me.

The point was that when price comes into play, you can go as cheap as you want to. You're preaching to the choir about using engine management bro. I've been into boosting the KA since guys were pioneering the Hacked MAF. Which also works and is damn near free...so there's your 370cc injectors and fuel management...lol.

WD

GuSpeed

Thank you moderator. I was gonna say that. This post has gotten out of what I intend it to be. Let's just sticky it and stop posting. I think there's plenty of info on this post about motor.

Thanks

Chezedik
Car: 1991 Nissan 240sx

While your friends may like the JDM tyteness of SR, your mom likes it BIG!!! Choose KA24DET!!!

WI_S14_Goldie
Car: 1995 Nissan 240sx SE, 91 240 fastback LE, 1997 kouki S14, DD = 93 Nissan Maxima

Chezedik wrote:While your friends may like the JDM tyteness of SR, your mom likes it BIG!!! Choose KA24DET!!!
LoL I like that quote! LoL but JDM is off the HoOK!

redtop91

i just noticed that this topic is in the ka t forum. what a genius place to ask for neutral info. end this thread. it's just as worthless as the rest.

GuSpeed

hey you know what they say... genius people hang out with other genius people.

nelson8708
Car: 1989 Nissan 240sx Fastback
1994 Acura Integra LS

Tulsa_S-13 wrote:Oh and one last thing..... FJ20ET FTW!!!!!!
FJ24

FJ20ET

Both 8,000rpm and still pulling!!!

Craving4Boost
Car: 91 240sx fastback

Power = money and experience not Power = engine

Do I need to build a Geo Metro hell street machine to get this point out

WDRacing

Craving4Boost wrote:Power = money and experience not Power = engine

Yes you do!!!

Chezedik
Car: 1991 Nissan 240sx

It's actually an easy deal to create a 12 sec Metro. I have always wanted to make one, but it's hard to spend the money. It would be really cool though to whip a Vette in a Geo (or at least keep up).

WDRacing

My buddy used to have a prety quick Storm...total sleeper.

redtop91

Craving4Boost wrote:Power = money and experience not Power = engine

Yes but you also must swap a twin turbo 13B into and make it reliable.

WDRacing

Did you get struck by lightening for saying that? 13B and reliable shouldn't even be said together in the same week.

WD

redtop91

WDRacing wrote:Did you get struck by lightening for saying that? 13B and reliable shouldn't even be said together in the same week.

WD
Ahem. *Sarcasm* Ahem

dark_munchkin

I've always wanted to cram a 3.8 GTP engine into a geo, I think it'd be fun.

Return to “KA24ET / KA24DET Forum”