How to JDM Zenki S14 SR20DET swap into a DOHC S13

For the RWD SR20DET cars! Sponsored by Wiring Specialties.
92vert240
Car: S13 hatch S14SR20 stock record-12.35 at 110, 87 t-type 10.69 at 132. hatch daily.

Taylor_Durdan wrote:
the ground shown in the pictures above is an extra ground for the ALT. it helps to suppress radio noise.

Check to see if you are getting power at the BLK/RED wire at the big grey plug by the battery

Check to see if you are getting power at the BLK/WHT wire at the big grey plug by the battery

test these with the key in the ON position

if not, turn the key to ON and ground out the RED/BLK wire on the brown plug by the battery

the RED/BLK wire is the wire that comes from the ECU to trigger on the ECCS relay that powers up the engine harness. it does this when it the ECU sees voltage from the BLK/RED. this will be a good frist step.

also check for power (key ON) at the large BLU/RED wire at the coil pack harness.
I'll check it. Thanks.

mestizo

92vert240 wrote:
If your talking about the 2 blue relays ECU and IGN relays, Yes i did keep them and did the wireing as per the write up.
Hmm somehting isn't right, but do what Durdan said cuz some of those are the wires I used to power the S14 SR power relays.

Taylor_Durdan

using the S14 SR relays is completely useless as the S13 chassis has those relays already. this can cause some confusion if not done properly.

92vert240
Car: S13 hatch S14SR20 stock record-12.35 at 110, 87 t-type 10.69 at 132. hatch daily.

Taylor_Durdan wrote:
the ground shown in the pictures above is an extra ground for the ALT. it helps to suppress radio noise.

Check to see if you are getting power at the BLK/RED wire at the big grey plug by the battery

Check to see if you are getting power at the BLK/WHT wire at the big grey plug by the battery

test these with the key in the ON position

if not, turn the key to ON and ground out the RED/BLK wire on the brown plug by the battery

the RED/BLK wire is the wire that comes from the ECU to trigger on the ECCS relay that powers up the engine harness. it does this when it the ECU sees voltage from the BLK/RED. this will be a good frist step.

also check for power (key ON) at the large BLU/RED wire at the coil pack harness.
Ok. With the key on i get 12V at the BLK/RED wire at the big gray plug. I get 0.1-0.3 at the BLK/WHT wire at the big gray plug. Nothing at the BLU/RED wire at the coil pack harness. In fact i didnt even see a BLU/RED wire there. I have, on the harness side, not the plug coming from the coil packs, LT BLUE, GREEN, PINK, WHTE, and RED.

when i grounded out the RED/BLK wire on the brown blug, i herd all the relys in the engine relay box clicking, and i then got 12V at both the wires in the gray plug.

So, whats this all meen now?

And whats with the not needing the relays? Should i unplug them?

mestizo

Taylor_Durdan wrote:using the S14 SR relays is completely useless as the S13 chassis has those relays already. this can cause some confusion if not done properly.
Yup they are not needed but I decided to keep them so there was less to modify on the harness. To each their own and I am not really sure how much confusion leaving them there can cause.

92vert240:In my write up I used only the Blk/Red (Ign Switched 12v)and Red (12v Constant) on the S13 grey plug to power the S14 harness, these are connected to the S14 interior plug and in turn lead to the Blue Relays on the S14 harness. The red wire powers the S14 ECU relay which in turn triggers the coil pack relay which is powered by Blk/Red wire... this is the way it was form Nissan.

The only other "power" providing wires is the Brown wire on the S13 brown plug to the Brown wires at pins 21 & 48 on the S14 interior plug, this is the wire that provides all the injectors/sensors on the motor with 12v switched power. As well as the Blk/pink on the S13 brown plug to the pin 30 Black/Yellow wire on the S14 interior plug, this is the fuel pump trigger.

So basically as long as those get 12v at the right times then the harness is fully powered as long as you have it grounded.

I just took a pic of my S14 SR interior plug and there are a few wire colors on it which were duplicated from Nissan so there is a chance that you may have connected to the wrong wire by accident. There are 2 black/yellow wires that are for the most part right next to each other. Also 2 black/red wires next to each other. So please go back and double check which wires you spliced into.

I will provide pics for you in a few mins when I get them all worked out.

mestizo

Also try this since another member on here made a comment about it, put 12v switched power from the brown S13 plug wire or any other 12v switched source to the Blk/Red wire at Pin 40 on the S14 interior plug which leads to Pin 45 on the ECU. I think some of the wiring harness' had a small variant or something because I did not have to do this since it was already interconnected to the S14 relay wires on my harness.
Modified by mestizo at 1:18 PM 12/30/2008

mestizo

I updated the first page with more diagrams of the power routing, also below is the pic I was talking about from the ealier post. As you can see there are a few wires that are the same color so hopefully you didnt mistake any of these.

S14 SR20DET interior plug

Taylor_Durdan

mestizo wrote:
The only other "power" providing wires is the Brown wire on the S13 brown plug to the Brown wires at pins 21 & 48 on the S14 interior plug, this is the wire that provides all the injectors/sensors on the motor with 12v switched power. As well as the Blk/pink on the S13 brown plug to the pin 30 Black/Yellow wire on the S14 interior plug, this is the fuel pump trigger.

So basically as long as those get 12v at the right times then the harness is fully powered as long as you have it grounded.
you are painfully incorrect here. the brown wire only supplies power to the O2 sensor and to the wastegate control solenoids. thats it. and the black/pink wire is the ground trigger for the fuel pump relay. the blak/yellow wire is the switched power wire for the idle air controller.

where are you getting your info? no wonder this kids car isnt running.

as far as the OP, sorry i forgot you had an s14 SR for a moment, it will be the fat BLUE wire on the coilpack plug. you obviously have your red/black wire run incorrectly. take the red/blak wire from the brown plug by the headlight, run it into the car and hook it up to the red/black wire going to the S14 relays.

Taylor_Durdan

mestizo wrote:Also try this since another member on here made a comment about it, put 12v switched power from the brown S13 plug wire or any other 12v switched source to the Blk/Red wire at Pin 40 on the S14 interior plug which leads to Pin 45 on the ECU. I think some of the wiring harness' had a small variant or something because I did not have to do this since it was already interconnected to the S14 relay wires on my harness.

Modified by mestizo at 1:18 PM 12/30/2008
there are no 'variations' to these harnesses, only a handful of different people looking at the harness incorrectly but some how making them work. be careful on the missinformation spread.

mestizo

Ok Durdan I am glad you are a wiring guru... I know you do wiring professionally and that's great. I did it this way and it worked, all I did was provide the S14 SR harness with the same power and grounds it called for from the factory. With that being said I got my info from the FSM's of both cars, funny thing is if I am "painfully incorrect" then why have I had 15-20 e mails from people who used my write up and said it worked great? Only 92vert240 has had a lot issue's everyone else seems to have worked out no problem.

The reason why I say there must have been a variant in the harness is because of the fact that my S14SR harness had the blk/red wires at pins 40 & 38 on the S14sr interior plug interconnected after the interior plug. Why they were connected I don't know but it was a factory Nissan connection, stripped wire ends, metal crimp band, black electrical tape. According to the S14 SR FSM it shows them not connected, but mine was so I just took it as the manual I had was not 100% correct since it was not a true Japanese FSM. People have been doing it this way for while before the member "Whitesol" said he had an issue with it. This was the first time I had heard of those wires not being interconnected and if you took a look at my pinout it has been changed to make it so those wires get connected.

I am not spreading misinformation as you put it, I was asked by a Mod here on Nico to put my write up on Nico. This thread has been around for 9 months before you jumped into it. Also I am not about to argue about what wires go where and what they do. All I know is what the FSM diagrams and the excel pinout's say nothing more. If you don't like my wite up then make one of your own and put it out there.

If this write up bothers you that much then talk to the mods and have them tell me to take it down if you feel it is all wrong. But again I have gotten nothing but positive emails and comments about it. If they had been negative emails saying the write up didn't work I would have removed the write up. Which if you read the begining of my write up it says that I tried several write ups but none of them worked correctly which is why I ended up wiring it my way. I am not here to piss people off or give the wrong information, all I was trying to do was help out.

Taylor_Durdan

hooking up color for color may work, and sure, you may be putting power wher eit tells you to put power... but your explanation of what you are doing is incorrect. just bc you call a tire by a different name, doesnt make it NOT a tire.. it just makes you look ignorant to the fact.

mestizo

I didn't do a color for color match up, end of story. The majority of the wires on both harness' in my write up are not the same color.

What I did was provide the S14 sr harness with the same power it had from the factory. So what? How is that wrong? How is that calling it something else... like a tire for instance?

If you're not here to help then stop posting. Again if my write up bothers you that much and you can prove I am wrong and spreading misinformation as you said then tell the mods about it. I will remove my post and stop trying to help others with this. That way people can send their harness to you to get done and you can get their money.

Lastly Ill say it again, I did this to help and I was asked to make this write up here on Nico. I wasn't charging anyone nor was I trying to put wrong info out there.

Taylor_Durdan

mestizo wrote:

it was this response alone that had me in arms. telling someone to hook power to the blak/pnk wire will not only short the fuel pump relay, but fry the ecu as well. thats what i mean by not explaining it properly. you know that the blk/pnk is the same as the blk/ylw on the s14, and you know what the wire is for.. but not knowing what exactly the wire DOES can steer someone else to doing something that can ruin their project. if advice is to be given, then it should be correct.

thats my argument

__

i bust my *** to provide a clean, correct solution for problems such as this and i'm sorry if i put too much heart into what i do. after doing these harnesses for almost 10yrs, ive seen it all... and it hurts me that someone will just throw out their diagram online without fully understanding what exactly is going on. im all about the DIY'er but i also get a slew of emails bc of diagrams like these from people trying to figure out just what exactly they mean. i guess im just irritated mostly by people that have no earthly clue whatsoever on how to do something, attempt it, fail and then wonder why i have to charge more or take a few extra days to complete and repair their mistakes.

bah.. im just on an irritated ramble at this point.

mestizo

With regard to the fuel pump wiring you are correct... but I was also correct. I am not above admiting that I am wrong ever, but that whole statement should have been much longer of an explanation. I was pissed off at you and typing slower than I was thinking if you understand what I mean. So that should be on it's own line and should read something like this.

"As well as make sure the Blk/pink on the S13 brown plug is connected to the right pin 30 Black/Yellow wire on the S14 interior plug, this is the fuel pump trigger."

So I can see why you would say this was wrong but at the same time I would not have even made this error in my statement had we not gotten into our lil arguement. Bottom line is my write up tells you to connect the right wires to each other for the fuel pump to work.

Without trying make myself sound like a complete a$$hole, I didn't go into much detail so that people would just follow my steps instead of doing their own steps to wiring the harness. I am sure you understand what I am trying to say.

I don't know if this will make you feel any better about putting so much work/effort/pride into what you do... But I didn't just throw a diagram together and make a write up. I was actually done with my swap for almost a month when I was asked to make my write up. Also for about a week I printed out fsm diagrams, excel diagrams, traced them out, wrote my own out and read everything I could before I decided I had a good enough idea of what to do. Some pics below will help illustrate what I am talking about.

This is not all of what I printed/used but this is what I kept after I did my research.

Jonnie Fraz

In case you are wondering if Mestiso's wiring works...here is the video of him at Thunderhill. The first car.http://s145.photobucket.com/al...c.flv

Jonnie Fraz

Any questions?

mestizo

LOL Happy New Year Jon! You could have posted my vid instead of muffinman25's vid. hehehe but thank you tho!

Jonnie Fraz

You are right...LOL. Your vid is much better. Please right click and save as. http://mestiso.net/moviegaller...8.wmv

On a serious note...Mestiso did tons of research on this before taking it on. What he found was most of the stuff out there was incomplete and could lead people down the wrong path. As most of you know taking the time to document stuff to do write ups takes like three times as much time to finish a project, but it makes it easy for the next guy. I have seen Mestiso's car run, and I think I am in the car for some of the video. His car not only runs, but runs very well. Also the install is very clean.

Riekert
Car: Nissan 200sx (SR20DET)

hey man Awesome write-up!

helped me alot... but now I'm stuck. the S14 wiring harness I got is missing a few plugs... the one is the plug to the coil pack harness. the other is the MAF plug.

In regards to the coil pack plug. I deloomed the wires but now need to know where they go... I have the coil harness plug from the S13(CA) harness. so ja... Any help will be appreciated.

thanx!

mestizo

Which coil pack plug are you talking about? The relay plug or the ingnitor plugs?

The place that sold you the swap should give you those plugs if they were cut off when they sold it to you.

Riekert

Its the plug between the main harness and the coilpack harness.

...oh... yeah... you must understand I live in SA(south africa) If you get a decent S14 harness here your in luck... Plus I didn't buy the whole swap off someone. engine from one place harness from another etc.

Also I saw there is a difference between the US S13 interior plug and the South African one. Think mine might be the JDM version. Its a white plug not a brown one like in your pics.

Anyhow again thanx for the help.

mestizo

I still don't knwo which plug you're talking about, there is a pic on the 1st page of the harness use that to show me which plug ur talking about.

Also my write up only works for a the USDM S13 DOHC harness to a JDM Zenki S14 SR20DET motorset, so anything else you would need to look into it further to find out what wires to use. The difference in the color of the interior plugs on a USDM S13 chassis basically tells you if it's a DOHC (brown) or a SOHC (white) harness.

Riekert

aha... thats explains alot. so I have the SOHC plug... cool...

ok here is a pic of the plug:

mestizo

Ok so youre missing the coil pack sub harness plug, I am not sure if you can just match color for color on that Ill have to take a look and get back to you about that. As for the color the interior plug I was talking about in the above post, those colors work for the USDM cars. The other countries chassis may be different.

yabeet
Car: 90' Coupe

Sorry to be OT but Mestizo nice vid, and I see you love the Sunrise soundtracks too

"The Storm"

mestizo

Thanks and yes I am dance/trance/house music fan. So a lot of my vids have that kind of music in them, there have been a few of my vids that have tiesto's mix on them

Stripes
Car: hatch, coupe

Mestizo, I have 2 questions for you.

After following your write up exactly, my fuel pump would not run at all. After tinkering around for a while, I found out that the black and pink wire coming from the fuel pump relay was not getting a completed circuit somewhere along the harness. Then I did a little looking up and found that it is meant to connect to pin 18t. So I just soldered the fuel pump wire right to the ECU, is this okay or does it have to pass through something before reaching the ECU?I tested it and it primes perfect.

My next question is, using this picture could you please identify the knock sensor plug for me? Thanks

It's a long story of why I need this.

mestizo

The fuel pump wire for the S14 SR harness goes from Pin 30 on the interior plug to pin 18 on the ECU so if you connected the Black/pink wire from the S13 harness to pin 18 on the ECU then it will work, that is exactly the same as I said to do in my write up. You might have used the wrong Black/yellow wire on the S14 SR interior plug, there are 2 black/yellows and they are almost right next to each other. That might be why the fuel pump wasn't coming on.

As for the the knock sensor plug it's not on the main harness, there is a sub harness that is on the motor and the main harness gets plugged into that which leads to the knock sensor and other things too.
Modified by mestizo at 11:12 AM 1/5/2009

Stripes
Car: hatch, coupe

Okay, well I think I've got a problem then.

leesredgt
Car: 1992 Toyota MR2 N/A
1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo

Ok,since everybody is asking questions, what are the pros to having and S14 zenki SR as to oppose a S13 Blacktop?I know they had diffrent turbo's.I mean i know the diffrences but if your gonna upgrade either one which is better.Dosent the S13 SR have a high port head isnt that better? Sorry to sound like a noob.Im fixing to sell my RB wednesday and gonna put a SR in the vert so i wanna kinda know before i go buy one next week.

Good write up by the way.

Thanks
Modified by leesredgt at 12:17 AM 1/13/2009

Return to “SR20DET Forum (rear-drive)”