How to JDM Zenki S14 SR20DET swap into a DOHC S13

For the RWD SR20DET cars! Sponsored by Wiring Specialties.
92vert240
Car: S13 hatch S14SR20 stock record-12.35 at 110, 87 t-type 10.69 at 132. hatch daily.

mestizo wrote:No problem I just want to make sure that you understand the write up steps. I just went to the yard and found an already cut harness that had an interior plug, cut it off and spliced it in.
You wanna see if they got another one? If i cant get one im going to cut the one off my daily and just butt connect the wires and forget about the plug.

mestizo

yabeet wrote:Mestizo, what appearance differences are there between the zenki and kouki s14 engines? Would it be just the wiring harness connectors or a sensor or 2 being different?Thanks.
I dont think there are many difference's between the two, but don't quote me on that. As far as I know the only difference is the ecu and harness, but even that may not be much different. I think Hijacker was looking into doing the research on this.
92vert240 wrote:You wanna see if they got another one? If i cant get one im going to cut the one off my daily and just butt connect the wires and forget about the plug.
If I have time I can look and see if I have one laying around. If not I am sure there is some in the Pick n Pull yards out here.

yabeet
Car: 90' Coupe

mestizo wrote:
I dont think there are many difference's between the two, but don't quote me on that. As far as I know the only difference is the ecu and harness, but even that may not be much different. I think Hijacker was looking into doing the research on this.
If you guys dont figure it out by then, I will see if when I go to pick mine up next month if I can tell any differences between them w/ a camera in hand...

mestizo

You can do it if you have a few moments all you need is the pinout for the Kouki harness and then check to see what the wire colors/function are and then just compare it to my pinout's.

Also 92vert240 I went out to the yards today and couldn't find any interior plugs they were all cut out of the cars at Pick n Pull. Sorry I tried find one but it looks like people have been scavanging harnesses.

dm-ka
Car: z32tt-sold, '95 S14-sold, '97 S14-sold, another '95 S14-sold.
Current car: Q45

The only visual difference between Kouki SR and Zenki SR is that Kouki has fins on the front of the head, much like S13 black top. That's about it.

92vert240
Car: S13 hatch S14SR20 stock record-12.35 at 110, 87 t-type 10.69 at 132. hatch daily.

mestizo wrote:You can do it if you have a few moments all you need is the pinout for the Kouki harness and then check to see what the wire colors/function are and then just compare it to my pinout's.

Also 92vert240 I went out to the yards today and couldn't find any interior plugs they were all cut out of the cars at Pick n Pull. Sorry I tried find one but it looks like people have been scavanging harnesses.
Thanks anyway!!!

92vert240

Ok i got my SOHC interior plug. Im not good at computers like mestizo so maybe he can make an exell spreadsheet for the pinout.

Looking at the plug and using the numbers he has on the pinout for the interior plug it goes as follows.

1 - blue/black2 - yellow/red3 - yellow/green4 - open5 - open6 - blue/green7 - black with a double dashed silver line8 - looks black but it is called dark green 9 - white10 - orange 11 - gray/ blue12 - red/yellow13 - black with single dashed sliver line14 - green15 - red16 - purple17 - light green18 - gray

now what? i got two reds and two blacks and some extra colors. Where can i find a piout for ths plug and find out what each one is so i can match them up?17

mestizo

THe interior plug wire colors should be the same on the sohc interior plug so all you would need to do is match color for color.

92vert240

mestizo wrote:THe interior plug wire colors should be the same on the sohc interior plug so all you would need to do is match color for color.
Yes the 6 wires nesessary are the same but the (optional) ones are not. And there are more wires on the SOHC then the DOHC interior plug. I just used the six and hooked everything up. Now im just routing the wiring harness. Looks like the only thing i'll need to extend is the WAF wires. The boost control solenoid and ignitor wires were way short so i think im oing to run the whole assembly to the passenger side where the wires reach and just extend the vacuum lines. Should be running this weekend!!

mestizo

The "extra" wires are the for the consult on 91+ nissan cars, so your car doesn't have this. If you get a consult plug from a 91+ car you can wire it into those wire's but again it's only required if you want to use a consult to read the ecu. It's not needed to make the engine run at all.

yabeet

So I picked up a S14 SR today.So the TPS has 2 connector plugs... makes me wonder [I didnt include the wiring harness w/ sale] I will find the engine vin and run it on Nissan FAST tomorrow to see what car it came out of.

hpballer76
Car: 97 s10 slammed dd.. 89 hatch s14 sr project...

yabeet wrote:So I picked up a S14 SR today.So the TPS has 2 connector plugs... makes me wonder [I didnt include the wiring harness w/ sale] I will find the engine vin and run it on Nissan FAST tomorrow to see what car it came out of.
that engine was probabaly originally an auto. thats the reason for the 2 tps plugs. dont quote me on that but im pretty sure.

yabeet

Hmmm, I didnt know you could get a SR20DET vehicle in Japan w/ an auto...I wonder how that will affect my wiring harness saga... maybe get a manual tps if that is the case.

Either way tomorrow I will find the code and look it up on fast.

hpballer76
Car: 97 s10 slammed dd.. 89 hatch s14 sr project...

yep my s14 sr came with an auto trany on it. and as far as the wiring i was told you can just plug in the tps to one of the plugs and just cover up the other. but i dont know that for sure cause i havent finished my swap yet.

yabeet

Hmm Im going to look for a mtx TPS then. I think that will be pretty tacky looking just sticking out like a sore thumb....

yabeet

Ok guys I have been doing a bit to tell the difference between a zenki and kouki S14 motor.So according to an AVCR manual the Zenki runs from 93-96.5 and kouki runs from 96.6 to sometime in 98.

Now there are 4 plug connectors that go into the ECU, the most basic way to tell is to look at the 2 middle plugs. On a zenki harness and ECU the middle left and middle right plug will have 10 pins across like so:

Middle left plug: . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Middle right plug:. . . . . . . . . .. . . . . . . . . .

On a kouki it will look like this with 7 pins on the middle left plug then 8 pins on the middle right plug going across:

Middle left plug: . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Middle right plug:. . . . . . . .. . . . . . . .

I have a Zenki, oh well. Merry Christmas everyone!

mestizo

Good stuff! I am sure this will help people out there identify their harness.

fast_s13

only differnts i could find on the engine side of zenki and kouki are the maf sensors and plugs

92vert240

Ok just tried to start the car and it doesnt have fuel pressure. Tested for 14 volts at the fuel pump relay and dont have anything. WTF!!!

yabeet

fast_s13 wrote:only differnts i could find on the engine side of zenki and kouki are the maf sensors and plugs
And would you care to tell everyone whats the difference between them?

92vert240

92vert240 wrote:Ok just tried to start the car and it doesnt have fuel pressure. Tested for 14 volts at the fuel pump relay and dont have anything. WTF!!!
I also do not have any spark. Somethings up. Any idea?

mestizo

Recheck your wire connections and then this is the most inportant part... MAKE SURE YOU HAVE GOOD GROUNDS! lol I have had several e mails about the car not having spark or fuel, which happened to be the grounds every time.

There should be one ground from the intake mani to the chassis, one from the back of the head to the chassis, 2 on the back of the intake manifold that go into the engine harness, 1 off the back of the coil packs which grounds to the head, 2 off the lower harness 1 that grounds to the alternator and 1 that grounds to the chassis and finally make sure the battery ground to the chassis is clean.

92vert240

mestizo wrote:Recheck your wire connections and then this is the most inportant part... MAKE SURE YOU HAVE GOOD GROUNDS! lol I have had several e mails about the car not having spark or fuel, which happened to be the grounds every time.

There should be one ground from the intake mani to the chassis, one from the back of the head to the chassis, 2 on the back of the intake manifold that go into the engine harness, 1 off the back of the coil packs which grounds to the head, 2 off the lower harness 1 that grounds to the alternator and 1 that grounds to the chassis and finally make sure the battery ground to the chassis is clean.
I'll check thoes tomorrow. thanks for pointing them all out. But im warning you, nothing i do is ever that easy. lol

92vert240

Ok i checked all the grounds and they are connected and good.

The one i dont see is the lower harness to the chasis. I checked my stock 240 w/ the KA and couldnt see one either. Is this incorporated into one of the plugs by the battery? Cuz i deffinitely did not see one directly from the lower harness to the chasis. Im going to go see if im getting power to the ECU.

mestizo

THe gound on the lower harness would only affect the parts connected to it, so that is prolly not where the problem lies. But I took some pics of this area to show where my harness is connected. I am not sure where the original grounding point was on my chassis cuz I removed everything and painted the engine bay. However I know that it was grounded somewhere on the shock tower so i just cleaned the paint from one of the threaded holes and bolted it there. Also check the large fuses/relays in the under hood fuse/relay box make sure none of those are blown or bad.

92vert240

Well i checked all the fuses everythying looks good. Checked for power on the ECU and i only have power at pin 109 red wire. Not anything on pin 49 or 59 that say ECU POWER in your pinout.

As for tha ground, i dont even have that eylet on the harness. I used the KA harness and checked with my other KA which also doesnt have that ground wire. The s14 lower harness does have it but it runs directly to the starter i believe or alt. Either way like you said this should be the problem.

I cant think of anything else it coul be. I followed your instructions to the T. Everything was soldered with flux, shrink wraped, taped, and loomed.

My friend thinks its a bad ECU but i doubt it. Where can i start testing stuff with the volt meter to trace the problem? Thanks. Should i just e-mail you insted rather than clog up this thread? Would that be easier?

92vert240

This probably isnt a problem either but i dont have the boost pressure sensor wired in yet.

mestizo

The boost pressure sensor shouldnt stop it from starting up and running, and when you did the wiring did you keep the S14 power relays or did u get rid of them? The reason I ask is cuz if you cut them out then this is why you have no power. I made this write up to keep the relays in place all you do is give them power from the S13 plugs.

You can ask me questions here or e mail me, either is cool.

Taylor_Durdan

92vert240 wrote:Well i checked all the fuses everythying looks good. Checked for power on the ECU and i only have power at pin 109 red wire. Not anything on pin 49 or 59 that say ECU POWER in your pinout.

As for tha ground, i dont even have that eylet on the harness. I used the KA harness and checked with my other KA which also doesnt have that ground wire. The s14 lower harness does have it but it runs directly to the starter i believe or alt. Either way like you said this should be the problem.

I cant think of anything else it coul be. I followed your instructions to the T. Everything was soldered with flux, shrink wraped, taped, and loomed.

My friend thinks its a bad ECU but i doubt it. Where can i start testing stuff with the volt meter to trace the problem? Thanks. Should i just e-mail you insted rather than clog up this thread? Would that be easier?
the ground shown in the pictures above is an extra ground for the ALT. it helps to suppress radio noise.

Check to see if you are getting power at the BLK/RED wire at the big grey plug by the battery

Check to see if you are getting power at the BLK/WHT wire at the big grey plug by the battery

test these with the key in the ON position

if not, turn the key to ON and ground out the RED/BLK wire on the brown plug by the battery

the RED/BLK wire is the wire that comes from the ECU to trigger on the ECCS relay that powers up the engine harness. it does this when it the ECU sees voltage from the BLK/RED. this will be a good frist step.

also check for power (key ON) at the large BLU/RED wire at the coil pack harness.

92vert240

mestizo wrote:The boost pressure sensor shouldnt stop it from starting up and running, and when you did the wiring did you keep the S14 power relays or did u get rid of them? The reason I ask is cuz if you cut them out then this is why you have no power. I made this write up to keep the relays in place all you do is give them power from the S13 plugs.

You can ask me questions here or e mail me, either is cool.
If your talking about the 2 blue relays ECU and IGN relays, Yes i did keep them and did the wireing as per the write up.

Return to “SR20DET Forum (rear-drive)”