Jumper cables burning hot/Should I break up with boyfriend?

General discussion forum for J30 and M30 owners!
jenny1997
Car: 1997 Infiniti J30

I haven't used my 97 J30 much over the last 3 months. My battery was dead. My boyfriend tried to jump-start my car with his Hyuandi hybrid. He had to look for his battery because he didn't know where it was at first??? It was in his trunk. (I guess it's because of it being a hybrid) :confused:
Anyway, he told me to try and start my car. It started to turn over but didn't quite make it. He said the jumper cables were getting really hot. He said something about maybe having cables reversed. He reconnected the cables again. The same thing happened except this time, the engine kept trying to turn over even after I took my key out of the ignition! He ended up taking the battery out and putting it on a charger. The next day, he put the battery back in and it started. HOWEVER, it made a weird new sound, and my check engine light came on for the first time since I've owned this car :(
I went to AutoZone to test it and it showed two codes. PO100 Mass or Volume Air Flow Circuit and PO325 Knock Sensor 1 Circuit Bank 1.
I have had my car jumped before and never had any problem starting it on first try and never heard that noise and never had the check engine light come on afterward.
I'm looking for advice on what you think happened to cause the jumper cables to overheat, why my car kept trying to turn over even after the ignition was turned off and my key was out, and why this caused my check engine light to come on and the two codes show up when tested. When I asked him if having the cables reversed could have caused this, he got mad and says they weren't reversed (which was news to me). I asked him why the cables got overheated and he didn't have an answer for that. Hey, I make mistakes. Everyone does. I wouldn't have been upset that he accidentally hooked them up wrong. I am upset that he seems to be lying about it though.
Thanks in advance.

jenny1997

I am crying over this. This car has held up for me for 6 years with no major problems.

DenisMcG
Car: 2009 Infiniti FX50

The cables probably got hot due to a very high current load. I suspect that they are probably low quality cables. Your battery was likely very low prior to trying to boost the car. Since the car started once the battery was charged, it is unlikely that any damage was caused. The codes could simply be from the car not being driven. Check the air intake to make sure that there is nothing blocking air flow, especially near the maf. Clear the codes and see if they come back.

jenny1997

Thanks for responding
How do I clear the codes, please?

Rogue One
Administrator
Car: 2011 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Honda CR-V LX
2022 Honda Pilot Special Edition

Hey Jenny!

If you don't have your own obd2 scanner there's a way to have it done for free. Most of the chain auto parts stores will read and clear the codes for free. Check to see if there's at least one of these near you.

Advance Auto Parts
AutoZone
NAPA
O'Reilly Auto Parts
Pep Boys

jenny1997

I went to AutoZone Saturday, that’s how I got the codes.
They said they were only allowed to hand it to me and I had to hook it up and run it. I brought it back inside and they printed the results for me. They never offered to tell me how to clear them and I didn’t know to ask about clearing it.

Rogue One
Administrator
Car: 2011 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Honda CR-V LX
2022 Honda Pilot Special Edition

They're not allowed to clear it as matter of legalities (if they screw something up they're liable for the damages). I've never been in this situation, but I'm willing to bet if you ask them nicely they'll tell you how to clear the codes. A basic scanner that can read and clear codes is relatively inexpensive, and might be something you'd want to invest in. My previous post had a link for one at Walmart that retails for $20.

PalmerWMD
Car: 2004 350Z

I bought one of those right at autozone for 30 bucks if memory serves.. and it walked me through clearing them.. still have it somewhere

jenny1997

DenisMcG wrote:
Mon Jul 06, 2020 4:45 am
The cables probably got hot due to a very high current load. I suspect that they are probably low quality cables. Your battery was likely very low prior to trying to boost the car. Since the car started once the battery was charged, it is unlikely that any damage was caused. The codes could simply be from the car not being driven. Check the air intake to make sure that there is nothing blocking air flow, especially near the maf. Clear the codes and see if they come back.
Thank you!

jenny1997

Rogue One wrote:
Mon Jul 06, 2020 9:14 am
They're not allowed to clear it as matter of legalities (if they screw something up they're liable for the damages). I've never been in this situation, but I'm willing to bet if you ask them nicely they'll tell you how to clear the codes. A basic scanner that can read and clear codes is relatively inexpensive, and might be something you'd want to invest in. My previous post had a link for one at Walmart that retails for $20.
Oooo thanks!
I am going to buy one!

Q451990
Car: 1990 Q45 - 118K, 2022 Toyota 4 Runner, 2004 Frontier M/T - 108K, 2012 Xterra (Mom's), 2023 Rogue (Inlaws)

:rotfl Definitely dump the boyfriend.

jenny1997

Haha!!!

PalmerWMD
Car: 2004 350Z

Your BF did nothing wrong.
Treat him well.

Return to “J30 Forum / M30 Forum”