K&N Performance Air Filter for our very new Rogues.....

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
mistergib
Car: 2008 Silver Nissan Rogue AWD SL

ok y'all.....there is probably alot of you out there that are like me....you are waiting on K&N to makea performance air filter for our Rogues.....well, waitno longer, they make one, its just not listed in their catalog as yet, our car is too new.

Here's what I did......Purolator makes a replacement stock air filter forour Rogues, its part# A24675. Now, take thatpart number and go to K&N's site and use theircross-reference utility.....it comes back with their K&N part number 33-2036 ...walla!

AJ-USA sells this K&N air filter for $32.50 includingthe FedEx ground shipping.....

paulvanharte
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue SL AWD Carbon Silver

Old news There is a post on this somewhere earlier. I already have the filter.Thanks anyways

Paul

mistergib

paulvanharte wrote:Old news There is a post on this somewhere earlier. I already have the filter.Thanks anyways

Paul
...well, thats why my posting said "alot of you...", not "all of you"...I figure that I wasn't alone...if it was new news to me, then I'm sure that it will be new news to some others....it was written for the "didn't know" audience....

philipa_240sx

The only thing I don't like about K&N (and all filters that require oiling for that matter), is the filter oil can coat the MAF (mass airflow sensor) and cause all sorts of drivability problems. Now this does not happen in all cases, but the risk is still there.

mistergib

philipa_240sx wrote:The only thing I don't like about K&N (and all filters that require oiling for that matter), is the filter oil can coat the MAF (mass airflow sensor) and cause all sorts of drivability problems. Now this does not happen in all cases, but the risk is still there.
I know that it has happened, but, I wonder how many of those times itsbecause that person cleaned and re-oiled the filter and put too much oilon it??

The reason I say that is because I have ran K&N filters on probably my last20+ cars, and NEVER had that problem once...and I do not personally knowanyone who has had that problem?? Also, car manufactures do not voidthe warranty if you are running a K&N filter, nor do they put in the ownersmanuals not to run a K&N filter...go figure??

Here's what K&N says about what they call a myth:

Every stock replacement air filter we sell comes with this sticker, which we advise consumers to place prominently on their air box. The sticker is to alert service technicians that they should not throw away your K&N air filter because it will last for the life of your vehicle. When service technicians see this sticker it means “STOP SELLING THIS CUSTOMER DISPOSABLE AIR FILTERS OVER AND OVER.” In our opinion, this is why some dealerships or service providers may attempt to discourage a consumer from using a K&N air filter or worse blame a vehicle repair on our lifetime air filter. Most dealerships provide excellent service and fulfill car warranty obligations without issue, argument or tardiness. The rest of this discussion is about a minority of dealerships who are either misguided or misinformed.

We are aware of the “urban myth” (K&N News Story) created by a few dealerships that a vehicle's MAF sensor can be contaminated by K&N filter oil. No evidence has ever been provided to support this “myth” and three years of diagnostic testing by K&N has shown that not only is this allegation not real, it is not even possible. In our opinion, it is an excuse for a dealership and/or the vehicle manufacturer to avoid a legitimate warranty repair. In the last 4 years, we have sold over 10,000,000 lifetime air filters and received only a few hundred calls from consumers who are having dealership or service provider challenges. We believe that Dealership's or service provider's real incentive may be to discourage the use of reusable products so they can sell disposable products over and over. In order to provide consumers with added comfort that they will not be placed in a bad position by a improper warranty denial, we offer our Consumer Protection Pledge.

But, to each is own... always do what you are comfortable with....
Modified by mistergib at 12:54 PM 4/18/2008

philipa_240sx

Well, the whole 'MAF Failure' thing may be a difficult one to prove. I am sure there are good arguments on both sides. Failure aside, my opinion is any contamination of the MAF by oil, silicone, dirt, etc is a bad thing as it 'insulates' the sensor from the surrounding air and can cause incorrect readings. I want to ensure whatever filter is in front of the MAF is clean, dry and can filter well.

One of my main goals is to inform and educate on this forum. To that end, I have done some research for everyone so they can make thier own choice.

OEM Nissan Air Filter: 16546-30P00Applications: 90-96 300ZX (Base, 2+2, conv and Turbo), 07-08 Sentra SE-R, 08 Rogue

Any filter designed for these cars should fit correctly. Here are a few aftermarket equivalents:

Performance filters:K&N: 33-2036AFE PRO DRY S: 31-10055AEM Dryflow: not available yetAmsoil EAA: not available yet

Standard paper filters:WIX: 46044NAPA Gold: FIL6044

mistergib

...and you did supply good, usable information.....I just don't happen to agree with your K&N doubts...no big deal... And,...like I said....always do what YOU are comfortable with....

philipa_240sx

mistergib wrote:...I just don't happen to agree with your K&N doubts...no big deal...
We agree to disagree!

RogueSeeker
Car: 08 Rogue SL AWD & 1997 Ford F-150

I ordered my K&N filter over the weekend. Thanks mistergib, I had not heard of AJ USA before and I couldn't believe the price.

I have run a K&N in my F-150 for about four years now and love it. While I don't think their is a noticable performance increase, I can tell the truck breathes easier - at idle the tach lost a few notches.

My biggest reason for loving these filters is that they are reusable. So far in my truck I have saved 4 filters from hitting a landfill! Not to mention each paper filter would have cost about 18 bucks at Walmart.

Thanks again for the tip! Sure beats paying 40 some odd dollars for it somewhere else!

kerrton
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue SL FWD Gotham Gray

That is what more businesses and people are discovering - by reducing waste, you increase efficiency, thereby saving money AND reducing your impact on the environment. For that reason I am 100% supportive of K&N filters that do not have to be replaced.

The "throw-away" society needs to become a thing of the past and every little step towards that goal helps.

mlmcgahee
Car: 2010 Nissan Altima Coupe 2.5s

I bought one also.... Thanks mistergib!

bill875
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue SL AWD Indigo Blue / Premium Package / Fully Loaded

I just ordered mine last night from AJ-USA. I hope it shows up by the end of the week. I just hit an average economy of 27mpg. I'm hoping the new filter will bump that up a notch like it did in my 2003 3.8L Impala LS.

jsherm007
Car: 2008 Rogue

I posted a deal about this filter at Amazon a couple months ago, anyway they were selling it for $13.xx. I've run it for some time now, and don't notice a big diff, but for $13 bucks it was worth it.

bill875
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue SL AWD Indigo Blue / Premium Package / Fully Loaded

Well, AJ-USA has yet to ship my filter. They say it is backordered and I should get it by next Friday. I'm almost regretting having purchased it from them now. I would call them to confirm stock and order over the phone instead of online.

RogueSeeker
Car: 08 Rogue SL AWD & 1997 Ford F-150

I must have taken the last one haha. I ordered mine from AJ late on 5/3 (Saturday) and it shipped on 5/7. The FedEx site show's it'll be here on the 13th.

Robteesit
Car: 2009 Rogue SL AWD

Philip - You seem so knowledgeable with this whole forum, and Nissian's, I thought I would pose this question to you. My locale Nissan dealer recently had a greet and meet at the dealership for all new buyers of cars. One of the topics discussed was car care, and changing air filters. They only recommend Nissan air filters and said the the Rogue uses a oil type air filter, so any dry type air filter would void the warranty if something related went bad, ex MAF sensor. I mentioned using a K&N filter and they said that would then be between me in K&N as to who would cover the repair. First of all I didn't think the Rogue used a oil type filter and was wondering if you could confirm. I researched and don't have a clue. Also I see no mention in Nissan's owners manual about not being able to use another manufactures air filter or using it voiding the warranty. Don't mean to put u on the spot just thought you might be able to point me in the right direction. ThanksP.S. anyone else that has some advice to offer is also welcome.

philipa_240sx

The OEM Nissan filter (and most standard paper filters) is a dry element filter. AFAIK there is no oil impregnated in the filter media.

The K&N filter uses a media that is sprayed with oil.

Nissan may have a valid warranty concern... read your warranty book. If an aftermarket part causes damage to the vehicle, Nissan will not warranty it.

Robteesit
Car: 2009 Rogue SL AWD

Thanks Philip - I appreciate your reply. Still don't understand, after asking twice why they would say it uses a wet fileter? Maybe I misunderstood. Guess I have to use they parts for another 34,000 miles, the I can use the good parts.

lou from ny

after 20+ years of using nothing but K&N on my vehicles i decided to take the advice of those here who know Nissan and try the AFE dry filter on my rogue. very simple to install, pop it in & done....never buy another filter again, no warranty issue. keep the stock filter just in case you have an issue and nobody is the wiser.

i honestly think the issue with all oil type filters is the person using them uses too much oil and doesn't allow it to completely dry before installing it back in the vehicle. you don't need to soak these things, just put a layer of oil on them.

either way, you'll never buy another filter, they pay for themselves eventually and you *may* even get some performance increases as wellgood lucklou

kerrton
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue SL FWD Gotham Gray

Just pop your engine air filter out and look at it, you'll immediately see that it's just a simple paper filter, no oil. The Rogue is nice because you have very easy access to the filter, and all you do is just pop the top cover off and slide the filter out, no special knowledge or tools required.

My advice, stay away from the oiled filters, it just doesn't seem worth the risk and if you do have warranty claims you don't want to give Nissan any excuse to try to weasel out of it.

BUT, this doesn't mean you have to buy Nissan filters!! I just bought a bunch of FRAM air filters and installed one myself, got a good deal online at rockauto.com, like 1/4 the price that I'd pay at Nissan!! And these are basically OEM spec dry filters, so they won't void your warranty.
Modified by kerrton at 7:37 AM 10/19/2009

roguester
Car: 08 Rogue SL AWD, 06 Altima 2.5 S special

You make a good point. I'm a K&N believer, they never failed in any of my vehicles.I had one in my BMW 530 for 5 years just washing and light oiling once a year.I installed one in my Rogue within weeks after taking delivery.

philipa_240sx

My personal choice for filters are the NAPA Gold Series. For both air and oil filters. The filters are actually made by WIX and come highly recommended.

I have never had good experiences with Fram. Their air filters never seemed to fit my vehicles properly. I haven't used them for a few years... so maybe they've improved?

TonyN
Car: 2010 EX35 "The Baby Wagon"
2010 Camry SE "The Beater"
1994 Supra Turbo "The Weekend Warrior"

FYI, i just replaced my engine air filter witha K&N unit today, I also did the idle air volume learning procedures at the same time, car run good, maybe its just due tothe fact that its a new filter but I do enjoy the facts that the filter is cleanable, this is the 10th K&N I have used in different cars throughout the past and never had a problem with cels. Also there is a sell on ebay I got mine from for $35 shipped.

Return to “Rogue Forum”