How to JDM Zenki S14 SR20DET swap into a DOHC S13

For the RWD SR20DET cars! Sponsored by Wiring Specialties.
JK_9000

New question, have everything wired up. The ECU relay is not closing when the key is turned on. I probed the wires that run to the coil. It has +12v via the red wire, but the red/black wire is just floating (no ground). Appreciate any suggestions on where to look for the problem. Thanks.

mestizo

Red/Black wire on what... the S13 harness or the S14 SR harness? Also what S14 motor do you have is it a Zenki or Kouki, my write up is for the Zenki S14 SR.

mcheddadi
Car: R8

I just read your thread about the 240SX Coupe Build Up on mestiso.net.

I bow to your greatness

mestizo

mcheddadi wrote:I just read your thread about the 240SX Coupe Build Up on mestiso.net.

I bow to your greatness
LOL Thanks man , my car has come a long way in only a lil over a year. Kind of hard to believe that I bought it for $500 out a barn.

civic888

Hi,I am presently doing the Zenki S14 SR20DET swap into the S13 chassis. Just wondering how to connect the fuel lines from the fuel filter. There are 2 fuel lineconnections side by side on the S14 motor. Can you tell me which line should be connected together with the fuel filter lines?Also, the black hose that runs across the top front edge of the valve cover, what is it for and how should that be connected?Thanks in advance for your help!

homeslicej2
Car: 1990 S13 SR'd hatch

Nice write-up man

mestizo

civic888 wrote:Hi,I am presently doing the Zenki S14 SR20DET swap into the S13 chassis. Just wondering how to connect the fuel lines from the fuel filter. There are 2 fuel lineconnections side by side on the S14 motor. Can you tell me which line should be connected together with the fuel filter lines?Also, the black hose that runs across the top front edge of the valve cover, what is it for and how should that be connected?Thanks in advance for your help!
The return line goes to the fuel pressure regulator side of the fuel rail. Also are you talking about the black plastic hose on the front of the valve cover? If so that is for the factory blow off valve to recirculate the expelled air back into the intake tube.

Thanks for the compliments everyone!

fulingbusen
Car: n14 gti-r

You seem to know a lot about the electrical stuff.

I have purchased a Japanes Apexi Power FC and I have heard that I need to switch some pinouts in ordr to get it to work in my zenki s14 sr20det.

Do you know where i can find info regarding this?

mestizo

Sorry, I don't have any experience with the Power FC yet. However if you bought the Power FC new then it should have all the documentation you need to install it. If it was a used purchase then I would try contacting Apexi throught their website and see if you can download or have them mail the info you need.

pauliedrft
Car: 91 240sx

Awesome write up i am preparing to do this swap next year . (buying parts now )Great information to have ,thanks to you my deli ma on the drive shaft working or not has just been answered ,keep it up ..

92vert240
Car: S13 hatch S14SR20 stock record-12.35 at 110, 87 t-type 10.69 at 132. hatch daily.

I have a question on the Power plugs. They are the plugs right by the fuse box on the front right engine bay correct? About 4 or 5 of them? If so, this is not part of the ECU harness on the S13. How am i supposed to de-loom thoes plugs back to the ECU? Take the whole car apar? Im lost here.

mestizo

The stock S13 engine wiring harness plugs into the power connections at the fender, the rest of it goes into the cabin through the firewall to the ecu or to the motor. Unplug those 2 plugs, they are grey and brown then trace them back, they will end up going down and around the shock tower then back up to the firewall to the ecu in the car. This is what I was talking about when I said deloom the harness and cut it by the ecu plug.

Edit: Here is a pic to help.
Modified by mestizo at 12:42 AM 11/13/2008

92vert240
Car: S13 hatch S14SR20 stock record-12.35 at 110, 87 t-type 10.69 at 132. hatch daily.

Ok yes i just had a look at a s13 harness out of the car. I was mistaken. Thanks alot. I will be back here for the pinout instructions im sure!! Thanks again. Tyler.

Whitesol

I wasn't able to find any info on wiring differences in the Zenki to Kouki pinouts, so I assume the body connector is the same. Perhaps there is an extra splice somewhere on certain harnesses?

At any rate, I would just like to add that you must wire ECU Pin 45 to a switched 12v+ power supply (black red ~ Pin 40 on interior plug with mestizo's numbers). Without it, the ECU will not turn on, no spark , no fuel , no relays. I used the switched 12v+ for the ignitor relay.

I spent the better part of an afternoon scratching my head trying to figure out why an ECU with power would not turn on.

Cheers,-Scott

Modified by Whitesol at 9:48 PM 11/18/2008
Modified by Whitesol at 10:54 AM 11/19/2008

mestizo

ECU Pin 45 on my harness is interconnected to the power relays from Nissan, there was no change in this wiring cuz it was not necessary on my harness.

Whitesol

mestizo wrote:ECU Pin 45 on my harness is interconnected to the power relays from Nissan, there was no change in this wiring cuz it was not necessary on my harness.
I figured as much. It was just frustrating looking at the wiring knowing I had followed your write-up to the T and it not working.

Great write-up BTW.

mestizo

Thanks! Glad it helped out!

92vert240

When splicing the power wires in, you are to splice into the existing wire from the PIN on the ECU plug called out in your diagram correct? And on the interior plug, cut and reconnect the ne plug correct? Thanks. I'll be doing this tonight.

mestizo

Almost all the connections from the S13 harness are going to end up being spliced into the interior plug wires on the S14 SR harness. If you look at the pinouts I made they say "Pin # on the int. plug" meaning that the s13 wire goes to the wire that sits at that position on the S14 SR interior plug. Other wise it will say "Pin # on the ECU", etc, etc.

92vert240

Ok. Im going to take a crack at it.

How about what the guy above me was saying wih pin 45 on ECU nd pin 40 on interior plug? Is this somthing i should concern myself with? My engine is the first year s14's were made. whether that matters IDK.

mestizo

Unless something was cut or changed on ur harness then my write up should work perfect and you won't need to worry about pin 45 on the ecu cuz it's already connected to the power relays from Nissan so all you need to do is follow my write up. Also the "Zenki" in the title means my write up is for the early or 1st generation of JDM S14 SR20DET motors.

92vert240

Ok thanks. i have the s14 deloomed and all the wires numbered. Also have the KA harness deloomed. Ready to start soldering stuff together. Thanks alot for the help!!!

mestizo

Yup glad I could help!

92vert240

Well as my consistant bad luck continues let me add a few things here.

The SOHC and DOHC plugs are NOT the same. Pinout is opposite for the SOHC and DOHC. I found this out by spending $100 on a DOHC KA harness since the write up was done on that (my car was a SOHC) . Got everything wired up and the interior plugs do not connect. I have a DOHC plug on s14 harness and a white interior plug on the car and they do not line up, in fact they are opposite. Fu*k Me once again. i can never do anything right. Had all my connections soldered, shrink wraped, and taped. Now its going to look like sh*t. AWESOME!!!!!!

mestizo

If you read the original post I said that the DOHC and SOHC interior plugs are different. What I said was the same is the DOHC and SOHC power plugs. I used a SOHC harness in my swap cuz it was cheaper and easier to find than a DOHC harness, so I know for a fact those are the same. But as I stated the interior plugs are different but do the same job with mostly the same colors as well. I choose to keep the DOHC harness uncut for smog purposes later.

However its really an easy fix. You can depin your Brown DOHC plug on the end of your newly made S14->S13 harness and then do the same for the sohc white plug from your original SOHC harness and switch the plugs. All you need is a small tip screw driver or pin to depin the connector's, then just slide them back in and youre done.

Also you can start the car without the interior plug being hooked up, the only thing is it will not read any CEL codes or anything else for that matter on the cluster. It will also not add any extra feul at start up cuz there is no start signal going to the ecu. But it will crank and run. Just be careful not to run it for long without any instrumentation.

92vert240

Im not in any way blaming you. W/o this post ide be up shi*s creek. I thought the only thing different was the color of the plugs.

I dont have a SOHC harness. When i pulled the motor and everything out of this SR car, i put it all in another shell for my daily. I need to locate a SOHC interior WHITE plug so i can de-pin the plug and switch it. If you know anyone or have one please let me know. I have a post in the WTB section. Thanks again. I wish cars were like a deer, shoot at it and it runs. lol

mestizo

No problem I just want to make sure that you understand the write up steps. I just went to the yard and found an already cut harness that had an interior plug, cut it off and spliced it in.

mestizo

No problem I just want to make sure that you understand the write up steps. I just went to the yard and found an already cut harness that had an interior plug, cut it off and spliced it in.

92vert240

Theres no junkyards w/ a 240 SOHC. I already called.

yabeet
Car: 90' Coupe

mestizo wrote:Unless something was cut or changed on ur harness then my write up should work perfect and you won't need to worry about pin 45 on the ecu cuz it's already connected to the power relays from Nissan so all you need to do is follow my write up. Also the "Zenki" in the title means my write up is for the early or 1st generation of JDM S14 SR20DET motors.
Mestizo, what appearance differences are there between the zenki and kouki s14 engines? Would it be just the wiring harness connectors or a sensor or 2 being different?Thanks.

Return to “SR20DET Forum (rear-drive)”